Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
183 user(s) are online (106 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
 Register To Post

apeacefulstorm upgrade for transmission and rear end gears?
Guru
Huntsville, Alabama
147 Posts

Okay some of you know that my long range plan for my 93 automatic is an engine upgrade. The goal is 400 rwhp and for it to be a daily driver. Before I buy the engine, I plan on changing out the rear end, and have been told that 3.07 would be idea. I am wondering what upgrades need to be done to the transmission to handle the new engine? so gurus, what needs to be done?
Posted on: 2007/12/31 1:23
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Notorious RE:upgrade for transmission and rear end gears?
Elite Guru
Downbound train, NC
2184 Posts

If you can get a D44 from a 4+3 car, it'll have the 3.07 gears. PeteK can provide you with a list of the upgraded parts you'll need for the transmission.
Posted on: 2007/12/31 1:31

bogus RE:upgrade for transmission and rear end gears?
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I will defer to Pete for the transmission issues.

However, if you are after power, I would cut right to the chase and get a Dana 44. It's the rear end used in the manual cars.

The most common is the 3.43 rear gear, stock from 1992-1996. Also in the ZR1, 1990-1995.

It's a good gear and in an auto would really rock without any side effects...
Posted on: 2007/12/31 1:32

apeacefulstorm RE:upgrade for transmission and rear end gears?
Guru
Huntsville, Alabama
147 Posts

Quote:

However, if you are after power, I would cut right to the chase and get a Dana 44. It's the rear end used in the manual cars.

The most common is the 3.43 rear gear, stock from 1992-1996. Also in the ZR1, 1990-1995.

cool... I am going after power yet the street manners of a daily driver.... I know there are trade-offs, but I am sure there is a happy medium....
Posted on: 2007/12/31 1:44

VtVette RE:upgrade for transmission and rear end gears?
Guru
Las Vegas, NV
357 Posts

Quote:
Quote:

cool... I am going after power yet the street manners of a daily driver.... I know there are trade-offs, but I am sure there is a happy medium....

The D44 is a stout unit, and the A4 can be made to handle the power you are looking for. The D44 with all necessary parts is also a bolt in upgrade no fabricating or anything like that. As far as trade offs, I think the only one in this instance is cost and labor but they are always issues with a project like yours.

You'll have a very capable street machine when you're done and 400RWHP can be had in a very street able machine
Posted on: 2007/12/31 1:54

1993 triple black roadster 6 speed

Guru
Huntsville, Alabama
147 Posts

I plan to do the rear end upgrade, then the tranny upgrade, then the engine.... one question... headers or not? If so, they would probably need to be coated? would I need a different starter? Are headers problematic? I know with some there might be a problem with header leaks around the gaskets...
Posted on: 2007/12/31 2:16

VtVette RE:upgrade for transmission and rear end gears?
Guru
Las Vegas, NV
357 Posts

Quote:
I plan to do the rear end upgrade, then the tranny upgrade, then the engine.... one question... headers or not? If so, they would probably need to be coated? would I need a different starter? Are headers problematic? I know with some there might be a problem with header leaks around the gaskets...

I don't have personal experience with corvette headers but the general consensus is you get what you pay for. From what I've heard the "shorty" headers are a waste of money (someone correct me here) and yes the less expensive headers will have inferior coatings which will break down sooner than a better quality unit.

I believe the leaking issues with headers is generally caused by warping of the flange where the header bolts to the head. Again this is a problem with cheaper headers as they use thinner steel.

I had the header in my wifes car ceramic coated (turbo manifold) and it's held up great and has noticeably lowered under hood temps.

I've heard TPIS makes a good quality header. Others will chime in with their personal experiences.

I think with the kind of engine you're going to be putting in your ride the stock manifolds would be woefully restrictive.

