Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
255 user(s) are online (203 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  4L60E
1994-1996, the 4L60 with Electronic Control. From what I have seen, it seems a bit more durable....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

tobijohn A few queations about dyno curves, streetability and mods
Senior Guru
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
515 Posts

Excuse my ignorance but I've got a couple of questions.

1) If the dyno curves for a given engine were say, 100 HP/100 ft.-lbs higher than that of a stock LT1/4 (or any stock engine for that matter) but were exactly parallel to the stock curves, would the street manners/drivability seem the same (just more git)?

2) If the above is true, is it then possible to build or modify an existing motor to duplicate the stock curves but just much higher on the graph? I know that with performance there are a lot of variables that interact and overlap but is it possible? Or do most engine builders just deal in generalities? TIA...
Posted on: 2008/1/9 0:48
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

CFI-EFI RE:A few queations about dyno curves, streetability and mods
Senior Guru
Top of Utah
372 Posts

Most modifications are aimed at increasing the breathing ability of the engine. As the engine speed increases, so does the demand for air. With better breathing, the torque can peak at a higher rpm. Since horsepower approximately equals torque times rpms, most all performance modifications will result in higher rpm peaks in both the horsepower and torque curves.

Often, the ability to ingest more air, in total, reduces the amount of air that can be taken in at lower speeds. Like lazy air flow in large ports, reduced cylinder filling at low speeds caused by cams with long duration, etc.

RACE ON!!!
Posted on: 2008/1/9 1:53

tobijohn RE:A few queations about dyno curves, streetability and mods
Senior Guru
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
515 Posts

So it's inevitable that as peak values move higher on the dyno chart, those peaks also will move to the right as well? Do I understand that correctly?
Posted on: 2008/1/9 2:01

cuisinartvette RE:A few queations about dyno curves, streetability and mods
Elite Guru
1782 Posts

A supercharger would do that real well.

If youre not a F.I. guy put plenty of stroke into the motor and keep the same powerband just raise the bar some.
Posted on: 2008/1/9 3:43

Notorious RE:A few queations about dyno curves, streetability and mods
Elite Guru
Downbound train, NC
2184 Posts

Quote:

If youre not a F.I. guy put plenty of stroke into the motor and keep the same powerband just raise the bar some.

Worked for me.
Posted on: 2008/1/9 4:30

SpeedHound RE:A few queations about dyno curves, streetability and mods
Registered Vendor
Social Circle, GA
119 Posts

hit it with a 100 shot of N2O and you'll have your new curve.

The Gen 3/4 motors have similar curves to the LTs. They are higher and go into the higher RPMs better. Still very similar though.

Also as mentioned, forced induction or bigger cubes will do it too.

I question your drivability comment. What are your driving towards? A better understanding of all this or searching for a proper build to suit your needs/wants? Drivability is so subjective. It's worse than which exhaust sounds best type questions.
Posted on: 2008/1/9 4:38

www.speedhound.com

LSx swap parts - performance - repairs - restoration

Josh RE:A few queations about dyno curves, streetability and mods
Guru
Raleigh, NC
666 Posts

Here's a graph from my 1992 383 stroker. I don't own the car anymore, but it is/was pretty much exactly what you are asking for. 100 more HP than stock, near stock street manners.

On a 100 shot, with some timing pulled.

[URL=http://img227.imageshack.us/my.php?image=n20dyno1ib9.jpg]Resized Image[/URL]

NA, normal timing, everyday street mode.

[URL=http://img212.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dynovf8.jpg]Resized Image[/URL]

It was a pretty simply combo, and drove nearly stock. It idled a bit high, about 950, but it ran pretty well for what it was.
Posted on: 2008/1/9 11:58

dan0617 RE:A few queations about dyno curves, streetability and mods
Senior Guru
Tyrone, PA
1260 Posts

If I got the question right then I think the answer is this: If you effectively increase the torque from idle the whole way up, you have a faster car, and you shouldn't lose "street manners" since the torque down low increased, but there is no guarantee. Usually if you cam it so big that you lose street manners, you will see that in the lower rpm's of the torque curve. The wrench in the mix is this.....the torque curve is printed while the car is at WOT from idle or so, but the street manners is "measured" while you are at part throttle. It might be possible to increase low end torque and still lose street manners. That is where the matched combo comes into play. FI gives you power and retains street manners. N20 gives you the same everything till you hit the switch. A good matched combo is tricky. You want all the power you can get but still maintain streetability. If you lose some low end gears can help make that up, but that can be a tradeoff too. I like the idea of staying just on the mild side with the build and the gears, to make a nice mannered but fast streetable car, then spray it with a 125 shot. Someday I'll up the cam some more and do a 383. IMO, supercharge if you can afford and it is a street car or daily driver.
Posted on: 2008/1/9 13:00

CFI-EFI RE:A few queations about dyno curves, streetability and mods
Senior Guru
Top of Utah
372 Posts

Quote:
So it's inevitable that as peak values move higher on the dyno chart, those peaks also will move to the right as well? Do I understand that correctly?
I didn't do a good job of completing my thought. Because of the relationship between torque and horsepower, as previously stated, if you increase the amount of torque at any given rpm, the HP will be higher at that rpm, also. If the amount of torque stays the same, but it occurs at a higher rpm, the HP will be higher even though the torque isn't.

As stated by others, the only ways to duplicate a power curve, only higher, is through cubic inches and/or forced induction. However, even a larger engine will need some changes over the old engine, or the peak numbers may occur at lower rpms. the bigger engine will need slightly more cam, more port size, etc to maintain the same peaks.

RACE ON!!!
Posted on: 2008/1/9 16:31

vis_croceus RE:A few queations about dyno curves, streetability and mods
Senior Guru
VA
260 Posts

Quote:
As stated by others, the only ways to duplicate a power curve, only higher, is through cubic inches and/or forced induction.

Take a car that comes from the factory with heads that outflow it's valve lift, like the LT1.

Now add more valve lift with negligible changes to valve events.

Shouldn't this raise the curve everywhere?

I guess it will raise it more on the top end, so it won't "duplicate'" the curve, but then the same applies to FI.
Posted on: 2008/1/9 19:34

BrianCunningham RE:A few queations about dyno curves, streetability and mods
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

That's the main reason I'm going with FI

Take a look at this graph.
Stock LT1 vs supercharged LT1 with cam & heads.
as a 350ci and as a 383ci
Resized Image
Posted on: 2008/1/9 21:20

BrianCunningham RE:A few queations about dyno curves, streetability and mods
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

That's the main reason I'm going with FI

Take a look at this graph.
Stock LT1 vs supercharged LT1 with cam & heads.
as a 350ci and as a 383ci
Resized Image
Posted on: 2008/1/9 21:20

tobijohn RE:A few queations about dyno curves, streetability and mods
Senior Guru
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
515 Posts

Thanks for all the input. guys. I believe I got the answers I was looking for....
Posted on: 2008/1/9 23:55

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.