Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
177 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  LT5
Engine used in the ZR1, 1990-1995, manual only....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

Strick "H" pipe set up, any gains?
Guru
Lake Wylie, SC
129 Posts

I have this "H" pipe and wonder if there would be any gains or improvements in this set up?

Resized Image
Posted on: 2008/1/1 20:46

Notorious RE:"H" pipe set up, any gains?
Elite Guru
Downbound train, NC
2184 Posts

Yes Tom. I've never added an H or X pipe to anything that the increase in torque and response was not readily apparent. Every dual system needs one or the other.
Posted on: 2008/1/1 20:53
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

bogus RE:"H" pipe set up, any gains?
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

agreed. It does wonders for scavaging and helps reduce the din in the cabin. win-win.
Posted on: 2008/1/1 21:53

Strick RE:"H" pipe set up, any gains?
Guru
Lake Wylie, SC
129 Posts

Okay then, it's time to weld it up. I asked Santa for a welder, but I must have been a bad boy, but I did get a new camcorder so I can video more of my projects and runs.

Oh one more thing, is it better to have the H-pipe before the resonator or behind it? I notice that the LT4 exhaust has a H-pipe near the rear just before the major bend to the mufflers.
Posted on: 2008/1/1 22:43

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

harbor freight has a cheapie for like $150.00

Something like that, you can take to a local shop for 20.00 to tack up.
Posted on: 2008/1/1 22:46

cuisinartvette RE:"H" pipe set up, any gains?
Elite Guru
1782 Posts

That resonator has a similar effect of an H...It wont hurt to put it in but may not help either.
Posted on: 2008/1/1 22:55

Elite Guru
Downbound train, NC
2184 Posts

Quote:

Oh one more thing, is it better to have the H-pipe before the resonator or behind it? I notice that the LT4 exhaust has a H-pipe near the rear just before the major bend to the mufflers.

Well Tom, that's an interesting question and one that there's no single answer to. One method for locating the ideal point on a given exhaust system is the "hot spot" method. You can do this by various methods. I've done it with a digital, non-contact thermometer. You can also do it with a marker used for indicating a preheating temperature for certain types of welding, spraying on some paint and noting the location where it first burns off and etc. Regardless, once you've located this area of the system, that would be the prime area for locating an H or X pipe. But don't obsess over this. Having one anywhere is better than not having one at all. I've previously used a Power Effects cat-back on my car and using the hot-spot method on it indicated the prime spot (in this case) to be just a couple or so inches beyond the resonator. I marked the spot, took it to my local and trusted muffler shop and they welded in a crossover. The difference was immediately noticeable both in smoothness and in throttle response. More recently after installing a stroker, I had a custom dual system behind it. I installed a Magnaflow dual in and out muffler in the factory LTx resonator location. This muffler features an integral X-pipe as well. The difference was once again, night and day.
Posted on: 2008/1/1 23:19

Guru
Lake Wylie, SC
129 Posts

Well one thing is known, my resonator from B&B is not a cross over type.

Resized Image

I wonder if I'll ever leave my exhaust alone..
Posted on: 2008/1/2 0:38

red_johnny RE:"H" pipe set up, any gains?
On Sabbatical
Augusta, GA (85 383 stroker)
3213 Posts

I have a H-pipe and I really like it.
Posted on: 2008/1/2 0:43

Guru
Lake Wylie, SC
129 Posts

Quote:

What is it you really like? Sound or performance or both?
Posted on: 2008/1/2 17:38

CentralCoaster RE:"H" pipe set up, any gains?
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Quote:
Well one thing is known, my resonator from B&B is not a cross over type.

How do you know? Are those inner tubes continuous from end to end or do they have a gap like the stock part?

Even with the perforations, it's going to shave some of the function of an H pipe by allowing pressures in each bank to balance out.
Posted on: 2008/1/2 20:18

Guru
Lake Wylie, SC
129 Posts

In the resonator I have from B&B, The two pipes that run the entire length of the resonator only have little louvers all the way inside the enclosure. Maybe this picture will show it better:

Resized Image
Posted on: 2008/1/2 21:39

On Sabbatical
3213 Posts

Quote:
Quote:

What is it you really like? Sound or performance or both?
Both. Its kinda hard to really tell though since I went from stock to 3" at the same time. My system is loud and resonates around 3800 or so RPM. I like it loud though
Posted on: 2008/1/2 21:51

