Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
321 user(s) are online (272 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
 Register To Post

SpectatorRacing C4 Wilwood rear brake kit
Elite Guru
1721 Posts

I've had some interest on the rear brake kit I've installed on my car (posted in the spring projects thread) so I discussed the possibility of my fabricator making more kits for the C4 crew.

Here's what we came up with:

We constructed a kit using a Wilwood Superlite caliper and "off the shelf" wilwood rotors. My fabricator modified the caliper mounting bracket as shown below, and used an existing Wilwood hat with minor changes to fit the C4 hub.

They fit just fine under my 17" GS wheels...

Here's the rear brake package:

(2) Wilwood Superlite Forged calipers
(2) Caliper to -3 adapters
(2) Aeroquip SS brake lines
(2) Metric flare to -3 adapters
(2) Custom rotor hats
(2) Directional rotors, 12 3/16 x 1 1/4
(2) Rotor to Hat bolt kits
(2) Custom brake brackets, using customers' core bracket
(4) Caliper to bracket bolts

All yours for $1075 plus shipping.

For the same package minus the calipers, fittings and lines: $775 plus shipping.

The builder is CMP Fabrication in Waterford, MI. He's been building race cars for 20 years, but until I came along, mostly Ford...

Brake Pads are not included, but I'm working with a Hawk rep to get discounted HPS, HP+ or DTC60's. No pricing yet.

Replacement rotors are about $42.

Photo of the Caliper bracket on the car:

[IMG]http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c380/jcisler/Rearbrakebrackets.jpg[/IMG]

Here is the caliper bracket modified for the Superlites

[IMG]http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c380/jcisler/C4rearbrakebracket.jpg[/IMG]

Here is the kit, rotors, hats, brackets

[IMG]http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c380/jcisler/C4Rearbrakekit.jpg[/IMG]

Here's a comparison of the Powerslot stock replacement rotor I was using vs. the Wilwood

[IMG]http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c380/jcisler/IMG_1897.jpg[/IMG]

He could do a kit for any caliper, Wilwoods, C5 or C6 Z06, etc.

My set up does not have the parking brake, but for you guys who drive on the street I think there are options out there to keep this function.
Posted on: 2011/3/24 14:59

bogus Re: C4 Wilwood rear brake kit
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Wow. Sweet.

I never use my parking brake... so I don't care.

What kind of kits are available for the front? IT's been a while since I researched it.
Posted on: 2011/3/24 15:31

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

SpectatorRacing Re: C4 Wilwood rear brake kit
Elite Guru
1721 Posts

It's not an off the shelf "kit", we just made one for my car and I asked if he'd be willing to duplicate it. But I think I'm going to make it as such.

I've had lots of questions about the fronts, though, so we're taking measurements and will come up with something soon. The guys on CF seemed to like the Wilwood calipers, so we'll probably work something up with those.
Posted on: 2011/3/24 17:40

rklessdriver Re: C4 Wilwood rear brake kit
Senior Guru
Woodbridge, VA
1318 Posts

I know Wilwood already sells a bolt on kit for the C4 so you may not have to reinvent the wheel for the front.
Will
Posted on: 2011/3/24 18:00

1972 Corvette. LS5 454 BBC with M20 4 speed.
Best Pass - Doing good to just pass a gas station.

BrianCunningham Re: C4 Wilwood rear brake kit
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

If you want a kit that will sell well, Willwood makes a mechanical caliper,which could be used for a parking brake

Also a kit that would reuse the stock fronts in the rear would be good, though I think that's out there
Posted on: 2011/3/24 19:30

383tpimachine Re: C4 Wilwood rear brake kit
Master Guru
Corpus Christi
976 Posts

These are for the 87+ crowd I assume with the better offsets than my 85, correct?
Posted on: 2011/3/24 22:25

Elite Guru
1721 Posts

@ Will: Yes, it's $1700. We can beat that easily.

