Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
306 user(s) are online (253 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  ABS
Antilock Braking System.

Standard on all C4s starting in 1986....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

Matatk Sunday Chat 08.29.10
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

Good Morning CGs!

Hope everyone had a safe and enjoyable Saturday night. I got home from work and a guy came over and purchased my hoist/stand/leveler that I used for the motor swap. I really had no more use for them and they took up a lot of room in the garage. Now there's more room for kids toys

I also got in a run last night. It was a 5 miler with 4 1:30 aerobic intervals and 6 sprint pickups at the end. It sounded much worse than it actually was. Came in at a little over 8:00 mile pace for the 5 miles so that wasn't half bad. I also signed up for a 5k race the other day that takes place on 9/11. It'll be good to get a little race competition under my belt.

So what did we all accomplish this weekend?

Hope everyone has a great day!

Matthew
Posted on: 2010/8/29 11:43

biggrizzly Re: Sunday Chat 08.29.10
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

Good Morning Guys! I'm still on a "Carlisle High"
I wish I could have stayed today, but my ride had to leave last night. As I stated in my other post this morning I had a great time and did a lot of walking and talking. I plugged Corvette Guru to countless people and event told Gordon Killebrew to stop by and say hi! I wish I had more time to check out the cars but I only had enough time to walk the rows and pick the one's that absolutely jumped out and grabbed you. Then I had to narrow my choices down to just a few and then one!! What a bitch that was.

I'm already looking forward to next year and also got a good boost in morale that might get me motivated to really begin working on mine!

I hope you all had a nice Saturday too.
Have a great Sunday
Posted on: 2010/8/29 12:46
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

TommyT-Bone Re: Sunday Chat 08.29.10
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Last night I watched the first half of Lawrence of Arabia. 50 year old movie and I've never seen it. Guess I have to wait till it comes on again to see the second half. I pulled out the 90 to go for a cruise yesterday then I here my doorbell ring. Fed-Ex man with my new DIRECTV boxes. Spent a couple hours goofin with them and trying to set up one remote to do everything. Classic FAIL. The Direct TV remote doesn't recognize an HP TV. I can turn the surround sound and DVD on and off with the main remote but that's about it. The bedroom TV works with everything but the sleep timer. That you have to do with the TV remote. So I still have 4 remotes in the living room and 2 remotes in the bedroom. At least I know what I'M doing. If a visitor tries to work them they just screw everything up. Gonna try to cruise a little today. Cloudy with showers. Screw it. Cars are built to get wet. Mrs T-Bone is working today at Fairchild Tropical Gardens drumming up some business. The house has been pretty quiet lately. SSsssshhhhh! Don't tell anyone. Later gang ......
Posted on: 2010/8/29 13:59

zoe6 Re: Sunday Chat 08.29.10
Senior Guru
Northern Indiana
167 Posts

Good Morning Guru's. Finally quit working on zo6 at 3 am, closed up shop. I'm back again with my collie ready to attack the vette. Vette is jacked up on stands ready to bleed brakes.
Vetron(dad) spent 4 hours total dive time yeaterday. He has a cut in his wet suit. I noticed both double tanks and a single tank is empty. Not sure what he was recovering, I hope what ever it was didn't bite him or fight him. Not sure if you will hear much from him today!
Well guys got hop to it on the Vette, suppose to drive it in two weeks to St.Paul/Minn to see a couple of my Purdue friends.
Have a great Sunday guys!! Erin

BillH Re: Sunday Chat 08.29.10
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

I'm still thinking about the C5 Z06 I instructed in yesterday. The guy bought it for $18k. It had 36k miles and didn't have a scratch on it anywhere, mint condition.
I gotta get a bigger garage.

Although, after 3 hours in it on the racetrack, I'm even more convinces that C5 seats suck.

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:
Although, after 3 hours in it on the racetrack, I'm even more convinces that C5 seats suck.