Do you have emissions testing in your state? If o that might limit the options you have for headers but I'm sure there are good quality 50 state legal headers out there you just need to be sure if you need to be compliant the headers you invest in are legal in your state.
Posted on: 2007/12/31 2:28

1993 triple black roadster 6 speed

Notorious RE:upgrade for transmission and rear end gears?
Elite Guru
Downbound train, NC
2184 Posts

You shouldn't have leak problems assuming you're using any of the quality headers made for LT1s. Your starter will be fine, you'll have no clearance problems with it. If you want some extra insurance you buy a heat shield for not much or make one like I did. And all of the LT1 headers are either coated or stainless. Both run fairly cool compared to painted steel headers.
Posted on: 2007/12/31 2:30

Guru
Huntsville, Alabama
147 Posts

Quote:
Quote:

I don't have personal experience with corvette headers but the general consensus is you get what you pay for. From what I've heard the "shorty" headers are a waste of money (someone correct me here) and yes the less expensive headers will have inferior coatings which will break down sooner than a better quality unit.

I believe the leaking issues with headers is generally caused by warping of the flange wh
ere the header bolts to the head. Again this is a problem with cheaper headers as they use thinner steel.

I had the header in my wifes car ceramic coated (turbo manifold) and it's held up great and has noticeably lowered under hood temps.

I've heard TPIS makes a good quality header. Others will chime in with their personal experiences.

I think with the kind of engine you're going to be putting in your ride the stock manifolds would be woefully restrictive.

Do you have emissions testing in your state? If o that might limit the options you have for headers but I'm sure there are good quality 50 state legal headers out there you just need to be sure if you need to be compliant the headers you invest in are legal in your state.

no emission issues here in Alabama.... and I am not going to go cheap... that would defeat the purpose of making modifications....
Posted on: 2007/12/31 2:57

CentralCoaster RE:upgrade for transmission and rear end gears?
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Need more info.

What sort of dyno curve are you expecting? (What shift points?)

Are you drag racing? (1/4 or 1/8?)

How much highway driving do you do?

Each has a specific gear ratio, having a little of each will force you to compromise.
Posted on: 2007/12/31 6:34

CasetheCorvetteman RE:upgrade for transmission and rear end gears?
Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Quote:

Thats 3.45 youre thinking of. I have a 3.33 DANA 44 in mine, i wouldnt go much higher if youre driving it every day, but i wouldnt go to 3.07, you may end up with slight drone at 45-55mph. Id go with 3.45 or 3.33 if i was you, TopTechx6 had a 3.73 in his 93 for a while, and now has a 3.45
Posted on: 2007/12/31 7:21

CentralCoaster RE:upgrade for transmission and rear end gears?
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

3.45 isn't available aftermarket. I put a lightly used set of stock 3.45s in mine, but it's loud as hell. It seems once they're broken in, they can't really be setup properly again.

If you can get a complete carrier with 3.45s though you're good to go, and you avoid $200 in setup costs, and can sell what you have now to recoup the costs.
Posted on: 2007/12/31 7:24

Guru
Huntsville, Alabama
147 Posts

Quote:
Need more info.

What sort of dyno curve are you expecting? (What shift points?)

Are you drag racing? (1/4 or 1/8?)

How much highway driving do you do?

Each has a specific gear ratio, having a little of each will force you to compromise.

Its an auto, so I am not sure about shift points, I want to be able to drive it without alot of effort when needed in stop and go traffic, yet it needs to get up and go when I mash the go pedal.

I am not drag racing. I drive on the highway daily, on average 100 miles a day.
Posted on: 2007/12/31 13:47

PeteK RE:upgrade for transmission and rear end gears?
Nanticoke, Pa
1311 Posts

You will probably want to change the torque converter. Try to buy the best unit you can. By running a lighter 9.5 inch unit, the trans will live longer. 14 pounds less hanging on the end of the crankshaft helps put more power to the road as well.

