Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
220 user(s) are online (50 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
 Register To Post

JeffK Tips or tricks for pulling engine?
Elite Guru
High Point, NC
1440 Posts

As I eagerly await Friday so that I can get my new engine in I figure that I would troll for some wisdom regarding pulling the engine. I've got the basics.

-Support trans under pan with wood and jackstand / loosen c-beam bolts

- remove front wheels / engine hoist goes in passenger side

- remove Bellhousing and torgue converter bolts

At this point it is basically a short block in the hole that will be coming out. A mostly complete engine minus exhaust, intake and accessories going in.

Any hints will be great appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeff
Posted on: 2011/5/25 11:01
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Matatk Re: Tips or tricks for pulling engine?
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22802 Posts

A trans jack can be helpful when you have to move the trans up/down for alignment. If no trans jack, and additional floor jack with a piece of plywood underneath.

The bellhousing has 6 bolts. Use a series of extensions and swivels.

Before you lift the motor out, make sure all wires are disconnected. So pull it about 2-3 inches, double check, pull a little more, triple check

Consider using a happy hooker or an engine leveler:

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-4-quar ... y-load-leveler-67441.html

Take about 300 pictures so you'll remember where everything goes.

Get a friend

Matthew
Posted on: 2011/5/25 11:33

WW7 Re: Tips or tricks for pulling engine?
Senior Guru
Almost Heaven WV
268 Posts

I would strongly suggest replacing the front seal on your transmission while you have access to it..These seals are easy to tap in and almost always leak after pulling and replacing the motor..Also if your putting headers on the motor, reverse the engine/motor mount bolts so the head of the bolts are to the front and the long part is facing the back, these bolts hit some of the headers if they aren't reversed.When putting my engine in I installed the intake before installing the motor, I think its easier to install the intake on the stand, then in the car.. If I think of anything else I will update my post...Good Luck..WW

PS: I just realized that you ask for advice on pulling the engine, but what I posted may help when you do the install and I may not be around then...
Posted on: 2011/5/25 11:39

Ultraman Re: Tips or tricks for pulling engine?
2015 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Huskerland
14723 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:

Get a friend

Matthew

Promise them lavish liquid refreshments and lots of cooked red meat, then make them earn it.......

Jeff tell me what you ended up doing for your new engine I think I got confused at the end of all you were considering doing.
Posted on: 2011/5/25 11:41

Vote DeSantis in 2024.... Make the IRS go away...

biggrizzly Re: Tips or tricks for pulling engine?
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

I might add to Matt's comment about the extension for the trans bolts. The top two are the one's you will need the extension. But when I say extension I mean a long one, I have a 24" and 10" put together. You can get away with shorter but longer will bring you back into the C-Beam tunnel and you will have nearly a straight shot at those bolts. You lose some torque with the long extensions but it really makes it happen.

Also, the transmission jack will make your life easy. Especially when trying to align it for re-installation. I did all of this by myself. Without the trans jack it would have been very difficult at the least.
Posted on: 2011/5/25 12:05

JeffK Re: Tips or tricks for pulling engine?
Elite Guru
High Point, NC
1440 Posts

I already got the friend locked it. Beer and steaks will be provided once the thing runs. Don't want drunken friend wrenching on new motor.

I thought about putting the intake on before setting.

Too late to try to get my hands on a happy hooker now. I'm pretty sure the hoist I'm borrowing has a leveler.

Front trans seal - My dad suggested that and Andy said not to mess with it if it's not leaking...confused.

Headers have been on the car for about a year so I know they fit but that is a good tip to know.

I do not have a trans jack but I have 4 jackstands and a floor jack, hopefully I can articulate everything well enough with what I have.

When I was removing all the small stuff went into bags and was labelled so hopefully there won't be any leftovers or long pauses of staring at a part trying to remember where it came from.
Posted on: 2011/5/25 13:18

Elite Guru
High Point, NC
1440 Posts

Quote:

WW7 wrote:
I would strongly suggest replacing the front seal on your transmission while you have access to it..These seals are easy to tap in and almost always leak after pulling and replacing the motor..Also if your putting headers on the motor, reverse the engine/motor mount bolts so the head of the bolts are to the front and the long part is facing the back, these bolts hit some of the headers if they aren't reversed.When putting my engine in I installed the intake before installing the motor, I think its easier to install the intake on the stand, then in the car.. If I think of anything else I will update my post...Good Luck..WW

PS: I just realized that you ask for advice on pulling the engine, but what I posted may help when you do the install and I may not be around then...

I appreciate the advice whether it's pulling it out or putting it in since it's all going to happen this weekend!
Posted on: 2011/5/25 13:20

Elite Guru
High Point, NC
1440 Posts

Quote:

Ultraman wrote:
Jeff tell me what you ended up doing for your new engine I think I got confused at the end of all you were considering doing.

I found a guy about an hour from me that buys wornout C4's and parts them out. He is a former dirt track racer from Jersey who used to also build engines for the other racers in order to fund his racing habit and to put both of his kids through college. He has a beautiful 86 with a 383 in it that he painted Atomic Orange.