Guru
Lake Wylie, SC
129 Posts

Well, this is a complete B&B 3" catback that I'm adding the "H" pipe to. The system is just a few dbs louder than the Corsa catback, but has a much deeper tone. I tried it without the resonator and I still have ringing in my ears so it's back to the resonator. I thought I'd try out the "H" pipe for grins. It's at the welders now and I should have it by Friday. I'll give a complete report on it's out come. Mean while I'm running my muffler elim system. It's loud, but doesn't hurt my ears.
Posted on: 2008/1/2 23:51

On Sabbatical
3213 Posts

Quote:
Well, this is a complete B&B 3" catback that I'm adding the "H" pipe to. The system is just a few dbs louder than the Corsa catback, but has a much deeper tone. I tried it without the resonator and I still have ringing in my ears so it's back to the resonator. I thought I'd try out the "H" pipe for grins.
I really dont know how the H pipe will affect it all. I know mine is a deep thundering tone...I love it
Posted on: 2008/1/2 23:52

Guru
Lake Wylie, SC
129 Posts

Just for comparison, I posted this same think over on brand X forum. No responses. I guess CF is in decline.
Posted on: 2008/1/3 2:19

Jakers Which B&B
Guru Newb
Georgia
14 Posts

Strick,

I am curious, which generation of the B&B do you have? Mine is the first Gen and has THE RESONANCE ISSUE! I am interested in finding out what the difference is by Generation? Is it truly improved? Keep us posted on the H pipe!
Posted on: 2008/1/3 6:14

Strick Re: Which B&B
Guru
Lake Wylie, SC
129 Posts

Quote:
Strick,

I am curious, which generation of the B&B do you have? Mine is the first Gen and has THE RESONANCE ISSUE! I am interested in finding out what the difference is by Generation? Is it truly improved? Keep us posted on the H pipe!

My B&B is at least a second gen B&B. The resonance was cut way down, but the over all loudness was also cut down to the point it is on the same level as the Corsa catback. The only resonance I have is right at 1800rpms in 5th or 6th gear and slight acceleration. I'll let you all know how it works out. My exhaust experience just keeps on growing.
Posted on: 2008/1/3 14:13

Guru
Lake Wylie, SC
129 Posts

Got it all welded up and installed, but my X frame hits it. I've tried all the adjustments but the 3" system just doesn't squeeze in there right as there is only 1/8" clarence. This would be great for a coupe. I'm a little frustrated and I will put the system up for sale unless I cool down. BTW, it sounds smooth and still deeper than OEM. A nice cam upgrade would make this exhaust sound great.
Posted on: 2008/1/8 0:06

Elite Guru
Downbound train, NC
2184 Posts

Tom, have you considered spacing the X-frame just a bit to add clearance? I spaced my R-D X-frame just a bit on the front corners to gain a bit of exhaust clearance. Just a 1/4" in the front should get you some good exhaust clearance and shouldn't have a major effect on ground clearance.
Posted on: 2008/1/8 0:20

Shadow RE:"H" pipe set up, any gains?
Senior Guru
271 Posts

Quote:
Yes Tom. I've never added an H or X pipe to anything that the increase in torque and response was not readily apparent. Every dual system needs one or the other.

Although I have no "scientific" test results, the SOTP feel before and after I hadded the "H" pipe were like night and day
Posted on: 2008/1/8 0:57

The CF Artist fka: STREETKNIGHT..R.I.P.

www.CorvetteFlorida.com

www.CorvetteInternational.com

Guru
Lake Wylie, SC
129 Posts

Quote:
Tom, have you considered spacing the X-frame just a bit to add clearance? I spaced my R-D X-frame just a bit on the front corners to gain a bit of exhaust clearance. Just a 1/4" in the front should get you some good exhaust clearance and shouldn't have a major effect on ground clearance.

