Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
177 user(s) are online (156 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Horn
A rather boring honk, but it should be loud and clear.

It should work with key on or off....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

WW7 Whats going on with these water pumps on my car??
Senior Guru
Almost Heaven WV
268 Posts

What is causing all the water pumps I put on to leak from the weep hole..I was buying Advance auto water pumps and both failed within 2 years , I figure I will buy a top brand water pump so I don't have to worry about it anymore, so I buy an Edelbrock pump at #169.99 from Summit.. Its been on for about 6 weeks now and when I pulled the car out today there's a 3"puddle under the car..I got my mirror and look under the pump and there is a telltale streak from the weep hole...It seems like when the temperture goes down near zero is when the water pumps leak.. Does anyone else have a problem with there water pump leaking when the temps get real cold???......WW
Posted on: 2012/1/7 20:10
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

BillH Re: Whats going on with these water pumps on my car??
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Shouldn't be a problem with 50/50 antifreeze.

Could be:

Some extraordinary crap in the system that doesn't come out with a regular flush.

Belts too tight.

Misaligned pullys. Belts frayed on the edges at all?

Too much pressure with a bad cap that's not relieving (probably not) but..

I've run SBC pumps to 100k.

Posted on: 2012/1/7 21:30

WW7 Re: Whats going on with these water pumps on my car??
Senior Guru
Almost Heaven WV
268 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:

Shouldn't be a problem with 50/50 antifreeze.

Could be:

Some extraordinary crap in the system that doesn't come out with a regular flush.

Belts too tight.

Misaligned pullys. Belts frayed on the edges at all?

Too much pressure with a bad cap that's not relieving (probably not) but..

I've run SBC pumps to 100k.

Bill,
This is happening after the car has set in the garage for a few days, not right after running it..It also can sit without leaking for days but as soon as it get below freezing I come out the next day and there's coolant under the car that came from the weep hole..Im really getting tired of replacing water pumps..I thought buying a top brand would solve the problem but It seems Edelbrock is no better then the cheap brands..Also no crap in the system ,this motor is only 1 1/2 years old..Thanks.....WW
Posted on: 2012/1/7 22:22

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Wayne, it just doesn't make any sense (not questioning what you said or that you verified that the coolant's coming from the weep hole).

Here a pic of the components, the shaft/bearing has a double seal. The inner seal is pressed in before the impeller is installed. The inner seal has a metal housing, spring and seal, it's pretty beefy.

The only way coolant can get to the weep hole is if it bypass the shaft thru the seal or around the metal pressfit housing.
To me, it only seems likely that somethings happening to that seal or the coolant doesn't have enough antifreeze, expanding to ice, pushing past the seal.

After you have a leak can you run again for a while without it leaking?

It's possible that there's a rebuild kit for the Edelbrock, just guessing.

Something's going on here that's not normal. I can buy one crappy new pump but not 3.
Posted on: 2012/1/7 23:19

Senior Guru
Almost Heaven WV
268 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:
Wayne, it just doesn't make any sense (not questioning what you said or that you verified that the coolant's coming from the weep hole).

Here a pic of the components, the shaft/bearing has a double seal. The inner seal is pressed in before the impeller is installed. The inner seal has a metal housing, spring and seal, it's pretty beefy.

The only way coolant can get to the weep hole is if it bypass the shaft thru the seal or around the metal pressfit housing.
To me, it only seems likely that somethings happening to that seal or the coolant doesn't have enough antifreeze, expanding to ice, pushing past the seal.

After you have a leak can you run again for a while without it leaking?

It's possible that there's a rebuild kit for the Edelbrock, just guessing.

Something's going on here that's not normal. I can buy one crappy new pump but not 3.

The coolant is mixed by buying one jug of antifreeze, pouring half into another jug, then topping both off with distilled water,, 50/50... The car can sit for a week or 2 and I won't have any leaks until I get a day with temps down below freezing, I go out the next day and there's coolant on the floor..I took a mirror and checked and theres stains coming from the weep hole..I also placed a folded paper towel under the weep hole and after a cold night there is coolant on the towel...Maybe I should get an electric water pump..This is the second pump to do the exact same thing.In the summer or warmer weather I never see a leak of any kind...Go figure.....WW
Posted on: 2012/1/8 2:48

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

That's just so F'in' strange Wayne. There's a million small blocks sitting out in the cold with no leaks.

