Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
300 user(s) are online (256 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Liter
Metric unit of measure. In the case of engine displacement, it measures the total volume of all combustion chambers. Therefore in a 5.7L V8, each cha...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

Matatk Tuesday Chat 07.13.10
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Good Morning CGs!

Geeze, is it only Tuesday? Is this week over yet

Well it looks like the pool patch is holding up alright. That is some super duper industrial glue in that tube that seems to bond pretty well. I hope it works for a while. Went for a swim with the baby last night and she was loving it as usual. My wife said that's all she talked about all day before I got home...lol. Gotta love it. I'm trying to get her to kick her legs and whatnot, maybe a precursor to swimming as opposed to me just holding her the entire time. Anyone have any experience with that?

Putting 50 miles a day on the car driving it back and forth to work, so my break in is going well. Still have some datalogging to do for the chip fine tuning. It'll get there.

Hope everyone has a great day!

Matthew
Posted on: 2010/7/13 11:43

pianoguy Re: Tuesday Chat 07.13.10
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Greetings! My week will be over after today. Gotta head to the dentist this morning, forgot I had a cleaning appointment. So both the Vette and my teeth will be gleaming when we leave for SD tomorrow. Hope the rain the weather geniuses are forecasting for tomorrow is a figment of their imagination.

Enjoy your day, gurus!
Posted on: 2010/7/13 12:12

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

TommyT-Bone Re: Tuesday Chat 07.13.10
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

I had a long workday yesterday and I have another long one in store today. Time for this cracker to get crackin. May the good news be yours .........
Posted on: 2010/7/13 12:28

BillH Re: Tuesday Chat 07.13.10
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

I did the motor & engine compartment wash yesterday on the C4, guess I'll do the interior and outside today.
I got $110 worth of "What color was that bolt?" books in the mail yesterday.

Attach file:

jpg  IMGP0836.JPG (0.00 KB)

Posted on: 2010/7/13 13:18

Vetron87 Re: Tuesday Chat 07.13.10
Elite Guru
Granger, Indiana
1988 Posts

GOOOOOD Morning Gurus. Taking a break today, drizzle, high of 82. Watching ultimate factories on Speed Channel about the Corvette Factory in Bowling Green.
Need to replace a power steering hose today on the Vette, I'll probably have to remove the pulley to get to it. Seems like I just replaced it in 1999 .
Planning out gazebo but I've hit the wall with it. I need a mental health vacation!!!
Well time to relax! watch the rain andmaybe I'll work on the Vette or maybe a nap.
Posted on: 2010/7/13 13:25

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:
I did the motor & engine compartment wash yesterday on the C4, guess I'll do the interior and outside today.
I got $110 worth of "What color was that bolt?" books in the mail yesterday.

Bill, How are you doing it? I usually cover the distributor and alternator, soak it down with degreaser, wipe high visibilty areas, hose it off, and put on a coat of detail spray. Then I run the engine for 15 or 20 minutes to get it good and warm to help the engine compartment dry out a bit. I'm doing this on an L-98. I wouldn't have the guts to even look at an opti with a hose in my hand. I'm always open to other techniques.
Posted on: 2010/7/13 13:26

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Quote:

Vetron87 wrote:
I need a mental health vacation!!!

That'll be here before you know it. A year just flies by.
Posted on: 2010/7/13 13:30

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

Vetron87 wrote:

Need to replace a power steering hose today on the Vette, I'll probably have to remove the pulley to get to it.

Would think you have a puller.
I don't see how anyone with a C4 can live without that particular tool.
Posted on: 2010/7/13 13:34

Elite Guru
Granger, Indiana
1988 Posts

Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:
[quote]
Vetron87 wrote:
I need a mental health vacation!!!

That'll be here before you know it. A year just flies by.[/quote

Your right the year is warp drive mode. Summers is half over
I noticed yesterday at Menards(like Home Depot) moving their lawn mowers and assembling snow blowers. Halloween stuff was being unloaded on the docks. Brian Kelley dominates local TV sports, Notre Dame Football can't be too far away.
Posted on: 2010/7/13 13:43

Elite Guru
Granger, Indiana
1988 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:
Quote:

Vetron87 wrote:

Need to replace a power steering hose today on the Vette, I'll probably have to remove the pulley to get to it.

Would think you have a puller.
I don't see how anyone with a C4 can live without that particular tool.

Yea I have the pullers! I'm just not in the mood to do it! Lazy!!! I guess too many irons in the fire. Bill what use to take me 2 hours to do now takes me 2 hours just to think about it. At 61 friends say "Ron slow down" maybe I'm fricking hyper! today my ass is dragging big time.
Posted on: 2010/7/13 13:50

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:

Bill, How are you doing it? I usually cover the distributor and alternator, soak it down with degreaser, wipe high visibilty areas, hose it off, and put on a coat of detail spray. Then I run the engine for 15 or 20 minutes to get it good and warm to help the engine compartment dry out a bit. I'm doing this on an L-98. I wouldn't have the guts to even look at an opti with a hose in my hand. I'm always open to other techniques.