Bill, as much seat time as you've had I imagine 3 hours in any seat other than a recliner would suck.
Posted on: 2010/8/29 14:03

Senior Guru
Northern Indiana
167 Posts

SpectorRacing had a road course instruction I think this weekend. I wanted to attend but need more time to get use to vette before I tackle a road course.
Wow C5 for 18K! maybe 11K is not to bad for mine with 6 times the mileage
Posted on: 2010/8/29 14:09

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:
Quote:

BillH wrote:

Bill, as much seat time as you've had I imagine 3 hours in any seat other than a recliner would suck.

The seat in my racecar actually is a recliner.

Attach file:

bmp  _0001.bmp (0.00 KB)

Posted on: 2010/8/29 14:28

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

zoe6 wrote:
SpectorRacing had a road course instruction I think this weekend. I wanted to attend but need more time to get use to vette before I tackle a road course.

I'd highly recommend going to one of Jon's events. I'm sure the novice instruction is very good and not over the top for a first time driver, will help you in your street driving.

I've had many ladies on the track as students in their C4s,5s and 6s over the years.
And most returned for a second round.
Posted on: 2010/8/29 14:31

Senior Guru
Northern Indiana
167 Posts

I hope this doesn't sound ignorant! Isn't a road course really hard on the vette, or am I to conservative. I think I could really get into it.
Posted on: 2010/8/29 14:35

pianoguy Re: Sunday Chat 08.29.10
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Howdy! Easy day on the agenda, brunch and some music thing with friends. Yesterday I played maybe the most miserable round of golf I can remember - I think I am done. Went to the Vikings game last night - we had outstanding seats, row 11 near the 50-yard line. But the Metrodome is still a dump.

Here's something for hot race days :-P

http://www.sofreshsodry.com/products/fresh-balls/

Have a good one!
Posted on: 2010/8/29 14:56

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

Senior Guru
Northern Indiana
167 Posts

Well guys I have finished breakfast, posted here now its crunch time on the vette. Goal today is to bleed the brakes, finsh body reconditioning, polish, seal, and wax.
Clean interior with little green machine on carpet, leather conditioner and if time permits drive it.
Have a great Sunday guys! Gotta go my collie is chasing a rabbit!!!!
Posted on: 2010/8/29 15:00

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

zoe6 wrote:
I hope this doesn't sound ignorant! Isn't a road course really hard on the vette, or am I to conservative. I think I could really get into it.

Not in your initial events, no harder than spirited back road driving. It also depends on how hard you drive.

I've had both ladies and men in C5s,6's that drive reasonably fast on the track without punishing the car.
definately way faster than you can drive on the street.

You use up a bit of tires and a bit of brake pads/rotors but not that much.

The other end of the spectrum is drivers who push their cars very hard (race speeds) and they do use up tires & brakes.

The event's chief instructor will put you in whatever group suits your driving style or how hard you plan to run the car.

Many event drivers short shift (at 5k instead of redline) and brake way early for the turns (think of hard braking on a freeway off ramp) and still go fast and have a good time.

The agressive drivers brake very late, use up pads/rotors, slid the car some in the turns,etc.

The beauty of most HPDE events is that you can drive the way you want to. This is not racing.
Posted on: 2010/8/29 15:02

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Quote:
The other end of the spectrum is drivers who push their cars very hard (race speeds) and they do use up tires & brakes.

That's what I'm talkin about Willis.
Posted on: 2010/8/29 15:09

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

So, ah, Brad; What exactly was it that brought you to that product? Nevermind. Don't really want to know.
Posted on: 2010/8/29 15:13

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:
Quote:

When your wife runs faster that you around the cones????
Posted on: 2010/8/29 15:40

Vetron87 Re: Sunday Chat 08.29.10
Elite Guru
Granger, Indiana
1988 Posts

Good afternoon. High of 90 and sunny. Erin is busy working on her project "zoe". I see she has been posting alot! The kid loves this site. Her collie and my collie are down by the lake terrorizing minows. I hope all you guys are well, very busy yesterday! never had a chance to work on the 87. While Erin is doing her thing I will wash and wax the 87. My shop is about a twenty min drive from our house in Granger about a 30 minute drive for Erin. The dogs are soaked, funny to watch them. Got to fill up my scuba tanks at the firestation and get to work on the 87.
Have a great day!!
Posted on: 2010/8/29 16:12

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:
Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:
Quote:

When your wife runs faster that you around the cones????

