Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
257 user(s) are online (224 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  C2
Abbreviation for the 2nd generation of Corvettes built from 1963-1967....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

Matatk Saturday Chat 01.23.10
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Good Morning CGs!

Well, I got stuck a little late at work last night. Not bad to add a couple hours to the paycheck, but still wasn't number 1 on my agenda. As such, I missed my workout because I didn't get home until 7. So instead of working out I ate a hamburger and drank beer and watched Burn Notice (best show!). Quite the polar opposite of working out. Ah well. I'll get back into the swing of things tonight.

On a side note, I did end up with 400 sq ft of prefinished oak flooring in my dining room last night. It will be there until next Friday when the BIL and I will be putting it down in the living room and family room. Exciting, huh? Funny how when my wife wants something it happens overnight.....

Hope everyone has a great day!

Matthew
Posted on: 2010/1/23 12:42

teebee Re: Saturday Chat 01.23.10
2014 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Lakin, Kansas 67860
12368 Posts

Have you read the instructions on putting the flooring down,Matt? They used to say spread the flooring out to allow it to acclimate to the surrounding. Just thought I'd suggest that.

We are headed out to middle grandson's b-ball game today. An hour and a half drive, play for 40 minutes and then another hour and half home. Oh well.

I worked on my cabinets until 10:30 last night, I'm making headway on them. Need to get the last six doors glued up and then sand, stain and finish.
Posted on: 2010/1/23 13:21

One of Americas' proud Deplorable

Resized Image
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

BillH Re: Saturday Chat 01.23.10
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:
Good Morning CGs!

On a side note, I did end up with 400 sq ft of prefinished oak flooring in my dining room last night. It will be there until next Friday when the BIL and I will be putting it down in the living room and family room.
Matthew

2ond on what Tom said about letting it acclimate.
How are you putting it down? Glue, staple, clicklock?

The only problem I had with my oak was mix/match on the large & small grain patterns and varying colors.
Posted on: 2010/1/23 15:05

pianoguy Re: Saturday Chat 01.23.10
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Instructions? Bah, they're for losers. Or for reference when in the middle of the install, you can't figure out why nothing is working, or why you have parts left over ;-)

Tom, you sound like my late father-in-law - he was always making cabinets for someone, and did beautiful work. Takes patience that most of us don't have. As for the game, hopefully the 3-hour commute will be worth some good memories.

The roads here (and my driveway) were an ice rink last night, just awful. I was lucky that I had half a bag of salt laying around in the garage, just enough to spread some so that we could get my sons cars into the driveway. I was glad to look out the window this morning and see that they didn't slide back out into the street. More freezing rain supposedly on the way, should be delightful.

Have a great weekend, everyone! Looking forward to the Vikings/Saints game tomorrow night. Some local fan put together a pretty cool video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5Vl8YakINc
Posted on: 2010/1/23 15:09

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

vetteblondie Re: Saturday Chat 01.23.10
Master Guru
Jonesboro, AR
4652 Posts

Ugh.... Just got up. Got home at 3am from a girlflriend's birthday party in Memphis. Dreary and cool outside. Thought I might take a 3mile walk around the local track but I've bout talked myself out of it. Good day to just go back to bed.
I also agree with the others on the acclamation of the flooring. Have some beer on hand, it goes pretty fast. I did the living/dining room in my previous house in no time. Doofus husband just stood there
He also didn't help me with the carpet either, or much else for that matter.
Hope everyone has a good day!
Posted on: 2010/1/23 17:20

Yes, I'm a bitch... just not YOURS.

Resized Image

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

vetteblondie wrote:
I did the living/dining room in my previous house in no time. Doofus husband just stood there !

