Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
299 user(s) are online (255 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  D44
This references the rear differential.

The D36 was the smaller unit. Used on all 1984 Corvettes, and all automatic Corvettes after that.

The ...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

rklessdriver Carnage....
Senior Guru
Woodbridge, VA
1318 Posts

Broke on the first pass tonight.

Kinda hard to see everything that is broken, but - Driver's side half shaft is destroyed. Both inner and outer end yolks are egged out or just flat broke off. I have at least one broken U-Joint strap bolt in the drivers side stub axel. Suspension upright also has some fresh new scars to add to the few it already had....

Passanger side outer U-Joint is broken in half and wedged together so I could at least (very slowly) move the car off the race track...

I got greedy and came out on the clutch too hard with way too much RPM. Car left hard and then as soon as I came completely out on the clutch - I heard the "BANG" and the car went side ways. I gathered it up and eased down the track to the return road.

I'll take it apart when I get time and fix it. Local guy (on the "other site") to me parts out a bunch of C4's - so I'm going to send him a PM and see if has the parts I think I need. Looks like 2 half shafts and possibally a drivers side stub axel for now.

We only have 3 more weeks of Test and Tune here so unless a miracle happens it looks like I'm done racing until next year... There is just too much to do to the new house before we move in.

Shit breaks at the worst possible time and when things go bad they really go bad..... Speaking of which - I dropped my Smith and Wesson Model 36 when I got home and broke the friggen end of the hammer off it. Well the darn hammer was always hanging up on my jacket pocket and I was thinking of making it DAO. Now I got an excuse to break out the dremel.

I'll get the video of the car up when I get a min.
Will
Posted on: 2010/10/7 2:12

1972 Corvette. LS5 454 BBC with M20 4 speed.
Best Pass - Doing good to just pass a gas station.
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

bogus Re: Carnage....
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

yea... these damned C4 IRS setups do reach a limit... sorry you found it.

The most important part is that you are ok and the damage is easily fixed!!!
Posted on: 2010/10/7 2:28

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

rklessdriver Re: Carnage....
Senior Guru
Woodbridge, VA
1318 Posts

Looks worse on the camera than it seemed in the car. I heard it break, then felt it spin the tires real hard and turn left "a little" - but it looks like it really got out of shape.

Andy -

Your right of course. Even if I have to buy both shafts and stub axels I'm probally only looking at a couple of hundred dollars.

A fellow racer used his rollback to get it home for me and then tried to take only $60.00 (for a 15-20 mile tow)... I tried to pay him a hundred - but he flat refused to take more than $80.00...

I thought things were looking up - until I dropped my gun...

Thanks for the good words.
Will
Posted on: 2010/10/7 2:49

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

oh, that sounds tragic... you can hear the break go!

Again, glad you're ok!
Posted on: 2010/10/7 6:10

CentralCoaster Re: Carnage....
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Ouch. At least you didn't nail the wall. Imagine if it let go on the 1-2 shift.

Get that gun fixed then shoot the car. Halfshafts and ujoints are still cheaper than a diff. What clutch do you have? Do you think the torque broke it or the initial hit? The thing with stickshifts is there's usually slack in the drivetrain unless you roll on to it a little.
Posted on: 2010/10/7 6:17

biggrizzly Re: Carnage....
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

Sounds like an easy and inexpensive repair! Good thing it wasn't something else.

BTW -- S&W should be willing to replace that hammer FOC. I'd give them a call. You can do it yourself or take it to a gunsmith. Its pretty easy repair.
Posted on: 2010/10/7 12:50

Senior Guru
Woodbridge, VA
1318 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
What clutch do you have? Do you think the torque broke it or the initial hit? The thing with stickshifts is there's usually slack in the drivetrain unless you roll on to it a little.

SPEC Stage 3 clutch with a Fidanza alum flywheel.

It’s hard to tell when which parts let go first. I never felt like anything was broken on the right side. I was slipping the clutch until the car turned sideways which is the point I was 100% locked up. I defiantly felt the passenger side break at that point.