That would be my next consideration. I've hit the X-frame several times already and have real problems with speed bumps. I'm cooling down and I'll figure something out.
Posted on: 2008/1/8 2:28

Elite Guru
Downbound train, NC
2184 Posts

I haven't seen a factory X in some time and have never compared one directly to my R-D one. The only place the R-D ever scraped was at the left rear corner, with the exception of one good hit it took in the middle one time. But that rear corner is a PITA. And when I look at the design back there, I see that IMO it should have been done a bit differently. An easy 1/2" or so of additional ground clearance could be had with some reworking. Where have you had a problem with the factory brace hitting? Have you lowered your car any? Mine's about an inch or so lower in the back, still stock in the front. I no longer use the X-frame on the street, it's just more trouble than it's worth. I can bolt it on in a few minutes if I'm going racing. Of course I realize that running without it is not a practical solution with your convertible.
Posted on: 2008/1/8 4:06

Guru
Lake Wylie, SC
129 Posts

Quote:
I haven't seen a factory X in some time and have never compared one directly to my R-D one. The only place the R-D ever scraped was at the left rear corner, with the exception of one good hit it took in the middle one time. But that rear corner is a PITA. And when I look at the design back there, I see that IMO it should have been done a bit differently. An easy 1/2" or so of additional ground clearance could be had with some reworking. Where have you had a problem with the factory brace hitting? Have you lowered your car any? Mine's about an inch or so lower in the back, still stock in the front. I no longer use the X-frame on the street, it's just more trouble than it's worth. I can bolt it on in a few minutes if I'm going racing. Of course I realize that running without it is not a practical solution with your convertible.

The times I hit, it hits on the pass side close to the center. My vert isn't lowered, but it does sit lower than most. I'm going to look for someone with a large press and see if I can flatten the area where the X-frame crosses the exhaust.
Posted on: 2008/1/8 14:01

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

my answer is like this: NASCAR uses H or X pipes. Considering their rules, their must be a benefit.
Posted on: 2008/1/8 14:48

Elite Guru
Downbound train, NC
2184 Posts

Quote:

The times I hit, it hits on the pass side close to the center. My vert isn't lowered, but it does sit lower than most. I'm going to look for someone with a large press and see if I can flatten the area where the X-frame crosses the exhaust.

Tom I'd be more than happy to do the press work if you wanted to run it up here some afternoon, no charge of course.. But given the distance, it'd probably be more cost effective to just take it to a local shop. It shouldn't cost much. But if you decide you want to come up here, we'll have a beer and dinner afterwards. Oh, and if you want me to make you a couple of spacers, just let me know.
Posted on: 2008/1/8 22:13

Guru
Lake Wylie, SC
129 Posts

Quote:
Quote:

Tom I'd be more than happy to do the press work if you wanted to run it up here some afternoon, no charge of course.. But given the distance, it'd probably be more cost effective to just take it to a local shop. It shouldn't cost much. But if you decide you want to come up here, we'll have a beer and dinner afterwards. Oh, and if you want me to make you a couple of spacers, just let me know.

Hopefully I can make a few spacers. I'm going to use 1/4" on the front first. We'll see how that works out. Lets get together anyway. Some of our cruises have been a lot of fun.
Posted on: 2008/1/9 1:36

On Sabbatical
3213 Posts

Quote:
my answer is like this: NASCAR uses H or X pipes. Considering their rules, their must be a benefit.
Wow, I did not know that
Posted on: 2008/1/9 1:46

Elite Guru
Downbound train, NC
2184 Posts

Quote:
Lets get together anyway. Some of our cruises have been a lot of fun.

You got that right. You going to do any racing this year? I want to do more NCCC events this year plus hit the strip some more. Did you know they're building a 1/4 mile track down in Union that's supposed to be open in the spring? It's only about an hour and a half from me and should be closer to you. I know one of the principal players involved in it. It'll be an IHRA track.
And as I'm sure you know they'll soon be one in Concord too, as soon as Bruton is done playing with his marionettes!
Posted on: 2008/1/10 4:24

Guru
Lake Wylie, SC
129 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Lets get together anyway. Some of our cruises have been a lot of fun.

You got that right. You going to do any racing this year? I want to do more NCCC events this year plus hit the strip some more. Did you know they're building a 1/4 mile track down in Union that's supposed to be open in the spring? It's only about an hour and a half from me and should be closer to you. I know one of the principal players involved in it. It'll be an IHRA track.
And as I'm sure you know they'll soon be one in Concord too, as soon as Bruton is done playing with his marionettes!

Union is going to have a 1/4 track? That's cool. My neighbor has a trailer and if he let's me use it, I'm there. I don't want to go to the drags without a way home.
Posted on: 2008/1/12 15:14

Elite Guru
Downbound train, NC
2184 Posts

Quote:

Union is going to have a 1/4 track? That's cool. My neighbor has a trailer and if he let's me use it, I'm there. I don't want to go to the drags without a way home.