Actually, that's pretty close. With the stock opti, you can put a plastic bag under the waterpump and around the opti followed by an old towel, work it around the opti gently with a screwdriver.

Once the initial, dirty, greasy cleanup is done on an engine, I forgo the degreaser and use Simple Green. Most of the spray degreasers will turn your hoses white, and it's hard to get them back to black.
Once the engine is clean, the top end (intake,etc.) can be wiped down with a rag. If your engine's leak free (and it should be), the washdown is just to remove dust and dirt.

I only use a hose to remove the SG and then only with a light fan spray. Never use a full stream on the hose (this ain't no greasy John Deere).

I use compressed air to blow off everything, like a hose, I use very light pressure on any connectors, plug wires. I really don't care if my plug wires, coil get wet because I dry them off right away. And if they can't take the water, they are too old and need replaced.

Then warm up the motor. Use your favorite to detail, I like ArmorAll Low Shine.

I do the SG thing on my Silverado's Vortec once a year and don't cover up anything.

Attach file:

jpg  IMGP0832.JPG (0.00 KB)

jpg  IMGP0834.JPG (0.00 KB)

Posted on: 2010/7/13 13:52

Elite Guru
Granger, Indiana
1988 Posts

Great detail!!!
Posted on: 2010/7/13 13:56

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

Vetron87 wrote:
Bill what use to take me 2 hours to do now takes me 2 hours just to think about it. At 61 friends say "Ron slow down" maybe I'm fricking hyper! today my ass is dragging big time.

I moved away from the town I grew up in cause my friends were saying slow down when they were 30. I can't be part of the S&S (sit and stare) crowd. That's why i don't have a pool.

When you finally get your butt retired, thinking about it for 2 hours will bring a smile to your face.

Hyper ain't a bad way to live.
Posted on: 2010/7/13 13:59

Elite Guru
Granger, Indiana
1988 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:
Quote:

Vetron87 wrote:
Bill what use to take me 2 hours to do now takes me 2 hours just to think about it. At 61 friends say "Ron slow down" maybe I'm fricking hyper! today my ass is dragging big time.

I moved away from the town I grew up in cause my friends were saying slow down when they were 30. I can't be part of the S&S (sit and stare) crowd.

When you finally get your butt retired, thinking about it for 2 hours will bring a smile to your face.

Hyper ain't a bad way to live.

Totally agree! I can usually outwork my younger (50 something counterparts) maybe it was the 93 temps and high hum. and welding in the sun that did me in, oh yea and that yard of top soil I moved out of the pickup. I never sit and stare, very seldom watch TV, hooked on CG blogging though.
Posted on: 2010/7/13 14:10

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

I'm giving a new product a try. It's called Bill Hirsch Miricle Heavy Duty Marine/Industrial Cleaner and Degreaser. I buy my RaggTopp cleaner and protectant products for my vert top care needs from them. They have some quality cleaning products. I've also used Simple Green. Mine doesn't look near as nice as yours Bill but I guess that's because I spend too much time staring at the pool. LOL.
Posted on: 2010/7/13 14:44

teebee Re: Tuesday Chat 07.13.10
2014 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Lakin, Kansas 67860
12370 Posts

Morning guys.....man I need to get out to the shop and work on those cabinets.....Ron and Bill are making me feel guilty. My butts been dragging the past two days, I hope today is better. So far I haven't gotten much done. Golfing last night was OK, I didn't hit the ball well, but the food was good.

Bill, you got a new project going that I haven't heard about? With that reading material, it appears so.
Posted on: 2010/7/13 15:51

One of Americas' proud Deplorable

Resized Image

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

teebee wrote:
Ron and Bill are making me feel guilty.

Bill, you got a new project going that I haven't heard about? With that reading material, it appears so.

You feel guilty????? You do more in a day than I do in a week.

New project, Ha. It's a very, very old project but since racing's on hold, I need something mechanical to do.
http://www.corvette-guru.com/modules/ ... p?topic_id=12269&forum=31
Posted on: 2010/7/13 16:16

Lakin, Kansas 67860
12370 Posts

So, Bill, do you have the car those parts fit on? Inquiring minds want to know.

There's a 67 427 roadster that is sitting in a shed here in town. I'm biding my time, thinking I might have a shot at it someday.
Posted on: 2010/7/13 17:20

Resized Image

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

teebee wrote:
So, Bill, do you have the car those parts fit on? Inquiring minds want to know.

There's a 67 427 roadster that is sitting in a shed here in town. I'm biding my time, thinking I might have a shot at it someday.

Yea, it looked like this in 1974.
How much for the roadster?

