Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
152 user(s) are online (103 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Vertte
Shorthand notation for Corvette Convertible. See also vert and vette...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

corvetteronw Bogus is published
Senior Guru
Lowell, MI
646 Posts

So I open my new Corvette Enthusiast magazine and find a C4 article on rear suspension by the editor, Andy Bolig. Except as I am reading along I notice a reference to Torrance, CA. WTH, Andy Bolig lives in Florida. I go back a read the author's name again - it says Andy BOGUS!
Wow - he's famous AND a wealthy author!
Nice article on the Banski Motorsports product!
It is in the Nov '10 issue.
I have found a beautiful screaming yellow C4 ZR-1 here at Carlisle that I am going to attempt to write about and submit to CE if the owner will let me.
Don't quit your day job Bogus - I know I won't yet!
Posted on: 2010/8/28 12:25

TommyT-Bone Re: Bogus is published
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Sorry to tell you Ron. He did quit his day job (for real). Andy reminds me a little of Sam Walton and Ross Perot. He hasn't let his money go to his head. He lives frugally. That's why he loves his C4 and jeepster. When he gets back from vacation in Hawaii I'm sure he'll be putting all his ducks in a row.

http://www.corvette-guru.com/modules/ ... id=135043#forumpost135043

http://www.corvette-guru.com/modules/ ... t_id=92670#forumpost92670

http://www.corvette-guru.com/modules/ ... t_id=52620#forumpost52620
Posted on: 2010/8/28 12:39
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

bogus Re: Bogus is published
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Thanks a million, Ron!!!!!!

It does feel surreal to see ones name in print like that...

And yes, I did quit my day job; more on that later.
Posted on: 2010/8/28 18:30

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

RedGut86 Re: Bogus is published
Guru Newb
36 Posts

Congrats!

I'll have to go pick up a copy.
Posted on: 2010/8/28 18:56

zoe6 Re: Bogus is published
Senior Guru
Northern Indiana
167 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
Thanks a million, Ron!!!!!!

It does feel surreal to see ones name in print like that...

And yes, I did quit my day job; more on that later.

Great article Andy. Your published! Yea!!!!! Do we address you as Dr. Andy now. This is so cool.
I hate to sound like a rookie but what is corvette forum, so there is another forum??? I would imagine that you are all here because of strife somewhere else! Does that make sense?? Anyway Congrats Dr. Andy
Erin

We have Corvette Enthusiast in the Lab break room. All I mean All of our Doctors own Vettes.
Posted on: 2010/8/29 0:49

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Erin,

You are one smart kid... er, young lady.

Pretty much all of us have been members of Corvetteforum.com at one point or another. I was on there for nearly 7 years and 40k posts... 30k technical and useful... the other 10k over in off topic.

The point being, they would rather control their content and their members, versus having the right answer. So they banned me for protesting their policies.

I don't need a new title... Grand Galatic Imperial Poobah is all I need.

Thanks!!!
Posted on: 2010/8/29 6:42

TommyT-Bone Re: Bogus is published
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:

I knew these were there for a reason.

Posted on: 2010/8/29 14:19

Senior Guru
Northern Indiana
167 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
Erin,

You are one smart kid... er, young lady.

Pretty much all of us have been members of Corvetteforum.com at one point or another. I was on there for nearly 7 years and 40k posts... 30k technical and useful... the other 10k over in off topic.

The point being, they would rather control their content and their members, versus having the right answer. So they banned me for protesting their policies.

Thanks!!!

So the other forum didn't like facts, or positive input on member questions!!! Uhm..... banned? I would think if your full "crap" you could be banned but not speaking facts and advice. Sounds like a lot of ego's got stomped on! I love it Dr. Andy, I'm glad you started this forum. Dad would want their heads on sticks He's Type A, aggressive down from Type A hostile.
Posted on: 2010/8/29 15:27

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I haven't met your Dad in person... but I have always suspected he is best the man covering your back in that dark alley, versus the opposite. That absolute confidence in knowing he won't go anywhere before taking care of the hostile.

