Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
293 user(s) are online (277 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  TLS
Transverse Leaf Spring

A design first used by Chevrolet in the 1963 Corvette with independent rear suspension. When centrally mounted, it function...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
Browsing this Thread:   2 Anonymous Users
 Register To Post

bogus Time for my occasional rant on part quality
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I just had to replace the coolant temp sensor... AGAIN...

They last 12-18 months, tops... and the only one available at Oreily's was the one made in China... I am betting this one lasts about 3 months.

I am going to order 2 from Rockauto ASAP so I have the delco part in hand.

Funny how the OEM one lasted 15 years, and I keep going thru the replacements at this rate!

Oh, Delco is the best... 18-22 months!
Posted on: 2012/5/1 5:07

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Calm Re: Time for my occasional rant on part quality
Senior Guru
Vancouver, Canada
608 Posts

Back in the 80's I had a repair shop.
Had many commercial customers (delivery and taxi mostly) that needed new engines. They wanted 'rebuilds' but I convinced them the cheapest way was to have me get complete engines (10 to 40 thousand miles) from the wreckers complete with all accessories. BUT...(I would explain to them)all their accessories (oil pump, timing chain, gasket set,water pump, distributor, alternator, oil pump, oil pan, etc, etc) would have factory existing miles on them (10 to 40k) which would be much better than re-installing their 250k existing items Saved them thousands. (Sure, I could have made decent bucks from the rebuild going the 'shop way'..and actually STAYED IN BUSINESS....thus being a real 'shop'....but whatever, eh?).
Now, 30 years later, things haven't really changed, except the list of items included on the wreckers list (CTS, MAF, etc, etc).
Of course today, the wreckers have gotten smarter and separated these items from the engines and sell them apart(and THEY are still in business, of course).

All this to say.....it's better to buy factory used than to buy rebuilt new.
Posted on: 2012/5/1 7:03

Matatk Re: Time for my occasional rant on part quality
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

That sucks. Same thing happened to me and Joe with our fuel pressure regulators. Lasted maybe two years before it tore open and started dumping fuel. And at $50 a pop and an hour to replace it's not fun.

Matthew
Posted on: 2012/5/1 11:04

Ultraman Re: Time for my occasional rant on part quality
2015 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Huskerland
14738 Posts

I contacted Racetronix about a fuel pump to replace the working one in my C5. In my book its not if its going to fail, its when. Anyway he asked me how many miles on my car and I told him at the time I think around 86K....He said just leave it alone....I said ok.

I was suprised and pleased he did not just try to sell me something and I also read into it that the OEM part was a good part and not to fix it if it ain't broke.

I have always hated in tank fuel pumps.......The C4 fuel pump was something you could change out yourself which was ok to me but the C5's no way. In fact there are two of them...one to feed the engine and one to pump the fuel from one tank to the other.....If you do need to change them out it is a TON of money....parts and labor.

That's my rantings for the day.......
Posted on: 2012/5/1 12:43

Vote DeSantis in 2024.... Make the IRS go away...

flyboy Re: Time for my occasional rant on part quality
Elite Guru
Westmont, Il.
2632 Posts

One month old coolant temp sensor from Advance went bad in my '91 Caprice. Open circuit caused me a nightmare of a 60 mile drive in lots of traffic. Super rich condition causing stalling, hard restarts in very awkward places.
Posted on: 2012/5/1 12:49

92Polo Re: Time for my occasional rant on part quality
Guru
91 Posts

Have you considered the possibility that there might be something causing it to fail?

Granted I don't know what that would be, but a sensor such as that with no moving parts should work for years and years no matter who makes it.

Don't get me wrong, I hate crappy parts as much as the next guy but in my experience if you have repeated failure of the same part, it's usually not the part to blame.

Maybe something like corroded or flaky contacts on the wiring harness side? Perhaps when you plug in a new sensor it "cleans" the contacts slightly so it makes up good for a while and then corrodes back up?

I ripped a brand new opti off of my car once because the pigtail that goes between the opti and the main harness had corroded up. The pigtail was brand new as well and had never been wet but it was sure messed up.
Posted on: 2012/5/1 14:28

CorvetteBob Re: Time for my occasional rant on part quality
Elite Guru
1409 Posts

For some years now, I've had good luck withthe Echlin brand of sensors on my cars.
For a '92 Vette, my local NAPA lists this at about $25.50.
Here's a link to the NAPA site for the CTS...

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Cat ... 1992+50012+2012030&Ar=AND(P_RecType%3aA)

Best of luck, I hate junk parts too.
Posted on: 2012/5/1 14:45

bogus Re: Time for my occasional rant on part quality
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quote:

92Polo wrote:
Have you considered the possibility that there might be something causing it to fail?

Granted I don't know what that would be, but a sensor such as that with no moving parts should work for years and years no matter who makes it.

Don't get me wrong, I hate crappy parts as much as the next guy but in my experience if you have repeated failure of the same part, it's usually not the part to blame.

Maybe something like corroded or flaky contacts on the wiring harness side? Perhaps when you plug in a new sensor it "cleans" the contacts slightly so it makes up good for a while and then corrodes back up?

I ripped a brand new opti off of my car once because the pigtail that goes between the opti and the main harness had corroded up. The pigtail was brand new as well and had never been wet but it was sure messed up.

I have thought about this... more than once. And again, yesterday, I re-cleaned the harness plug. And I am left with the same question: What would cause these things to fail?

I will say this, the last one that failed, the plastic socket was broken in a belt change. I hate it when that happens... but it continued to work until the numbers freaked out. Now, if the last one failed because of goo on it, that's fine.

But the reality is that this Chinese made part is not going to last. What I don't understand is how the knumbnuts at O'Reilly can say with a straight face that it will.