Ouch! You m'er f'er. She does have 30 hp more than me too. I beat her 2 out of the last 5. Get to try again Sept. 26. She's no slouch behind the wheel either. She can give a lot of guys a run for their money. Kick a lot of their asses too. Kinda like Erin.
Posted on: 2010/8/29 16:17

Elite Guru
Granger, Indiana
1988 Posts

Tommy: Erin is talking about BiilH,SpectatorRacing,and the whole group and road racing. I think later on today she's going to e-mail Jon regarding learning how to drive on a course. OMG what have I created! She would probably pretty good at it. Competitve and energentic. At 27 there is no stopping her.
Posted on: 2010/8/29 16:33

Elite Guru
Granger, Indiana
1988 Posts

My laptop is a mess! We use my old Gateway to post here. She shares this computer, and it looks like carb cleaner hit the screen!, taco sauce on the keyboard. She has several laptop at her house that are dedicated to her lab work, I bet they don't have carb cleaner on their screen! Kids She corrected me its salsa
Posted on: 2010/8/29 16:42

Senior Guru
Northern Indiana
167 Posts

Hi Guru's successful day. Brakes are bleed, wheels clean ed with all the crud removed from the inner offset, torqued the wheels down to 125 ft pounds, interior put back in excellent condition, found a fifty dollar bill I'll have to get a hold of Kevin the previous owner and finished the body reconditioning. I will wax it in the next couple of days. Throttle body is spotless! Took it out for a drive, very impressive. Noticed its wants to run and seems to find its sweet spot at 3800 rpm. Its going to take me awhile to easy into this monster. Erin
Posted on: 2010/8/29 21:10

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

Vetron87 wrote:
Tommy: Erin is talking about BiilH,SpectatorRacing,and the whole group and road racing. I think later on today she's going to e-mail Jon regarding learning how to drive on a course. OMG what have I created! She would probably pretty good at it. Competitve and energentic. At 27 there is no stopping her.

I try to bust tommy's chops in every other post.

I spent 3 hours on track yesterday in a C5 Z06 with a guy who had just bought it the day before, had no clue about track driving. He was fast by the end of the day.

Erin would do good, she knows more about cars than 90% of my students. If i explained how the chassis takes a set in a corner, she'd understand. Most of my students would just look at me with their mouth open.
Posted on: 2010/8/29 21:36

Senior Guru
Northern Indiana
167 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:
Quote:

Vetron87 wrote:

I spent 3 hours on track yesterday in a C5 Z06 with a guy who had just bought it the day before, had no clue about track driving. He was fast by the end of the day.

Erin would do good, she knows more about cars than 90% of my students. If i explained how the chassis takes a set in a corner, she'd understand. Most of my students would just look at me with their mouth open.

Bill when I had te vette out I felt the "set" is that the relationship of speed and the position of car and the corner(apex) and the power to overcome any understeer? Does that sound right?
Posted on: 2010/8/29 21:47

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Quote:

zoe6 wrote:
Quote:

BillH wrote:
Quote:

Vetron87 wrote:

Bill when I had te vette out I felt the "set" is that the relationship of speed and the position of car and the corner(apex) and the power to overcome any understeer? Does that sound right?

Oh my God.

Attach file:

jpg  unbelievable.jpg (9.92 KB)
852_4c7ad7648b365.jpg 200X240 px
Posted on: 2010/8/29 21:55

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

zoe6 wrote:

Actually that term is what happens on corner entry after initial turn in. The suspension loads the outboard side of the car and the car rolls to that side somewhat, that side of the car moves down while the suspension (a-arms) move up. When it stops moving (rolling) that's the chassis taking a set. Feeling when this happens makes it easier to know when you can apply the power. It's a relatively simple thing and most drivers have never thought about it. Most get it and start to feel it when it's explained. Just one of the little things that reduce lap times. Thinking about usually reduces the amount of coasting that newer drivers do in the corners.
It is also part of "Slow in, Fast out" concept.
Posted on: 2010/8/29 21:58

Senior Guru
Northern Indiana
167 Posts

Tommy I'm I close? You drive in competition! You can feel it can't you??
Posted on: 2010/8/29 21:59

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

You gave a better answer than I could have come up with. Bill explained it as my instuctors have. That's why he's an instructor and I'm still knocking down cones.

