Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
286 user(s) are online (235 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
 Register To Post

biggrizzly Stambaugh Chevrolet, a Step Back in Time, by Don Haller
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

Here is a article I just wrote for a local automotive newspaper. It's also printed in my club newsletter this month. I was motivated by my visit to this dealership to write this and share my short experience there.

A Step Back in Time
by Don Haller

Stambaugh Chevrolet stands on a corner near the center of town in Hampstead, Maryland, about 25 miles Northwest of Baltimore. There has been a Chevrolet dealership at this intersection since the early 1930s, and unfortunately will be no more come October of this year, due to cutbacks and downsizing of dealerships by General Motors last fall. I found myself at Stambaugh when I answered an advertisement I found online on Craigslist for a glass display cabinet that was for sale. As President of the Corvette Club of America, I wanted to buy a cabinet to display club memorabilia and other Corvette goodies at our sponsor in Silver Spring, MD; Sport Chevrolet. It was truly ironic that when I talked to the guy on the phone that he told me the glass display cabinet was located at a Chevy dealership in Hampstead, Maryland. He heard me lightly chortle as I asked him how to get there and that I would be moving the cabinet back down the road to another dealership if it looked like a promising piece.

Early Saturday morning, back at Sport Chevrolet, Robert Kramer graciously arranged a new cube van for me to pick up and carry the glass case back to Sport. I hooked up with CCA Member Jim Parisi and off we went to Hampstead MD without really having any clue as to what or where Hampstead might be. A scenic drive through the snow covered countryside of Baltimore and Carroll counties in Maryland brought us to a quaint little town that seemed to have left the hustle bustle of the Baltimore/Washington corridor behind!! As soon as I pulled up in front of the dealership I could tell it had character and wondered why there were no new Chevrolets in the showroom. It then occurred to me that it must be one of the dealerships slated for closing. What a sad thought that was, as I stood looking at a time capsule of the 1950s. If I could just squint my eyes hard enough I could see that 1957 Corvette sitting in the showroom surrounded by a nice Chevy Step-side and a Bel Air sitting next to it in the other corner! It was also amazing to see the original hardwood floors worn but still intact and some hints of vintage automotive signs here and there. Parts and Service were provided from the same counter and sales was just around the corner. There was nobody there except Larry Rife, the Sales Manager who was there to show me the case which was standing near the customer waiting area. Over time it had been used to display die-cast models of Chevrolet automobiles and other items for sale. After I paid the gentleman for the case, I wandered around a bit more daydreaming about what it would have been like to be there in the 50s or 60s and then poked around some more, snapping a few photos with my tiny digital camera that seemed so awfully out of place in this little automotive museum we had stumbled upon. After we finished loading the van we backed out and headed out of town wishing there were a way to save this treasure of Chevrolet history! Sadly there are hundreds more like this in small towns all over the U.S. that will be closing their doors this October too!

Note: On the eve of March 05, 2010 after I wrote this piece, GM had announced that they would be reinstating 600 dealerships throughout the country. However, a list has not been released at this time, perhaps our friends at Stambaugh will get another chance yet.

Corvette Club of America is based in central Maryland and services the Maryland and DC Metropolitan regions. It is the oldest Corvette Club in the United States.

Attach file:

jpg  stambaugh01.jpg (174.85 KB)
342_4b925267a9c61.jpg 800X600 px

jpg  stambaugh03.jpg (187.66 KB)
342_4b9252778abb5.jpg 800X600 px

jpg  stambaugh09.jpg (181.17 KB)
342_4b92528f3b173.jpg 800X600 px

jpg  stambaugh08.jpg (182.07 KB)
342_4b9252a837dcf.jpg 800X600 px

jpg  stambaugh10.jpg (154.73 KB)
342_4b9252b2e433f.jpg 800X600 px
Posted on: 2010/3/6 13:12
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

BillH Re: Stambaugh Chevrolet, a Step Back in Time, by Don Haller
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Nice article, Don.

