Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
251 user(s) are online (197 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Saw Blades
The wheel style used for most of the C4s existence.

The early saw blades face forward. This means they catch air from the outside and drag it insi...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

BigSky Running Rough & dying ..... Looks to be Fuel issue
Guru Newb
Billings, Montana
14 Posts

So a couple weeks ago my vette started running bad, like it was getting intermittant fuel. Got her home and is was as if she wasnt running on all cylinders. I felt it was the fuel pump after some diagnosis, so I ended up replacing the fuel pump with sock, and the fuel filter.

Afterwards, no difference in the way she ran. I hooked up a pressure gauge and no pressure. No pressure at key on or after when started. It would start but die shortly after unless I feathered the gas to keep it going.

Today I bought my own fuel pressure gauge and used the hose without the gauge on it to see if fuel would come out. The first time I turned on the key (but didnt start it) I could hear the pump running, and it gave fuel. So I tried it a couple more times, but the pump wouldnt cycle on. It made a clicking sound, but never the correct sound as it should.

So, should I be getting another pump or looking elsewhere?

Thanks!
Posted on: 2012/10/7 1:06
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

BillH Re: Running Rough & dying ..... Looks to be Fuel issue
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

What year Brian?

Possible Fuel pump relay.
Posted on: 2012/10/7 1:59

bogus Re: Running Rough & dying ..... Looks to be Fuel issue
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

It's an 89... and I am thinking relay, also.

However, the fuel pump switch should have fired it off as you try so start... how this works... On the back of the block, behind the distributor, is a switch. This is next to the oil pressure sensor. This switch, when it sees 4 PSI of oil pressure, fires the fuel pump. What this does not do it stop the fuel flow - ie, protect the engine - when the oil pressure drops. The reason? Engine rebuilds are cheaper than wrecks.
Posted on: 2012/10/7 3:46

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

BigSky Re: Running Rough & dying ..... Looks to be Fuel issue
Guru Newb
Billings, Montana
14 Posts

Sounds like a plan! Do you have a photo of what it looks like? I am not sure my Haynes manual will have a photo. Are there any special tricks to replacing it?
Posted on: 2012/10/7 3:57

Ultraman Re: Running Rough & dying ..... Looks to be Fuel issue
2015 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Huskerland
14760 Posts

Hi Big Sky...welcome to the Guru....hope these guys can get you up and running again......Huskers did not look good after the first quarter....I'm thinking Bo's clock is ticking....
Posted on: 2012/10/7 4:20

Vote DeSantis in 2024.... Make the IRS go away...

Matatk Re: Running Rough & dying ..... Looks to be Fuel issue
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22807 Posts

If it didn't prime again after you turned the key off it's probably because you didn't wait long enough. You have to turn it off for about 10 seconds and then turn it back on for the pump to cycle again.

The fact that it ran with zero fuel pressure doesn't make sense to me. Might be a faulty gauge. I've also heard of getting zero reading if you tighten the fuel pressure tester with a pair of pliers (should be finger tightened).

As far as running rough and being fuel related, I would check two things first off. First, unclip the wiring harnesses from each fuel injector and measure the resistance (ohms) of each injector. They should be around 16 each. Unfortunately over time the ethanol in the gas ruins them as the older style injectors weren't built to handle it. Second, pull the vacuum line off the fuel pressure regulator and smell for gas. That could be an indication of a tear in the diaphragm. I've replaced that twice already.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Matthew
Posted on: 2012/10/7 5:01

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22807 Posts

Oh, and since you say you heard the pump run when you first turned the key on (but without starting) the relay is fine.
Posted on: 2012/10/7 5:03

Guru Newb
Billings, Montana
14 Posts

I really dont see how the fuel injectors could be involved.....I dont have fuel pressure. If I had fuel pressure and it was running bad, then yes that would follow.

Thinking I might have a bad gauge is why I bought my own and left the gauge off the other end of the hose. This way I can actually see fuel flow, thus eliminating a clog in the line. With fuel flowing when pump charged and didnt flow when it didnt charge would lead me to believe its more likely a fuel pump relay, switch or what ever they are called.

Since my crapy Haynes manual doesnt show me where the fuel pump relay / switch is located or what it looks like, does anyone have a photo of this & where its located????

