Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
249 user(s) are online (196 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Mouse Motor
GM production small block engines were known as Mouse motors.

Early SBC

4.3L 265ci - 1955 thru 1956
4.6L 283ci - 1957 thru 1962
4.9L 302ci - ...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

iCorvette does lowering any amount and nothing else make for a better handling Vette?
Senior Guru
302 Posts

Or does the lowering cause weird geometry changes resulting in inferior handling.

not to mention giving up the beautiful ground clearance...
Posted on: 2010/11/14 22:23

BillH Re: does lowering any amount and nothing else make for a better handling Vette?
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

While a lower Center of Gravity does make for better handling, it also changes the geometry some. Depends on how much lower. And yea, ground clearance comes in there especially for the street.

Lowering the car will affect the alignment too since a C4 has bump steer built into the geometry with the dimensions where the suspension attaches.

And if you lower the car, it's wise to put on stiffer springs (ground clearance) and match some good shocks to them.

C5's are almost worse, if you lower it too far, the handling really goes to hell.
Posted on: 2010/11/14 22:33

iCorvette Re: does lowering any amount and nothing else make for a better handling Vette?
Senior Guru
302 Posts

what is bump steer?

contrary to what some of my frienemies say, I kind of like the wide gap between the tires and the fender lip of the C4's.

In my future? suspension upgrade, hence my asking, and since the suspension will be apart, the question to lower or not to lower comes to mind.

If the effort to lower does not yield a better handling machine, forget about it. and I if will scrape stuff then really forget about it.

I already have 32mm fronts and 26mm rears with polys, the car does not pitch or lean... and for legal speeds it's is fine, but I have the Corvette sickness like everyone else.

at most it would be 1/2 inch to a 1 inch drop.
Posted on: 2010/11/14 23:03

bogus Re: does lowering any amount and nothing else make for a better handling Vette?
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

bump steer... when the suspension is in compression, how does it effect the alignment?

Will the tire toe-in or -out when the suspension is compressed.

I don't like lowering for street use, at least not on the Vette. It is already pretty low... and remember, contact patch! It is so very important to remember that if the suspension is too stiff, what does it do when it hits a rough patch? It skitters... and then you lose traction. Do I need to elaborate more?
Posted on: 2010/11/14 23:19

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

BillH Re: does lowering any amount and nothing else make for a better handling Vette?
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Bump is when the suspension moves up, i.e. when you go into a left hand corner, the right side suspension moves up (and compresses the shock). Droop is when the suspension moves down.

Bump steer is the change in toe-in from static ride height. This happens because of the difference in the arcs that the upper & lower a-arms and the tie rods go thru. Since the a-arms and tie rods are different lengths and don't have symmetrical attachment points, they travel thru different arcs, this usually causes more toe-in in bump.

It depends on the suspension design but usually you see more bump steer (toe-in) as you get higher & higher in the arc. Like you may see .050 from 0 (static ride height) to 1 inch of bump and quite a bit more from 1 inch bump to 2 inches.
So, lowering the car may cause a bit more bump steer, again depends on the design.
The only way to really know is to do the measurements and that is a lot of work.
You may want to ask Jon (Spectator Racing) how much his car is lowered.

Also, DRM (Doug Rippie) makes brackets for the rear that keep the bump steer to a minium.
Posted on: 2010/11/14 23:35

bogus Re: does lowering any amount and nothing else make for a better handling Vette?
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

several years ago, the last generation Honda Prelude offered a package called "SH" for Superior Handling.

The option included an eletronically controlled active differential. It used a yaw sensor to direct power to the inside tire in a turn to help overcome the inherent push of a FWD car.

The problem? To use it required you to really dive into a corner... after a few laps, the setup would then throw a code! Oh, good.

One other feature of the option was an articulated lower control arm. This extra leverage did wonders for bump steer and other nasties that effect tire contact patch in corners.
Posted on: 2010/11/15 2:17

cuisinartvette Re: does lowering any amount and nothing else make for a better handling Vette?
Elite Guru
1782 Posts

Id leave it at stock height and enjoy the car
Posted on: 2010/11/15 2:39

Dale1990 Re: does lowering any amount and nothing else make for a better handling Vette?
Senior Guru
Conway, AR
128 Posts

I lowered my 90 with longer bolts in the rear and trimming of the front rubber mounting pads with wedges. I wish I hadn't. The ride quality suffered, I have problems with speed bumps and the handling on poor roads is significantly worse. Some of that is probably from the poly bushings I also installed, though.

