Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
207 user(s) are online (176 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
 Register To Post

95Vert Fuel Sending Unit...used or new?
Senior Guru
Aiken, SC
440 Posts

My fuel gauge has been reading full. Car now has 193 miles on it since the last fill up. Gauge still at full. So I tried the fix of pulling the sending unit and cleaning the actuator and the wire assembly with Q tip and electrical contact cleaner. Still no joy after reassembly.

So, my question, these things are expensive new. $329 or so from the parts vendors, $200 used with a pump from Corvette Salvage. I haven't heard back yet from Vette2Vette.

Ecklers sells just the sending unit piece for $200 as does a company called Corvette Recycling. I'm leery of Ecklers as I've heard stories about them taking a long time to fulfill orders.

I'm leaning towards just the new sending unit and installing my pump on it. Shouldn't be too difficult I would think and the pump works as the car runs fine. Anyone familiar with Corvette Recycling if I go this route?

Ralf
Posted on: 2011/6/27 14:11
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

BillH Re: Fuel Sending Unit...used or new?
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Don't put someone else's problems in your car.

Run the whole tank thru ans see where the gauge starts to drop.

My gauge hangs on full for over 100 then drops rapidly to 1/2, but I could really care less. I never worry about running out since I fill up when there's still a 1/4 or more left.
Posted on: 2011/6/27 14:19

95Vert Re: Fuel Sending Unit...used or new?
Senior Guru
Aiken, SC
440 Posts

Hmm, good advice! I'll hold off to see what the gauge does nearing empty.

Ralf
Posted on: 2011/6/27 14:38

josephf31 Re: Fuel Sending Unit...used or new?
Senior Guru
New Jersey
375 Posts

Quote:

95Vert wrote:
My fuel gauge has been reading full. Car now has 193 miles on it since the last fill up. Gauge still at full. So I tried the fix of pulling the sending unit and cleaning the actuator and the wire assembly with Q tip and electrical contact cleaner. Still no joy after reassembly.

So, my question, these things are expensive new. $329 or so from the parts vendors, $200 used with a pump from Corvette Salvage. I haven't heard back yet from Vette2Vette.

Ecklers sells just the sending unit piece for $200 as does a company called Corvette Recycling. I'm leery of Ecklers as I've heard stories about them taking a long time to fulfill orders.

I'm leaning towards just the new sending unit and installing my pump on it. Shouldn't be too difficult I would think and the pump works as the car runs fine. Anyone familiar with Corvette Recycling if I go this route?

Ralf

I don't know about Corvette Recycling, but I have ordered from Ecklers more than a few times and never had a problem. Same with Vette2Vette.

Joe
Posted on: 2011/6/27 20:07

movnviolation Re: Fuel Sending Unit...used or new?
Guru Newb
Hesperia, Calif
188 Posts

Just recently replaced mine in my 89. Bought it from Corvette Recycler. new $199.99. 89-96.
They say they have them in stock. Sent mine right out.
I would also get a fuel pump and be done with it. I wish I would have thought of it and had one there when I did the job. Used the car the next day so had to put it together.
Mine acted the same way. Would not come off full. I deal with Ecklers a lot and no problems. Good luck!
Posted on: 2011/6/28 3:02

Senior Guru
Aiken, SC
440 Posts

I saw that unit at Corvette Recycling and it is supposed to be a NOS piece. That may be what I'll purchase. My pump seems to be working fine.
Posted on: 2011/6/28 13:33

KandBCorvette Re: Fuel Sending Unit...used or new?
Gold Sponsor Vendor
20 Posts

NEVER use a used fuel pump and sender. We sell new OEM senders complete with pump for less than the price of a sender without a pump.
Posted on: 2011/7/1 20:18

Matatk Re: Fuel Sending Unit...used or new?
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Quote:

kenanderson wrote:
NEVER use a used fuel pump and sender. We sell new OEM senders complete with pump for less than the price of a sender without a pump.

Which is how much?
Posted on: 2011/7/3 11:39

Senior Guru
Aiken, SC
440 Posts

Guess I'm curious as well. Ken Anderson replies to several postings speaking of his organization being able to supply services.