I think the last one was NAPA... that or GM OEM. Hell, I had a brand new GM OEM part fail within the week one time.

Posted on: 2012/5/1 17:14

Guru
91 Posts

Just for shits and giggles have you tried to test one of the sending units with an ohm meter? The resistance should change dramatically with temperature. Test it pretty much the same way you would test a thermostat. Drop it in boiling water and test the resistance across the terminals and watch it continue to change as the sensor returns to ambient.
Posted on: 2012/5/1 20:01

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I can do that... I have the old sensor.

Posted on: 2012/5/1 20:29

Guru
91 Posts

You'll likely find that it's bad, but it never hurts to test. On the off chance the sensor is good maybe you can run that down and save yourself some headache and pulling out of your hair. I know I don't have much left to pull out anymore.
Posted on: 2012/5/1 20:50

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

oh, quiet you. I am 46 with a very full head of blonde hair... no going anywhere anytime soon!
Posted on: 2012/5/1 21:27

Guru
91 Posts

My dad always said he's not worried about what's turning gray, he's worried about what's turning loose. I know where he's coming from.
Posted on: 2012/5/1 22:04

flyboy Re: Time for my occasional rant on part quality
Elite Guru
Westmont, Il.
2632 Posts

Put a match to it with the ohm meter connected. You'll see it move right away. Resistance should drop as it warms.
Posted on: 2012/5/1 22:11

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

and if it does what it looks like it did, the resistance will bounce like a pogo stick.
Posted on: 2012/5/1 22:18

BillH Re: Time for my occasional rant on part quality
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
I can do that... I have the old sensor.

Ohms vs temp chart, page 6E3-A-45
Posted on: 2012/5/1 23:12

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Not really concerned about real numbers, just seeing how linear the resistance reads.
Posted on: 2012/5/1 23:29

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Ok... tested the old one and it actually responded correctly.

I then test started the car with the new one in it, as supplied by O'Reilly, made in China by Master Pro Ignition...

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/det ... 96_-1_3125&keyword=2-8296

Talk about a piece of shit. I started the car and IMMEDIATELY got a code and the temp was stuck at 142. Dead sensor.

I put the old "broken" one back in, after cleaning the contacts and it works just fine, even with the busted plastic shield.

I don't know about the rest of you guys, but if I had a choice between a $10 part that would get me by in a pinch, or, a $25 part that will last for 5 years... give me the $25 part.
Posted on: 2012/5/2 1:10

joeld Re: Time for my occasional rant on part quality
Guru
Lawrenceville Ga
718 Posts

I have no problem with paying more money for a quality part. But, it seems like most people now want the cheap price and the hell with quality. And what gets me is that good parts could be produced just as easy as the junk parts. Just use good materials and assemble them properly! I'll gladly pay the difference.

Joel
Posted on: 2012/5/2 2:56

Guru
91 Posts

Sounds like you need to thoroughly clean your connections and tighten them if at all possible and then put it back together with some dielectric grease to prevent corrosion. What does the brand new "dead" sensor do with your ohm meter?
Posted on: 2012/5/2 3:48

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

The dead sensor would run up some numbers real fast and then go "OL" on the meter - it's a Fluke digital.

It did it several times.

The 142 is a default the ECM uses whenever the sensor fails...

The ECM expects oil and coolant to heat at different, but linear rates. This is the bite here... 142 is way too hot for 75F oil! The ECM expects them to start (nearly) the same and spread apart... not start apart!
Posted on: 2012/5/2 4:15

Guru
91 Posts

Cool, just wanted to verify that the new dead sensor really is dead. Since the old one actually works that pointed towards a connection problem. Electrical gremlins are maddening, wanted to make sure there wasn't one there.
Posted on: 2012/5/2 13:14

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

the new one plugged in real nice and snug and tight... weatherpacks are pretty good for that.

But it mattered not... it was hosed.
Posted on: 2012/5/2 16:19

Guru
91 Posts

Even if the plastic is snug sometimes the connectors don't make up though. But if it doesn't work with the meter then it's not gonna work in the car.
Posted on: 2012/5/3 22:57

NC Kid Re: Time for my occasional rant on part quality
Elite Guru
North Carolina
1671 Posts

I need a coolant sensor for my car but they only make the one that goes in the block and not the radiator for OEM.
Posted on: 2012/5/11 21:48

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Uh, kid... there isn't one that screws into the radiator.

1986, right? This should be the part;

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Cat ... 1986+50012+2012030&Ar=AND(P_RecType%3aA)

Posted on: 2012/5/12 5:09

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

Quote:

NC Kid wrote:
I need a coolant sensor for my car but they only make the one that goes in the block and not the radiator for OEM.

Are you referring to the low coolant sensor in the radiator?

Matthew
Posted on: 2012/5/12 11:38

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

If so, don't bother with the POS... it was a flawed design. The sensor was located on the rad above the engine. It sends more false messages than positive ones.

Practice due diligence and pull the cap once a month.

Posted on: 2012/5/12 15:42

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

I dunno, my low coolant light has always been accurate. Helped me track down a leak in the heater core I didn't know I had.
Posted on: 2012/5/13 15:21

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

89 was different than 87, IIRC.

The 87 had a sensor mounted just below the filler neck. Every time the driver rev'd the engine, causing the level to drop a couple of inches, the light would come on. Most annoying! I even asked Gordon Killebrew about it and he was never impressed with that design.

He much preferred the later design, that put the sensor on the surge tank.

Posted on: 2012/5/13 15:39

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

I'd have to compare the 89 vs the 87. On mine the sensor is mounted under the rad cap but a few inches down and I've never experienced a false reading.
Posted on: 2012/5/13 15:41

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.