Once I got the car back to my pit box and got up under it, I was expecting the drivers side stuff to be destroyed but I was really surprised to see the outer U-Joint on the right side split in half as well.

It sucks - everything was brand new under the rear end. New Brute Force U-Joints, new 3.91 gear, polished/cryo'd posi unit shimmed/tuned to an inch of it's life, cryo'd inner stub axels.

I got too much $$$ invested to shoot it. The fellow over on CF cut me a real good price on 2 half shafts and I think the U-Joints have a life time guarantee so I'll try to dig up the recipt. Hopefully the outer stub axels are still OK and I can get the broken strap bolt out of the drivers side.
Will
Posted on: 2010/10/7 14:11

Matatk Re: Carnage....
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Sorry to hear that!
Posted on: 2010/10/7 14:16

Senior Guru
Woodbridge, VA
1318 Posts

Quote:

biggrizzly wrote:
BTW -- S&W should be willing to replace that hammer FOC. I'd give them a call. You can do it yourself or take it to a gunsmith. Its pretty easy repair.

Yea the hammer spur is no big deal to repair and like I said - I'm tired of it tearing up the lining of my coat pockets. I'm just pissed that I dropped the thing. First time I've ever done that. I'll just cut the rest of the hammer spur off it like Smith does on the newer Model 37's.

I took it out of my pocket and went to place it on my work bench and my hand just gave out (I have some really bad nerve damage in that hand) at the wrong time and it slipped off the edge of the work bench on to the concrete floor. Thank god for the hammer block. Things could have been much worse if it had discharged.
Will
Posted on: 2010/10/7 14:20

CentralCoaster Re: Carnage....
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

I don't think there's a chance in hell of it discharging if you drop it. Urban legend?
Posted on: 2010/10/7 15:52

BrianCunningham Re: Carnage....
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

Sorry to hear

I know where to get 32 spline stubaxles & steel halfshafts if your interested
Posted on: 2010/10/7 16:25

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
I don't think there's a chance in hell of it discharging if you drop it. Urban legend?

Urban legend based on a touch of fact... really old school hand guns would go off if the hammer was hit hard, but modern revolvers get a sheild that keeps the hammer from striking in the resting position.
Posted on: 2010/10/7 16:48

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quote:

rklessdriver wrote:
Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
What clutch do you have? Do you think the torque broke it or the initial hit? The thing with stickshifts is there's usually slack in the drivetrain unless you roll on to it a little.

SPEC Stage 3 clutch with a Fidanza alum flywheel.

It’s hard to tell when which parts let go first. I never felt like anything was broken on the right side. I was slipping the clutch until the car turned sideways which is the point I was 100% locked up. I defiantly felt the passenger side break at that point.

Once I got the car back to my pit box and got up under it, I was expecting the drivers side stuff to be destroyed but I was really surprised to see the outer U-Joint on the right side split in half as well.

It sucks - everything was brand new under the rear end. New Brute Force U-Joints, new 3.91 gear, polished/cryo'd posi unit shimmed/tuned to an inch of it's life, cryo'd inner stub axels.

I got too much $$$ invested to shoot it. The fellow over on CF cut me a real good price on 2 half shafts and I think the U-Joints have a life time guarantee so I'll try to dig up the recipt. Hopefully the outer stub axels are still OK and I can get the broken strap bolt out of the drivers side.
Will

I would look for a different brand of u-joint. The Brut Force wasn't all that popular with the racers. Apparently, the shoulder design is thinner and causes the joint to fail.

I don't know if they resolved this...
Posted on: 2010/10/7 16:50

Senior Guru
Woodbridge, VA
1318 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
I would look for a different brand of u-joint. The Brut Force wasn't all that popular with the racers. Apparently, the shoulder design is thinner and causes the joint to fail.

I don't know if they resolved this...