The problem with CF was that they were bought out by a corporate entity. That meant their owner and admin left, and the men he had running the show already, were now poised to do the same thing without any guidance. They lost their check and balance.

I was one of four that was banned that day - CentralCoaster and JeffVette two of the others; at the same time, a 4th was banned, but he has moved on to building vintage hot rods.

The bottom line? They were more concerned with us complaining than with the content we were generating. If I complained at a rate of 10 messages per 100, that is a lot. But to them, the 3 or 4 challenges to their authority was more than they could tolerate.

So they banned us and absolutely gutted the C4 Tech area of its brain trust.
Posted on: 2010/8/29 17:56

bobges Re: Bogus is published
Senior Guru
Bushkill PA
254 Posts

Thanks and a great job Andy, This is what makes me show up here every day
Posted on: 2010/8/29 18:35

Senior Guru
Northern Indiana
167 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
I haven't met your Dad in person... but I have always suspected he is best the man covering your back in that dark alley, versus the opposite. That absolute confidence in knowing he won't go anywhere before taking care of the hostile.

The problem with CF was that they were bought out by a corporate entity. That meant their owner and admin left, and the men he had running the show already, were now poised to do the same thing without any guidance. They lost their check and balance.

I was one of four that was banned that day - CentralCoaster and JeffVette two of the others; at the same time, a 4th was banned, but he has moved on to building vintage hot rods.

The bottom line? They were more concerned with us complaining than with the content we were generating. If I complained at a rate of 10 messages per 100, that is a lot. But to them, the 3 or 4 challenges to their authority was more than they could tolerate.

So they banned us and absolutely gutted the C4 Tech area of its brain trust.

Good for us bad for them. I see a lot of people lose their way and then focus. Lot of egos get in the way of good sound practice and judgement. I would think that if people with credability complained then there must be validity to the stated problem. So the bottom line is they never learned to listen!
Thanks for the comment about dad! Erin
Posted on: 2010/8/29 21:31

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Lemme paint a picture for you kiddo...

"Southern Sheriff Deputy"
Posted on: 2010/8/30 6:31

Vetron87 Re: Bogus is published
Elite Guru
Granger, Indiana
1988 Posts

Congrats Andy! I must have missed this yesterday. Do you publish many articles?
Posted on: 2010/8/30 12:38

twisted Re: Bogus is published
Guru Newb
New Jersey
20 Posts

Thats great Bogus - I had photos published in CE Nov 08 I took at the Corvette Challenge National drag event in Va
Posted on: 2010/9/14 10:41

1990 ZR-1 Artic White Grey Gut 37,247 miles For Sale
twist...

anesthes Re: Bogus is published
Master Guru
Boston, MA
646 Posts

Quote:

zoe6 wrote:

Good for us bad for them. I see a lot of people lose their way and then focus. Lot of egos get in the way of good sound practice and judgement. I would think that if people with credability complained then there must be validity to the stated problem. So the bottom line is they never learned to listen!

It's a business. IB owns lots of sites. People get pissed off when things change. Fact is, the business model works. IB stock has gone up consistently the past 18 months.

When IB took over both sites, thirden.org and corvetteforum.com, both lost a few tech guys. But both also lots a bulk of the idiots, some of which worshipped and followed the good tech guys. They still have some strong tech folks like LD85, PeteK whom also moderates thirdgen.org, mseven, and tequilaboy.

I don't remember why Andy got banned. I know CC got banned frankly because he was baiting them. The mocking IB avatar was the 'last straw' if I recall.

You also can't piss off the owner. I don't agree with 99.9% of what Andy says tech wise, but if I spent all day calling him out what type of warm welcome should I expect on here?

-- Joe
Posted on: 2010/9/14 14:45

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Joe -

Business IS business... but IB handled the take over of CF much like the Nazi take over of Czechslovakia... with brutal efficency.

