Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
291 user(s) are online (242 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Offset
The distance from the wheel mounting flange to the imaginary centerline of the wheel. Wheels with negative offset will protrude outwards more, while...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

TommyT-Bone Spring Cleaning List
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

My wife and I are guilty of having a house full of stuff. While my house may be crowded, my sisters house is packed. Packed from room to room, ceiling to floor with enough stuff to furnish 3 apartments. She recently had to move or should I say, is still moving after a month. She has so much stuff she now has to pay rent twice while she moves for both her old and new place. I don't have any sympathy for her because I told her to declutter 25 years ago. If she want's to lug around all that shit it's her problem.
We've lived in our house for 26 years now. Hurricane Andrew helped us declutter back in 1992. Looks like I need another hurricane to straighten us out around here. Being retired I have been able to clear out a lot of stuff from my shed and yard and a few things from the house only to buy new stuff that takes up even more space. Anyway, I came accross this list of 50 things to get rid of and I thought some of you might like it. You younger guys, keep the jump on getting rid of stuff or you'll wish you had when it comes time to move. Either that or you can leave it for your heirs.

Here's the link

http://bulletin.aarp.org/yourworld/po ... 0__spring.comments.0.html

Posted on: 2010/5/20 10:17
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Matatk Re: Spring Cleaning List
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

We clean a couple times a year and donate a bunch of stuff to one of the local veteran's associations. Works well for both of us.

Matthew
Posted on: 2010/5/20 11:35

BillH Re: Spring Cleaning List
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

I'm planning on starting my 2008 spring cleaning soon, very soon.
Posted on: 2010/5/20 13:21

Fluff Re: Spring Cleaning List
Senior Guru
Winchester UK & Alicante ES
247 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:
I'm planning on starting my 2008 spring cleaning soon, very soon.

This made me wonder what items forum members have hoarded despite them never likely to be of use/used.

I was tidying the garage a few days ago and I put a hammer head (just the head) back in a tool box. When I think about I’ve been moving this hammer head from box to box, intending to put a new shaft on it, for about 15 years!

I do keep and use daily a Revox Hi-Fi system, including a couple of ¼” tape decks and an old Grundig radio… all about 30 years old, but I consider these acceptable as I’m not a big fan of digital music formats so I keep this stuff going.

Anyone else hoard anything that’s unlikely to ever be used (8 tracks, betamax etc perhaps)?
Posted on: 2010/5/20 13:52

bogus Re: Spring Cleaning List
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Watch that show on A&E about hoarding... you will not let it happen.
Posted on: 2010/5/20 14:36

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

Fluff wrote:
I do keep and use daily a Revox Hi-Fi system, including a couple of ¼” tape decks and an old Grundig radio… all about 30 years old, but I consider these acceptable as I’m not a big fan of digital music formats so I keep this stuff going.

Anyone else hoard anything that’s unlikely to ever be used (8 tracks, betamax etc perhaps)?

A Harmon-Kardon Citation 16 power amp that weighs about 75 lbs.
4 Advent speakers with the bass speakers cracked
A Newmark mixer/equlizer that works, I think.
A BIC turntable with a broken belt.

I did clean up the garage a couple of years ago, took 4 pickup loads to the landfill.

Last year was tough, I had 53 used racing slicks next to the garage that i took to the recycling center, cost me $4.50 each to get rid of them.
Posted on: 2010/5/20 15:12

Fluff Re: Spring Cleaning List
Senior Guru
Winchester UK & Alicante ES
247 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:

Last year was tough, I had 53 used racing slicks next to the garage that i took to the recycling center, cost me $4.50 each to get rid of them.

4.5 to get rid, I don't what slicks run at, but how much would 53 have cost new... or is that not something to ponder on! ?

Just opened my computer desk and there sits a couple of 5 1/2" floppies... why I'm thinking
Posted on: 2010/5/20 17:23

383tpimachine Re: Spring Cleaning List
Master Guru
Corpus Christi
976 Posts

im young but I seem to hoard old cloths. I buy massive amounts during summer and winter to last me a while since I hate shopping but never throw out any old.

Then there is the "space" part bin from when my car was in a million pieces. Everytime I work on her the jar gets a lil closer to the top
Posted on: 2010/5/20 20:14

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

Fluff wrote:
Quote:

BillH wrote:

4.5 to get rid, I don't what slicks run at, but how much would 53 have cost new... or is that not something to ponder on! ?

I usually refuse to add up racing costs but those slicks would cost $6625.00 and actually, they're very inexpensive slicks, 13 inch.
Luckly, I have a manual tire machine or the mounting & balancing would have added an additional $625.00.
Posted on: 2010/5/20 21:45

teebee Re: Spring Cleaning List
2014 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Lakin, Kansas 67860
12370 Posts

Well the wife and I did some of that last week. Took 3 BIG trash bags of clothing to "Good Will" I hauled a bunch of old computer parts out to the dumpster and a bunch more crap out of the back room. Some stuff I put up on Craigslist, if no one takes me up on it I'm hauling it to the dump. I need to go through my shop and get rid of a bunch of scraps, pieces big enough to use....but never do. I suppose I should go through the garage as well, could probably find stuff there that needs to go.
Posted on: 2010/5/20 22:23

One of Americas' proud Deplorable

Resized Image

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

teebee wrote:
. I need to go through my shop and get rid of a bunch of scraps, pieces big enough to use....but never do.

I have piles of wood scraps just in case, cans filled with wood screws that I'm to lazy to sort, tubes of wood glue that's always rock hard when I go back for them,etc.

Thus, it's explained why I'm always driving down to Home Depot.

I don't even want to talk about the car parts. Anyone need a 63 C2 door hinge?
Posted on: 2010/5/20 22:34

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.