I just ordered the solid Dana/Spicer 1350 u-joint kit and strap/bolt kit for the half shafts from Denny's Driveshaft.

Will
Posted on: 2010/10/7 18:17

Mekanic Re: Carnage....
Registered Vendor
Tampa Bay Florida
827 Posts

Tricky decision about dragging a C4... upgrade the half shafts and stubs and break the ring, or leave it alone and save the ring
Posted on: 2010/10/8 1:53

Yea tho I walk through the valley in the shadow of rice, I shall fear no turbo, for torque art with me.

Josh Re: Carnage....
Guru
Raleigh, NC
666 Posts

I have a bunch of extra parts, and I'm pretty close. If you need something in a hurry, let me know and we can meet in the middle somewhere.
Posted on: 2010/10/8 3:29

Josh Re: Carnage....
Guru
Raleigh, NC
666 Posts

Oh ya, I'm back in NC now. My car stuff is still in Baltimore until the 30th of the month though. Let me know if you need anything and we'll work out a way to get it to you ASAP.

Don't sweat the season man, get it sqaured away and cruise down here to Raleigh. We'll hook up, drink a beer, and hit a TnT night down here. They run all year round here, November - February is when it cools down enough to really lay down some good numbers.

I'm hoping to close on my first house November 5th or so, so I know what you're going through with the home buying process. What a pain in the ass. Never in my life did I dream I would be spending six figures and feel so powerless. Buy a 6 figure car and the dealership is all but giving you a handjob, buy a 6 figure house and you've got to suck some dick to even get a phone call returned. What a tremendous bunch of bullshit, I can't believe some people wonder why the mortgage/banking system has all but failed. I'm so pissed off about it, there is SO much wrong with it, that it literally makes bile rise in the back of my throat if I think about it for more than a few minutes. Fuck, what a shitty way to end a post. My bad. Good luck with your car, and again, let me know if you need anything.
Posted on: 2010/10/8 3:38

Senior Guru
Woodbridge, VA
1318 Posts

Thanks Josh.

I picked up the new halfshafts a few mins ago. U Joints and strap kits will ship sometime next week and then 2 days delivery from NY. The fellow I bought the half shafts from also has an outer stub axel but he didn't want to seperate it from the entire suspension upright. Price was still good ($50) but I'm going to try and get that bolt out of mine first.

I'll let you know howit shakes out.

Your right about the home thing. Now that I actually signed the darn papers on the thing it's getting even worse. I have to stop by every day to check over the dry wall and paint work that the contractors are doing now.

Then there is bidding contractors to do new flooring... Who knew carpet and laminate flooring could cost over 10 grand??

Good luck with yours.
Will
Posted on: 2010/10/8 15:39

Senior Guru
Woodbridge, VA
1318 Posts

Well I managed to get everything apart today.

Sorry but I didn't take a bunch of pics because there just wasn't time and others have already documented how to pull half shafts and stub axels better than I could.

[IMG]http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f303/rklessdriver/Corvette/DSC00027.jpg[/IMG]

Like I thought both half shafts are beyond fixing. Too bad... Some how I think I'm going to need spares.

The drivers side outer stub axle is fixable - but not by me with hand tools. The bolt is broken at an angle and there's no way for me to hand drill it straight...

I'm going to contact the guy that sold me the new halfshafts and buy that entire suspension upright assy he offered me for $50.00 and then this Thanksgiving when I go to see my folks I'm going to take my orginal stub axel and put on the Bridgeport and mill the bolt out of it so I can keep it for a spare.

Everything on the right side is back together with a new halfshaft (with new Spicer U Joints) and all new Spicer U Joint straps and bolts.

Once I get the new stub axle it'll take me maybe 45mins to put the other side back together. I'll probally accomplish this Friday.
Will
Posted on: 2010/10/17 23:27

pr0zac Re: Carnage....
Elite Guru
Pittsburgh
1045 Posts

wow. i know this is going to happen like a week after i put my car on the road.
Posted on: 2010/10/17 23:44

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.