They were enforcing the rules of CF with authority and no compassion anymore. It lost its fun.

I can dig back into emails, but the bottom line is that they drove good ppl away in an attempt to create their own insular little world.

It was interesting... some weeks back, my name came up in regards to an article I sent into CE... Several ppl were like, "where did he go" and some answered with vague references to this place. Some of the CF members are so myopic, they would rather I come back than they risk visiting here.

I loved the fact ppl missed me, but gee...

Also, the business model for IB is interesting. It's what makes sites like this worth owning and how we get to set our ad rates.

1. Ppl post.
2. Ppl reply.
3. This happens a LOT.
4. Over 10+ years, you get lots of hits and lots of posts.
5. Everytime someone does a search (yahoo or google), your site is always on the first page.
6. Short of epic disaster, that legacy is always there.

This is how IB leverages the sites they own. They paid real good money to get that legacy. They then came in and cleared out the key ppl who created that legacy. I think that is what pisses me off the most. They wanted the legacy, but didn't give a damn about the ppl who created it.
Posted on: 2010/9/14 18:06

Elite Guru
Granger, Indiana
1988 Posts

Quote:

anesthes wrote:
Quote:

zoe6 wrote:

It's a business. IB owns lots of sites. People get pissed off when things change. Fact is, the business model works. IB stock has gone up consistently the past 18 months.

When IB took over both sites, thirden.org and corvetteforum.com, both lost a few tech guys. But both also lots a bulk of the idiots, some of which worshipped and followed the good tech guys. They still have some strong tech folks like LD85, PeteK whom also moderates thirdgen.org, mseven, and tequilaboy.

I don't remember why Andy got banned. I know CC got banned frankly because he was baiting them. The mocking IB avatar was the 'last straw' if I recall.

You also can't piss off the owner. I don't agree with 99.9% of what Andy says tech wise, but if I spent all day calling him out what type of warm welcome should I expect on here?

-- Joe

Business models are fine. On a forum like ours there is certain amount trust and relationship building that builds a legacy. Calling people out or or getting in someones shit should be relegated to high schoolers. Wow if an avatar is offensive or you say something that contradicts a popular opinion thats too bad its America right! I have since read a few posts on CF seems a little sterile with no interaction from the members. Heaven forbid HCF.
I have never been confronted by anyone, and walk any wanting to come back day after day. Hey we have a pretty good thing going here.
Posted on: 2010/9/14 18:28

Master Guru
Boston, MA
646 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
Joe -

Business IS business... but IB handled the take over of CF much like the Nazi take over of Czechslovakia... with brutal efficency.

They were enforcing the rules of CF with authority and no compassion anymore. It lost its fun.

I can dig back into emails, but the bottom line is that they drove good ppl away in an attempt to create their own insular little world.

It was interesting... some weeks back, my name came up in regards to an article I sent into CE... Several ppl were like, "where did he go" and some answered with vague references to this place. Some of the CF members are so myopic, they would rather I come back than they risk visiting here.

I loved the fact ppl missed me, but gee...

Also, the business model for IB is interesting. It's what makes sites like this worth owning and how we get to set our ad rates.

1. Ppl post.
2. Ppl reply.
3. This happens a LOT.
4. Over 10+ years, you get lots of hits and lots of posts.
5. Everytime someone does a search (yahoo or google), your site is always on the first page.
6. Short of epic disaster, that legacy is always there.

This is how IB leverages the sites they own. They paid real good money to get that legacy. They then came in and cleared out the key ppl who created that legacy. I think that is what pisses me off the most. They wanted the legacy, but didn't give a damn about the ppl who created it.

