Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
221 user(s) are online (163 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
 Register To Post

383tpimachine Smart Struts worth it?
Master Guru
Corpus Christi
976 Posts

http://www.vbandp.com/C4-Corvettes/Su ... ruts-Racing-Rod-Ends.html

I know Cunningham is running these but are they worth it? My front ball joint are shot and need to be replaced. Should I bite the bullet and upgrade or just get some stock replacements?
Posted on: 2010/8/25 21:09

BillH Re: Smart Struts worth it?
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Are you going to put the car on the track? A lot?
There's certainly nothing wrong with the upgrade but for the street or drags, there's not much benifit.
And are you going to put the bucks into the rear suspension?

If you're just street driving and/or canyon carving, the ball joints will be fine. But, it's your $$$$ and always your decision.
Posted on: 2010/8/25 21:40

383tpimachine Re: Smart Struts worth it?
Master Guru
Corpus Christi
976 Posts

I have the 3 piece banski kit already for the rear.

I am competetive in autox and hope to start road racing this time next year.

So Ill take that as a Yes its worth it. thanks bill

Next is better fiberglass springs and new shocks.
Posted on: 2010/8/25 21:43

BrianCunningham Re: Smart Struts worth it?
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

yes they are
Posted on: 2010/8/26 1:17
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

CentralCoaster Re: Smart Struts worth it?
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

I opted for the Banski rod end setup out of sheer disgust with the stock bushing setup and how much worse it became with poly bushings. As for the track, can't hurt. I think I only have one track day on them, and experience played a bigger factor in improving lap times. They do ride better on the road though, one of the few mods that can improve it on the track and street.

You need quality rod ends and a way to keep them clean and free of corrosion. I'll probably try the rubber boots and maybe a little grease even.
Posted on: 2010/8/26 3:02

Aboatguy Re: Smart Struts worth it?
Senior Guru
My Avatar was redistributed!
498 Posts

I have banski rod ends on my Daily driver and I know that they help on the street.. They are a huge improvent over POLYbushings

Mike
Posted on: 2010/8/26 3:30

Master Guru
Corpus Christi
976 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
I opted for the Banski rod end setup out of sheer disgust with the stock bushing setup and how much worse it became with poly bushings. As for the track, can't hurt. I think I only have one track day on them, and experience played a bigger factor in improving lap times. They do ride better on the road though, one of the few mods that can improve it on the track and street.

You need quality rod ends and a way to keep them clean and free of corrosion. I'll probably try the rubber boots and maybe a little grease even.

Banski makes them for the front end? Didnt know this. Will have to check them out.
Posted on: 2010/8/26 4:01

CentralCoaster Re: Smart Struts worth it?
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Sorry I thought I saw rears on the link. Banski is working on a front kit, but I really don't have issue with poly up there except for the sway bar links. I would just put new balljoints on.
Posted on: 2010/8/26 18:31

Senior Guru
498 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
Sorry I thought I saw rears on the link. Banski is working on a front kit, but I really don't have issue with poly up there except for the sway bar links. I would just put new balljoints on.

Same here ....link showed rear components....thought read Bill's comment's on rear and posted.

Tom has mentioned he's getting close on the front end kit. If its out before I need my next set of tires, I'll probably buy the front kit and install it when I need tires (so I can knock out the alignment in one swoop vice alignment for new tires and then for suspension modification).

Mike
Posted on: 2010/8/26 18:38

astock165 Re: Smart Struts worth it?
Registered Vendor
Manchester NH
199 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
Sorry I thought I saw rears on the link. Banski is working on a front kit, but I really don't have issue with poly up there except for the sway bar links.

I thought that poly wouldn't make a big difference in the front either but I was quite surprised. After installing the prototype Delrin lined bushings (both upper and lower control arms) and the adjustable UCA spindle I was amazed at how much better it felt, even on the lift.

Like in the rear, with the poly bushings installed (and no spring in place) when the spindle was lifted to full bump it wouldn't fall back down under its own wieght due to the binding. I installed the prototypes up front and the only force you had to exert to lift the spindle was the wieght of the components. Let it go and it falls down freely under its own wieght.

Quote:

Aboatguy wrote:
Tom has mentioned he's getting close on the front end kit.

We are close. I've been very happy with the performance so far although it's been hard to quantify as reliability issues with my car's power steering have made it hard to get officially timed laps because I'm in the garage. I'm hoping to get out to Watkins Glen in Sept, back to NHMS in Oct and down to NJMP in Nov to complete the reliability testing and then tear it all down for inspection. I'm hoping to have news of a release by The Holidays.
Posted on: 2010/8/27 1:45
www.banskimotorsports.com

Master Guru
Corpus Christi
976 Posts

I like banski. I will go with yours if they are out. Mine arent to bad but showing wear. Once i start feeling the effects I will look for whoever has one out.
Posted on: 2010/8/27 4:03

bogus Re: Smart Struts worth it?
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I did the tech article for Corvette Enthusiast Mag regarding the Banski kit.

It is seriously cool!!!
Posted on: 2010/8/29 8:21

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Senior Guru
498 Posts

Quote:

astock165 wrote:
Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
Sorry I thought I saw rears on the link. Banski is working on a front kit, but I really don't have issue with poly up there except for the sway bar links.

I thought that poly wouldn't make a big difference in the front either but I was quite surprised. After installing the prototype Delrin lined bushings (both upper and lower control arms) and the adjustable UCA spindle I was amazed at how much better it felt, even on the lift.

Like in the rear, with the poly bushings installed (and no spring in place) when the spindle was lifted to full bump it wouldn't fall back down under its own wieght due to the binding. I installed the prototypes up front and the only force you had to exert to lift the spindle was the wieght of the components. Let it go and it falls down freely under its own wieght.

Quote:

Aboatguy wrote:
Tom has mentioned he's getting close on the front end kit.

We are close. I've been very happy with the performance so far although it's been hard to quantify as reliability issues with my car's power steering have made it hard to get officially timed laps because I'm in the garage. I'm hoping to get out to Watkins Glen in Sept, back to NHMS in Oct and down to NJMP in Nov to complete the reliability testing and then tear it all down for inspection. I'm hoping to have news of a release by The Holidays.

Tom,
If the front kit makes as much of a difference in ride quality as your trailing arms did on the rear...I'm in if the pricing is right....
Are you getting close on pricing?

Mike
Posted on: 2010/8/29 17:08

astock165 Re: Smart Struts worth it?
Registered Vendor
Manchester NH
199 Posts

Quote:

Aboatguy wrote:
Are you getting close on pricing?

Not yet. I plan on tweaking the design a bit to ensure further robustness and then need to go through a design review to see if we can simplify manufacturing. After that it's out to quote.

I hope to have pricing established in November. Come to think of it, that's really not that far away is it?
Posted on: 2010/8/30 1:55
www.banskimotorsports.com

Jeffvette Re: Smart Struts worth it?
Elite Guru
Not on CF
1297 Posts

Quote:

astock165 wrote:

I hope to have pricing established in November. Come to think of it, that's really not that far away is it?

Update on the front bushings?

Any fall sales on the rear gear as well?
Posted on: 2010/10/14 17:30

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.