As far as internal trans mods, not a whole lot is needs. A few boost valve upgrades, shift kit (optional), sprag/lo-roller upgrade, beast reaction shell, h/d 3-4 clutch pack, and a trans cooler are recommended.
88-93 units are the pick of the litter for build ups.
Posted on: 2007/12/31 13:57

Guru
Huntsville, Alabama
147 Posts

Quote:
You will probably want to change the torque converter. Try to buy the best unit you can. By running a lighter 9.5 inch unit, the trans will live longer. 14 pounds less hanging on the end of the crankshaft helps put more power to the road as well.

As far as internal trans mods, not a whole lot is needs. A few boost valve upgrades, shift kit (optional), sprag/lo-roller upgrade, beast reaction shell, h/d 3-4 clutch pack, and a trans cooler are recommended.
88-93 units are the pick of the litter for build ups.

a higher stall? what would be idea for a daily driver?
Posted on: 2007/12/31 14:20

Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Yes, cause itll lock the clutch at a preset speed anyway, and then it will act the same as the stock unit.
Posted on: 2007/12/31 14:30

Nanticoke, Pa
1311 Posts

That would depend on quite a few different variables.
How much stall are you willing to tolerate?
How much cam duration will you be running?
Stock vehicle weight?
How much heat can you accept and how well can it be managed with climate and trans cooler?
Etc.

Generally speaking 2800 or so is a decent compromise on a mild lt1 type combo.
3000-3200 is as far as I would like to go on my own car that is street driven. Most lt1 guys are in this range and seem to enjoy the performance vs drivability.
Posted on: 2007/12/31 14:35

Guru
Huntsville, Alabama
147 Posts

Quote:
Stock vehicle weight?
How much heat can you accept and how well can it be managed with climate and trans cooler?
Etc.

3000-3200 is as far as I would like to go on my own car that is street driven. Most lt1 guys are in this range and seem to enjoy the performance vs drivability.

Since I have never driven a car with a high stall I have no point of reference..... what does it feel like? What I mean is this, in a stock configuration, you step on the gas and the car goes.... with a higher stall you step on the gas and______? What happens?

The weight of the vehicle is normal stock. I am not losing any weight. As for heat, that may be an issue, only because I am in Alabama, and our summers are hot... so there are weeks when the temp is 95+ and high humidity.

As for the mods, the goal is 400 rwhp, would that qualify as a mild modifications?
Posted on: 2007/12/31 14:55

Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

95*F plus isnt all that hot, gets alot hotter here in Australia, so youll be fine.
Posted on: 2007/12/31 15:10

Guru
Huntsville, Alabama
147 Posts

Quote:
95*F plus isnt all that hot, gets alot hotter here in Australia, so youll be fine.

well compared to Australia there aren't too many places hotter are there?
Posted on: 2007/12/31 15:13

Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Well this is bloody true too mate yes, and not too many places the beer flows colder either
Posted on: 2007/12/31 15:18

Nanticoke, Pa
1311 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Stock vehicle weight?
Etc.

Since I have never driven a car with a high stall I have no point of reference..... what does it feel like? What I mean is this, in a stock configuration, you step on the gas and the car goes.... with a higher stall you step on the gas and______? What happens?

The weight of the vehicle is normal stock. I am not losing any weight. As for heat, that may be an issue, only because I am in Alabama, and our summers are hot... so there are weeks when the temp is 95+ and high humidity.

As for the mods, the goal is 400 rwhp, would that qualify as a mild modifications?