Posted on: 2012/10/7 19:38

Guru Newb
Billings, Montana
14 Posts

CRAP! This is really maddening. I just went out & started & ran the dam vette for a minute or two, even though it was acting like it was missing and wouldnt build RPM much over 2k. In addition I heard the pump charging before I started it and again afterwards when I key'd on again to check.

This thing is so frigging frustrating I really dont know what the hell to do next......
Posted on: 2012/10/7 20:14

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

then the problem isn't fuel... Remember, it takes three parts - air - fuel - SPARK.

If you have air and fuel, then it must be spark.

Inside the distributor is the ignition control module. It wears out and bad things happen. It is under the rotor.

Another thought is bad wires. I would make sure all wires are good and snug. Start the car in the dark and look for arcing.

Posted on: 2012/10/7 20:43

joeld Re: Running Rough & dying ..... Looks to be Fuel issue
Guru
Lawrenceville Ga
718 Posts

How much fuel pressure do you have? Just because there is fuel flowing dosen't mean there is correct pressure.
One thing at a time, pressure check first!

Joel
Posted on: 2012/10/7 21:45

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I think he had a bum pressure gauge...

Also, test spark and test the coil. There are a lot of things that could cause this.

I am also wondering if the precats or even the main cats have melted down...
Posted on: 2012/10/7 21:58

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22807 Posts

Quote:

BigSky wrote:
I really dont see how the fuel injectors could be involved.....I dont have fuel pressure. If I had fuel pressure and it was running bad, then yes that would follow.

Do you understand I'm trying to help you? I'm giving you advise based on my experience and several years of being around these forums. If you don't want my help, don't ask for it.

But since you originally did, I will point out that you stated:

"So a couple weeks ago my vette started running bad, like it was getting intermittant fuel. Got her home and is was as if she wasnt running on all cylinders. I felt it was the fuel pump after some diagnosis, so I ended up replacing the fuel pump with sock, and the fuel filter.

Afterwards, no difference in the way she ran."

I don't know what diagnosis you did to determine the pump was faulty. But changing the pump didn't solve the problem. Faulty injectors will cause the car to run poorly. It is an extremely common problem with our vintage cars and one of the easiest troubleshooting steps you can do to eliminate the internal coil as being shorted out.

Aside from that, if you have a leaking / clogged / open injector, that can cause a rapid and almost immediate loss of fuel pressure in addition to flooding your crankcase/oil pan with fuel. It can wash down the cylinder walls and destroy your engine.

Quote:

BigSky wrote:

Thinking I might have a bad gauge is why I bought my own and left the gauge off the other end of the hose. This way I can actually see fuel flow, thus eliminating a clog in the line. With fuel flowing when pump charged and didnt flow when it didnt charge would lead me to believe its more likely a fuel pump relay, switch or what ever they are called.

That is a dangerous and incorrect way to check the fuel pressure. The fuel pressure at key on should be in the vicinity of 40-47 psi coming out of the schrader valve. It will shoot all over the engine compartment and anyone near it if there is no gauge at the end of the fuel line.

As I stated in my post above, if you heard the pump prime, then the relay is not the issue. Also, you did not wait long enough after key off to cycle the system, so the relay did not energize the pump again. You need to wait 10 seconds between attempts.

Quote:

BigSky wrote:

Since my crapy Haynes manual doesnt show me where the fuel pump relay / switch is located or what it looks like, does anyone have a photo of this & where its located????

The Haynes manual is pretty much worthless. You really need to purchase a factory service manual (FSM) if you plan on doing any serious work on the car. You can get a hard copy or a cd on ebay.

As far as the location of the relay, it is located on the firewall next to the brake booster. Attached to the inner wheel well should be the fan relay. Also, there are two relays behind the battery, those are the maf power and burn off relays.

The fuel pump relay looks like this:

Resized Image

Resized Image

But as I stated above, it's a 99.9% chance your relay is fine. #1, the pump primed when you turned it on the first time. #2, the problems are when the engine is running. #3, I've rarely seen relays go intermittently bad.

If you don't trust the relay, they aren't that expensive. I just hate throwing parts at something to try to fix the problem. Also, test for power at the connector for the fuel pump at the rear of the car. Remove the fuel fill door, the rubber boot, and disconnect the connector. They use a voltmeter to test for power with key on. You should get battery voltage. Anything significantly lower indicates a problem in the circuit...relay, wiring, ground, etc.

