Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
286 user(s) are online (245 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Rat Motor
GM production big block engines were known as Rat motors.

'W' Series:

5.7L 348ci - 1958 thru 1964
6.7L 409ci - 1961 thru 1965
7.0L 427ci (Z11...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

NelsonV My first time: Barona 1/8mile Drags
Senior Guru
Sunny Southern CA
245 Posts

Resized Image

My best ET out of 4 runs was 8.222 @ 96.912 and that was scary in this 40 year old beast.

I made four passes and couldn't hook or keep my car straight after 2nd gear. Running 10" slicks and 3.31:1 gears. I felt like I had a lot of motor left but was really accelerator-shy because of how squirrely the car was.
Posted on: 2011/10/22 22:05
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

TommyT-Bone Re: My first time: Barona 1/8mile Drags
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Soungs like you need more practice Nelson. Plenty of car. Fine tune the driver. Glad your putting it to good use.
Posted on: 2011/10/22 22:12

NelsonV Re: My first time: Barona 1/8mile Drags
Senior Guru
Sunny Southern CA
245 Posts

I used put the car to good use as a daily driver. But lately it gets driven a couple times a month since I bought my old C5 back.

At any rate, I'm sure practice would help put down better numbers. But really I just wanted to get a feel for what it's capable of after having the 496 built last year. I don't want to get addicted to racing, though; so I think today satisfied my curiosity enough.
Posted on: 2011/10/22 22:45

TommyT-Bone Re: My first time: Barona 1/8mile Drags
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

I hear it sounds like a monster. Is there a sound clip posted anywhere?
Posted on: 2011/10/22 23:11

Senior Guru
Sunny Southern CA
245 Posts

Too bad I didn't have anyone to video for me today.

Here's a couple older vids:

Posted on: 2011/10/22 23:40

bogus Re: My first time: Barona 1/8mile Drags
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

The thing is a monster... The only engine more violent is a full on NASCAR cup car... or a even more sick drag motor.

Impressive numbers, Nelson! If you had a locking TC or a manual, it woulda really scared the shit out of you!
Posted on: 2011/10/23 0:14

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I apologize for the 2nd video... it was my first try with the iPhone and I kinda mucked it up.

Whatever you do, turn your speakers up to 11. It is the best way to really feel it... then go burn a tire.

The entire lot and the bar smelled of burned tire.
Posted on: 2011/10/23 0:15

rklessdriver Re: My first time: Barona 1/8mile Drags
Senior Guru
Woodbridge, VA
1318 Posts

Quote:

NelsonV wrote:
I made four passes and couldn't hook or keep my car straight after 2nd gear. Running 10" slicks and 3.31:1 gears. I felt like I had a lot of motor left but was really accelerator-shy because of how squirrely the car was.

Slicks on the rear and what kind of tire on the front?

Looks like a pretty big tire.... If you have those wide low profile radials (in the pics) it won't drive worth a crap and can be down right dangerous.

You have to run a 165/80R15 (4.5" wide radial) or one of the dedicated drag racing bias ply front runners with a bias ply slick on the rear to make the car drive right on the big end.

You could also make the move to a good radial tire on the rear, like the M/T or Hoosier and keep your current front wheels/tires.
Will
Posted on: 2011/10/23 1:58

1972 Corvette. LS5 454 BBC with M20 4 speed.
Best Pass - Doing good to just pass a gas station.

CentralCoaster Re: My first time: Barona 1/8mile Drags
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Looks like fun. I haven't run that track yet, will get down there soon. I love 1/8 mile racing.
Posted on: 2011/10/23 1:59

Matatk Re: My first time: Barona 1/8mile Drags
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Wow that's a good mph....is it a little scary with the convertible?
Posted on: 2011/10/23 2:58

Senior Guru
Sunny Southern CA
245 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
The thing is a monster... The only engine more violent is a full on NASCAR cup car... or a even more sick drag motor.

Impressive numbers, Nelson! If you had a locking TC or a manual, it woulda really scared the shit out of you!
Compared to the machinery that was out there, my Chevelle seems tame in comparison!

Quote:

rklessdriver wrote:
Slicks on the rear and what kind of tire on the front?

Looks like a pretty big tire.... If you have those wide low profile radials (in the pics) it won't drive worth a crap and can be down right dangerous.

You have to run a 165/80R15 (4.5" wide radial) or one of the dedicated drag racing bias ply front runners with a bias ply slick on the rear to make the car drive right on the big end.