If I were to do it over again I would have just found a matched set of springs, sway bars and shocks and called it a day.
Posted on: 2010/11/15 14:03

biggrizzly Re: does lowering any amount and nothing else make for a better handling Vette?
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

How about lowering with coilovers and QA1s? Any bad side effects? I was considering doing the poly-bushing kit and lowering, but now you have me thinking about that.
Posted on: 2010/11/15 14:09

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

biggrizzly wrote:
How about lowering with coilovers and QA1s? Any bad side effects? I was considering doing the poly-bushing kit and lowering, but now you have me thinking about that.

Don, the coilovers won't change the geometry at all but, they will let you set the ride height where you want it.
And you can get progressive rate springs that will be softer on the street bumps and stiffer on the Autox yurns.

Also, the individual adjustment will let you take out the left side sag that many C4's have.

And, if you get serious about autox/track, you can lower the car for the events and return it to "street height" fairly easily, probably just by jacking up each corner ( I don't think you'd even have to pull the wheels). But you should have a second set of wheels with autox tires anyway.

And the QA1's give you the rebound adjustment on the shocks too.

But, I'd still add the DRM rear bracket.

No, no bad side affects at all.
Posted on: 2010/11/15 14:36

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I don't like rear bushings... There is an inherent preload designed into the rubber bushes. Install unforgiving poly, and you really preload the links.

I have the Banski Kit; did an install story for Corvette Enthuasist. I did the install just over a year ago and it is working brilliantly. I love the ride quality, I love the immediate response. Just awesome! It is more expensive, but it is the best way to fly. Check with Banski and see if they have a GP going on somewhere.
Posted on: 2010/11/15 17:30

iCorvette Re: does lowering any amount and nothing else make for a better handling Vette?
Senior Guru
302 Posts

Quote:

Dale1990 wrote:
I lowered my 90 with longer bolts in the rear and trimming of the front rubber mounting pads with wedges. I wish I hadn't. The ride quality suffered, I have problems with speed bumps and the handling on poor roads is significantly worse. Some of that is probably from the poly bushings I also installed, though.

If I were to do it over again I would have just found a matched set of springs, sway bars and shocks and called it a day.

I decided not to lower, I like the looks both ways lowered and not, so that's not the concern.

as far as the polys, you are saying keep the rubber ones, or skip straight to this? but never polys correct?

VBP is having a major sale

http://www.vbandp.com/C4-Corvettes/Su ... -Combo-w/Racing-ends.html

how is just doing the rears and leaving the front's alone, or is going with the Delrin banski fronts and leaving the rears alone better?
Posted on: 2010/11/15 20:36

Steve40th Re: does lowering any amount and nothing else make for a better handling Vette?
Elite Guru
1114 Posts

You will scrape more once you get past 1 inch lowering. But it all depends on your roads, driveway etc etc. C4's seemed to get higher and higher throughout the years, just look at an 84 next to an 96.
The only way to truly tell if lowering does any harm or good is to run your car on a timed course. Then lower it, using the same alignment specs as before and see if the car handles better. I dont think it will make any major differences. But, the C4 Challenge cars were lowered, rather uniquely , so maybe it does help.

Attach file:

jpg  BAKER%204%20CAR%20018.jpg (276.40 KB)
236_4ce19b5979fc5.jpg 1024X768 px

jpg  BAKER%204%20CAR%20005.jpg (317.92 KB)
236_4ce19b6c3af4b.jpg 1024X768 px
Posted on: 2010/11/15 20:38

CentralCoaster Re: does lowering any amount and nothing else make for a better handling Vette?
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

FWIW I've found it to be about impossible to keep the lowering pads glued in place up front. When I have some free time, I'll give it a 3rd (or 4th?) try at regluing them.

Dale, lowering on its own should not effect ride quality as long as it's not bottoming out. I would suspect your stock rubber bushings have turned to rocks. This will really stiffen up the suspension. Also if the front wedges and shims aren't setup right the spring can contact the frame.

I'm not sure if the lower CG counteracts whatever worse suspension angles it causes, but I doubt a single person on this forum is a talented enough driver to tell the difference.
Posted on: 2010/11/15 20:40

Steve40th Re: does lowering any amount and nothing else make for a better handling Vette?
Elite Guru
1114 Posts

CC, I agree with the bushings being old and hard. When I put poly bushings in and ball joints, the ride became much better. And I lowered 2 inches.
Posted on: 2010/11/15 20:45

CentralCoaster Re: does lowering any amount and nothing else make for a better handling Vette?
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

I don't understand why anyone would bother with coilovers in back. The only benefit I see is ability to run progressive rate springs. Yet most aftermarket coilovers I've seen don't have that.