The way you baby that thing? You don't have to worry. Do you have some DRs? You'll need them. Street tires are "teh suck" at the strip on these cars. Ask me how I know! :thumbleft:
Posted on: 2008/1/12 15:29

Guru
Lake Wylie, SC
129 Posts

Quote:
Quote:

The way you baby that thing? You don't have to worry. Do you have some DRs? You'll need them. Street tires are "teh suck" at the strip on these cars. Ask me how I know! :thumbleft:

DR's ...NO. Just what's left of my 11" auto cross tires. Might as well burn them away. I think we'll be running my son's Camaro when we finish installing the cam and carb intake project.
Posted on: 2008/1/13 15:51

DrEvil RE:"H" pipe set up, any gains?
Guru
Get in mah belly!
71 Posts

Sounds as if you guys allready have this figured out but I'll add my experience. My previous vette, a 90 M6 car, had shorty headers, true duals with no cats and muffler elims. Talk about loud and unbearable. I drove it that way for 2 weeks, just long enough to get it dynoed. I hated the sound so much I was going to put it back to stock but first decided to try an H pipe and had the local shop fab one up. Huge difference, HUGE It made the car driveable. I actually had the chance to dyno it again a couple months later for a fresh set of before/after dyno comparisons on some new mods I was planning. I realize it was a couple months apart but the same dyno showed 7rwhp and 11 rwtrq increase.

FFW to present car. The factory H pipe on the 96 isnt a true H pipe. The opening inside mine is only about 1" or so. Dont know why they didnt open it all the way up. For reference I now have longtube headers, 3 inch true duals, H pipe, and flowmaster super 40s. I havent heard a better sounding exhaust at idle than this. Resonance is pretty bad between 1600-1900rpm however. If I can get my hands on a resonator I'm going to put it in.
Posted on: 2008/1/13 16:22

Guru
Lake Wylie, SC
129 Posts

Well guys, I've given up on my B&B H-pipe cat back for now. I hung it up in my shed until I come up with a good fix. So for now I have my OEM cat back with muffler elims and a H-pipe. The slightly smaller pipes fit so much better. The sound is pretty nice, too.
Posted on: 2008/1/14 20:50

Elite Guru
Downbound train, NC
2184 Posts

Quote:

DR's ...NO. Just what's left of my 11" auto cross tires. Might as well burn them away. I think we'll be running my son's Camaro when we finish installing the cam and carb intake project.

That's cool, they ought to work pretty good. I'll get an update on the Union strip project soon and see if they're still on track for an opening in April. It'd be fun to meet up with you and your boy down there for a day of blasting down the track.
Does that mean you've given up on selling the B&B system? I think you'd regret that, you wanted it for so long. If you ever want to leave the car up here for a few days, I guarantee you I can make it all work. Remember that job I told you about a while back? Well it's happening. So I'll have access to that shop too if needed, if I can't do everything in my own shop.
Posted on: 2008/1/14 22:26

Guru
Lake Wylie, SC
129 Posts

Quote:
Quote:

That's cool, they ought to work pretty good. I'll get an update on the Union strip project soon and see if they're still on track for an opening in April. It'd be fun to meet up with you and your boy down there for a day of blasting down the track.
Does that mean you've given up on selling the B&B system? I think you'd regret that, you wanted it for so long. If you ever want to leave the car up here for a few days, I guarantee you I can make it all work. Remember that job I told you about a while back? Well it's happening. So I'll have access to that shop too if needed, if I can't do everything in my own shop.

I'll hold on to it for a while. I put it up in the shed for now. I might just take you up on bringing it up there to see what you think. I'm thinking of a way to flatten the X-frame where the pipes contact it. We'll see next spring.
Posted on: 2008/1/17 0:55

Elite Guru
Downbound train, NC
2184 Posts

Also Tom, there's no reason the pipes couldn't be "ovaled" in the areas where clearance is tight. This is done all of the time on race cars to get maximum ground clearance. It'd work equally well of course for your needs.
Posted on: 2008/1/17 1:11

Guru
Lake Wylie, SC
129 Posts

Quote:
Also Tom, there's no reason the pipes couldn't be "ovaled" in the areas where clearance is tight. This is done all of the time on race cars to get maximum ground clearance. It'd work equally well of course for your needs.

I don't know if the H-pipe could be "ovaled" I think the welds would break. Unfortunately, the area that contacts the X-frame has the H-pipe in it.
Posted on: 2008/1/17 14:03

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.