10 years ago, an even smaller Chev dealer closed down (very small town, nobody wanted to take over the business).

A couple guys from the local Vette club knew the owner, asked him if they could take a look in some of the old buildings for any parts they could buy.

They ended up with a large U-Haul full of 50s & 60s NOS parts that they bought for next to nothing.
Posted on: 2010/3/6 16:29

biggrizzly Re: Stambaugh Chevrolet, a Step Back in Time, by Don Haller
4543 Posts

Bill, I already fished around for that one, he wasn't even interested in an offer I made for the Chevroler Parts Clock sitting on top of the file cabinets. It was probably from the 60s or 70s.
Posted on: 2010/3/6 17:36

bogus Re: Stambaugh Chevrolet, a Step Back in Time, by Don Haller
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

There is a chance they will stay open. GM is keeping 661 open as long as they meet GM standards for financial performance.

Or something to that effect.

Nice story... and I hope you get to do the follow-up when they stay open!
Posted on: 2010/3/6 19:38

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Matatk Re: Stambaugh Chevrolet, a Step Back in Time, by Don Haller
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Nice article, Don. I bet the dealership would benefit from a more retro facelift based on the way you describe it in the article. The inside looks like a cheesy 1994 rehab job. Stark blue counters and white walls
Posted on: 2010/3/7 12:39

Curtis1974 Re: Stambaugh Chevrolet, a Step Back in Time, by Don Haller
Elite Guru
Bolingbrook, IL
1070 Posts

Nice article Don! Sad thing that some of these "small town" dealerships have to close down after so many years. Just think of all the classics that graced that showroom floor............
Posted on: 2010/3/7 13:34

flyboy Re: Stambaugh Chevrolet, a Step Back in Time, by Don Haller
Elite Guru
Westmont, Il.
2632 Posts

Nice piece. That is just so weird, the gummint owning G.M.
Posted on: 2010/3/7 14:02

biggrizzly Re: Stambaugh Chevrolet, a Step Back in Time, by Don Haller
4543 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:
Nice article, Don. I bet the dealership would benefit from a more retro facelift based on the way you describe it in the article. The inside looks like a cheesy 1994 rehab job. Stark blue counters and white walls

It must have looked sweet in 1994 with a C4 like mine sitting in that showroom then! I think most of the dealerships have the blue and white thing going on as they have to use the franchise colors. Even with the funky upgrades inside there were hints everywhere of the age of the place. But you called it right on, as the dealership changed franchise owners in the mid 90s, and was probably remodeled at that time.

I also found out that all of the signage like the big lighted signs out front of the dealership and the other lighted signs that brand GM are all leased from GM for a hefty sum!
Posted on: 2010/3/7 15:54

pianoguy Re: Stambaugh Chevrolet, a Step Back in Time, by Don Haller
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Very cool, Don - great story!
Posted on: 2010/3/7 18:31

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

BrianCunningham Re: Stambaugh Chevrolet, a Step Back in Time, by Don Haller
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

Best of luck to the dealer.

Quote:

flyboy wrote:
Nice piece. That is just so weird, the gummint owning G.M.

they didn't buy it, they loaned it money, which they're paying back
Posted on: 2010/3/7 19:38

bogus Re: Stambaugh Chevrolet, a Step Back in Time, by Don Haller
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

yea... a loan does not constitute ownership.

Unless the recipient doesn't repay... then it gets repo'd.
Posted on: 2010/3/7 22:07

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

teebee Re: Stambaugh Chevrolet, a Step Back in Time, by Don Haller
2014 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Lakin, Kansas 67860
12370 Posts

Bill that dealership picture you took could have been taken 25 miles from here....again a GM (Pontiac/Buick/GMC) dealer. Same rounded front, same 1950's brick....except we don't have the snow!
Posted on: 2010/3/8 20:18

One of Americas' proud Deplorable

Resized Image

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.