Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
148 user(s) are online (111 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  4L60E
Automatic Transmission - 4 Speed

1st Gear: 3.06
2nd Gear: 1.62
3rd Gear: 1.00
4th Gear: 0.70

Reverse: 2.29

- Used in production GM models...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

Aboatguy Where did we go wrong or Australia is makingV8 Supercars and we get the Volt
Senior Guru
My Avatar was redistributed!
498 Posts

Sitting at home watching Speed because they finally are playing something besides NASCAR....I hate freeking NASCAR

Something about real cars with lights/doors/windows/etc and left and right turns vice
window nets/ stickers and hours of circle like a stupid dog chasing its tail...and then some jackass rams another jackass.....

Where/when did the USA fail.... Australia makes a better inexpensive American style V8 power rear wheel drive family car than we do.... Holden Commodore...Ford Falcon...yes we have a world class car the CTSV but its just a little too small for my tastes and a little to upscale....

[IMG]http://www.caradvice.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/TeamVodafone_Holden-A3.jpg [/IMG]

Can see the family resemblance to my wifes G8GT

[IMG]http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a342/aboatguy/Car/DSC01596.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a342/aboatguy/DSC02172.jpg[/IMG]
I really wish Chevrolet would make an Impala SS or Impala LTZ like the Commodore that I could buy to replace my 95SS

[IMG]http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a342/aboatguy/Caprice2.jpg[/IMG]
My IMPALA SS has been resting in Peace ....the Insurance company totalled it when it was running and driving perfectly because of some rear end damage...bumper/taillights/trunk/1/4 panel/rear door/ etc...

But the initial settlement was more than double what I had into it...so I took it.....

Yes, I bought my wife a foreign car ...for Xmas a couple of years ago...but I'd been jonsing for a Caprice LTZ(Middle East version of Commodore) since the first time I drove one back in 1999 and didn't want to miss out when it was obvious GM was pulling plug on Pontiac....

Back to my rant how can we get big ass V8 powered four door American sedans again... why does GM still make cars I want....but for overseas consumption and not for domestic...?

Mopar makes the 300....and I liked the concept but once I drove it NOT SO MUCH>>>> the visibility out of that PIG sucks and the handling is miserable especially when compared to the G8 and CTSV.....
OFF RANT

I bet a datalog run in the vette tomorrow morning will increase my morale....

Mike
Posted on: 2010/7/2 18:47
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

bogus Re: Where did we go wrong or Australia is makingV8 Supercars and we get the Volt
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

The G8 is based on the Holden platform.

There is talk of redoing the Impala using the G8 platform, initially as a police car only, but how knows.

I like the 300, but don't have a handling comparison.

If the G8 was that perfect a fit, there would still be Pontiac... I suspect the reasons are many...
Posted on: 2010/7/2 19:02

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Durango_Boy Re: Where did we go wrong or Australia is makingV8 Supercars and we get the Volt
Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
2583 Posts

I remember seeing some really cool Australian muscle cars similar to our Camaro and Nova. I believe they were Holden brand.

I've always wanted one here just to have something unique.
Posted on: 2010/7/2 19:02

BillH Re: Where did we go wrong or Australia is makingV8 Supercars and we get the Volt
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

Aboatguy wrote:
Sitting at home watching Speed because they finally are playing something besides NASCAR....I hate freeking NASCAR

Where/when did the USA fail.... Australia makes a better inexpensive American style V8 power rear wheel drive family car than we do.... Holden Commodore...Ford Falcon...yes we have a world class car the CTSV but its just a little too small for my tastes and a little to upscale....
Mike

That's spelled N-ASS-SCAR.

The fans let it happen. Tony Stewart was right -pro wrestling.

The manufacturers feel that the fans are dumb enough to think changing decals and front fascia changes a Ford into a Chevy.

Plus the fans don't care if a Ford or Chevy wins anymore as long as their celebrity wins.

Australia has it right, so do the Brits.

Yea, funny that they won't sell a V8 sedan here but when you pass the soccer fields, it's wall to wall V8 Suburbans and Tahoes.
Posted on: 2010/7/2 19:13

Aboatguy Re: Where did we go wrong or Australia is makingV8 Supercars and we get the Volt
Senior Guru
498 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
The G8 is based on the Holden platform.

There is talk of redoing the Impala using the G8 platform, initially as a police car only, but how knows.

I like the 300, but don't have a handling comparison.

If the G8 was that perfect a fit, there would still be Pontiac... I suspect the reasons are many...

I know the G8 is a Holden Commodore...Pontiac was closed IOT use the cash to hold up BUICK ...(although buick is not doing well here ...seems like the chinese like it)
The G8 was doomed (when I bought one for my wife...gas was 3.89 a gallon and GM was already talking about killing Pontiac......if they had brought over the Caprice LTZ or Caprice SS...better yet made a RWD Impala SS

I'd have a new chevy in the yard...

I tried to buy a car from Chevy back in 2006 and I got spammed as they tried to force me into a truck...so my wife ended up with the Scion she just had to have...however; after driving the Scion for a couple of months she started driving the 02 Impala....leaving Scion for the kids to drive..(My wife got better highway and in town mileage with the 2002 Impala than she did with the Scion go figure...)

[IMG]http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a342/aboatguy/Caprice2.jpg[/IMG]

Mike
Posted on: 2010/7/2 19:14

Aboatguy Re: Where did we go wrong or Australia is makingV8 Supercars and we get the Volt
Senior Guru
498 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:
Quote:

Aboatguy wrote:

Mike

That's spelled N-ASS-SCAR.

The fans let it happen. Tony Stewart was right -pro wrestling.

The manufacturers feel that the fans are dumb enough to think changing decals and front fascia changes a Ford into a Chevy.