What is that reference or company name? It has not been mentioned in previous posts. Like Matt, I'm curious as to price because sender and pump are usually in the low $300 range.
Posted on: 2011/7/3 15:40

TommyT-Bone Re: Fuel Sending Unit...used or new?
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Quote:

95Vert wrote:
Guess I'm curious as well. Ken Anderson replies to several postings speaking of his organization being able to supply services.

What is that reference or company name? It has not been mentioned in previous posts. Like Matt, I'm curious as to price because sender and pump are usually in the low $300 range.

http://kandbcorvetteproducts.com
Posted on: 2011/7/3 16:54

bogus Re: Fuel Sending Unit...used or new?
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

K and B is a Gold Sponsor! They have their own forum and everything!

Check'm out!!!

K&B Corvette Products
Posted on: 2011/7/3 20:13

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Senior Guru
Aiken, SC
440 Posts

OK, thank you! I went to their website, but they give a lot of parts numbers, no prices though. Will have to wait until Tuesday before I can call them to find out if their price is lower than other vendors.

I'll also check to see they can fix the Bose radio in terms of the CD or if I have to send to Dr. Don's.

Lots of stuff on their website, just no pricing.
Posted on: 2011/7/3 22:13

vis_croceus Re: Fuel Sending Unit...used or new?
Senior Guru
VA
260 Posts

Corvette Recycling are great guys. You'll find tons of people on CF who have bought from them. Don't think I've ever seen a complaint. I've bought several NOS parts from them - radiator & brakes mostly.

For the fuel sender, though, a brand new one from a GM dealer runs $250 so for the small savings I would go with the new one rather than the one that has been sitting on the shelf for 10-15 years.

Better yet:
http://www.amazon.com/Delco-FLS1102-F ... urn_1?ie=UTF8&n=15684181&
Posted on: 2011/7/4 19:29

Senior Guru
Aiken, SC
440 Posts

Thank you. Though the referenced part doesn't fit the Corvette, they do have one for $319 which does, at least at Amazon.

I haven't checked with Chris yet either to see what price he can give.
Posted on: 2011/7/4 22:10

vis_croceus Re: Fuel Sending Unit...used or new?
Senior Guru
VA
260 Posts

Quote:

95Vert wrote:
Thank you. Though the referenced part doesn't fit the Corvette, they do have one for $319 which does, at least at Amazon.

Resized Image

Resized Image

Resized Image

Or, as you stated, you can pay 30% more for the same part from a place with "corvette" in it's name, via the amazon website.
Posted on: 2011/7/6 5:12

Senior Guru
Aiken, SC
440 Posts

Thanks Steve, looks like FLS1082 is the part number that will fit. I don't know why then that the Amazon part description stated that the part did not fit my vehicle.
Posted on: 2011/7/6 17:43

wayner97 Re: Fuel Sending Unit...used or new?
Guru Newb
2 Posts

I am having a fuel problem with my 84 Corvette. Put the car away for the Winter and it was fine, Tried to start it this Spring but wasn't getting fuel to the injectors. No blown fuses..Replaced fuel pump which was working. My friend was trouble shooting and zapped my sending unit with a 12 volt surge. Put unit back in car, however did not replace the sock. Noticed that injector fuses had some oxidation on them so cleaned them with emery cloth. Car started , but when shut off would not get fuel coming out of the injectors. I replaced all 3 amp fuses and 10 amp FP fuse, but wouldn't start. After letting car sit for at least a day it would start again, but once shut off same thing...No fuel....ANy ideas? I know I need a new sending usit, but that wouldn't cause a fuel problem would it? Also, I am ordering a new fuel pump relay, don't know what else to do. The car is low to the ground with side pipes so can't get under it to check filter, but why would it start after sitting for a day? This happens over and over again... Thank you in advance for any help you can give me.
Posted on: 2011/7/11 2:23

bogus Re: Fuel Sending Unit...used or new?
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

what year?

Welcome aboard, Wayner!
Posted on: 2011/7/11 2:28

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

wayner97 Re: Fuel Sending Unit. and no fuel ..problem?
Guru Newb
2 Posts

Thanks for the welcome Bogus.....nice meeting you...Wayne
Posted on: 2011/7/11 2:34

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.