You could also make the move to a good radial tire on the rear, like the M/T or Hoosier and keep your current front wheels/tires.
Will
I got the slicks from a friend in a parts swap. Fronts are my 275/45/17 drivers. So yeah, I run what I brung. Probably explains the squirreliness. I have no idea how to set up a drag car.

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
Looks like fun. I haven't run that track yet, will get down there soon. I love 1/8 mile racing.
I have no other tracks to compare it to. But it was pretty fun and everyone there were good people and really friendly. A lot of good ole boys.

Quote:

Matatk wrote:
Wow that's a good mph....is it a little scary with the convertible?
Actually my first two runs were top-down, and seemed cool. Then one of the track guys said I was too fast to run open car. Last two runs were top-up. That made me feel a little claustrophobic as I've never driven with a helmet before!
Posted on: 2011/10/23 23:06

Senior Guru
Sunny Southern CA
245 Posts

By the way, I really like the way my brother Virgil's IROC squats in this picture.
Resized Image
It makes his car look a lot faster than his best ET of 10.1.
Posted on: 2011/10/23 23:08

BeachBum Re: My first time: Barona 1/8mile Drags
Master Guru
751 Posts

Great sounding Car !!

Barona is a 1700 ft track, thus you'll run approxmiately 1.5-2 mph faster at Irwindale 1/8th mile track. You have quite a bit of HP considering I presume you're a stock-weight Chevelle.

Your MPH indicates you have the ability to run a full second quicker in the 1/8th.

Congrats !
Posted on: 2011/10/24 0:02

jonszr1 Re: My first time: Barona 1/8mile Drags
Senior Guru
Lone Pine, CA
453 Posts

running bias ply slicks and radial tires can get scary in a hurry. you dont really ever want to run this type of set up at the strip .makes the car feel almost like its on ice at the top end .
Posted on: 2011/10/24 7:39
i have a blast playing with my 4 babies 2 zr1s and 2 mustangs 68 coupe with a jon bennit 408 art car fully rollered c4 with a gearvendors over drive .88 mustang built by my kids with a ported lt5 and a bill boudreau blue printed zf 6 spd. with these 4 ...

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Quote:
Actually my first two runs were top-down, and seemed cool. Then one of the track guys said I was too fast to run open car. Last two runs were top-up. That made me feel a little claustrophobic as I've never driven with a helmet before!

Lol, what good does the ragtop do? Makes corpse cleanup easier?

Never heard that the track was 1700'. That doesn't make a lick of sense at all.Resized Image
Posted on: 2011/10/24 15:26

Senior Guru
Sunny Southern CA
245 Posts

Quote:

rklessdriver wrote:
Will
Like this?
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HOO-17330/

Quote:

jonszr1 wrote:
running bias ply slicks and radial tires can get scary in a hurry. you dont really ever want to run this type of set up at the strip .makes the car feel almost like its on ice at the top end .
Exactly what it felt like!
Posted on: 2011/10/24 17:31

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
Quote:

Lol, what good does the ragtop do? Makes corpse cleanup easier?

Resized Image

I was thinking the EXACT same thing... Top up? Keep the guts in the car? I mean... come'n now...
Posted on: 2011/10/24 18:09

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Quote:

NelsonV wrote:

Will
Like this?
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HOO-17330/[/quote]

That'll do. The consensus had been that the M/T was the best radial out there (although some guys who'd already dumped $ on other brands would tell you otherwise).

But I guess that was before this Hoosier was available. Looks legit. I know Nitto also has some new choices out, worth checking into.
Posted on: 2011/10/24 21:21

Master Guru
751 Posts

Quote:

jonszr1 wrote:

I've done it 100's of times.... its fine at our street/strip car speeds. I do agree though, if you're going to being going the speeds needed for parachutes (150+), then I wouldn't mix them.

CC, Barona is technically speaking 1725 feet at the track... you'll see listings of it at the various dragsites of 1600-1700 ft, but the starting line is a little over 1700 ft. Irwindale is somewhere around 1000 ft lower.. you'll run considerably faster. (On my old motor, my best 1/8th et's were from Irwindale)
Posted on: 2011/10/24 21:35

Master Guru
751 Posts

Quote:

NelsonV wrote:
Quote:

rklessdriver wrote:
Will
Like this?
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HOO-17330/

Quote:

jonszr1 wrote:
Exactly what it felt like!