The stall speed of a converter is achieved when the stator is up to speed with the turbines in the shell.
Difficult to explain quickly, but the stall speed is not the speed that the vehicle starts to move. A looser than stock converter will have a "slushly" feel, if it is ineffecient or excessive. One 3000 stall converter may feel like stock, whaile another brand may feel like a sloppy mess. The key is to buy the correct converter, the first time. Ineffecient converters will make a ton of heat, suck to drive, and hurt the trans over time.
A good quality converter with 3000 or less, a cooler, and a deeper pan should be plenty for your needs. Expect to pay $550-$950 for a good converter. I used to sell nice ones for $525 + shipping and have never had a single quality complaint. 1 gentelman in ST Louis sent his back for a stall upgrade, but otherwise no issues.
400 hp in my eyes is a mild package.
Posted on: 2007/12/31 15:52

Guru
Huntsville, Alabama
147 Posts

thanks for that info... its going in the project notebook... and as I said, I am not going cheap, which is why I am asking so many questions.... I want to build it right and wisely the first time....
Posted on: 2007/12/31 18:30

Guru
Huntsville, Alabama
147 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Stock vehicle weight?
Etc.

The stall speed of a converter is achieved when the stator is up to speed with the turbines in the shell.
Difficult to explain quickly, but the stall speed is not the speed that the vehicle starts to move. A looser than stock converter will have a "slushly" feel, if it is ineffecient or excessive. One 3000 stall converter may feel like stock, whaile another brand may feel like a sloppy mess. The key is to buy the correct converter, the first time. Ineffecient converters will make a ton of heat, suck to drive, and hurt the trans over time.
A good quality converter with 3000 or less, a cooler, and a deeper pan should be plenty for your needs. Expect to pay $550-$950 for a good converter. I used to sell nice ones for $525 + shipping and have never had a single quality complaint. 1 gentelman in ST Louis sent his back for a stall upgrade, but otherwise no issues.

$550+ for a decent converter and some mild upgrades to the tranny will be sufficient to handle 400rwhp.... I read on another forum where you indicated that about 400 bucks would cover the necessary upgrades for the tranny..... is that correct?
Posted on: 2008/1/10 1:06

sliding RE:upgrade for transmission and rear end gears?
Senior Guru
Zagreb, Croatia
326 Posts

I have recently rebuilt/upgraded my trans with all the parts that Pete suggested. Even more, he was kind enough to gather all of the parts for me and then send it all to me. Parts were somewhere in $900 range plus
$500 for converter.
I also went with full manual Trans-Go shift kit option and it's totally different car to drive.
Posted on: 2008/1/10 13:22

Alcee1 RE:upgrade for transmission and rear end gears?
Guru Emeritus
Los Angeles
277 Posts

Good job on the tranny work. I blew two tranny's after upgrading before I got one built by a pro that can handle 600rwhp+, then again I had a 700R4. You can see in my sig what rearend I have. Have fun. :thumbright:
Posted on: 2008/1/10 17:24
Edlebrock Heads, 2030 cam, X-ram w/EGR, 1.6 R/R, Bored TB´s, AFPR, Pro-built Tranny, Vigilantly 2600, Transgo, Dana 44 3.54, Hardened Pushrods & Head Bolts, Custom performance chip, K&N, Double roller timing chain, Aluminum radiator & flex hose, MS

Nanticoke, Pa
1311 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Stock vehicle weight?
Etc.

$550+ for a decent converter and some mild upgrades to the tranny will be sufficient to handle 400rwhp.... I read on another forum where you indicated that about 400 bucks would cover the necessary upgrades for the tranny..... is that correct?

The $400 figure I refered to was over and above the typical rebuild parts. And it was a parts only figure.
What the builder charges in labor for a high po build is up to him. I try to get an extra $100-$150 labor above a standard rebuild labor figure. The reason is I spend much more time blueprinting a performance build.
Posted on: 2008/1/11 0:40

Guru
Huntsville, Alabama
147 Posts

Quote:

The $400 figure I refered to was over and above the typical rebuild parts. And it was a parts only figure.
What the builder charges in labor for a high po build is up to him. I try to get an extra $100-$150 labor above a standard rebuild labor figure. The reason is I spend much more time blueprinting a performance build.

thanks for the clarification.... and for your patience, let me ask one more question.... would it be simpler just to have a tranny built than to upgrade the one that is in the car?
Posted on: 2008/1/11 1:28

Nanticoke, Pa
1311 Posts

Quote:
Quote:

thanks for the clarification.... and for your patience, let me ask one more question.... would it be simpler just to have a tranny built than to upgrade the one that is in the car?