People like that drive me insane, its better if they just leave.
I had a friend like that where I used to live that had a knack for getting people to help him then, just watching. He caught me one time, switching a 4 speed for a 5 speed in his car. He said we'll change this trans then just watched the whole time. I didn't "help" him again.
6 months later, his story was "We changed it", a year later it was "I changed it"
Posted on: 2010/1/23 18:54

itlgo2 Re: Saturday Chat 01.23.10
Guru Newb
Missouri
288 Posts

Happy Saturday Guru's:

All is well in Miwest Missouri,
NO Sun, i think it moved away.
Gonna clean up the garage a little today after a couple months of winter abuse. Watching the squirrel's on the bird feeders, man i wish i was that limber. All is well at the bar n grill, wifey works today i go in later, early evening. Cleanin garage, hour in hot tub. gearing up for playoff football tomorrow.
Posted on: 2010/1/23 19:22

biggrizzly Re: Saturday Chat 01.23.10
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

Hey guys. I been bustin' my tail for two days trying to get ready for our Corvette Club Awards Dinner tonight. It should be a lot of fun. As President of the club I will get very little goof off time or be able to partake in the open bar!! Damn.

I'm looking forward to taking it easy tomorrow after this past me by.

I hope your flooring is better than the stuff they put in my house. I moved in here and someone had it installed prior to our move-in and I'm not that crazy about this stuff. It still seems kind of fake to me. Not like the hardwood floors I grew up with.

Anyhow - Good luck with the project Matt
Posted on: 2010/1/23 19:24

teebee Re: Saturday Chat 01.23.10
2014 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Lakin, Kansas 67860
12368 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:
Quote:

vetteblondie wrote:
I did the living/dining room in my previous house in no time. Doofus husband just stood there !

People like that drive me insane, its better if they just leave.
I had a friend like that where I used to live that had a knack for getting people to help him then, just watching. He caught me one time, switching a 4 speed for a 5 speed in his car. He said we'll change this trans then just watched the whole time. I didn't "help" him again.
6 months later, his story was "We changed it", a year later it was "I changed it"

Yup...happens all over I guess. VB...you must have been married to the same guy that one of my co-workers was married to....she calls him "doofus" too. With a name like that it has to be the same person.

Back from the three hour drive. Not much of a game our boys ran into a buss saw. There are memories, but not the kind you want......
Posted on: 2010/1/23 19:28

One of Americas' proud Deplorable

Resized Image

Matatk Re: Saturday Chat 01.23.10
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Quote:

teebee wrote:
Have you read the instructions on putting the flooring down,Matt? They used to say spread the flooring out to allow it to acclimate to the surrounding. Just thought I'd suggest that.

Thanks for the tips. I'm familiar with the procedure. I'll let it breath for a day or two before install. Biggest problem is removing all the furniture from the two rooms! After that I have to tear up the carpet and get that all cleared out. We'll be using a pneumatic nailer and obviously and electric miter saw. Still have to pick up the underlayment and haven't decided if I'm using bullnose, t-molding, or nothing for the joint between the tile and hardwood. Depends on height of subfloor/tile and how straight it is.

Matthew
Posted on: 2010/1/23 22:54

Master Guru
Jonesboro, AR
4652 Posts

Ain't they all named 'doofus' ?????

LOL well, my two were anyway...

Guess that's why I learned to do stuff. They stood there like idiots and I was not gonna, nor could afford to pay for something I figured if I tried hard enough I could do.
Well, one could fix the vette, but then after his full grown rottweiler getting on the hood of it and he did nothing, he wasn't allowed near it, either.
Posted on: 2010/1/24 0:46

Resized Image

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:
After that I have to tear up the carpet and get that all cleared out. We'll be using a pneumatic nailer and obviously and electric miter saw. Still have to pick up the underlayment and haven't decided if I'm using bullnose, t-molding, or nothing for the joint between the tile and hardwood. Depends on height of subfloor/tile and how straight it is.

Matthew

Ha, wait until you pull the padding under the carpet and find a million staples that won't come up with the padding.

I used 15 lb roof felt for the underlayment (per instructions), very cost effective.

I couldn't stand the crappy tile to wood molding at HD, hate the way it overlaps.
Posted on: 2010/1/24 1:18

TommyT-Bone Re: Saturday Chat 01.23.10
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

A home is what you make it. Sounds like Matt is turning his house into a home. I'll be waiting for pics. Bill H did wonders with his.
Posted on: 2010/1/24 1:30

Master Guru
Jonesboro, AR
4652 Posts

Yes, Pics!

I enjoy working on old houses. My last one was a 1920's house. Sad my ex was 'doofus' and I had to leave him with it after all my hard work....
Posted on: 2010/1/24 5:32

Resized Image

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.