Does it quit leaking if you drive it?

Posted on: 2012/1/8 2:53

Senior Guru
Almost Heaven WV
268 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:

That's just so F'in' strange Wayne. There's a million small blocks sitting out in the cold with no leaks.

Does it quit leaking if you drive it?

Bill,
It never leaks when I drive it or right after I drive it.. It has to sit until cold and then the outside temps have to get below freezing...I must have the worst luck in the world....Really..I just hope Summit lets me return it to them, since I have trashed the original box....WW
Posted on: 2012/1/8 3:42

flyboy Re: Whats going on with these water pumps on my car??
Elite Guru
Westmont, Il.
2632 Posts

I recently had a puddle under the front in the morning, not every day, usually after a good run the previous day. Kind of hard to see, feel under there. Turned out it was at the heater hose water/pump connection. What a relief.
Posted on: 2012/1/8 13:26

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

flyboy wrote: I recently had a puddle under the front in the morning, not every day, usually after a good run the previous day. Kind of hard to see, feel under there. Turned out it was at the heater hose water/pump connection. What a relief.

Yea, and thet makes sense - pressure build up.

What Wayne has going on is nutso, I just can't get this in my head. A leak caused by colder temps just doesn't make sense. Coolant/connections warm up, expand - leak. Coolant/connections cool down, contract - leak quits. Waynes problem is exactly the opposite and I've never, ever heard of something like this before.

Posted on: 2012/1/8 14:09

1Fast04Vert Re: Whats going on with these water pumps on my car??
Elite Guru
The hills of N. Georgia
2424 Posts

We saw cold weather leaks on the big rigs for years, especially if they were running silicon hoses. The oeteker (sp?) clamps cured the problem. If the truck sat parked in the cold there would be a small puddle under it after a day or so. If we overtightened the clamps to stop the cold leak then once everything got hot and expanded the clamps would break. The spring loaded oeteker clamps solved the problem.
Posted on: 2012/1/8 15:59

JrRifleCoach Re: Whats going on with these water pumps on my car??
Elite Guru
1524 Posts

What makes Wayne's car any different than any other SBC?

My thought runs in circles....
Ahh, but what may be different is his coolant?
Or possibly pressure in the cooling system?
Any additives like a "wetter"?

Are you sure there isn't a funny guy in the neighborhood fucking with your mind?
Posted on: 2012/1/28 1:58
As democracy is perfected, the POTUS represents more closely the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day, the folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be occupied by a fool and narcissistic moron.

RickAnthony Re: Whats going on with these water pumps on my car??
ASE Master Certified
Downers Grove, IL
703 Posts

I would flush the system, and replace it with an A/C delco pump... not a fan of the autozone parts, and edelbrock is probably over priced..

Of course that is after checking for leaks at any connections and assuming it is the pump it's self leaking...
Posted on: 2012/1/29 4:51
RickAnthonyMotorsports.NET

Matatk Re: Whats going on with these water pumps on my car??
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

I don't think anyone has asked an obvious troubleshooting question. Have you done a pressure test? It's not guaranteed that the pump itself is leaking? I had a hose right above the pump leak slowly that mimicked the pump leaking from the weep hole.

Might be time for some UV dye, as well.

Matthew
Posted on: 2012/1/29 12:41

jonszr1 Re: Whats going on with these water pumps on my car??
Senior Guru
Lone Pine, CA
453 Posts

could you have gotten ahold of reverse rotation pumps ??????
Posted on: 2012/1/31 2:25
i have a blast playing with my 4 babies 2 zr1s and 2 mustangs 68 coupe with a jon bennit 408 art car fully rollered c4 with a gearvendors over drive .88 mustang built by my kids with a ported lt5 and a bill boudreau blue printed zf 6 spd. with these 4 ...

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.