It would be simpler, but much more costly. Vette trans cores are very hard to come by. Finding one is difficult enough. Modding a core to vette specs would be possible, but again, costly.
Posted on: 2008/1/11 1:45

Guru
Huntsville, Alabama
147 Posts

Quote:
Good job on the tranny work. I blew two tranny's after upgrading before I got one built by a pro that can handle 600rwhp+, then again I had a 700R4. You can see in my sig what rearend I have. Have fun. :thumbright:

600 rwhp makes me drool, however could you really drive a 600rwhp C4 daily? That sounds more like a dragstrip car only.....
Posted on: 2008/1/12 16:02

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Think of it this way... take a nicely built 400hp, lowish compression 383 and put a super charger on it. BAM! 600hp and all day streetability.
Posted on: 2008/1/12 19:48

Guru
Huntsville, Alabama
147 Posts

Quote:
Think of it this way... take a nicely built 400hp, lowish compression 383 and put a super charger on it. BAM! 600hp and all day streetability.

hmmmmm see now you have me thinking of the possibilities.... let me ask, what's the down side of having a supercharger? easy to fix? how problematic?
Posted on: 2008/1/12 21:57

CFI-EFI RE:upgrade for transmission and rear end gears?
Senior Guru
Top of Utah
372 Posts

Quote:
hmmmmm see now you have me thinking of the possibilities.... let me ask, what's the down side of having a supercharger? easy to fix? how problematic?
The down side? Rectangular dollars! They are the only thing that beats cubic inches.

RACE ON!!!
Posted on: 2008/1/12 22:18

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

yea, CFI nails it... $$$. Buckets of money.

To upgrade the car and engine, add in the supercharger, you are into $20k. Or pretty damned close to it.

Figure, a quality forged short block, good heads and tune will be $6k, then a transmission, another $1500. Add in the rear end - you will need the D44 - $2k... then comes the SC kit, a new one isn't cheap... $6k?

Add all that up... and toss in labour for what you can't or won't do.
Posted on: 2008/1/12 23:09

Guru
Huntsville, Alabama
147 Posts

Quote:
yea, CFI nails it... $$$. Buckets of money.

To upgrade the car and engine, add in the supercharger, you are into $20k. Or pretty damned close to it.

Figure, a quality forged short block, good heads and tune will be $6k, then a transmission, another $1500. Add in the rear end - you will need the D44 - $2k... then comes the SC kit, a new one isn't cheap... $6k?

Add all that up... and toss in labour for what you can't or won't do.

maybe..... but check this out.. golen builds a motor ready for a supercharger http://www.golenengineservice.com/html/lt1_lt4.html
for 8500.00, the supercharger 5000.00, 2k for the rear, and 1500 for the tranny... about 16k.... then the labor 2k? maybe 3? for 600 rwhp.... in a C4.... how much would be spent to do that in a C5? or a C6? factoring in the C4 is paid for.... I think it would cost more than 20k, not to mention all the other issues that come along with a C5 or a C6.....
Posted on: 2008/1/12 23:47

Guru
Huntsville, Alabama
147 Posts

just as a comparison..... I was looking at the vettes for sale on that other forum (whose name we will not speak) and the C5s for sale that have been modified with 500 rwhp and up are being sold for 29k to 40k..... the C6s.... 40k+ so if I went that route it would be a bargain... IMO......
Posted on: 2008/1/12 23:58

CFI-EFI RE:upgrade for transmission and rear end gears?
Senior Guru
Top of Utah
372 Posts

Quote:
golen builds a motor ready for a supercharger for 8500.00, the supercharger 5000.00, 2k for the rear, and 1500 for the tranny... about 16k.... then the labor 2k? maybe 3?
I didn't say it wasn't worth it, but for a guy that is considering spending $500.00 to $1000.00 for a 383 kit and another thousand or two to put it all together, the blower route requires many, many, more rectangular dollars.

