Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
305 user(s) are online (259 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Sheet Molded Compound
Also known as SMC.

This is the stuff that all C4 Corvettes are made of.

It’s similar to fiberglass, but much more durable.

The only issu...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

Subman Replacing valve stem seals
Guru Newb
WHITTIER, CA
35 Posts

91 L98 with Auto trans - 142,000 on the clock.
Notice some smoke when starting after over night parking about a month or so ago. A necessary pickup coil replacment (the car just quit) gave me the reason and time to pull a compression test. 218-220#'s on 1,2,3,5,6,8. 212#'s on 4 and 208#'s on 7. All dry, and after running SeaFoam through it a week before. It is now smoking on start up after sitting for 3 or 4 hours and occasionally if I am sitting in traffic. I installed 2 separate switches to turn on the fans so I don't typically let the car get any hotter than 200* and never let the fans come on by them selves.
So all of this leads me to believe that I could use some new seals. I have seen a pneumatic insert to keep the valves in place while you remove the keepers and springs to replace the seals. After replacing every thing, release the air pressure and move on to the next cylinder.
Since I have never used one of these tools, I'm just looking for tips and tricks on using one, or reasons for NOT using one. I have always pulled the heads, sent 'em for machine work, and reinstalled complete. I could do that now, but would rather not as it's a daily driver and I don't have the time to dick around with it.
So - If any one has experience doing this with the heads still on the car, I'd appreciate hearing from you!
T.I.A.
Subman
Posted on: 2008/6/25 7:01
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

toptechx6 Re: Replacing valve stem seals
Senior Guru
south Florida
362 Posts

Sounds like you have a good concept of the process already and depending on the type of compression tester you were using, you may already have the tool for holding the valves up.
The compression gauge adapter hose that screws into the spark plug hole is commonly used to put air in each cylinder. Remove the spark plug and rocker arms from the first cylinder to be repaired, next remove the schrader valve from the end of the adapter hose and screw it into the cylinder to be worked on. Before the next step be certain there is nothing near the pulleys and belts on the front of the engine because the engine may rotate a partial revolution once air is applied. Finally attach your shop air hose quick disconnect to the test adapter hose instead of the compression gauge. You will hear some minor leakage past he rings but should not hear air rushing out of the cylinder, STOP if you do until you figure out why, the valves will NOT stay up if there is severe leakage!
The valves should now be held closed so you can use a spring compressor to remove the keepers and retainers. See the link for different types of compressors that work without removing the head.

http://www.mytoolstore.com/kd/kdengi1 ... KGZuKSVj5QCFQyenAodGVjphQ

Either the lever type (912)or screw type (2078) should work, sometimes handle clearance can be a problem using the lever types however.
When you finish replacing the seals on the first cylinder's valves reinstall the springs retainers and keepers, disconnect the air hose and move on the the next. Feel free to ask if that isn't clear, good luck.
Posted on: 2008/6/25 8:59

khhammer Re: Replacing valve stem seals
Guru Newb
3 Posts

I have used the compressor method before but am not a huge fan. If the piston is not at the bottom and you apply air the piston at anytime can rotate to the bottom. If this happens and you have removed the keepers the valve can drop. Or if you do not have a great seal around the valves (with 212 it appears you do) it can break the seal and again drop. The method that I like is a pain but have never had any problems with it. I crank (by hand) the piston to the bottom then insert a thin rope into the cylinder. once there is a decent amount in the cylinder, I then (by hand) rotate the piston up to the top as high as it will go. The rope will hold both valves in place while you replace the valve stem seals and any fear of a valve dropping is gone.

Just my two cents. Good luck.
Posted on: 2008/6/25 12:09

volzfan Re: Replacing valve stem seals
Senior Guru
Kingsport, TN
306 Posts

I replaced mine back in the winter using the "rope" method, as khammer describes. It's a little more trouble, but the upside is that you already have the piston close to TDC, so re-adjusting the valves can be done right then, as you do each cylinder. May seem a crude method, but it works!
Posted on: 2008/6/25 13:20

BillH Re: Replacing valve stem seals
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Good excuse to buy a leakdown tester. Then you'll have 2 tools for the price of one.
Posted on: 2008/6/25 14:24

CentralCoaster Re: Replacing valve stem seals
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

What does new seals accomplish if the valve guides are worn?
Posted on: 2008/6/25 18:54

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Quote:

khhammer wrote:
I have used the compressor method before but am not a huge fan. If the piston is not at the bottom and you apply air the piston at anytime can rotate to the bottom. If this happens and you have removed the keepers the valve can drop.

Can't you just leave the car in gear?

Also it surprises me you need a rope at tdc and the piston itself isn't high enough to let the valve sit on it.
Posted on: 2008/6/25 18:56

Subman Re: Replacing valve stem seals
Guru Newb
WHITTIER, CA
35 Posts

Good question CC. This is one of those times when you hope that the Gods have smiled down on you. However, with everything that I had to replace or rebuild last year, it's iffy.

Thanks to all who replied. The Guru kinda reminds me of the other place 4 or 5 years ago.
Good folks with, normally, good advice.