The rear spring is a pure cantilever setup, so there isn't any binding like the front one.

Another thing to keep in mind is when going coilover in front you're losing the front springs anti-sway ability, which according to GM engineers makes up something like 25% of the total anti-sway. I think a sway bar with adjustable end lengths would be bitchin on these cars.
Posted on: 2010/11/15 20:45

Senior Guru
302 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
I don't understand why anyone would bother with coilovers in back. The only benefit I see is ability to run progressive rate springs. Yet most aftermarket coilovers I've seen don't have that.

The rear spring is a pure cantilever setup, so there isn't any binding like the front one.

Another thing to keep in mind is when going coilover in front you're losing the front springs anti-sway ability, which according to GM engineers makes up something like 25% of the total anti-sway. I think a sway bar with adjustable end lengths would be bitchin on these cars.

To this day GM believes in leaf springs, they are still in the ZR1 correct, so how bad can that be, that car is awesome.

there is alot going for that design...
Posted on: 2010/11/16 1:35

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

To this day GM believes in leaf springs, they are still in the ZR1 correct, so how bad can that be, that car is awesome.

there is alot going for that design...

There's nothing wrong with the leafs.

But the coilovers are much easier to work with if you're going to compete.

Note that the Z06X at SEMA had coilovers and the C6Rs.
Posted on: 2010/11/16 1:45

Dale1990 Re: does lowering any amount and nothing else make for a better handling Vette?
Senior Guru
Conway, AR
128 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:

Dale, lowering on its own should not effect ride quality as long as it's not bottoming out. I would suspect your stock rubber bushings have turned to rocks. This will really stiffen up the suspension. Also if the front wedges and shims aren't setup right the spring can contact the frame.

I don't want to hijack but...

The front and rear control arm bushings on my car are poly - I used the whole kit from Energy Suspension sans the steering rack bushing. Sway bar bushings and endlinks are still OE rubber circa '90. I'm contemplating getting NOS replacement arms from Corvette Recycling for the front and going Banski for the rear. Shocks are new Bilsteins, too. I flat out do not like the way the car handles right now.

I haven't stuck my head under the car to check out the wedges lately but I wouldn't be shocked if they became unglued, too.
Posted on: 2010/11/16 4:53

Senior Guru
302 Posts

Quote:

Dale1990 wrote:
Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:

I don't want to hijack but...

The front and rear control arm bushings on my car are poly - I used the whole kit from Energy Suspension sans the steering rack bushing. Sway bar bushings and endlinks are still OE rubber circa '90. I'm contemplating getting NOS replacement arms from Corvette Recycling for the front and going Banski for the rear. Shocks are new Bilsteins, too. I flat out do not like the way the car handles right now.

I haven't stuck my head under the car to check out the wedges lately but I wouldn't be shocked if they became unglued, too.

sounds like what was done to the care is classic and basic, handling oriented mods, elaborate on the "flat out don't like it",

does it swerve? bottom? hop? skip? jump? dive? skid? push? tail happy? stiff? soft? twitchy? creak? rattle? squeak? moan? groan? slide? jar?

fwiw, I have VBP 32mm front bars with poly and rear 26mm with poly and this transformed the car.

I am surprised you went the other way first, everything but the bars...
Posted on: 2010/11/16 5:51

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

BTW dale, even the steering rack poly bushing from Energy fucked me.

The inner sleeve wasn't long enough so when I tightened the bolt down, it just clamped down on the poly. Of course over time the poly compressed a little, so it loosened up and moved with whatever slop was there between the bolt and sleeve. This made for about a few inches of play right in the center of the wheel... completely annoying.

So I'm left to either pull the rack out again to shave the bushing or rack, or else just keep tightening it every 8 months until the bushing compresses enough to actually allow the bolt to clamp onto the metal sleeve like god intended.

*Sigh*
Posted on: 2010/11/16 8:04

Senior Guru
Conway, AR
128 Posts

Quote:

iCorvette wrote:

sounds like what was done to the care is classic and basic, handling oriented mods, elaborate on the "flat out don't like it",

does it swerve? bottom? hop? skip? jump? dive? skid? push? tail happy? stiff? soft? twitchy? creak? rattle? squeak? moan? groan? slide? jar?

fwiw, I have VBP 32mm front bars with poly and rear 26mm with poly and this transformed the car.