Maybe I don't see the big picture due to my timeline with CF.. I didn't join CF until I bought a C4, and I sold my C4 within a few years of buying it so I stopped posting on CF. My experience on CF was a few tech guys like LD85, CC, and tequilaboy who I could talk drivetrains and blowers with. And about 99.9% waxer 'tards who can't turn a wrench, and parts guys who think they are engineers.. So from when I joined, during the IB takeover, and as I stopped posting I didn't really see too much 'change'. Sure a few guys got the boot, but it didn't seem to make much difference. The same stupid threads got posted day in and day out. I did notice some of the mods got the boot too, including that idiot who worked for UPS and thought he was god.

Like I said, we had the same takeover on TGO where I have been a member, and moderator for many years. I think I first joined TGO in the late 90s. Didn't have the same impact as your suggesting on CF.. Although, I did notice a few C4 guys popping up on TGO in the last couple years, but I think mainly that is because we have a larger EFI tuning forum.

I pop in here once and a while because I know some of the guys here. My complaint if there was one wouldn't be with the people here but the software is a little strange. I guess after using a certain software on every forum I'm a member of, or moderate this is the one 'odd one'.

-- Joe
Posted on: 2010/9/14 21:19

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Joe - I see why you feel the way you do. If you weren't at CF during that period, you wouldn't understand the way they gutted the C4 section.

You are right, the moron factor was always there, but we, the brain trust, did our part to mitigate it a bit. On the other hand, without the braintrust there, the place gets full of stupid questions. And worse yet, when someone has a good question, they get shit answers.
Posted on: 2010/9/14 22:44

Senior Guru
Northern Indiana
167 Posts

Quote:

anesthes wrote:
Quote:

zoe6 wrote:

-- Joe

So.. Joe I'm confussed.. you don't agree with 99.9% of what Andy says tech wise. I have gotten 100% good advise tech wise. These guys know their vettes and don't mind helping any rookie with a challenge, I doubt if CF would be so open minded with some of the things I asked. Just like my dad I getting wound up here. Hum..... enjoy the forum, sorry its been a long day, I'm taking my colllie and going home. Erin.
Posted on: 2010/9/15 0:09

Master Guru
Boston, MA
646 Posts

Quote:

zoe6 wrote:

So.. Joe I'm confussed.. you don't agree with 99.9% of what Andy says tech wise. I have gotten 100% good advise tech wise.

I have no personal problems with him. Nor do I have any intentions or arguing with him.

I'm sure other folks on here don't agree with me. Doesn't really matter. I do things my way because it works for me.

I also don't post much anymore, unless it's a generic subject like ECM's or cylinder heads. I still have a bad taste in my mouth for C4's. I have a hard time giving someone tech advice when I really want to say "why the f*** are you spending money on stupid shit like that".. Perhaps the problem is I'm a drag racer.

-- Joe
Posted on: 2010/9/15 2:29

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I am not arguing when I ask this question: Are my posts so wrong that you disagree with them that much? Are you that contrary as to wish them to be that wrong? Or was your statement a typo?

I read it and had an issue, but assumed you meant "I don't disagree..."

To be honest, if my tech was that wrong, I don't think I would be running this site...
Posted on: 2010/9/15 4:16

Master Guru
Boston, MA
646 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
I am not arguing when I ask this question: Are my posts so wrong that you disagree with them that much? Are you that contrary as to wish them to be that wrong? Or was your statement a typo?

To be honest, if my tech was that wrong, I don't think I would be running this site...

Not "wrong" per say, I just tend to notice I don't agree with your way of thinking. Sometimes you are wrong too. Like when you insisted the TPI cars were bank-to-bank injector firing and I told you they were batch.

Plus you feel the LT1/LT4 is a good engine. I think it was chevy's mid 90s mistake that was pulled from market just after a few years. Does that make you 'wrong' ? No not at all. I just don't agree with you on that.

Maybe 99.9% is not the right number, but I'm 100% convinced that my idea of a built car is not the same as your idea.

-- Joe
Posted on: 2010/9/15 9:51

Elite Guru
Granger, Indiana
1988 Posts

Quote:

anesthes wrote:
Quote:

zoe6 wrote:

So.. Joe I'm confussed.. you don't agree with 99.9% of what Andy says tech wise. I have gotten 100% good advise tech wise.

