Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
141 user(s) are online (125 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Dana 44
This references the rear differential.

The Dana 36 was the smaller unit. It was used on all 1984 Corvettes, and all automatic Corvettes thru 1996...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

TOO_HOTT Installed HID fogs
Guru Newb
25 Posts

I finally got my HID fogs. I must say I'm quite pleased with how they turned out.

[IMG]http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/TCBdaKING/HIDVette235.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/TCBdaKING/HIDVette236.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/TCBdaKING/HIDVette237.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/TCBdaKING/HIDVette238.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/TCBdaKING/HIDVette239.jpg[/IMG]
Posted on: 2008/5/1 4:37
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

bogus Re: Installed HID fogs
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

tell me more.
Posted on: 2008/5/1 6:07

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

red_johnny Re: Installed HID fogs
On Sabbatical
Augusta, GA (85 383 stroker)
3213 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
tell me more.
I never heard of these but am very interested now! Do you have some before and after pics?
Posted on: 2008/5/1 11:24

TommyT-Bone Re: Installed HID fogs
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

What was it that prompted you to getting them?
Posted on: 2008/5/1 11:42

Matatk Re: Installed HID fogs
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22804 Posts

They are very bright. Do you plan on putting HIDs in the headlights, too?

I just have the upgraded fog and headlights and I'm happy with those. I'd like to hear some more about your HIDs, though.

Matthew
Posted on: 2008/5/1 12:49

TOO_HOTT Re: Installed HID fogs
Guru Newb
25 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
tell me more.

I have seen a few other late model C4 on the net with them and I was impressed by the light output. We all know that the C4 is not known for their lighting...

I decided to do the fogs first to see how it looked, light quality, kit quality, and ease of installation.

I ordered a kit that directly replaces the 880 halogen bulb in the late model C4. The HID bulb in the kit will twist in the housing just like the OEM halogen. The only thing is that the base of the bulb has a few different diameter gaskets (maybe for bulb socket housing differences in other makes). These are at the bulb base and I just cut away the one I didn't need and left one in place. With the two gaskets in place (they are stacked) it's too thick and wouldn't let me twist the bulb in.

It comes with slim ballasts and in almost 100% plug and play. With the exception being..the wires powering the ballasts. For some reason this kit came with two push pins instead of the weatherpack plug that would just plug into the vehicle plug where the old Halogen pluged in. (Maybe the various manufacturer deal?) Though I have seen kits that the supply has the male plug that just plugs in. I just pushed the pins in the OEM plug and wrapped it with electrical tape.

Drivers side
[IMG]http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/TCBdaKING/Humberto-Vette184.jpg[/IMG]

passenger side
[IMG]http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/TCBdaKING/Humberto-Vette185.jpg[/IMG]

Pins pushed into OEM plug
[IMG]http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/TCBdaKING/Humberto-Vette188-1.jpg[/IMG]
Posted on: 2008/5/2 3:50

bogus Re: Installed HID fogs
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

from where does one get this? Is it a standard pepboys part? or mail order? How much, may I ask?

Thanks for the info!!! I am gonna have to check this out!
Posted on: 2008/5/2 4:01

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Guru Newb
25 Posts

Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:
What was it that prompted you to getting them?

I wanted to improve the lighting and also at dusk, before it gets real dark, I used to like using the "driving" lights. With the HID it really improves the vehicle visibility (people see you)

I chose a 5000K color temp which is very white, NOT blue. The blue actualy puts out less visible light. They are only 35 watts, put out more lumens, use less power and are cooler as compared to the OEM halogens.

I'm not concerned of the glare affecting other drivers because the OEM housing relectors seem to aim the beam pattern low enough as to not shine into a vehicle. The beam pattern seems to cut off very flat at the top.
Though they seem bright enough to be used as primary lighting, I would not recommend it because of the afore mentioned beam pattern being very low. This pattern does what it was designed to do, light up right in front of the car to better see the road in foggy weather without having the light glare back at you.
Posted on: 2008/5/2 4:06

Guru Newb
25 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
from where does one get this? Is it a standard pepboys part? or mail order? How much, may I ask?

Thanks for the info!!! I am gonna have to check this out!

For some reason these HID kits seem only to be available on the net or thru e-bay.

This is the place I got my kit www.v-leds.com I specified the kit for 880 bulbs at 5000K color temp

In case some of you don't know..HID stands for High Intensity Discharge. These lights don't use a filiment like traditional lighting. It shoots an electrical arc between to points in the bulb which is filled with a gas (like xenon) and has metal particles that vaporize when lit making the intense glow of the lamp.

This is a true HID system. There is a reason the higher end cars use HID...I was really impressed. This is a Major improvement. I'm sure like anything else..as more people make them, the cheaper they'll become. It wont be long before all cars use this lighting.

The whole thing cost me about $162.00 including shipping. I chose the brand because of feed back from others. The quality looks good. Apparantly alot of HID kits are made in China and they are all over E-bay..so unless you know somebody that has firsthand experience..you are taking chances with the other HID brands..I personally may have chosen another brand if someone had good experience with it. I don't think I would buy a system unless I had this kind of feedback. Thank goodness some folks just go ahead and try, this way they we find out whats crap and whats good

I'm most probably going to do the headlights next. This is going to require me to replace the sealed beem to a housing like the ones in the Vette catalogs that uses the H4 bulbs This company (as most) has two options for the HID H4 bulbs. A single beam (low bem only) or a dual (you can use low and switch to high beams) The single beam is the same price as the fog kit and the dual is 50 bucks more.