Come to think of it. I have most of the stuff you listed, the main exception being the supercharger. Hmmm.

RACE ON!!!
Posted on: 2008/1/13 1:23

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

A few things to consider... Doing these mods will potentially damage the cars resale value, no matter what you do.

There is no denying that the C5/6 chassis is much better, tho, for handling and ride quality. Overall, the car is better built, but it isn't without issues.

The C5/C6 has known problems with the rear diff and both transmissions. Add power, they become even more prone to exploding.

They also have electrical gremlins. I know of at least one car with traction control related failures, how many more are there?

Finally, it's the hidden costs, what happens to your auto insurance? Unless you declare an agreed value coverage, your rates won't go up one inch with the mods. I don't know how Alabama works, but here in CA (and many other states), your annual renewal is based on the book value.

Let's do some math... you find a nice C5 for $25k that is the way you want it... first you have to asses - IS it the way you want it? Lets say it was done right... You sell your 93 for, say, $10k (tops) and you are STILL into this one for $15k and you are still not 100% sure it's been done right.

The Golan supercharger motor looks sweet. It really does, and for the $$, it looks like one helluva deal. Do the mods, and you now have a car that you know was done right.

Keep all reciepts, get the car assessed, and then find out what an agreed policy would cost. But that's optional.
Posted on: 2008/1/13 1:27

Guru
Huntsville, Alabama
147 Posts

Quote:
A few things to consider... Doing these mods will potentially damage the cars resale value, no matter what you do.

There is no denying that the C5/6 chassis is much better, tho, for handling and ride quality. Overall, the car is better built, but it isn't without issues.

The C5/C6 has known problems with the rear diff and both transmissions. Add power, they become even more prone to exploding.

They also have electrical gremlins. I know of at least one car with traction control related failures, how many more are there?

Finally, it's the hidden costs, what happens to your auto insurance? Unless you declare an agreed value coverage, your rates won't go up one inch with the mods. I don't know how Alabama works, but here in CA (and many other states), your annual renewal is based on the book value.

Let's do some math... you find a nice C5 for $25k that is the way you want it... first you have to asses - IS it the way you want it? Lets say it was done right... You sell your 93 for, say, $10k (tops) and you are STILL into this one for $15k and you are still not 100% sure it's been done right.

The Golan supercharger motor looks sweet. It really does, and for the $$, it looks like one helluva deal. Do the mods, and you now have a car that you know was done right.

Keep all reciepts, get the car assessed, and then find out what an agreed policy would cost. But that's optional.

thanks for indulging me and my brainstorming I really appreciate it.... here in bama the insurance is based on the book value (I think), because before I added my son to my policy the total insurance for the two cars I have was about 1200/yr. So the insurance is cheap...

You bring up the issues I am most concerned about... there is no guarantee that a C5 or C6 is set up like it should be, and the ones that are guys are asking top dollar.... so for the money, it's safer for me to build what I have since I know the car. I also like the idea of having a sleeper..... lol
Posted on: 2008/1/13 1:58

Guru
Huntsville, Alabama
147 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
golen builds a motor ready for a supercharger for 8500.00, the supercharger 5000.00, 2k for the rear, and 1500 for the tranny... about 16k.... then the labor 2k? maybe 3?
I didn't say it wasn't worth it, but for a guy that is considering spending $500.00 to $1000.00 for a 383 kit and another thousand or two to put it all together, the blower route requires many, many, more rectangular dollars.

Come to think of it. I have most of the stuff you listed, the main exception being the supercharger. Hmmm.

RACE ON!!!

