Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
214 user(s) are online (192 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Transverse Leaf Spring
(TLS) A design first used by Chevrolet in the 1963 Corvette with independent rear suspension. When centrally mounted, it functions similarly to two ...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

captmike13 Wednesday 29 April 2015
Elite Guru
Hillsboro Mo
2166 Posts

Morning gang.

Looks like it will be a nice day here. Mostly cloudy and temps in the upper 50's.

Word of the day is cacophonous.

Today is NATIONAL SHRIMP SCAMPI DAY

National Shrimp Scampi Day is celebrated annually on April 29th. On this day we honor the delicious dish of shrimp cooked with butter, garlic, lemon juice and white wine.

“Scampi is a culinary name for a kind of small lobster known as Nephrops norvegicus, Norway lobster, Dublin Bay prawn, langoustine or ”true scampi”. The name is often used to loosely describe a style of preparation typical for this lobster.”

Enjoy your favorite Shrimp Scampi dish to celebrate!

Following is a link to a “tried and true” Shrimp Scampi recipe:
http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/shrimp_scampi/

NATIONAL SHRIMP SCAMPI DAY HISTORY

Our research failed to find the creator of National Shrimp Scampi Day, an “unofficial” National holiday.

NATIONAL ZIPPER DAY

National Zipper Day is observed each year on April 29th. This day celebrates something that we often do not think about and just automatically take for granted.

It was first in 1851 that Elias Howe, the inventor of the sewing machine, received a patent for an “Automatic, Continuous Clothing Closure”. Howe did not market it and missed the recognition he may have received for his invention.

Forty two years later, Whitcomb Judson marketed the “Clasp Locker”. Being very similar to Elias Howe’s patent, this device served as a more complicated hook-and-eye shoe fastener. Judson started the Universal Fastener Company where he manufactured his new device and debuted it at the Chicago World’s Fair in 1893 but was met with little success. This did give Judson credit for inventing the zipper as he was the first person to market it.

In 1906, Giden Sundback, a Swedish American electrical engineer, was hired to work Universal Fastener Company. His good technical skills, design skills and devotion to the company led to his designing of the modern zipper in 1913. The patent for the “Separable Fastener was issued in 1917.

In 1923, the B.F. Goodrich Company named the popular zipper.

** You can find the world’s longest zipper at the hotel in Fort Lauderdale’s Executive Airport. The zipper measures 6,000 feet long. The name of the hotel’s nightclub is “Zippers”. **

NATIONAL ZIPPER DAY HISTORY

Our research was unable to find the creator of National Zipper Day, an “unofficial” National holiday.

NATIONAL PEACE ROSE DAY

Each year on April 29th we celebrate National Peace Rose Day. The day is set aside to honor the Peace rose, a well-known and successful garden rose.

The light yellow to cream-colored large flowers of the Peace rose have slightly flushed crimson pink petal edges. It is a hybrid tea rose that is hardy, vigorous and highly resistant to disease.

French horticulturist Francis Meilland, developed the Peace rose between 1935 and 1939. When Meilland foresaw the German invasion of France, to protect the new rose, he sent cutting to his friends in Italy, Turkey, Germany and the United States. It is believed that these cuttings were sent to the United States on the last plane that was available before the German invasion.

The rose received different names in each country it was sent to. In France, it was called “Madame A. Meilland” in honor of the breeder’s mother. In Italy, it is call Gioia, meaning Joy. In Germany, the name of the rose is Gloria Dei, for glory to god. In the United States, the rose was named Peace.

The day that Berlin fell, officially considered the end of the Second World War in Europe, was the day that the trade name “Peace” was publicly announced, as the name of the rose, in the United States which was on April 29, 1945.

Later in 1945, Peace roses were given to each delegate at the inaugural meeting of the United Nations, in San Francisco, with a note that read: “We hope the “Peace” rose will influence men’s thoughts for everlasting world peace”.

NATIONAL PEACE ROSE DAY HISTORY

Our research was unable to find the creator of National Peace Rose Day, an “unofficial” National holiday.

Let's all try and have a good day.
Posted on: 2015/4/29 10:27

captmike13@yahoo.com
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

TommyT-Bone Re: Wednesday 29 April 2015
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33779 Posts

Alright, who read the word of the day correctly the first time they read it. (I still haven't figured out the who or whom thing.) I read cak-o-phone-us till I said to myself ka-cough-on-us. Now the challenge. Make sure you use cacophonous in a sentence sometime during the day. Actually that should become part of our daily routine. Use the word of the day the day you see it. Amaze your friends. lol
Posted on: 2015/4/29 11:48
Edited by TommyT-Bone on 2015/4/29 12:05:08

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33779 Posts

I think I'll go take a cacophonous movement.

Start the day off on a high note ............

Posted on: 2015/4/29 11:52

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33779 Posts

Rained with added light shows and sound effects throughout the night. It will bring some welcome relief after having record breaking warmth. We had highs in the high 90's a couple of days ago. Mid 80 highs are expected through Friday with a Saturday high of 82 and humidity of a measly 15%. ..... Bravo! ...... Bra-vo! ......
Posted on: 2015/4/29 12:04

teebee Re: Wednesday 29 April 2015
2014 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Lakin, Kansas 67860
12378 Posts

Morning guys...early morning meeting. Got to go.
Posted on: 2015/4/29 12:16

One of Americas' proud Deplorable

Resized Image

pianoguy Re: Wednesday 29 April 2015
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Entïio!