There's quite a few things that I don't like about it. The only car I have to compare it to is an 86 w/ Z51, aftermarket shocks (can't remember the brand) and less than 60k miles. By comparison, the 90 feels very loose and seems to wallow - not unexpected for 180k miles I suppose. It doesn't respond well at all to bumps. The body seems to jump up too far (like it overreacts) then drop back quickly and settle almost immediately - very disconcerting. I could provide a better comparison when I get the 86 back on the road this weekend, hopefully. The poly squeaks but it isn't bad enough to bother me over the rest of the rattles, creaks and buzzes in the car (exhaust is rubbing on the x-brace).

As to the order of mods, I had a diff seal start leaking and it dissolved the rear bushings. Since I also had a ujoint on its way out at the same time I decided to just get the kit and do the whole rear end. When I did the lowering (purely for aesthetics) it was only a few more bolts to get to the front bushings and I already had the shop press.

This isn't really at the top of my fix-it list so I am not planning on working on it anytime soon.
Posted on: 2010/11/16 14:02

cuisinartvette Re: does lowering any amount and nothing else make for a better handling Vette?
Elite Guru
1782 Posts

Dale my 90 used to do the same porpoising you described, it was the shocks. Night and day diff.
They appeared Ok but in reality were shot to hell.
Posted on: 2010/11/16 18:17

Senior Guru
Conway, AR
128 Posts

Quote:

cuisinartvette wrote:
Dale my 90 used to do the same porpoising you described, it was the shocks. Night and day diff.
They appeared Ok but in reality were shot to hell.

I replaced these either last year or the year before if I recall. New Bilstein sport shocks. They have maybe 10k on them by now but he ride has not changed noticeably.
Posted on: 2010/11/16 18:39

Senior Guru
302 Posts

Quote:

Dale1990 wrote:
Quote:

iCorvette wrote:

There's quite a few things that I don't like about it. The only car I have to compare it to is an 86 w/ Z51, aftermarket shocks (can't remember the brand) and less than 60k miles. By comparison, the 90 feels very loose and seems to wallow - not unexpected for 180k miles I suppose. It doesn't respond well at all to bumps. The body seems to jump up too far (like it overreacts) then drop back quickly and settle almost immediately - very disconcerting. I could provide a better comparison when I get the 86 back on the road this weekend, hopefully. The poly squeaks but it isn't bad enough to bother me over the rest of the rattles, creaks and buzzes in the car (exhaust is rubbing on the x-brace).

As to the order of mods, I had a diff seal start leaking and it dissolved the rear bushings. Since I also had a ujoint on its way out at the same time I decided to just get the kit and do the whole rear end. When I did the lowering (purely for aesthetics) it was only a few more bolts to get to the front bushings and I already had the shop press.

This isn't really at the top of my fix-it list so I am not planning on working on it anytime soon.

I understand the "while your in there" doing other stuff, "you might as well" go for the polys since it's "only" $180 bucks,

mine squeaks like hell, and they are only on the bars
that's another thing to consider.otoh some people boast how instantaneous the reaction to driver input is with polys and that overriding sensation negates all "minor" problem associated with the polys.
Posted on: 2010/11/16 18:59

Senior Guru
302 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
BTW dale, even the steering rack poly bushing from Energy fucked me.

The inner sleeve wasn't long enough so when I tightened the bolt down, it just clamped down on the poly. Of course over time the poly compressed a little, so it loosened up and moved with whatever slop was there between the bolt and sleeve. This made for about a few inches of play right in the center of the wheel... completely annoying.

So I'm left to either pull the rack out again to shave the bushing or rack, or else just keep tightening it every 8 months until the bushing compresses enough to actually allow the bolt to clamp onto the metal sleeve like god intended.

*Sigh*

good to know first hand; the broad statement that these things work is simply too general, It's like sleeping on a massive wet spot all night; cold and clammy.

something that is performance and suppose to make your handling better makes it worse, is downright a crime.

perhaps Prothane or VBP did more R and D with their products, what did ES have to say about your damages?
Posted on: 2010/11/16 19:04

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

After a few phone transfers I was able to get in touch with someone in the engineering department regarding the sleeves being too short. I explained to him my concerns and he agreed that yes, the bolt needs to clamp the inner sleeve in place for the bushing to work as intended. He offered to send me a new set of sleeves.

Then I asked him how new sleeves would make any difference if they're coming off the same assembly line as the ones I already had installed. He didn't have an answer for that.