@ Brian: We could do that, but for the money an aftermarket caliper is much better than the stock PBR fronts for two reasons: performance and pad cost. The PBR pads are quite expensive as they have a complex backing plate. Wilwood pads are about 1/2 price. Maybe not as big a deal for a street car, but I go through several sets a year. However, it's still a good idea since lots of people will have the front calipers available if they do a front upgrade.

@ 383TPI: We used my car ('93) for the measurements, but my teammate has an '86. If there's interest it's all of one hour to check the offsets on the early cars. Price would be the same unless there's something really strange that changed.
Posted on: 2011/3/25 12:48

jonszr1 Re: C4 Wilwood rear brake kit
Senior Guru
Lone Pine, CA
453 Posts

i have brembos that callaway put on my 92 zr1 they are awsome ,but might be pricey for some
Posted on: 2011/3/26 4:20
i have a blast playing with my 4 babies 2 zr1s and 2 mustangs 68 coupe with a jon bennit 408 art car fully rollered c4 with a gearvendors over drive .88 mustang built by my kids with a ported lt5 and a bill boudreau blue printed zf 6 spd. with these 4 ...

88BlackZ51 Re: C4 Wilwood rear brake kit
Senior Guru
481 Posts

what would it cost for front and rear? and how would this compare to say C5 brakes, or C6Z brakes?
Posted on: 2011/4/16 10:58

bogus Re: C4 Wilwood rear brake kit
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quote:

88BlackZ51 wrote:
what would it cost for front and rear? and how would this compare to say C5 brakes, or C6Z brakes?

Crush them like a grape.

The best brakes on the vette are the current brembo sourced ZR1 brakes... the Z06 are good, but still PBR street parts.
Posted on: 2011/4/16 15:44

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Elite Guru
1721 Posts

Quote:

88BlackZ51 wrote:

The rear kit is ready to go (as shown above), we're designing the front kit with Wilwood 6 piston calipers now for me and another forum member. If you don't need them urgently (a few weeks) we can do a package deal...let me ask about pricing.

My guess is $2500? Maybe we set up a group buy if we get 5 people interested. I'm sure I can convince him to make 5 kits.
Posted on: 2011/4/17 1:05

88BlackZ51 Re: C4 Wilwood rear brake kit
Senior Guru
481 Posts

Quote:

SpectatorRacing wrote:
Quote:

88BlackZ51 wrote:

The rear kit is ready to go (as shown above), we're designing the front kit with Wilwood 6 piston calipers now for me and another forum member. If you don't need them urgently (a few weeks) we can do a package deal...let me ask about pricing.

My guess is $2500? Maybe we set up a group buy if we get 5 people interested. I'm sure I can convince him to make 5 kits.

i first need to get the 421 running close to perfect as can. i am not in a hurry for brakes, but keep the threads going. i have some C5 brakes in the garage, but not sure if i need to go one better.

i also like the sounds of 6 pistons. $2500 for front and back isnt bad at all. would that be a complete braking system with nothing else needed?
Posted on: 2011/4/17 13:08

jaa1992 Re: C4 Wilwood rear brake kit
Guru
Stone Mtn, GA (near Atlanta)
187 Posts

You will probably need a bigger master cylinder to get a good pedal feel.
I'm starting to save my pennies for the front/rear kit.
I need to find all the pieces to my c5 front kit and sell it.
Posted on: 2011/4/19 15:27

Elite Guru
1721 Posts

The kit includes everything except the master cylinder and the brake pads. All fittings, SS brake lines, bolts, etc are included for both front and rear.

We can suggest MC options depending on whether you have the full kit, just fronts, or just rears.

A fellow racer buddy is a Hawk representative (www.andrew-racing.com), he and I have talked about some discounts for volume purchases. Otherwise, I am going to price out the following options and include them as an option for folks who want a one stop shop:

HPS
HP+
DTC60

I think that about covers most of us.

My only concern is the size of the 6 piston calipers, we want these to fit under 17" rims since that what we all run. I ordered a set of the calipers to test fit on my car; further bulletins to come.

The rear kit is now up on my website, although we can't get the stupid paypal button to work yet...it works fine for our track event registrations. Grrr!

www.tracktherapy.com
Posted on: 2011/4/19 17:36

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.