Posted on: 2012/10/7 23:34

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22807 Posts

Quote:

BigSky wrote:
CRAP! This is really maddening. I just went out & started & ran the dam vette for a minute or two, even though it was acting like it was missing and wouldnt build RPM much over 2k. In addition I heard the pump charging before I started it and again afterwards when I key'd on again to check.

This thing is so frigging frustrating I really dont know what the hell to do next......

As stated above, your relay is fine.

There are many things that can cause the car to run poorly.

At this point, my tests in order would be the following:

Fuel injectors (ohm with dvm)
Fuel pressure (with gauge)
Inspect plug wires (physically check for cracks, wires are seated, also run car in dark garage and mist water around them to check for arcing)
Check for spark (spark tester)
Check coolant temp sensor (ohm values vs temperature)
Check for clogged cats

Also, you didn't give us much background info on the car as to what maintenance has been done or what lead up to these problems. Anything you can tell us might help us diagnose things better.

Good luck,

Matthew
Posted on: 2012/10/7 23:39

Guru Newb
Billings, Montana
14 Posts

Please dont take me wrong, I sincerely appreciate all the help and guideance!

I am just extreemely frustrated with trying to get this figured out, its compounded by not having the right tools, like a factory service manual.

Hopefully I can get some of the tools I need and test things to see what is happening. If not, I may just have to throw parts at it & see what happens.

Again, Sincere thanks!
Posted on: 2012/10/8 3:00

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quote:

BigSky wrote:

Ok.. there are hints here...

First off, was the engine cold? Did it start and run poorly, or did it start, run fine, then fall apart?

I am leaning more and more towards one of 2 things:

1. The ICM

2. The EGR valve.

If you can get ahold of a vacuum pressure pump, do so, and test the EGR valve. If it doesn't hold pressure, it's shot and will cause the car to run like absolute shit.
Posted on: 2012/10/8 3:26

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22807 Posts

I can understand being frustrated with the car! Lol. Just step back and get a clear mind, it helps when diagnosing.

I don't think it's the ICM (ignition control module) which is located inside the distributor. It suffers heat related failures, but usually when it warms up the car will die as you are driving, then restart when it cools off.

The EGR can definitely cause problems running with roughness, but doesn't explain why it won't go over 2000 rpms.

I'd check the things I outlined above and when you can report those results we can go from there.

Matthew
Posted on: 2012/10/8 11:17

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:

But as I stated above, it's a 99.9% chance your relay is fine. #1, the pump primed when you turned it on the first time. #2, the problems are when the engine is running. #3, I've rarely seen relays go intermittently bad.

If you don't trust the relay, they aren't that expensive.

2 ways to eliminate the relay as the problem:

Hook a fused 12v. + wire to pin G on the ADL connector.

Or pull the relay and jump the red & orange wires.

On initial "key on" the ECM only energizes the relay for a few seconds then looks for pulses from the disty or the 4 psi oil press before turning the relay back on.

Also, the fuel pressure needs to be verified (speciffically - do you get full pressure with the key on AND does it hold?) If not, possible bad regulator.

If it does hold and when you start the motor, you get correct pressure, you've eliminated the fuel system as the problem (at least up to the injectors).

And if the pressure tests meet the above, you've eliminated the fuel system electrical (relay, ECM and o/p switch).

Posted on: 2012/10/8 13:09

Guru Newb
Billings, Montana
14 Posts

Ok after taking the advise I took a few days off to look at this in a new light. So today I finally got a chance to mess with the vette and here is what I have found out. Fuel pressure relay looks to be good as a new one made no effect when installed. All fuses are fine, gas is less than 2 weeks old. I had already installed a new ignition control module in the last few weeks, along with a new coil.

While I was checking and trying things today, I noticed that when I turned on the ignition key (but didnt start it)and listened to the pump activating, my fuel pressure would show 3 lbs. After it started it was showing around 60 lbs at an idle or rough idle. I dont recall but I didnt think my oil pressure was over 0 before startup and really didnt think it was over 40-45 at idle.

Therefore I pulled the connection off the oil pressure switch behind the distributor on the drivers side and started it. Oil pressure read 80 lbs but she seemed to run completely normal!

I am going to try this again and if it truely is running fine then I will go and replace the oil pressure switch and drive it a little bit. Keep your fingers crossed, & I will let you all know the final outcome soon.
Posted on: 2012/10/10 20:44

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22807 Posts

3 psi fuel pressure at startup is way too low. It shouldn't even start with that low of pressure. 60 while running is way too high. Something is amiss....either the test method or the fuel system.