I have no personal problems with him. Nor do I have any intentions or arguing with him.

I have a hard time giving someone tech advice when I really want to say "why the f*** are you spending money on stupid shit like that".. Perhaps the problem is I'm a drag racer.

-- Joe

Joe after reading your post I feel its a little one sided, members could say why the f(*&^ is Joe wasting his money on drag racing but we don't we respect your expertise in that field. I have a pet peve about using "him" in a conversational sentence. It shows lack of respect and animosity towards the him in the sentence structure. I enjoy this forum daily and I truly respect these guys. I respect their experience and wellingness to share. Take it for what its worth I'm just a Wood Shop Teacher.
Posted on: 2010/9/15 16:42

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quote:

anesthes wrote:
Quote:

bogus wrote:

Not "wrong" per say, I just tend to notice I don't agree with your way of thinking. Sometimes you are wrong too. Like when you insisted the TPI cars were bank-to-bank injector firing and I told you they were batch.

Plus you feel the LT1/LT4 is a good engine. I think it was chevy's mid 90s mistake that was pulled from market just after a few years. Does that make you 'wrong' ? No not at all. I just don't agree with you on that.

Maybe 99.9% is not the right number, but I'm 100% convinced that my idea of a built car is not the same as your idea.

-- Joe

There is a fine line between "wrong" and "disagree".

From a street perspective, yes, the LT1 is a fine engine. From a drag (or even road race) perspective, not so fine.

The performance options are not there for it. But the engine has shown to be durable and reliable, on the street, for lots of miles. More so in many cases than the L98.

Was the LT1 the best idea GM ever had? Hell no. They could have used the LT5 lost spark, but nooooooo, they had to engineer this screwed up Opti thing. This is when you have a pissing contest between to idiots - the engine guys at GM wanting to outdo the LT5 team - us innoncent bystanders get wet.

However, the L98 does have the advantage of being a conventional smallblock. Hense, performance parts are plentiful.

I think the biggest problem is perspective. I am not a drag racer. Period. End of discussion. I do appreciate the hobby, it just isn't me. And as a drag car, the Corvette in general, leaves a lot to be desired. IRS just doesn't cut it for drag racing, and using a car like the Vette or Viper as a drag racer seems like the waste of a damned good chassis... it's like using a 72 Chevelle as an autocrosser, there are better tools for the task at hand.

My perspective is simple: A street car that has more guts than stock, but not so much that it loses its drivability. Is there a practical purpose to that 650hp street car? For the most part, I figure that 500hp is a good max point for the C4, perhaps more for the C5 or C6, but not at the expense of drivability (Z06 and ZR1 prove my point). I have driven tempermental performance cars... it really becomes exhausting, and detracts from the goal - a nice drive.

I also want my car to stop and turn well. Transient response - the ability to react to changing traffic conditions - is more important than all out g forces in the corner. The key is the tire keeping contact with the tarmac... once that bond is broken, really bad things can happen.

I have to repeat something Gale Banks told me. When GM was shopping around to have the B2K Corvettes built, back in the mid-80s, he was approached, but didn't have the time, desire, resources to deal with GM and the associated army of blue suits. He sent them to Reeves Callaway, and the rest is history. However, Gale views much of these modification firms, not so much as engineering companies, but as "ego-geering." They generate bigger numbers so ppl can sling them around in some bench racing fantasy.

Oh, isn't batch and bank-to-bank the same thing? I think we were arguing that all 8 went at once versus 4 at a time. They are all batch until sequential showed up.

Perhaps this will clarify my place... and if nothing else we can agree to disagree.
Posted on: 2010/9/15 17:13

flyboy Re: Bogus is published
Elite Guru
Westmont, Il.
2632 Posts

Good article.
You say these parts actually improve the ride over stock.
They are probably overkill for my driving style, but since rubber replacements no longer seem to be available I will probably go with these when the time comes.
Posted on: 2010/9/15 18:24

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Yes, it really does improve ride. The bearings are more compliant, allowing the spring to do its job better.

