Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
293 user(s) are online (239 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  TH700R4 / 4L60
Automatic Transmission - 4 Speed

1st Gear: 3.06
2nd Gear: 1.62
3rd Gear: 1.00
4th Gear: 0.70

Reverse: 2.29

- Used in production GM model...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

Angelsword LT-4 Double Row Timing Set
Guru Newb
Southeast of Disorder
6 Posts

Has any one replaced the single row set with a double row set? Cloyes is the only aftermarket set I have found. A bit pricey at $355.00…Without the need for a cam driven water pump gear, there must be others that will fit.
It’s just a small block Chevy…
Posted on: 2008/2/14 5:26
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

bogus RE:LT-4 Double Row Timing Set
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

good question... but there are other differences.

Cloyes and GMPP both offer the double roller for the LT4, IIRC.
Posted on: 2008/2/14 7:05

Notorious RE:LT-4 Double Row Timing Set
Elite Guru
Downbound train, NC
2184 Posts

On a '96 I'm not sure what you might run into re/ the crank sensor. But I do know that if necessary, it can be eliminated and programmed out of the PCM. Other than that, once you eliminate the water pump drive, you can use the Cloyes 9-3145 which is under $100. It's what I have in my '95.
Posted on: 2008/2/14 13:44

pianoguy RE:LT-4 Double Row Timing Set
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Cloyes is good stuff - I used to put them in my Pontiacs 30+ years ago after the factory timing set failed (which they always did).
Posted on: 2008/2/14 14:54

Angelsword RE:LT-4 Double Row Timing Set
Guru Newb
Southeast of Disorder
6 Posts

Thanks for the feedback guys.
Notorious, I was not sure what you thought could interfere with the crank sensor. So, I took a walk out to my shop…You’re right. A double row sprocket might move the reluctor ring out of sight of the sensor. I’ll take some careful measurements before I make a decision.

Bogus, you mentioned “other differences”, am I overlooking something else?

Pianoguy, thanks for the endorsement of Cloyes. I’ve used their timing sets on fast revving Ford small blocks without problems.

Thanks again! I’ll confirm with my favorite source for such information…Summit Racing…and let ya'll know what I find.
Posted on: 2008/2/15 2:06

Elite Guru
Downbound train, NC
2184 Posts

Quote:

Pianoguy, thanks for the endorsement of Cloyes. I’ve used their timing sets on fast revving Ford small blocks without problems.

Back in the 80s, I raced a Ford stock car on dirt for a few years. I used a Cloyes DR in my 351 Cleveland engines. Although I used more than one engine over those years, the same Cloyes timing set was used over and over again in each engine. Needless to say, when I need a timing set, it's always a Cloyes.
Posted on: 2008/2/15 2:20

Josh RE:LT-4 Double Row Timing Set
Guru
Raleigh, NC
666 Posts

For the cam gear, you'll have to clearance the inside of the timing cover.
Posted on: 2008/2/15 3:53

smooth RE:LT-4 Double Row Timing Set
Senior Guru
Formerly "Aquavet" in Pa.
386 Posts

Quote:
On a '96 I'm not sure what you might run into re/ the crank sensor. But I do know that if necessary, it can be eliminated and programmed out of the PCM. Other than that, once you eliminate the water pump drive, you can use the Cloyes 9-3145 which is under $100. It's what I have in my '95.

...Well now I'm confused. if you go to summit and check the specs for a 94-96, it sends you to the 9-3151 which is the $355 one. And in the notes section says
"Timing chain has a 1/2 in. pitch. Can be installed on Generation 1 LT1, if the OptiSpark is updated to the new, second design. This will require new ignition, new front cover, and cam change to second design cam, the nose is different. The older OptiSpark"
It makes no note of the crank sensor issue. Why would you even bother with this one in the first place? It sounds like you have to spend more than just the $355 to make it work.Is the one you noted (9-3145) just a heavy duty direct swap in for the 94-96 LT1? "cause if it is, sounds like a no brainer. But Summitt's site says that this part (9-3145) is for Gen I engine family and "won't clear the plastic timimg cover" ?
WHAT GIVES?
Posted on: 2008/2/15 4:53

LT4BUD RE:LT-4 Double Row Timing Set
Guru
52 Posts

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback guys.
Notorious, I was not sure what you thought could interfere with the crank sensor. So, I took a walk out to my shop…You’re right. A double row sprocket might move the reluctor ring out of sight of the sensor. I’ll take some careful measurements before I make a decision.

The Cloye's double roller works with an electric water pump. On the LT4 the best way is to remove the reluctor ring and reprogram to ignore misfire signals...PCMforLess did mine. The double roller and reluctor ring will not work together on the LT4 as they are manufactured.

This is what I did, much better than the single roller and stock waterpump....plus as you have found out, you get the double roller/electric water pump for the price of the single roller set

BTW if you are not talking about a LT4 the above is not going to be true. A upgraded LT1 will be different....I don't see where you say what you are actually dealing with??? I assumed it is a 96 LT4
Posted on: 2008/2/15 14:34

MK 82 RE:LT-4 Double Row Timing Set
Senior Guru
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
439 Posts

You can get the LT4 timing set with both gears and a water pump drive for about $250. I have never heard of a failure of this setup in a street application. When I do my new cam, this is what i will use. I prefer to stay with the stock water pump.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdet ... mp;N=115&autoview=sku
Posted on: 2008/2/16 2:43

Elite Guru
Downbound train, NC
2184 Posts

Quote:
You can get the LT4 timing set with both gears and a water pump drive for about $250. I have never heard of a failure of this setup in a street application. When I do my new cam, this is what i will use. I prefer to stay with the stock water pump.

Nothing wrong with that if that's your preference. But single roller sets will stretch more and sooner than a DR set-up, thus altering your cam timing. And if you're worried about the reliability of an electric water pump, my HD Meziere is still going strong at 32K miles and counting. And if they do ever fail, they won't puke coolant onto your opti as a mechanical pump will. This is but one of the many advantages of an EWP.
Posted on: 2008/2/16 3:13

MK 82 RE:LT-4 Double Row Timing Set
Senior Guru
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
439 Posts

Hah!! You're not getting me in that debate. Made up my mind and that's that!!

:thumbleft: :thumbright:
Posted on: 2008/2/16 5:21

JAKE266 RE:LT-4 Double Row Timing Set
Guru Newb
Kempner, Texas
22 Posts

I went with the Cloyes set from Summit and left everything else as stock; water pump, reluctor, etc.

I considered going with an electric W/P, but decided against it, even though I had already bought a Cloyes True-Roller set. I just sold the T/R to another Forum member who was happy to get it at such a super price.

Jake
Posted on: 2008/2/16 23:00

Angelsword RE:LT-4 Double Row Timing Set
Guru Newb
Southeast of Disorder
6 Posts

Aquavet, I’m still suffering some confusion also…I’ve seen some traffic about this same question on another forum, and I still have no clear answer.

LT4BUD has the best answer I’ve seen so far.

The Meziere is ready to be installed. I hadn’t considered a new timing set until took a good look at the one I took out. About 50,000 miles on a 383 that was built in 96, when the car was new….By the way, LT4BUD, if it’s an LT4, it can only be a 96.

I’ll keep ya’ll posted on what I finally do…maybe I’ll respond to the thread on that other forum..maybe.
Posted on: 2008/2/19 0:37

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.