As far as oil pressure, 40-45 at idle is great....no problem there. Not sure I understand the part about being over 0 at startup. It should be 0 with key on and slowly build pressure as you crank....then when it starts it will go to normal pressure. If your switch is fine at idle I don't think it needs to be replaced. And it won't affect the way the car runs.

Did you get a chance to do any other tests?
Posted on: 2012/10/10 21:26
Edited by Matatk on 2012/10/11 0:36:29

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:
3 psi fuel pressure at startup is way too low. It shouldn't even start with that low of pressure. 60 while running is way too high. Something is amiss....either the test method or the fuel system.

As far as oil pressure, 40-45 at idle is great....no problem there. Not sure I understand the part about being over 0 at startup. It should be 0around with key on and slowly build pressure as you crank....then when it starts it will go to normal pressure. If your switch is fine at idle I don't think it needs to be replaced. And it won't affect the way the car runs.

Did you get a chance to do any other tests?

Yes, don't replace the switch, it has zero to do with the way the car runs.

3 psi.- what Matt said, something in the testing or something in the fuel system.

When you turn the key on, you should see like 41-47 and it should hold for a few minutes. Start the engine - the f/p should drop 3-10 psi (due to vacuum on the regulator).
If you pull the vacuum line to the regulator, the f/p should return to 41-47.
Also is there's gas in the regulator vacuum line, the regulator needs replaced. And a bad regulator can cause a rough idle.

If the pressure drops off and then comes back when the engine starts, it may be the f/p regulator.
Posted on: 2012/10/10 22:05

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I am liking the FPR more and more... any bets the diaphram is shot?
Posted on: 2012/10/10 23:08

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22807 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:

See post 6.

We really need to get the whole picture, though. All the tests outlined above will tell us what is wrong.
Posted on: 2012/10/11 0:38

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:

Ya know, I just went thru this on my 5.3 Vortec, f/p @ 55, key on dropped to 10 in less than a minute.
Hard starting hot, really rough idle, hesitation.

A new reg and you could stand a nickel on edge on the motor at idle, starts on one revolution, etc.
Posted on: 2012/10/11 2:29

Guru Newb
Billings, Montana
14 Posts

Ok, bets are open!

Got side tracked with one of my daughters trip to the hospital this morning.... things are looking ok on this front.

Should get a chance later today to try a few things and see what is going on.

Thanks again for everyone's help!!!
Brian
Posted on: 2012/10/11 16:42

lunytnz Re: Running Rough & dying ..... Looks to be Fuel issue
Guru Newb
46 Posts

Quote:

BigSky wrote:

While I was checking and trying things today, I noticed that when I turned on the ignition key (but didnt start it)and listened to the pump activating, my fuel pressure would show 3 lbs. After it started it was showing around 60 lbs at an idle or rough idle.

Are you sure you're talking about FUEL pressure (read through a pressure gauge you attach to the schrader valve on the fuel rail -- right next to the fuel pressure regulator)? Or, are you talking about 3 lbs pressure reading on the dash for OIL pressure?

If you can start it again, and it runs for even 10 seconds, that means you have fuel pressure. Since others suspect the regulator, pull the vacuum hose off the regulator when there's pressure in the system and see if any fuel comes out of the regulator... give it a minute or two.

I totally understand your frustration...
Posted on: 2012/10/15 2:10

93greenback Re: Running Rough & dying ..... Looks to be Fuel issue
Guru Newb
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
2 Posts

I had a similar problem with my 1993. It started to lose power on the highway and about the time you could make your way over to the shoulder, Boom, it would come back to life. Then it started dying and you could immediately restart it. That got worse happened more often, took awhile to restart. Eventually died all the time and took forever to restart. I had immediately changed the fuel filter and then thought it was the fuel pump. The problem was, and a costly one, the omnispark or optispark whichever it is called. Fixed it and runs like a champ again. The omnispark acts kinda like a distributer. I'm no mechanic but picked up on this problem on the internet and I guess the omnispark is like an electrical brain, if it goes out the car is done until you fix it.
Posted on: 2012/10/15 23:53

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

No optispark on the 89...
Posted on: 2012/10/16 0:46

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22807 Posts

Updates?
Posted on: 2012/10/16 21:34

Guru Newb
Billings, Montana
14 Posts

Well like an idiot I tried to replace the oil pressure sensor and of course broke the top of it in the process and still havent gotten it out as I cant find a tool to get down over the sensor to the base to remove it. So it's disconnected but not removed yet.