Here's some food for thought.

http://www.thedirtforum.com/chassisdynamics.htm
Posted on: 2010/8/29 22:01

Senior Guru
Northern Indiana
167 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:
Quote:

zoe6 wrote:

Actually that term is what happens on corner entry after initial turn in. The suspension loads the outboard side of the car and the car rolls to that side somewhat, that side of the car moves down while the suspension (a-arms) move up. When it stops moving (rolling) that's the chassis taking a set. Feeling when this happens makes it easier to know when you can apply the power. It's a relatively simple thing and most drivers have never thought about it. Most get it and start to feel it when it's explained. Just one of the little things that reduce lap times. Thinking about usually reduces the amount of coasting that newer drivers do in the corners.
It is also part of "Slow in, Fast out" concept.

In other words if you can't feel the set and power out of the corner to quick your rear end wants to catch up to the front end, thus spinning out. Close? Erin
Posted on: 2010/8/29 22:03

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:
You gave a better answer than I could have come up with.

Here's some food for thought.

http://www.thedirtforum.com/chassisdynamics.htm

A website for your skivies?
Posted on: 2010/8/29 22:04

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

zoe6 wrote:
In other words if you can't feel the set and power out of the corner to quick your rear end wants to catch up to the front end, thus spinning out. Close? Erin

Yes, close.
There are other factors involved, like when the chassis is set, it's the best time to apply power since the car is set down the grip of the tires will be better. As the car starts to unload (roll back to normal stance) some weight comes off the outside rear tire so, applying power then will reload that corner of the car making the chassis roll to that side again and that can make things a bit squirrely.

All this being said, it's not very important to newer drivers, just something that can be discussed.
Posted on: 2010/8/29 22:12

Senior Guru
Northern Indiana
167 Posts

Thanks, experience will teach me the dynamics of the chassis and suspension geometry. I think I can feel it when I'm in the "zone" while driving. Knowing the limits. I notice that any little hard acceleration the rear end whats to brake lose. Brute force being controled by a small tire contact patch. Erin
Posted on: 2010/8/29 22:18

teebee Re: Sunday Chat 08.29.10
2014 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Lakin, Kansas 67860
12364 Posts

Bill, you are right the standard (the seats which the C5 Z06 has) seats in a Z06 are not very good. The sport seats, like I have, are much better. They didn't put those in the Z because they weigh more and they were trying to keep weight down as much as possible.

Guys, got up this morning and headed for home after a late night (2am) up talking to classmates at our reunion. It was really pretty nice to see some of these folks. Headed back to the In-laws and when getting there find that the MIL was worse than she was Friday night with the shingles, so my wife and FIL took her back to the E-room at the hospital. They gave her another anti-biotic. By the time we left, she was doing a little better. I had shingles a couple of years ago (on my back) and I felt like a horse had kicked me, hers are on her face and she has swelled up the one whole side of her face. The Dr today wants here to go see an eye Dr, tomorrow to make sure the virus hasn't gotten into her eye. So far she says that she can see fine, but I guess this can cause blindness. Say a little prayer for her.

We drove on home...met a Sheriff patrolmen, I knew he was there (radar detector) but he flashed his lights at me and gave me the slow down sign as he went by.....so I did, until I left the county and then bumped it back up to 70. Maybe he liked Corvettes... who knows. Tomorrow eve I have the second half of our club tourney, I hope that I don't have a bad night, like it sounds that Brad had. I don't really expect to win, but I want to play respectable.

Sorry for the long windedness tonight, just lots going on. See you tomorrow. Sometime when I have more time I'm coming back to this thread and study the instructions that Bill is giving.
Posted on: 2010/8/30 3:11

One of Americas' proud Deplorable

Resized Image

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.