Basically unless they're willing to get a Corvette in their hands and retool the parts properly, it'll never fit right IMO. Or maybe it's GM that's tolerances are way off on production. Who knows. Either way it's not something that's high on anyone's to-do list at Energy Suspension. And unfortunately many customers installing them have no idea how the bushing is supposed to work and don't question it.
Posted on: 2010/11/17 6:24

Elite Guru
1114 Posts

Posted in wrong thread, oops
Posted on: 2010/11/17 6:36

Senior Guru
302 Posts

seems to me to have that kind of product, like Haynes repair manual co. they would have a car to take apart and take specs off of and offer a product that works. instead of just saying it works and cast it in some cute color to seduce the public, oh well, no steering bushings for me.
Posted on: 2010/11/17 9:23

SpectatorRacing Re: does lowering any amount and nothing else make for a better handling Vette?
Elite Guru
1721 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:

You may want to ask Jon (Spectator Racing) how much his car is lowered.

Sorry I'm late, I just got back from Japan and missed this thread. You guys covered most of it, but I can at least address Bill's question.

The car is fairly low, but I have an extremely stiff suspension set-up to counteract it. It's aligned statically (obviously) and the stiff springs prevent ~85% of the roll. I'd have to check, but off the top of my head I think they're 450 lb front and 300 lb rear. (which does not translate well to a leaf spring rating...) I don't have any ride height measurements from when it was stock, but I can go measure the car as it sits if anyone needs the information.

I would NOT recommend this set up on the street. I used to street drive my car with these spring rates. Once I hit a bump and snapped the rear suspension knuckle shock mount...

Here is a shot of how little roll there is. These ere taken in the same corner, inside and outside shot. This is a fairly slow corner, but on camber so I'd guess about 1.2 g's. There is probably less than an inch of ride height change overall.

Attach file:

jpg  Turn 2.JPG (0.00 KB)

Posted on: 2010/11/17 19:01

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

SpectatorRacing wrote:
I'd have to check, but off the top of my head I think they're 450 lb front and 300 lb rear. (which does not translate well to a leaf spring rating...)

Thought I saw 650 suggested for autox on a set somewhere on a web site.

Interesting, I'm running 350 front and 400 rear.....on a 950 lb car.
Posted on: 2010/11/17 22:22

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Here's a lowered Z51 with poly bushings at maybe .9 something G's on street tires. It can't be much because there's an instructor in my passenger seat. These cars just don't lean much.

Resized Image
Posted on: 2010/11/17 22:44

SpectatorRacing Re: does lowering any amount and nothing else make for a better handling Vette?
Elite Guru
1721 Posts

Nice ass
Posted on: 2010/11/17 22:56

Elite Guru
1721 Posts

Here's an old one I found with some lean. It also shows off my sweet rattle can paintjob after the fire.

Attach file:

jpg  C4 roll.JPG (0.00 KB)

Posted on: 2010/11/17 23:00

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

SpectatorRacing wrote:
Here's an old one I found with some lean. It also shows off my sweet rattle can paintjob after the fire.

Looks better without thet rookie plate.
Posted on: 2010/11/17 23:02

Elite Guru
1114 Posts

ZO7 suspension with poly bushings, camber bar (LOL), S/T Frame, BFG KD'S, and large ZO7 sway bars about 35 mph. Also, lowered 2 inches

Attach file:

jpg  SCCA 12509.jpg (117.13 KB)
236_4ce49b76b9a42.jpg 1000X669 px
Posted on: 2010/11/18 3:21

Elite Guru
1114 Posts

Nissan GTR in same spot.

Attach file:

jpg  NissanGTR.jpg (104.73 KB)
236_4ce49c0c8ea97.jpg 1000X669 px
Posted on: 2010/11/18 3:22

Elite Guru
1721 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:

I drove that rookie plate for years. People gave me more room if they thought I would lose it and hit them when they tried to pass

Plus, I was pretty proud of my orange spraypaint job!
Posted on: 2010/11/18 16:38

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

SpectatorRacing wrote:
Quote:

BillH wrote:

I drove that rookie plate for years. People gave me more room if they thought I would lose it and hit them when they tried to pass

Yea, coming up on one of them does make you say "Ah Crap".
Posted on: 2010/11/18 16:46

93Moneypit Re: does lowering any amount and nothing else make for a better handling Vette?
Guru Newb
Santa Cruz Ca
38 Posts

I lowered my 93 about 1 inch sanded down the front rubbers and cut the same amount off the aluminum blocks with the longer bolts in the rear.
It handles about the same as stock but it looks a hell of a lot better but I'm also using all stock suspension parts + fx3 select a ride shocks.
I do have to pay attention to steep driveway's and speed bumps or ill drag my glass packs and those dam cement wheel stops they hit my front skid plate.
I'm glad i only dropped it 1 inch.
Posted on: 2010/11/19 11:10

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.