Problem is, while those Hoosiers are among the best drag radial tires, they are not designed for non-tuned suspension cars on marginal tracks. You'll do farrrrrr better with a bias ply slick such as the MT ET Street or Hoosier equalivent. Those radials will spin hard just as your street tire does. With your heavy car, big power, and suspension, you need a tire that recovers quickly.
Posted on: 2011/10/24 21:39

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Nevermind, lol, I read that as 700' LONG... hence my confusion as it's supposed to be 660'.
Posted on: 2011/10/24 22:14

Master Guru
751 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
Nevermind, lol, I read that as 700' LONG... hence my confusion as it's supposed to be 660'.

My bad, I should have mentioned "elevation".

Yeap, Barona is 660' as all 1/8ths are.
Posted on: 2011/10/25 1:20

Senior Guru
Woodbridge, VA
1318 Posts

Nelson-
Just my opinion mind you - but I have raced about every drag radial tire out there on a regular street cars and real race cars.

The Hoosier is the best commonly availiable radial out there for pure racing. They are considerabally lighter than most everything else. However their tread pattern is a no go for any type of street driving other than to the track and home.

The MT is the second best radial tire for racing. I run them on my 92 every day. I drive them rain or shine and have just over 10K miles and some 50 odd passes on my current set over a 2yr span.... mine are just about at the end of their life. They are OK on the street. We drove my 92 all the way to Carlisle (400mile round trip) in a hurricane and there was some hydro planning in standing water over about 1" but for the most part the car drove fine.

If your going to get a 275-17 the MT is what I recommend.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MTT-3743R/

There are others like Nitto 555R DR which is more of a street daily driver tire. The Nitto NT05 DR is soposed to be more track oriented but I haven't seen anyone make them work as well as the Hoosier or MT. A few of the Shelby guys around here have them and I've been taking their $$$ easily.

M&H has some oddball sizes if you need them but I haven't been able to make the set I bought work worth a crap and no one I know that bought them has either. Worst money on drag radials I ever spent.

Goodyear has one heck of a 275-15 radial but the side wall in it goes away fast... like in 5-15 passes depending on how much power you have. We have run them on my brothers X275 car.... I haven't seen any other sizes from GY hit the street yet. IF they ever get a 17" radial out to the public I'll give it a try on my 92.....

Toyo had a pretty good street oriented radial tire. More traction than the Nitto 555R and just as good of street manners but I haven't seen any availiable in the past year or so - don't know what up with them.

As with most racers, not everyone agrees with everone. I have a slight respectful disagreement with Beach Bum on radial tire effectiveness.

With your 3.31 gear, foot braking on street stall converter I think a MT or Hoosier radial tire would hook you up pretty good on a race track. Also you have alot of antisquat in the stock A body 4 link suspension - which works well with a radial tire. If you have adjustable shocks I would suggest at the track you dial them as stiff as possible... if not, don't worry about it.

These drag radial tires take a regular burnout and like air pressure around 18 lbs to 25 lbs.
Will
Posted on: 2011/10/25 1:20

Master Guru
751 Posts

Will, you might be right. I do not know much about A-body suspensions other than what I have read on the other forums. I know if you have big power, stock suspensions are hard to hook-up with those boats. Hence, regardless of if which tire you run, considering his suspension and power level, he is probably going to spin, thus what becomes important is recovery time and a bias ply will almost always recover much quicker than a radial. (But, maybe not the Hoosier... I don't know)

I do agree, the Hoosier tire has passed everybody in the drag radial department by all reports. I've run just about every drag radial, except theirs.... but I want too, its not just the heads-up racers raving about the Hoosier drag radial, but also the bracket racers. The other DR tires simply do not hold power consistently enough for a bracket racer, such as myself. I've lost so many races due to them, I'm soured on them. One thing about a radial though... if you get it hooked up in your roll-out, it will run faster than the BP tire.

As a note, I've got a great article on tires where Ken Warner, the MT guru talks about everything being discussed in this thread. Maybe tomorrow, if I have time, I'll scan it and then post it. It is interesting.

later
Posted on: 2011/10/25 2:54

Senior Guru
Sunny Southern CA
245 Posts

I guess I have a few options.

1. Find some bias-ply drag racing tires and wheels for the front. Out back, run the drag slicks I have now (28X10X15) on steel wheels (15X8?) with 1/4 inch spacers to clear the rear discs/calipers Andy made me buy. (Before this weekend, the slicks had never seen a pass. But they're old and showing early signs of dry rot.)

2. Run my front street radials (275/45/17 on 17X8 forged wheels). Find some drag radials to mount on the 15X8 steelies (or even new tires AND wheels out back).