I have had the system on the car for nearly a year now, no regrets at all!!!
Posted on: 2010/9/15 19:13

Master Guru
Boston, MA
646 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:

There is a fine line between "wrong" and "disagree".

Right, which is why I said you were not wrong, I just don't usually agree with you.

Quote:

bogus wrote:

From a street perspective, yes, the LT1 is a fine engine. From a drag (or even road race) perspective, not so fine.

The performance options are not there for it. But the engine has shown to be durable and reliable, on the street, for lots of miles. More so in many cases than the L98.

Fair enough.

Quote:

bogus wrote:

However, the L98 does have the advantage of being a conventional smallblock. Hense, performance parts are plentiful.

I think the biggest problem is perspective. I am not a drag racer. Period. End of discussion. I do appreciate the hobby, it just isn't me. And as a drag car, the Corvette in general, leaves a lot to be desired. IRS just doesn't cut it for drag racing, and using a car like the Vette or Viper as a drag racer seems like the waste of a damned good chassis... it's like using a 72 Chevelle as an autocrosser, there are better tools for the task at hand.

My points exactly. Totally different world, so when something works for you I might have a totally different opinion about the use, durability, and costs associated with it.

Quote:

bogus wrote:

My perspective is simple: A street car that has more guts than stock, but not so much that it loses its drivability. Is there a practical purpose to that 650hp street car? For the most part, I figure that 500hp is a good max point for the C4, perhaps more for the C5 or C6, but not at the expense of drivability (Z06 and ZR1 prove my point). I have driven tempermental performance cars... it really becomes exhausting, and detracts from the goal - a nice drive.

The.. Problem if you will with the C4 is 500hp reliability.
Between the IRS, weak transmission offerings, and tight packaging and associated costs of things like headers and exhaust.. Well it just isn't cheap to do it 'right'.
24 or 25k in, looking back I coudln't have done it much differently. Speaking to guys like LD85 who have been there too, looking back again heck I think he said it himself "Catback, then stop.." Just not the right platform for super go fast.

Now.. For carving back roads or driving to work. I'd take a LT4 convertible.. I'll just never mod one again..

Quote:

bogus wrote:

Oh, isn't batch and bank-to-bank the same thing? I think we were arguing that all 8 went at once versus 4 at a time. They are all batch until sequential showed up.

Batch is all at once. The ECM doesn't have the ability to fire the banks separate because they are wired to a single driver. Bank to bank is more like 'batches', heh.

Quote:

bogus wrote:

Perhaps this will clarify my place... and if nothing else we can agree to disagree.

Like I said. I have no problems, especially personally. Just different ways of doing things and opinions.

But my original point was, if I posted on here every day that Andy was stupid and didn't know anything about drag cars I wouldn't expect to have a working account. Some guys, maybe not you, but some guys did that when IB took over and the fact is if you bait the owners you should expect to be fished out..

-- Joe
Posted on: 2010/9/15 19:15

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I understand what you are saying, Joe... and as far as cars and Corvettes, we are in 100% agreement.

I do think that ppl throw "batch" injection around as a generic for anything that isn't sequential.

As for IB... they were throttling anything that resembled open discussion on things. In short, the place was not very free to discuss topics of any kind. If the product competed with a vendor, it was locked. If the topic critized a vendor, it was locked. If a topic discussed something at another forum, it was locked. God forbid you xref to ebay...

It was those attitudes that got to me. Normally, I am easy going and live within the rules, but once the rules stop making sense, I start questioning them.

In short, what happened there was a good old case of civil disobediance.

Nothing more. Nothing less. They had the right to ban, no question. And I don't hate them for the act, I dispise them for the REASONS.
Posted on: 2010/9/15 23:04

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.