He is building me a 355 out of a '91 block.
I'm re-using my freshly rebuilt 113 heads.
Going with the LT4 hotcam, LT4 valve springs, comp gold 1.6 rr's, SLP ported runners, 1010 head gaskets, double roller timing set.
Posted on: 2011/5/25 13:25

Elite Guru
High Point, NC
1440 Posts

Don, could I just remove the engine mounts and lower the entire engine/trans assembly to get the top bellhousing bolts from up top for removal? Might be different for install since heads will be on.
Posted on: 2011/5/25 13:30

4543 Posts

Quote:

JeffK wrote:
Don, could I just remove the engine mounts and lower the entire engine/trans assembly to get the top bellhousing bolts from up top for removal? Might be different for install since heads will be on.

I guess that would work. I tilted my motor back on the motor mounts to give me that clearance, but I still needed the long extension to be able to get a good grip on the nut with a socket and to have room to leverage the torque needed to break them free.

You might give it a try. The motor mounts have to come off anyway to install on the new motor.
Posted on: 2011/5/25 13:59

Aboatguy Re: Tips or tricks for pulling engine?
Senior Guru
My Avatar was redistributed!
498 Posts

Quote:

JeffK wrote:

Pulling motor mounts will not allow engine removal from the bottom. The cross member will still be in the way. You would have to remove front subframe....IMO much more work.

I can pull and reinstall the engine in my 95 in the same day. They are so easy to pull from the top that trying Fbody style would take more time.

Mike
Posted on: 2011/5/25 15:14

Senior Guru
498 Posts

This little piece is whats spoiling your drop the engine from below plan... However, it is removable.

[IMG]http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a342/aboatguy/engineisbackin.jpg[/IMG]

In my experience going out the top with as much of the still assembled is the way to go.

[IMG]http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a342/aboatguy/pullenginewhole2.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a342/aboatguy/pullenginewhole.jpg[/IMG]

If you have stock exhaust manifolds it is even easier since you don't have to finagle long tube header collectors past the fire wall.
Posted on: 2011/5/25 15:20

4543 Posts

He just wants to lower the engine enough to get to the top transmission / engine bolts. Not remove the engine out the bottom like an F-Body.
Posted on: 2011/5/25 16:29

Elite Guru
High Point, NC
1440 Posts

I can't imagine what a pain in the arse it would be to drop it out the bottom. I've done that on a Fiero but the whole rear drops out.

Looking at that pic of the happy hooker I'm not sure one of those would work on an L98 engine.

It would be nice to drop it in with headers and sparkplugs already on...

Can I use the accessory holes on the ends of the heads to attach the chain for the hoist or will that fubar those holes since the heads are aluminum?
Posted on: 2011/5/25 17:29

bogus Re: Tips or tricks for pulling engine?
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

The k-member comes out - that is what supports the motor and front suspension and that is how they built the car in the first place. Easy if you have a car lift.
Posted on: 2011/5/25 18:01

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Senior Guru
498 Posts

Quote:

biggrizzly wrote:
He just wants to lower the engine enough to get to the top transmission / engine bolts. Not remove the engine out the bottom like an F-Body.

Yes, pulling the mounts helps with clearance for the bellhousing bolts.. A swivel socket and 36" extension helps make bolt removal simple....
Posted on: 2011/5/26 0:43

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22802 Posts

Quote:

JeffK wrote:

Can I use the accessory holes on the ends of the heads to attach the chain for the hoist

Yes.
Posted on: 2011/5/26 2:09

Elite Guru
High Point, NC
1440 Posts

thanks guys
Posted on: 2011/5/26 16:45

Elite Guru
High Point, NC
1440 Posts

Getting my arse kicked by 2 bellhousing bolts on the drivers side. Tried using 1/2 drive sockets and extensions but I can't seem to get them to break loose.

I compressor and an air ratchet would make life so much easier at this point.
Posted on: 2011/5/28 11:59

1Fast04Vert Re: Tips or tricks for pulling engine?
Elite Guru
The hills of N. Georgia
2424 Posts

You can always get an electric impact and skip the compressor part.
Posted on: 2011/5/28 12:54

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22802 Posts

Try getting the socket/extension on there and tapping the end with a hammer a few times.

You can also try lifting the motor or trans slightly to vary the angle.

Matthew
Posted on: 2011/5/28 14:41

Jeffvette Re: Tips or tricks for pulling engine?
Elite Guru
Not on CF
1297 Posts

Quote:

JeffK wrote:
Getting my arse kicked by 2 bellhousing bolts on the drivers side. Tried using 1/2 drive sockets and extensions but I can't seem to get them to break loose.

I compressor and an air ratchet would make life so much easier at this point.

A breaker bar helps, or in a pinch 1/2" wrench with a floor jack handle slipped on it. Not sure what it is about those bolts, they seize up in there pretty good considering they do not require a lot of tq to tighten down.
Posted on: 2011/5/28 19:34

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.