Plus the fans don't care if a Ford or Chevy wins anymore as long as their celebrity wins.

Australia has it right, so do the Brits.

Yea, funny that they won't sell a V8 sedan here but when you pass the soccer fields, it's wall to wall V8 Suburbans and Tahoes.

IMO the entire SUV phenomenon is due to the US Government's Cafe standards...

Americans wanted to keep their v8 three row seat station wagons...
Congress mandated CAFE standards had a loop hole for trucks to the station wagon evolved into a truck... SO the Brady's still had their 7 liter 12mpg station wagon....

Now the US car manufactures are actually light truck makers...

I'd buy the ford Falcon too.....

[IMG]http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a342/aboatguy/2010_ford_falcon-xr8_f34_ns_40810_7.jpg[/IMG]

Mike
Posted on: 2010/7/2 19:24

flyboy Re: Where did we go wrong or Australia is makingV8 Supercars and we get the Volt
Elite Guru
Westmont, Il.
2632 Posts

Yeah, Boatguy, and the new pending Cafe stds. are really going to finish off what was left.
I think killing Pontiac was a really bad move. Buicks aren't going to do what GM hoped. Around here, Pontiacs were the only domestic nameplate I saw young people in.
Bogus, I overheard part of a conversation last night at a cruise in "the cop cars are going to be made in Australia".
Say what?
Posted on: 2010/7/2 20:39

BrianCunningham Re: Where did we go wrong or Australia is makingV8 Supercars and we get the Volt
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

Unions must love that.

Well, the fans got rid of the wings on stockcars.

Something in the right direction.

BTW the reason you have oval racing in the US, is because they started off racing on horse tracks back when cars 1st came out.

then there was the wooden tracks
Resized Image
Posted on: 2010/7/2 21:10

BillH Re: Where did we go wrong or Australia is makingV8 Supercars and we get the Volt
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Good Ol Nascar. What can the fans look forward to now ? Invert the field with 50 to go? Debrie cautions if it gets windy? Let the guys a lap down pass the pace car and line up in front of the leaders?

Denny Hamlin, considered the biggest challenger this season to Johnson's reign, seemed opposed to any tweaks."Why do we keep wanting to change chase format," he posted on his Twitter page shortly after France concluded. "if we haven't noticed already ... the more we change stuff the lower the ratings get."

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. (AP) — NASCAR is considering tweaking the Chase for the Sprint Cup championship, with chairman Brian France wanting to create more drama to the title-deciding format.

Now, as NASCAR goes through a self-evaluation period designed to renew interest in a series that has suffered through sagging attendance and television ratings, changes to the Chase are again on the table.
France would not talk specifics, but in general terms, his ideas sounded as if NASCAR is considering both eliminations and tweaking the system to ensure that several drivers are in title contention during the season finale. In the past several years, Johnson has had to only preserve a decent finish to wrap up the title with little to no competition.
"We like a playoff-style format for sure," France said. "The big design is to have playoff type moments that only can be, in any sport, created when there's a lot on the line at any one moment. That's what the essence of Game 7s, eliminations and all that are.
"What we're talking about is enhancing it in a way that will bring out more of the winning moments, the big moments that happen in sports. And if there's a way we can do that, and there are a couple of ways, we're going to give that a lot of weight."
Drivers immediately questioned where NASCAR is headed, while Johnson, who has been accused by many fans of ruining the Chase with his dominance, seemed skeptical.
"I know their No. 1 goal is to make it entertaining and exciting," Johnson said. "The thing that I keep questioning them on is making sure that it follows the history of our sport and a champion is crowned in a way that respects the past and the past champions. Some of the ideas I've heard are absolutely crazy — it's more of a crapshoot than anything."
Carl Edwards felt NASCAR should proceed with caution.
"I believe that we should keep things as simple as possible," Edwards said. "We should keep them the same. I think that if you change things over and over, and this is just my opinion, but if you constantly change things, then it makes it harder to believe in and feel comfortable with."
Denny Hamlin, considered the biggest challenger this season to Johnson's reign, seemed opposed to any tweaks.
"Why do we keep wanting to change chase format," he posted on his Twitter page shortly after France concluded. "if we haven't noticed already ... the more we change stuff the lower the ratings get."
But NASCAR has always maintained that its Chase is a work in progress, and it will continually look at ways to improve that — as well as any other aspect of the sport — if it's in the best interest of the industry.
Although unlikely, it's possible, France indicated, that NASCAR won't do anything at all to the Chase. He compared the process over the next few months to what the NCAA recently experienced while considering expanding the field for the men's basketball tournament.
The NCAA originally discussed expanding to 96 teams, but when the idea wasn't well received, it instead expanded from 65 teams to just 68.
"We haven't made a decision," France said. "I think you saw that get played out with the NCAA tournament, as a matter of fact. A lot of things were discussed on their end. They ended up doing something that they thought worked for them, which was a lot less than they had originally considered.
"We're no different than that. It's their tournament, it's our Chase. So we'll look at what we think can make the biggest impact, managing the either unintended consequences or certainly the integrity of the format itself."
Posted on: 2010/7/2 21:30

pianoguy Re: Where did we go wrong or Australia is makingV8 Supercars and we get the Volt
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Posted on: 2010/7/2 22:03

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

BrianCunningham Re: Where did we go wrong or Australia is makingV8 Supercars and we get the Volt
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

That's pretty slick

I'd be happy if they returned to RWD or AWD
Posted on: 2010/7/2 22:48

CentralCoaster Re: Where did we go wrong or Australia is makingV8 Supercars and we get the Volt
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

I'm still Holden out for my El Camino. Hopefully the bed with the gate down is long enough to carry a bike. It also needs a carbureted option.

Resized Image
Posted on: 2010/7/3 1:14

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.