Subman
Posted on: 2008/6/26 3:39

Jeffvette Re: Replacing valve stem seals
Elite Guru
Not on CF
1297 Posts

Quote:

khhammer wrote:
I have used the compressor method before but am not a huge fan. If the piston is not at the bottom and you apply air the piston at anytime can rotate to the bottom. If this happens and you have removed the keepers the valve can drop.

I have never, I mean never ever had that happen to me in all my time of changing out springs or valve seals with the heads on the motor. And that is with the motor in the car or sitting on an engine stand. I don't think I have ever had the balancer move period. How much compressed air are you guys putting through your hoses?????

And as far as a tool to make the job easier, check out crane #99473-1.
Posted on: 2008/6/26 5:34

Guru Newb
3 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:

Also it surprises me you need a rope at tdc and the piston itself isn't high enough to let the valve sit on it.

If that were true then niether method (air or rope) is needed. Just put the piston at TDC and remove the keepers.
Posted on: 2008/6/26 7:50

Guru Newb
3 Posts

Quote:

Jeffvette wrote:
Quote:

khhammer wrote:

I have never, I mean never ever had that happen to me in all my time of changing out springs or valve seals with the heads on the motor. And that is with the motor in the car or sitting on an engine stand. I don't think I have ever had the balancer move period. How much compressed air are you guys putting through your hoses?????

crane #99473-1 = $100
Air compressor = $$$

Nylon rope (clothes line) = $5

I can see buying the Crane tool if this was something you planned on doing often, but for the "once or twice guy" that's kind of pricey.

I am glad that it has never happened to you. As I stated "it can" not "it will". Again thinking about the guy that has never done it before, too little or too much air can become an issue. The rope method (if even needed) works well and anybody can do it for just a few bucks and it reduces the screw up factor.
Posted on: 2008/6/26 8:20

anesthes Re: Replacing valve stem seals
Master Guru
Boston, MA
646 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:

If you use viton positive seals it will keep it from smoking long enough to sell. (about 3 weeks, or 300 miles)

-- Joe
Posted on: 2008/6/26 11:15

Master Guru
Boston, MA
646 Posts

Quote:

khhammer wrote:
Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:

If that were true then niether method (air or rope) is needed. Just put the piston at TDC and remove the keepers.

You'll never compress the spring enough to get the keepers off / put the keepers back on. I always just use the compressor. 125psi to the cyl and the piston immediately goes down, compress, remove keepers, and so on.

-- Joe
Posted on: 2008/6/26 11:20

BillH Re: Replacing valve stem seals
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

Jeffvette wrote:
Quote:

khhammer wrote:

I've had this happen quite a bit but not when doing seals. I haven't done seals this way in a long time but I remember that the pressure was fairly low.

I get it a lot doing leakdowns which run at 100 psi to make reading the gauge easier.
Posted on: 2008/6/26 14:39

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Quote:

anesthes wrote:
If you use viton positive seals it will keep it from smoking long enough to sell. (about 3 weeks, or 300 miles)

-- Joe

Note to self: Don't buy used cars from anesthes.
Posted on: 2008/6/26 16:40

volzfan Re: Replacing valve stem seals
Senior Guru
Kingsport, TN
306 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
Quote:

anesthes wrote:

-- Joe

Note to self: Don't buy used cars from anesthes.

Or, if you do, at least check to see if the valve covers had been recently removed and re-installed! :tongue:
Posted on: 2008/6/26 17:35

Master Guru
Boston, MA
646 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:

Note to self: Don't buy used cars from anesthes. [/quote]

Heh. I'm out of that business now.

-- Joe
Posted on: 2008/6/27 12:15

hulagan808 Re: Replacing valve stem seals
Guru
hawaii, maui
58 Posts

the nylon rope is my favorite diy method but the real catch is to tap the top edge of the spring compressor tool finger with a small hammer to release the stem locks or risk pushing the valve to hard. also use a valve sleeve (pennies)and seal install tool (top of old valve stem is sharp), (can dress w/ file)or your new seals will be trash, make sure seals aren't causing the springs to bind. some positive seals need guide machining to sit low and tight so check wich type of seal.
this is a marginal short term fix though best results with bad guides are to also use valve spring shields on all springs, usually only intake springs have them. Aloha
Posted on: 2008/6/28 7:47

Guru
hawaii, maui
58 Posts

I don't like to push my valves bare against the pistons so the rope works without any chance of ANY problems, just melt cut end of nylon rope first Aloha
Posted on: 2008/6/28 7:54

Guru
hawaii, maui
58 Posts

poor oil control causes detonation and vacuum flutter affecting the map sensor, and the o2 sensor doesn't like it either. new seals can allow a person to save up for the NEEDED repairs while still driving the vehicle for a LIMITED time. the est will pull timing out, the iac will hunt slightly more and a oil induced missfire will cause the engine to run rich when the o2 sensor misreads from the extra fuel. (sounds strange but true) cats don't like any of this either. the A.I.R sytem will help the main cat but without A>I>R your cat will die sooner than later especially on cold startup when oil is at it's worst, fuel at it's richest, cat at it's coldest and the computer can't help. worst when on a c4 with no MAS. Aloha
Posted on: 2008/6/28 9:33

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.