Attach file:

jpg  LastScan.jpg (0.00 KB)

Posted on: 2010/7/13 17:29

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

I should start an orginization called NRCS with a bootleg modified logo. Hell I'd be willing to certify a vette by mail for say .... 100 bucks as an official 100% NRCS qualified vehicle [jk]
Posted on: 2010/7/13 18:26

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:
I should start an orginization called NRCS with a bootleg modified logo. Hell I'd be willing to certify a vette by mail for say .... 100 bucks as an official 100% NRCS qualified vehicle [jk]

I joined NCRS in '75, it was founded in '74. But I'm 99% sure this car will never see an NCRS judge.

Since it's a matching numbers car and mostly origional (except for the sidepipes) I going full stock.

The NCRS manual for me is for what color the bolts were,etc.
The restoration manual is a book I've been wanting for years but haven't got around to purchasing. It has some mindblowing pics of the assembly plant, bodies being put together, origional blueprints, etc.
Neither book is a "How To" book.

Things like this are pretty neat:

Attach file:

jpg  Sticker2.jpg (0.00 KB)

Posted on: 2010/7/13 19:40

Lakin, Kansas 67860
12370 Posts

That a cool 67. What Lyndel Blue? (not sure of the spelling)

The roadster has not seen the light of day in 20 years of more. I found out about it back in 2004 shortly after I bought my 94, one of the kids in my class told me his dad had one in storage. So I asked him about it and he said he didn't know what year it was or anything about it. These people I had known for 15 years, sit in front of me in church every weekend. Any way I asked him about it one day after church and he told me all about it. He's had it since 73 or so, not original engine, needs lots of work. I just keep cool and don't pressure him, ask occasionally about it. He really has no interest in it, so I figure one of these days, I might get a chance at it.

On another note I was talking to another friend and he has a small block 66 roadster that needs a ton of work. It also hasn't seen the light of day in 10 years. He asked me about mine the other day, so in reciprocal, I asked about his and he told me that he had hoped that he could get it out and start fixing it up. His son has pretty much taken over the reins of the family farm and he was hoping that that would free up some time, but it hasn't happened. I doubt that one will be for sale though, as his son knows what it is.
Posted on: 2010/7/13 22:03

Resized Image

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

teebee wrote:
That a cool 67. What Lyndel Blue? (not sure of the spelling)

Thanks, Tom. It's actually Marina Blue in the pic but, the origional color is Lynndale Blue which I like better. It has a Teal interior.

I paid $3k for the car and drove it for 5 years. The motor started to smoke so I pushed it to the back of the shop. I also had a 65 Coupe at the time and just bought a georgious 76 for $4k. Nice having 3 Vettes in the garage at the same time.

The game plan has always been to keep it and work on it when I felt like it. I knew it would be many years until I touched it because of spending big bucks racing. But I also figured that I have $0 dollars in it - 3k for 5 years transportation. So save it rather than look for one years later.

Even though it's a low option car, it's a matching numbers car so, I'm going stock. Otherwise I'd consider a restomod.
The body's sitting on blocks off the frame. The frame's been sandblasted, acid etched and painted.
Now I need a whole lot of money.

The 67 roadster's value will be down quite a bit because of the engine. Takes big bucks to restore one the right way.
Posted on: 2010/7/14 1:15

BrianCunningham Re: Tuesday Chat 07.13.10
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

Nice car Bill
Posted on: 2010/7/14 1:34

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

BrianCunningham wrote:
Nice car Bill

Might be again, someday.
Posted on: 2010/7/14 2:19

Lakin, Kansas 67860
12370 Posts

Bill, I have the book "Vette Vues Factbook of the 1963-1967 Stingray" by M.F. Dobbins that I bought back in 1980, which has loads of info. You're more than welcome to borrow it if you think it will help. LMK
Posted on: 2010/7/14 4:04

Resized Image

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Posted on: 2010/7/14 12:32

Lakin, Kansas 67860
12370 Posts

That will bring a few dollars.....maybe 7 figures?
Posted on: 2010/7/14 12:38

Resized Image

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

teebee wrote:
Bill, I have the book "Vette Vues Factbook of the 1963-1967 Stingray" by M.F. Dobbins that I bought back in 1980, which has loads of info. You're more than welcome to borrow it if you think it will help. LMK

Thanks Tom, but yea, I've had it for years. I used to sit in NCRS meetings with Dr.Dobbins and know some of the guys whose cars are in the book. Noland Adams (who did the technical manual above) was usually at those meetings. And I rode to the meetings with Chip Miller (Corvettes at Carlisle). Some of the pics in the Factbook were taken in Chip's basement.

I also have the assembly manual, 200 pages of factory floor blueprints. And a 1967 Corvette parts book.
Posted on: 2010/7/14 13:36

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

Yea, big buck car.
I was in Chip Miller's basement one time when he had 4 L88s sitting side by side (one of each year).

The L88's were not built for the road but some did get licensed.
20 total in 67.
They came with manditory heater and radio delete.

Funny that they were rated at 425 HP, 10 HP less that the L71 (427/435). But the dynoed way more (580-620HP).
Posted on: 2010/7/14 13:41

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.