The common glare issues are from people with single headlight systems (like our C4) getting single beam systems and losing the distance that the high beam gave them. They aim the lights slightly higher.

The OEM lights have a higher wattage high beam filiment that is also placed further back in the lens. This further back position is what make the beam pattern change to "throw" the light higher and farther down the road.

The dual HID lights dont use filaments so they use a solinoid to move the bulb back in the lens to give you the high beam when you switch. Since HID lights are MUCH brighter..this feature will enable me to aim my lights lower so that I won't blind people, and still be able to switch to high beams.

The only issue that I am aware of in converting the C4 headlights to HID is...It requires some sort of jumper in the fuse panel (I have seen the install on another forum)

The reason you need a jumper at the fuse panel is because the C4 fog lights are somehow wired thru the High beam filiment. (Ever wonder why the fogs turn off when you hit the high beams?) Since the HID lights don't use filiments, let alone two, you will lose the use of the fogs. So by using a jumper (following the directions-which I have to find) you regain the use of the fogs and with the added bonus of being able to use them with low or high beams.

So as soon as I decide which system..I most likely will have HID headlights too.
Posted on: 2008/5/2 4:38
Edited by TOO_HOTT on 2008/5/2 4:56:39
Edited by TOO_HOTT on 2008/5/2 4:59:48

Guru Newb
25 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:
They are very bright. Do you plan on putting HIDs in the headlights, too?

I just have the upgraded fog and headlights and I'm happy with those. I'd like to hear some more about your HIDs, though.

Matthew

Did you upgrade to true HID? (meaning that they use a ballast/transformer) Or did you swap HID "look" bulbs?

If you have true HID, what kits did you get and where?
Posted on: 2008/5/2 4:41

LD85 Re: Installed HID fogs
Master Guru
Indianapolis, Indiana
784 Posts

Darn you! Now I have another mod to do in my "not so" spare time!

I like this a lot!
Posted on: 2008/5/2 11:52

Matatk Re: Installed HID fogs
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22804 Posts

Quote:

TOO_HOTT wrote:

Did you upgrade to true HID? (meaning that they use a ballast/transformer) Or did you swap HID "look" bulbs?

If you have true HID, what kits did you get and where?

No, I don't have HIDs. I have the higher wattage fog lights and I have the H4(?) upgraded headlights with the plastic housings.

As far as the jumper, when I did the upgraded lights I had to cut and reground my fog lights because when they were on they grounded through the high beam and there was a faint glow in the dash. I am wondering if you can just do the same for yours and not worry about the "jumper" you are talking about. Something to look into.

Matthew
Posted on: 2008/5/2 13:18

92LRC Re: Installed HID fogs
Guru Newb
Weston, FL
88 Posts

Quote:

TOO_HOTT wrote:
Quote:

bogus wrote:
tell me more.

I have seen a few other late model C4 on the net with them and I was impressed by the light output. We all know that the C4 is not known for their lighting...

I decided to do the fogs first to see how it looked, light quality, kit quality, and ease of installation.

I ordered a kit that directly replaces the 880 halogen bulb in the late model C4. The HID bulb in the kit will twist in the housing just like the OEM halogen. The only thing is that the base of the bulb has a few different diameter gaskets (maybe for bulb socket housing differences in other makes). These are at the bulb base and I just cut away the one I didn't need and left one in place. With the two gaskets in place (they are stacked) it's too thick and wouldn't let me twist the bulb in.

It comes with slim ballasts and in almost 100% plug and play. With the exception being..the wires powering the ballasts. For some reason this kit came with two push pins instead of the weatherpack plug that would just plug into the vehicle plug where the old Halogen pluged in. (Maybe the various manufacturer deal?) Though I have seen kits that the supply has the male plug that just plugs in. I just pushed the pins in the OEM plug and wrapped it with electrical tape.

How did you power up the ballast?

This looks great and I'm seriously thinking about the complete upgrade since I've always thought that the stock lights are as close to useless as you can get.

Nice avatar by the way.
Thanks
Posted on: 2008/6/14 14:08

Guru Newb
25 Posts

The ballasts power up through the Stock plug for the fog lamps. Check out the pictures I posted in this thread.

Hey..Your in Weston..we're practically nieghbors..
Posted on: 2008/6/15 0:43

captmike13 Re: Installed HID fogs
Elite Guru
Hillsboro Mo
2165 Posts

Here's a bit of info for those with early c4's. The fogs do not turn off when the high beams are turned on. It is this way for my 85.

Mike
Posted on: 2008/6/15 5:13

captmike13@yahoo.com

Mekanic Re: Installed HID fogs
Registered Vendor
Tampa Bay Florida
827 Posts

With how great that looks, I think I may go with this once I get some money coming in again.

The price is amazing.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ULTRA- ... ihZ020QQitemZ300228215060
Posted on: 2008/6/15 10:31

Yea tho I walk through the valley in the shadow of rice, I shall fear no turbo, for torque art with me.

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.