Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
276 user(s) are online (225 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Transverse Leaf Spring
(TLS) A design first used by Chevrolet in the 1963 Corvette with independent rear suspension. When centrally mounted, it functions similarly to two ...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

Calm Skip White Performance
Senior Guru
Vancouver, Canada
608 Posts

Hi Gurus.

Need your advise.

I spun a rod last week and have pulled my motor. My LT1 is an Eagle 383 rotating assy. Cast. 5.7 rods. KB Hyper slugs.

I have searched the forums and found many* engine builders that claimed Scat is FAR superior to Eagle (*BLOCKMAN is one).

Any of you heard about them? Dealt with them? Had any dealings with them? Are they trustworthy?

Reason I ask is they deal with both Scat AND Eagle cranks.

They claim that BOTH are equal in quality. That they have sold and built many stroker kits (and engines) using both and have absolutlely no preference.

Funny, but it costs more (up here) to gring my crank than to purchase a replacement, thus the plan to replace.
Posted on: 2010/5/18 8:04
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Durango_Boy Re: Skip White Performance
Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
2583 Posts

I have ordered from Skip before and had good experiences. That being said the only things I know are what I have read. He seems to be a very experienced engine builder and machine shop but he is very opinionated.

Just because something works well for him he'll tell everyone the same thing even if the same situation does not apply.

As a side note, I see nothing wrong with using either Scat or Eagle. Get what you feel more comfortable with.
Posted on: 2010/5/18 8:57

PeteK Re: Skip White Performance
Nanticoke, Pa
1311 Posts

Quote:

Calm wrote:
Hi Gurus.

Need your advise.

I spun a rod last week and have pulled my motor. My LT1 is an Eagle 383 rotating assy. Cast. 5.7 rods. KB Hyper slugs.

I have searched the forums and found many* engine builders that claimed Scat is FAR superior to Eagle (*BLOCKMAN is one).

Any of you heard about them? Dealt with them? Had any dealings with them? Are they trustworthy?

They claim that BOTH are equal in quality. That they have sold and built many stroker kits (and engines) using both and have absolutlely no preference.

Funny, but it costs more (up here) to gring my crank than to purchase a replacement, thus the plan to replace.

Replacing the crank is cheap. Balancing the crank, not so cheap. My guy charges $200 labor to blance, and heavy metal (mallory) is $50 per slug, as needed.
New crank + shipping+ balancing can add up quickly.
Posted on: 2010/5/18 10:56

Matatk Re: Skip White Performance
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

I bought a starter from Skip White and had good customer service. Starter was a bum, but they sent me a new one right away.

As far as scat vs eagle, my builder said they are basically the same thing. For my build, we used scat.

Matthew
Posted on: 2010/5/18 11:21

anesthes Re: Skip White Performance
Master Guru
Boston, MA
646 Posts

Quote:

Calm wrote:
Hi Gurus.

Need your advise.

Scat and eagle are made from the same blanks. Machined in different buildings. Like many others, I've been told by the machine shop that one takes more than the other to balance.

Last rotating assembly I had balanced (august) cost me $125, which was just drilling. In the past I've had cranks that needed tungsten added, which adds to the cost a little bit.

If you still have a record of the bob weight, you could simply have skip balance the crank to that and a stock flywheel.

-- Joe
Posted on: 2010/5/18 12:05

Josh Re: Skip White Performance
Guru
Raleigh, NC
666 Posts

I have bought a couple things from Skip White with no complaints. I got some valve covers once that were damaged and they sent me a new set with relatively little drama. I wouldn't steer someone away from them.

As far as scat/eagle; both are at the budget end of the spectrum, and I don't feel there is a ton of difference. I had a scat crank in my LTX 383 car a few years ago, and have an Eagle crank in my current 383. No problems either way.

You didn't mention peak RPM or power level, those could affect the choice, but as long as you aren't doing anything outside the norm, I don't think you'll have a problem.
Posted on: 2010/5/18 22:41

BrianCunningham Re: Skip White Performance
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

sorry to hear

how did you spin the bearing?

I know it's fairly easy to do with the stock bottom end.
Posted on: 2010/5/18 23:52

Calm Re: Skip White Performance
Senior Guru
Vancouver, Canada
608 Posts

Thanks guys for the info.

I've spoken to them and they'll be getting back to me tomorrow.

Initially, I had hoped to just replace crank & brgs but now decided to go over the entire engine. I've put on about 15,000 miles since the last rebuild and some items are showing wear like the Cloyes chain and cam gear. Cam gear shows some mushrooming on gears! Cylinders still show cross-hatch so I should be good with my .030 pistons.

I won't ever be spraying this, so cast will be just fine.

Once I get my rev limit finally set, that is.
Posted on: 2010/5/19 0:08

Calm Re: Skip White Performance
Senior Guru
Vancouver, Canada
608 Posts

Quote:

BrianCunningham wrote:
sorry to hear

how did you spin the bearing?

I know it's fairly easy to do with the stock bottom end.

Funny story.

I pulled it out of winter storage and on my way back from the car wash, my IAC was acting up bad so I was using two feet to do three foot's work. Some guy on an R1 mistook that as being an invite to race or something, kept bliping his throttle beside me.

So I lit them up. Sideways. Think I spun it to 8k or so.

Tom Wong set my limiter to 6,400, but he also repaired my pcm later and perhaps forgot to re-set it? Dunno, but once it's back on the road I'm getting him to dynotune it.
Posted on: 2010/5/19 0:20

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.