So I wasted a lot of time jacking with that and it still is running crappy.

However, I finally got a good FUEL pressure gauge and here is what I found: not running but key on = 40 psi / running at idle = 37-38 psi. While it still is trying to die, the pressure went up to 40psi just before it was about to die. When I hit the gas pedel it would idle again and pressure returned to 38psi. What do you think of the pressures?

I havent tried anything else, but will try to figure out how to check the ohms of the injectors next.
Posted on: 2012/10/17 19:49

Guru Newb
Billings, Montana
14 Posts

Well, if I am checking my injectors correctly for an Ohm reading here is what I got: 13.9, 13.3, 12.7, 16.3, 12.9, 16.3, 15.3, 12.6.

however, while I was on the injector near #1 cyl, I saw a little hose maybe 3mm wide broken. it was broke where two of these hoses come together to one. then the hose snakes down to the area in front of the drivers side tire. when I traced it the other direction, part of it snapped off in my hand and it went to the bottom of the intake plentum.

Vacuum leak? Plus injectors getting bad???

Posted on: 2012/10/17 20:42

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

on the L98, the pressures are a bit lower... but that should allow it to run just fine.

I am still wondering if the IAC is properly set...

Posted on: 2012/10/17 21:46

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Ignore my post... that vacuum line is for the EGR... if it's leaking, all bets are off.

Also, the injectors are on their last legs. FIC is the only way to go!
Posted on: 2012/10/17 21:47

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22807 Posts

Fuel pressure looks ok. It might be like 1 or 2 psi lower than spec, I'll have to check the FSM when I get home for exact values. It should changes values when you accelerate/let off the gas because vacuum is changing in the FPR. That's normal. I'd be concerned if it did not change.

As far as the oil pressure sender, you might have to get a large sized crow foot wrench. I think I used a crescent wrench one time after removing the distributor.

Your injectors are without a doubt bad. You need to replace them. I recommend contacting FIC for replacements. Jon is very helpful and has his own section here. You can also get the new gaskets and a fuel rail oring kit along with them for a very fair price. Replacing those injectors should solve your running issues.

The hose that broke can easily be replaced with replacement vacuum hose from the parts store. I've had to replace several sections myself, they get brittle with heat/age. If I recall correctly that vacuum hose connects from the AIR system charcoal canister and when it splits it goes to the throttle body and the egr valve.

Matthew
Posted on: 2012/10/17 21:51

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22807 Posts

Andy and I were posting at the same time, so sorry for any duplicate info.
Posted on: 2012/10/17 21:52

Guru Newb
Billings, Montana
14 Posts

So, should I fix the vacuum hose first and continue to check for other vacuum leaks to start with before i replace the injectors?

With the injectors being a problem, what else should I be doing while I have to dismantle a fair amount to get those replaced? What injectors do you recommend?
Posted on: 2012/10/17 22:23

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Contact our supporting vendor, FIC, he will help you select the right injector for your application.

Fix and replace any bad vacuum lines... even with dying injectors, a bad vacuum line really becomes a wild card.

Posted on: 2012/10/17 22:48

Guru Newb
Billings, Montana
14 Posts

I also pulled off each injector's electrical connection one at a time and ran the engine after each was disconnected. My thought was that if it was a "bank fire" system and if one shorted then they may all be shorting. Unfortunately it didnt seem to make a difference at all.

Am I correct in thinking it has a bank fire fuel injection system instead of each injector firing individually?
Posted on: 2012/10/18 0:36

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22807 Posts

It is a batch fire system, actually. They all fire at the same time.

In my opinion, you can't really choose which item to fix "first" - both problems have to be addressed at the same time.

You will have to remove the plenum and runners to get the fuel rail off. I personally did the method of only removing the plenum and not the runners and pulling the rail out...it was actually more work and frustration than doing it the right way. Figure a good couple hours to R&R. Make sure you have a good T40 extended torx socket (I bought a snap on version on ebay for about $7 - worthwhile investment).

You'll also have access to that oil pressure sender while everything is apart.
Posted on: 2012/10/18 1:32

Guru Newb
Billings, Montana
14 Posts

So what else should I be doing while I am tearing the top end apart? Are there other sensors, actuators, etc., which "while I am in there", I should replace, update or upgrade or even move somewhere else? Are there any special gaskets I should use or are re-useable if I need to crack it open again? I am a big fan of doing it once, and doing it right..... or for me its usually overkill. LOL!