3. Find some bias-ply drag racing tires and wheels for the front. Out back, replace the aging slicks as well. Go balls out!

4. I originally set this car up for the street (well, except for the motor) and don't really wasn't intending to make it a race car. Should I just call it "one and done" for racing? I really just wanted "to get an idea" of what the car can do.... Nah, that's not my style!

Thanks for all the input so far guys! Keep em coming. By the way, I am not necessarily looking for streetable tires.

Edit: beachbum just saw your post. Would love to read that article!
Posted on: 2011/10/25 3:22

Senior Guru
Sunny Southern CA
245 Posts

Oh, I guess here's a few particulars to help you help me:

Rear wheel dyno numbers: 425 Max Power; 455 Max Torque; pretty flat out 6200rpm
TH400 w/ stall around 2800rpm
3.31:1 with Posi
Front suspension is of the "Pro Touring" variety (ie adjustable control arms with revised camber curve; C5 brakes/rotors; aluminum spindles) but with stock spring rates and shocks front and rear
Vehicle weight: 3900 lbs
Posted on: 2011/10/25 3:36

Master Guru
751 Posts

Quote:

NelsonV wrote:
I guess I have a few options.

1. Find some bias-ply drag racing tires and wheels for the front. Out back, run the drag slicks I have now (28X10X15) on steel wheels (15X8?) with 1/4 inch spacers to clear the rear discs/calipers Andy made me buy. (Before this weekend, the slicks had never seen a pass. But they're old and showing early signs of dry rot.)

2. Run my front street radials (275/45/17 on 17X8 forged wheels). Find some drag radials to mount on the 15X8 steelies (or even new tires AND wheels out back).

3. Find some bias-ply drag racing tires and wheels for the front. Out back, replace the aging slicks as well. Go balls out!

4. I originally set this car up for the street (well, except for the motor) and don't really wasn't intending to make it a race car. Should I just call it "one and done" for racing? I really just wanted "to get an idea" of what the car can do.... Nah, that's not my style!

Thanks for all the input so far guys! Keep em coming. By the way, I am not necessarily looking for streetable tires.

Edit: beachbum just saw your post. Would love to read that article!

Nelson,

I found the article on-line, so don't have to scan. It is just a summary of his view on the various aspects of drag racing tires, but I've heard of this guy a dozen times, thus I assume he's a straight-shooter. My experiences do match his on many aspects.

http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/tec ... g_tires_tips/viewall.html

In regards to your dry-rot slicks.... those are garbage and probably not helping you much if any. Slicks will disintegrate over years on you.

As to what you should do per your options above.... it comes down to the question of: Do you enjoy Drag Racing ? If you do, I'd invest in some decent rims and tires considering the high value of good tires in racing, if not, why worry about it. You have a good runner.... 96 mph in a 3900 lb racecar on a 1700 ft track is impressive. With tuning and a lower elevation track, you might be a 100 mph car, which with an A-body is somewhere around 123-125 mph 1/4's and if you're hooking up hard, a 10 second car.

I'll also add, as per the massive spin you are experiencing, I have discovered on my racecar, if you do not get hooked-up before the top of 1st gear or if you spin in 2nd or 3rd gear, this effects your trap speed.... thus, if you were spinning after 1st gear, no telling how fast you can really run. Get a good tire under you and find out !

Good Luck with whatever you do !
Posted on: 2011/10/25 14:24

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Nelson, you'll never have a clue what the car can do without the right tires, or without 50 passes on it, or both.

BTW, what is the point of bias ply fronts? I've heard all sorts of stuff about how terrible it is to drive on flat rear tires at 100mph, but how does putting less stable tires up front do anything to help that?
Posted on: 2011/10/25 17:28

Master Guru
751 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
Nelson, you'll never have a clue what the car can do without the right tires, or without 50 passes on it, or both.

BTW, what is the point of bias ply fronts? I've heard all sorts of stuff about how terrible it is to drive on flat rear tires at 100mph, but how does putting less stable tires up front do anything to help that?

I agree.... without the right tires, you're muzzling up that Mad Dog Motor ! (Proof is running in the 8's, when your mph indicates a low 7 second et capability)

Bias ply fronts are to match the rear bias play slicks so many run with, hence better tracking. I believe all MT ET Fronts are bias ply, which is what I run right now. (Maybe they have radial fronts now, not sure).... but back years ago, I wanted to try radial skinny fronts and found a tire that would go on a 15" rim, 4.5" wide that would stand 26" tall. It was actually a tire designed for volkswagons and was dirt cheap.($ 29 a tire if I remember right)

They worked well, but bear in mind, that radial was heavier than the bias ply and it showed up on the timeslip with a difference in the 3-4 hundredths area vs the MT ET front. Hence, basically almost chopping in half the benefit of the front skinnie on my set-up, which typically gives around a tenth gain on my car, give or take a hundredths or two.