Nice and sunny out there today, makes getting up early a little easier. It was cloudy last night, but still quite pleasant for our first night of golf league. Plenty rusty, lots of ups and downs. Managed to miss an 8-foot eagle putt on the last hole, just to top things off.

I think I've seen the word cacophonous most often used when someone is describing the sound when standing at the starting line of a top fuel drag race.

Have a delightful day, Gurus!
Posted on: 2015/4/29 12:19

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33779 Posts

Quote:

teebee wrote:
early morning meeting. Got to go.

Fixt.
Posted on: 2015/4/29 13:06

Matatk Re: Wednesday 29 April 2015
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22807 Posts

Good Morning CGs!

Have to drop RR#1 off at school, then head to the folks' house for a few small repairs I couldn't do yesterday.

Car is pissing power steering fluid so that's the leak I found last week. Cheap part, pia job the fix the high pressure line.

Hope everyone has a great day!

Matthew
Posted on: 2015/4/29 13:20

Ultraman Re: Wednesday 29 April 2015
2015 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Huskerland
14764 Posts

Missed an eagle putt......were you playing on a par 3 course? Holy cow.......out here when we play pasture pool a birdie is reason to buy rounds of beer for everyone.....

It is fairly common knowledge out here that I like to listen to Radio Disney on XM......the music is so.....happy.
....and there is a good variety and not a lot of C rap...
anyway this is one of my favorites right now....I dedicate it to my bride of 32 years.....which the day is coming right up.....Ya and its been good lass.....

Go forth and make a cacophonous noise today Guru's.....but not it the bathroom.....
Posted on: 2015/4/29 14:15

Vote DeSantis in 2024.... Make the IRS go away...

GRIS Re: Wednesday 29 April 2015
Elite Guru
OKLAHOMA
7693 Posts

SUNNY AND COOL IN THE NATIONS THIS MORNING, 45 DEGREES WHEN I GOT UP, GONNA BE A REALLY PRETTY DAY WITH 75 THE HIGH. THE CHEROKEES ARE PLEASED.

HERE'S THE CATCH OF THE DAY:

http://newsok.com/man-catches-biggest ... -oklahoma/article/5414570

THEY DON'T SAY HOW HE CAUGHT IT, APPEARS TO BE LAYING ON A SEINE???

AND ON THE CUTTING EDGE OF POLITICAL CORRECTITUDE THE BALTIMORE CITY COUNCIL PRESIDENT HAS THAT RIOTERS ARE NOT "THUGS" BUT RATHER "MISGUIDED YOUTH".

AWW, AIN'T THAT SWEET?
Posted on: 2015/4/29 14:43

---"yellow is for folks who think a bright red Corvette is too restrained."

teebee Re: Wednesday 29 April 2015
2014 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Lakin, Kansas 67860
12378 Posts

Well, it's been a busy morning. Weather appears to be pretty good outside, it started off chilly (38) but has warmed nicely. Not much wind either.

Gris, that gar doesn't look to be 8 foot long, maybe that's not a picture of the actual fish. I caught a gar in southeast Kansas back in the late 60's or early 70's. weird looking creatures and you don't want to stuck your hand in their mouth either.
Posted on: 2015/4/29 16:42

One of Americas' proud Deplorable

Resized Image

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33779 Posts

GRIS,
That seine net resembles a stretcher. Speaking of a stretcher, that 8' measurement seems like a stretch. Not that a fisherman would ever lie ......... We have lots and lots of alligator gar in the glades. Mostly they taste like mud but rumor has it the natives know how to prepare it so it's edible.
Posted on: 2015/4/29 19:17

GRIS Re: Wednesday 29 April 2015
Elite Guru
OKLAHOMA
7693 Posts

Quote:

teebee wrote:
Gris, that gar doesn't look to be 8 foot long, maybe that's not a picture of the actual fish. I caught a gar in southeast Kansas back in the late 60's or early 70's. weird looking creatures and you don't want to stuck your hand in their mouth either.

CAN'T TESTIFY TO THE LENGTH, BUT I'D NOT WANT TO GO SWIMMING WITH IT. I HAVE CAUGHT THEM YEARS AGO WHEN I WAS A KID. THE LONG NOSE GAR PUT ON A REAL SHOW BUT THE ALLIGATOR GAR WERE KINDA SLUGGISH, A LOT LIKE SNAGGING A LOG.

TOMMY, IN OKLAHOMA WE COOK GAR SPREAD OUT ON A BOARD SET UP FACING AN OPEN FIRE. WHEN IT'S DONE WE EAT THE BOARD :-)
Posted on: 2015/4/29 20:29

---"yellow is for folks who think a bright red Corvette is too restrained."

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33779 Posts

One of my former co-workers slammed the door on an attempted robbery at the post office. A little shaken but doing well after foiling their plot. He's got almost 40 years in by now. I think I'd be moving to a safer office or putting in my retirement papers. Come to think of it, if I was him, I'd be putting in my papers.

http://www.wsvn.com/story/28931739/ar ... ailed-post-office-robbery
Posted on: 2015/4/29 20:31

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33779 Posts

Quote:

GRIS wrote:
TOMMY, IN OKLAHOMA WE COOK GAR SPREAD OUT ON A BOARD SET UP FACING AN OPEN FIRE. WHEN IT'S DONE WE EAT THE BOARD :-)

Posted on: 2015/4/29 20:34

pianoguy Re: Wednesday 29 April 2015
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Bravo to your former co-worker, Tommy!
Posted on: 2015/4/30 2:58

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.