On the EGR vacuum line, it looks like it was originally a hard plastic line vs a rubber line, where do I locate replacements? Is it best to find the original style or just fabricate my own?

Also, Does anyone know what size sensor socket I need to remove the oil pressure sensor next to the distributor? I tried two different 1&1/16" sensor tools but couldnt even get it down over the sensor so I am assuming its a 1&1/8th or larger size. I really dont want to pull the distributor, and I didnt have much luck trying to remove the wiper motor.

Thanks!
Posted on: 2012/10/18 15:41

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

IIRC, the O2 Sensor socket will get the oil pressure sensor.

Use Felpro gaskets. They can be reused if careful and not stuck to things.

Use a new rubber line. The hard plastic fail.

I hate Torx bolts... I will find you a list of bolts that are available with allen heads.
Posted on: 2012/10/18 21:26

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22807 Posts

For ease of transaction, I would order the gasket set that Jon and FIC supplies with the replacement injectors. If not, I prefer Fel Pro if I'm buying it on my own. You can usually reuse them once if you have to take things off again, but I don't really do it over and over. It's cheap insurance to replace them. I don't see the point in replacing sensors that aren't broken. Especially since more aftermarket are not comparable in quality to the original gm. The EGR valve might be worth replacing but that's a personal choice.

I used hard lines to replace hard lines, soft lines to replace soft lines. I figure it's that way for a reason. Measure the exterior diameter of the line or better yet bring it with you and you buy it in a roll at any parts store for about $5. Use a bic lighter to straighten it and bend it to match the original.

The sensor is either 1 1/16 or 1 3/16. There are special sockets, you might be able to rent them at autozone or just purchase them.

Pulling the distributor isn't all that bad, especially with the correct wrench and a timing light. Put the motor on TDC, pull the cap, mark the dizzy against a point on the firewall and pull it. Replace it in the same orientation and you will be very close to original timing. Then disconnect the EST wire and reset it. You might find pulling the cap/wires alone gives you more room to work. And it's a good chance to inspect everything while you're in there.

Matthew
Posted on: 2012/10/18 23:21

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22807 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
IIRC, the O2 Sensor socket will get the oil pressure sensor.

Most O2 sockets are 7/8 and are too small.

Quote:

bogus wrote:
I hate Torx bolts... I will find you a list of bolts that are available with allen heads.

Changing the torx to allen caps is one of the best upgrades ever if you plan on working on your intake. You can buy kits predone online (ebay), or make your own kit like I had to for my superram. Just get the bolt sizes (check dictionary here on CG) and order from an online bolt supplier. I'll get the name of the place I ordered from if you're interested.
Posted on: 2012/10/18 23:24

Guru Newb
Billings, Montana
14 Posts

The problem has been found & fixed. Unfortunately no one got it right!!!
Posted on: 2012/10/22 20:00

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quote:

BigSky wrote:
The problem has been found & fixed. Unfortunately no one got it right!!!

Of what value is bragging about something none of us got right?

What was the fix?
Posted on: 2012/10/23 0:36

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Hey, BigSky, or should I just abbreviate... BS...

It isn't nice to beg for help and then run away without an explanation.

This way, if someone else has the same problem, they can learn from this thread.

Posted on: 2012/10/26 5:57

interpilot Re: Running Rough & dying ..... Looks to be Fuel issue
Guru Newb
st. paul, minnesota
42 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
Hey, BigSky, or should I just abbreviate... BS...

It isn't nice to beg for help and then run away without an explanation.

This way, if someone else has the same problem, they can learn from this thread.

wow! I followed this post to the bitter end, curious as to the solution. There was some great tech. analysis & suggestions. I find BS's final comment puzzling and totally inconsiderate. Hope he never gets code 33' .. 5 separate techs. including an engineer who worked for GM. on the ECU. design, never could figure it out. Want to hear the ultimate solution .. Stay Tuned'
Posted on: 2012/10/28 1:39

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I agree.
Posted on: 2012/10/28 3:37

Calm Re: Running Rough & dying ..... Looks to be Fuel issue
Senior Guru
Vancouver, Canada
608 Posts

He probably threw a match into it and bought a Prius.
Posted on: 2012/10/28 4:35
Edited by Calm on 2012/10/28 4:51:17

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.