I agree with those who say you shouldn't mix radial and bias-ply, but I'll also say, for a C4 corvette at our street/strip speeds.(Typically under 130 mph), its fine. My car tracked fine regardless of if I had radials on the front and bias ply on the back or vise-versa. Lots of people do it. However, I will correct myself in giving the advise I did earlier.... with a heavy A-body, I can imagine its different at speed than our stable C4's.... so perhaps he shouldn't as jonszr1 eluded to earlier. I don't know.

As a note, there is nothing wrong with Bias Ply slicks at 100 mph or faster.... they grow and you go down the track, with no real stablity issues. Problem lies in when you try to make turns, especially fast ones..... you'll get a lot of sidewall roll.
Posted on: 2011/10/25 18:35

Senior Guru
Sunny Southern CA
245 Posts

Good stuff guys.

So I've been shopping and considering these two:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HOO-17317/
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MTT-3755R/
If I decide to pull the trigger on new tires, I'm leaning to a new 15X10 wheel. My 15X8 steelies look tired, and there aren't many affordable 17 wheels.
So I was liking this:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WLD-96-510280/

Again, I'm not looking to street these tires.
Posted on: 2011/10/25 20:20

Master Guru
751 Posts

Quote:

NelsonV wrote:
Good stuff guys.

So I've been shopping and considering these two:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HOO-17317/
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MTT-3755R/
If I decide to pull the trigger on new tires, I'm leaning to a new 15X10 wheel. My 15X8 steelies look tired, and there aren't many affordable 17 wheels.
So I was liking this:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WLD-96-510280/

Again, I'm not looking to street these tires.

I run the Weld Draglites, but have run the Weld Pro-stars in the past.... its a matter of styling opinion on those. But, they are good well known racing wheels that have no issue, so you're good to go with those.

Of those two radial tires, I think both are good tires, but the Hoosiers have the best feedback from most racers at this point in time, hence, I'd probably go in that direction. I think either will do better than what you had.

I'll add one thing, Irwindale was the hardest hooking track I've ever been on.... albeit, this was years ago, assuming its still in the same good condition, you should try that track. Your motor will like the better air too. Go out on a bracket points day... they allow test n tuners too, or at least used to. The track will be sticky.... I always find it hard to hook-up consistently on test n tune nights with all of the street tire cars.

Good Luck !
Posted on: 2011/10/25 21:53

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Why are you halfassing it with drag radials?

I thought the entire point of drag radials was for guys who like to piss them away on the freeway, and go to the strip 3x a year, don't want to buy a 2nd set of wheels, and want the front and rear rims to match their 18s, or because they are afraid the gestapo will pull them over and check for a DOT tag on their sidewalls, or because their drivetrain won't hold up to the 60' times they might get with slicks.

I put 120 passes on my M/T drag radials including burnouts in about a year (stock C4 power, but...) they still had another 25 passes on them before I stopped going. I only mounted them for going to the track.

In other words, they will dry rot before you use up a set if you're only doing a few passes every few months. If you're shopping, get the stickiest bubblegum tire on the smallest wheel that will fit on that car without vomiting your gears out.
Posted on: 2011/10/25 23:15

Senior Guru
Woodbridge, VA
1318 Posts

If you want a radial go with the 275/60R15 on a 10" wheel. Both MT or Hoosier will work fine - IMO your car is not set up for drag racing so you won't be able to tell the difference in them.

If your going to get a bias ply rear tire or a slick like you currently have - you have to get some skinny front wheels and tires or the car is going to drive like does now.

You have 2 options for front tires.

A 165/80R15 on a 3.5" or 4" wheel is the only radial that won't drive the car like it's on ice with bias ply rear tires on it. Back in the day everybody ran this set up because it was cheap, but FYI they are kinda hard to find these days.

Your other front option is the bias ply Moroso, GY, Hoosier, M&H or MT front runners. Some are DOT approved but these are racing tires and won't last long driven around on the street. They do usually dry rot on a race car before you weear them out a 1/4 mile at a time.
Will
Posted on: 2011/10/26 1:30

Senior Guru
Sunny Southern CA
245 Posts

Quote:

rklessdriver wrote:
If you want a radial go with the 275/60R15 on a 10" wheel. Both MT or Hoosier will work fine - IMO your car is not set up for drag racing so you won't be able to tell the difference in them.