LOL see..... I will do the project in stages, I will do the rear end and tranny stuff one year and then do the engine upgrades the next....
Posted on: 2008/1/13 2:00

Klaus RE:upgrade for transmission and rear end gears?
Guru
Atlanta, GA
129 Posts

If you start sinking a lot of money on upgrades/restoration in a C4, you should look into an agreed upon collector car insurance policy if you qualify and can live with the limitations.

With normal insurance you'll pay more in premiums and get screwed if you have a total loss.

I have my car insured with Sneed. You can get an online quote here:

http://sneedinsurance.com/sneed_collect.htm
Posted on: 2008/1/13 2:19

2008 Machine Silver Coupe
LS3 / Z51 / A6 / NPP

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quote:

thanks for indulging me and my brainstorming I really appreciate it.... here in bama the insurance is based on the book value (I think), because before I added my son to my policy the total insurance for the two cars I have was about 1200/yr. So the insurance is cheap...

You bring up the issues I am most concerned about... there is no guarantee that a C5 or C6 is set up like it should be, and the ones that are guys are asking top dollar.... so for the money, it's safer for me to build what I have since I know the car. I also like the idea of having a sleeper..... lol

my pleasure! These kinds of discussions are very valuable, because they help everyone who is in this debate.

All auto insurance is based, at some point, on a cars book value. Other states allow credit ratings to come into play, too. Get your son to bring his grades up! State Farm offers 25% discounts for good grades! My wife and I pay about $1500 a year for 2 cars, our rental ins, personal property (2 laptops and my Rolex) and my life insurance. All with State Farm.

My concern is with registration cost. My 92 is cheap here in CA the registration is based on the book value of the car. Mine is about 80.00 a year. But a new Vette can be $500.00+ a year!
Posted on: 2008/1/13 2:31

Guru
Huntsville, Alabama
147 Posts

Quote:
If you start sinking a lot of money on upgrades/restoration in a C4, you should look into an agreed upon collector car insurance policy if you qualify and can live with the limitations.

With normal insurance you'll pay more in premiums and get screwed if you have a total loss.

the mileage limitation is not acceptable for me.... I drive the vette to work every day.... about 100 miles a day... don't plan on stopping anytime soon....
Posted on: 2008/1/13 4:20

Guru
Huntsville, Alabama
147 Posts

Quote:

my pleasure! These kinds of discussions are very valuable, because they help everyone who is in this debate.

All auto insurance is based, at some point, on a cars book value. Other states allow credit ratings to come into play, too. Get your son to bring his grades up! State Farm offers 25% discounts for good grades! My wife and I pay about $1500 a year for 2 cars, our rental ins, personal property (2 laptops and my Rolex) and my life insurance. All with State Farm.

My concern is with registration cost. My 92 is cheap here in CA the registration is based on the book value of the car. Mine is about 80.00 a year. But a new Vette can be $500.00+ a year!

well my son has taken a different path, he was offered (and accepted) a job with the company he interned with his senior yr in high school as a Network Administrator (at 19 yrs old), making over 30k/yr... so he can pay his own insurance....lol still have one at home though so it will be another few years with higher premiums.... and no she will not be driving the vette.....
Posted on: 2008/1/13 4:25

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quote:
Quote:

the mileage limitation is not acceptable for me.... I drive the vette to work every day.... about 100 miles a day... don't plan on stopping anytime soon....

some companies don't have mileage limitations.

it might be worth talking to your regular insurance company.
Posted on: 2008/1/13 7:15

Guru
Huntsville, Alabama
147 Posts

Quote:

some companies don't have mileage limitations.

it might be worth talking to your regular insurance company.

thanks for the recommendation, I will check into it this week.... :thumbright:
Posted on: 2008/1/13 13:15

Guru
Huntsville, Alabama
147 Posts

okay another question..... does a supercharger shorten the life of an engine? If the engine is new what can be expected?
Posted on: 2008/1/15 0:38

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.