Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
121 user(s) are online (77 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  1983
The year with no Corvette production. There is only one surviving 1983 Corvette. The one 1983 Corvette is in the National Corvette Museum, (NCM), in ...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

Matatk Monday Chat 02.21.11
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22804 Posts

Good Morning CGs!

Back to reality folks. Guess we'll all be going to work except for Brad, who is apparently sleeping in right now. Don't worry, Brad, the snow will wait for you. It is very patient

My insurance policy is set to renew in a couple weeks. I've always heard it's a good idea to shop around for prices and it can save you a lot. So last night I went on progressive.com to get a rate. I don't know how good/bad their insurance is, but a lot of people seem to have them. Their quote was a solid $200/6 months cheaper than my current insurance that I've had for 7 years. Go figure. That's a good chunk of change, also considering I have a few houses and cars on my original policy I didn't include with progressive. I'd rather stay with my current agent, so I'm gonna stop by there tonight on the way home and show them my printout. Hopefully they will be willing to make some changes...or lose a customer for $400 a year.

Anyone else ever do that?

Hope everyone has a great day!

Matthew
Posted on: 2011/2/21 12:34

biggrizzly Re: Monday Chat 02.21.11
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

Good Morning All... I'm off today one more day along with Brad. No snow here yet but the weatherman is talking that crap again. I hope this round is the last we will see of the white stuff for the winter.

Matt - I tried a similar approach a while ago and took them a quote I received online from one of the online clearing houses. My agent gave me a lot words about how the online quotes are not what I would actually be paying and that the prices quoted were not very accurate. He also stated that my insurance premiums were as low as I could go with my good driving record, no claim record, and good credit score. I also get the discount for multiple cars and home owners insurance as well. He did drop the premium a little bit but overall not as much as if I would have taken up with one of the other companies. I would have had to change the rest of my insurances to get a better rate as well and I didn't want to mess with my homeowners insurance which can be difficult and expensive to buy living less than 2,500 feet from the Chesapeake Bay. Many companies won't even grant a policy for homeowners along the waterfront areas even though I'm 80ft above sea level.

I hope he helps you out. Let us know how it goes.
Posted on: 2011/2/21 13:01
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

flyboy Re: Monday Chat 02.21.11
Elite Guru
Westmont, Il.
2632 Posts

The gas company's been diddling around across the street at the bank on and off for days now with their friggen portable generator running all night. Now they're digging a hole. I went over and talked to them. I don't think they know what the problem is. Hope the place doesn't explode.
Posted on: 2011/2/21 13:11

Ultraman Re: Monday Chat 02.21.11
2015 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Huskerland
14742 Posts

Good morning! Nice and sunny and freezing here today. I spent most of yesterday working in the shop on my car. I got the tunnel insulated and was impressed with how well the stuff worked. It has the adhesive on the back. I will post pics when I get the car in the air.

Matt I did the same thing with my insurance guy. My over the internet quote was cheaper by several hundreds of dollars so I took the quote to him. I have everything with this guy, home, business and business vehicles, personal cars, everything. I did some bitching and he did some tweaking and we got it closer. Later I got to thinking about the multiple claims we have had over the years, mostly my kids getting into fender benders as they grew up. Then there was the time I put my work pickup on its side in the ditch and when Miss California ran into the back of someone out on the 480 in LA. Those claims were all handled quickly with no questions asked and done by good bodyshops using good replacement parts. My rates did go up on the teen drivers after their mishaps but not that bad.

Sometimes it's worth a little more to have that peice of mind and know that all I have to do is go down to his office and pound on his desk if I have to. That's worth something, at least to me.

Got work to do and stuff to sell so I best be about it. We will be using attack mode delta this week Guru's, so let's get it done.
Posted on: 2011/2/21 14:17

Vote DeSantis in 2024.... Make the IRS go away...

pianoguy Re: Monday Chat 02.21.11
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Greetings! I finally hauled my ass out of bed - Matt was right, the snow is still there! At least it seems to have stopped falling for the time being. Sounds like we got around 15". The plow still hasn't come by, and a car and an SUV that were stuck at the bottom of our hill just got towed out. Any recent thoughts of bringing the Vette home soon have evaporated.

I've been with the same Allstate agent for close to 20 years, and have gotten stellar service. They're the biggest insurer in the state, and I originally switched to them because they had lower rates. We just got a letter from a new agent who has inherited our account (I don't know if the other guy retired or what), so maybe I'll check around.

Gas mojo, Joe!

Have a good day, yawlz!
Posted on: 2011/2/21 14:30

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

BillH Re: Monday Chat 02.21.11
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

biggrizzly wrote:
even though I'm 80ft above sea level.

Gee, Don, that's only 5,130 feet lower than my house.
Posted on: 2011/2/21 14:30

biggrizzly Re: Monday Chat 02.21.11
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:
Quote:

biggrizzly wrote:
even though I'm 80ft above sea level.

Gee, Don, that's only 5,130 feet lower than my house.

LOL... I knew you would get a kick out ot that!!
I'm at one of the highest spots around. Probably lots of others that live on the cliffs down the road, but they would be lucky to get insurance from fear of falling off into the bay.
Posted on: 2011/2/21 14:44

BillH Re: Monday Chat 02.21.11
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

biggrizzly wrote:
I'm at one of the highest spots around.

Heck, I'm only in the "foothills", it goes up from here but you know that from your high altitude bicycling.
Posted on: 2011/2/21 15:00

teebee Re: Monday Chat 02.21.11
2014 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Lakin, Kansas 67860
12367 Posts

Morning guys...Insurance, what a can of worms. I've switched off and on over the years, but have been with Shelter for 10 or 11 years now. We have a local agent and good rates. I think that I pay about $200/6mo on the Corvette, full coverage $500 deductible. I'm not complaining.

It's much colder today, but they are projecting highs in the upper 40's to low 50's.

We are at 3000' here. I'm not worried about the oceans rising that much.
Posted on: 2011/2/21 15:18

One of Americas' proud Deplorable

Resized Image

Huskerland
14742 Posts

Ya Teebee need a little help over on the wisconsin tread. Teachers are getting beat up.
Posted on: 2011/2/21 16:19

pianoguy Re: Monday Chat 02.21.11
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

I, for one, am going to bravely soldier on:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20110221/ts_alt_afp/healthuscancer
Posted on: 2011/2/21 23:11

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

teebee Re: Monday Chat 02.21.11
2014 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Lakin, Kansas 67860
12367 Posts

Quote:

Ultraman wrote:
Ya Teebee need a little help over on the wisconsin tread. Teachers are getting beat up.

All right Marcus, I said my piece.
Posted on: 2011/2/22 2:15

One of Americas' proud Deplorable

Resized Image

Huskerland
14742 Posts

You did good!
Posted on: 2011/2/22 3:08

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.