If your going to get a bias ply rear tire or a slick like you currently have - you have to get some skinny front wheels and tires or the car is going to drive like does now.

You have 2 options for front tires.

A 165/80R15 on a 3.5" or 4" wheel is the only radial that won't drive the car like it's on ice with bias ply rear tires on it. Back in the day everybody ran this set up because it was cheap, but FYI they are kinda hard to find these days.

Your other front option is the bias ply Moroso, GY, Hoosier, M&H or MT front runners. Some are DOT approved but these are racing tires and won't last long driven around on the street. They do usually dry rot on a race car before you weear them out a 1/4 mile at a time.
Will

Will my existing wide low-pro front radials work if I go with a drag radial?

It's real squirrely now with slicks out back. If I have to switch front tires for racing, a 15" wheel won't cut it in front. I have C5 rotors and calipers, so must run a 17" wheel.

Will I realize a major difference between bias-ply slicks and drag radials? Given the condition of the rear tires they're gonna have to be replaced if I continue racing.
Posted on: 2011/10/26 3:57

jonszr1 Re: My first time: Barona 1/8mile Drags
Senior Guru
Lone Pine, CA
453 Posts

if you go with drag radials you will be fine with the front tires you have now . just please be carefull if you start going down into the 15lb range on your drag radials . i saw a guy do a 360 at 1/2 track after going to 14 lbs in his mickey thompson drag radials.
Posted on: 2011/10/26 4:38
i have a blast playing with my 4 babies 2 zr1s and 2 mustangs 68 coupe with a jon bennit 408 art car fully rollered c4 with a gearvendors over drive .88 mustang built by my kids with a ported lt5 and a bill boudreau blue printed zf 6 spd. with these 4 ...

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

My M/T radials were slighty faster with more air, but I found them to be more consistent at 16psi. This was lower than they recommended for my car's weight.

But they do have all that on their website, so it gives you a starting point.
Posted on: 2011/10/26 17:53

Senior Guru
Woodbridge, VA
1318 Posts

Quote:

NelsonV wrote:
Will my existing wide low-pro front radials work if I go with a drag radial?

Yes. Now a 275/60-15 drag radial still has a tall sidewall and will flex some - but it will be night and day difference (for the better) over what you have now.

Quote:

NelsonV wrote:
It's real squirrely now with slicks out back. If I have to switch front tires for racing, a 15" wheel won't cut it in front. I have C5 rotors and calipers, so must run a 17" wheel.

There are options for 17" front runners. I have a set from Centerline for my 92 which also has the C5 front brake conversion. 17X4 with M&H 26X4.5 tires. M&H offers both a bias ply and a radial tire to fit the 17X4 front wheels.

Going to a narrow front wheel/tire combo for drag racing is always the best bet because it removes weight, reduces rolling resistance and rolling resistance is primarly why bias ply rear and wide radial front tires drive like crap. The rear slicks are pushing all that front weight coupled with the small amount of tow-in on a radial front suspension - that drives the rear of the car around alot because the bias ply rear tire distorts/flexes so much.

Quote:

NelsonV wrote:
Will I realize a major difference between bias-ply slicks and drag radials? Given the condition of the rear tires they're gonna have to be replaced if I continue racing.

There is a difference. Like Beach Bum said. A bias ply tire is more forgiving on a bad track or an over powered (for the suspension/tire/track combo) car in getting the car hooked up. That's because the sidewall flex absorbs the drivetrain hit and allows the tire to distort, slowing down the wheel momentum (as seen at the contact patch) keeping the the contact patch in one place longer.

A radial will drive better because they don't distort nearly as much. They are actually faster than a bias ply tire if hooked up because the more ridgid sidewall dosen't eat up that little bit of momentum on gear changes or every time there is a hit on the tire.

I assume you asking about traction wise. Your car is so heavy, has so little stall, no transbrake and very little gear. I can see the motor is a good one, but because the rest of the drivetrain is so moderate - I don't think you'll have any trouble hooking it up on any kind of good racing oriented tire, be it a drag radial or bias ply slick.

BTW they do make radial slicks for drag racing now, but I'm not sure what sizes they offer or how it would drive with wide street radials on the front.
Will
Posted on: 2011/10/26 18:24

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.