Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
259 user(s) are online (199 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Sting Ray
1963 through 1967 Corvette.

Not to be confused with the Stingray, 1969-1976....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

Flashman 86 changing and auto trans to a manual trans
Senior Guru
Tampa Bay, Florida
174 Posts

Hello All,

I was wondering what does it involve to change my auto to a manual transmission. Can I use the 6 speed manual in my 86 vette?

Joe
Posted on: 2008/8/21 3:27
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

corvetteronw Re: 86 changing and auto trans to a manual trans
Senior Guru
Lowell, MI
646 Posts

It will cost you a ton of cash and your car will be off the road all the time that you are putzzing around getting things ironed out.
Sell it and by a stick shift C4 instead.
Just my $.02. :offtheair:
Posted on: 2008/8/21 4:15

cuisinartvette Re: 86 changing and auto trans to a manual trans
Elite Guru
1782 Posts

Central Coaster has a complete breakdown of what youll need.

As soon as he returns from the petting zoo Im sure he will chime in.
Posted on: 2008/8/21 4:18

Click here if your browser does not automatically redirect you.

anesthes Re: 86 changing and auto trans to a manual trans
Master Guru
Boston, MA
646 Posts

Quote:

corvetteronw wrote:

That's a typical response I hear from the retards at Corvette Forum. I thought this was the GURU site?? Come on, it's an easy swap. Very easy. Telling someone to sell a car that is otherwise everything they want minus the transmission is just outright absurd.

Here is a writeup I did since this question comes up a lot on the other forum:

http://members.cisdi.com/~anesthes/projects/stick-swap/

-- Joe
Posted on: 2008/8/21 11:43

FATED Re: 86 changing and auto trans to a manual trans
Guru Newb
Texas
157 Posts

4+3 To 6 speed

This would be simular to this but you would have to find a clutch/ brake pedal set.
Posted on: 2008/8/21 13:37

jhammons01 Re: 86 changing and auto trans to a manual trans
Senior Guru
1044 Posts

Quote:

anesthes wrote:
Quote:

corvetteronw wrote:

That's a typical response I hear from the retards at Corvette Forum. I thought this was the GURU site?? Come on, it's an easy swap. Very easy. Telling someone to sell a car that is otherwise everything they want minus the transmission is just outright absurd.

Here is a writeup I did since this question comes up a lot on the other forum:

http://members.cisdi.com/~anesthes/projects/stick-swap/

-- Joe

That write up makes it sound so easy!!!

It sounds like it would only take a 6 pack to do that swap!!

Seriously, that is a good write up and it answer a few questions.
Posted on: 2008/8/21 17:25

Guru Newb
Texas
157 Posts

It really doesn't take much more than that if you have all of the right parts. The one thing I would do if I did it over would be find the aluminum flywheel that is mentioned somewhere in the thread. It will allow you to use a sprung hub clutch disk turned back wards. One thing is the ZR clutch is getting harder to find. My only complaint is that it knocks if in neutral with the clutch out. A sprung hub might reduce the knock.

I got the transmission, bell housing, clutch fork, clutch stud ball and clutch slave for $1200. I also got an LT1 clutch I did not use.
Posted on: 2008/8/21 19:19

CentralCoaster Re: 86 changing and auto trans to a manual trans
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Of the few installs I've seen with sprung hub clutches, none of them claimed the gear rattle was reduced.

If it was that easy, ya think GM might've tried before going with this strange flywheel setup?

Anyhow, the swap would cost you about $1500-$2000 with a used ZF6. The only additional thing beyond the 4+3 swap you'd need is to install a clutch pedal. I haven't seen any other 6-speed swaps that fit well.
Posted on: 2008/8/21 19:48

Master Guru
Boston, MA
646 Posts

My setup with the ZR1 pivot is still holding strong, but the rattle at idle is pretty ugly. I usually just keep the clutch to the floor when I'm sitting at a light.. Otherwise other cars around me think its going to explode...
Posted on: 2008/8/22 2:12

Flashman Re: 86 changing and auto trans to a manual trans
Senior Guru
Tampa Bay, Florida
174 Posts

Hello All,

Thanks Anesthes. You are right, thats what they said to me on the Corvette forum a long time ago when I asked.Hard work does not scare me. Hell, I restored my whole vette and there is no way I am selling it. Its got a brand new built up engine. Its worth doing. Its not easy to find a manual vette. This would be the only thing missing for me. Then this vette will be everything I ever wanted in a Corvette. I just sold my AMX so,I can dump a couple more grand into it. I found this on ebay. Will this trans work?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/6SPD-C ... ZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I know I need the bell housing etc. I also have a 3.07 rear end. I will locate these parts and get it done. Thanks for the valuable info fellas.

Joe - Flash Man
Posted on: 2008/8/22 2:52

Senior Guru
Tampa Bay, Florida
174 Posts

Hi Again,

Whats the story with the 4+3 transmissions? I hear not too many people like them? I hear the ZR transmissions are more durable.Is this true?

Joe-Flash
Posted on: 2008/8/22 3:05

Lichen Re: 86 changing and auto trans to a manual trans
Guru
Scottsdale, Arizona
166 Posts

It sort of depends on how much money that you have sunk into your car. For me, I would lose my azz to sell my car just to buy something with a 6 speed. This is a future mod for me.
Posted on: 2008/8/22 3:19

bogus Re: 86 changing and auto trans to a manual trans
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

A few other thoughts:

1. The manuals come with the Dana 44 rear end. Any increase in power plus a manual and the D36 becomes a grenade.

2. Have you considered a TKO 5spd? comes complete and 5th gear is between 5th and 6th on a ZF6.
Posted on: 2008/8/22 4:40

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Senior Guru
Tampa Bay, Florida
174 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
A few other thoughts:

1. The manuals come with the Dana 44 rear end. Any increase in power plus a manual and the D36 becomes a grenade.

2. Have you considered a TKO 5spd? comes complete and 5th gear is between 5th and 6th on a ZF6.

Hi Bogus,

Which rear end do I have in there now? Also, can you give me more information about the TKO 5spd? The motor I have in there now is probably pushing around 325-350 hp. I have changed rear ends, Gears, transmissions and crossmembers on my AMC cars. I had to fabricate almost everything. Jigsaw puzzle. These are different parts to me. But, I am learning and will just have to do it all again. But Chevrolet this time around. Thanks.

Joe-Flash
Posted on: 2008/8/22 13:34

red_johnny Re: 86 changing and auto trans to a manual trans
On Sabbatical
Augusta, GA (85 383 stroker)
3213 Posts

Quote:

Flashman wrote:
Hi Again,

Whats the story with the 4+3 transmissions? I hear not too many people like them? I hear the ZR transmissions are more durable.Is this true?

Joe-Flash
The 4 + 3 are garbage IMO. I have heard of alot of problems with them and most people swap them out when it needs replaced. Mine used to have one and then it was upgraded to a richmond 6. I would say if you want a 4+3 to go for it as long as it had a recent rebuild done on it.
Posted on: 2008/8/22 15:21

bogus Re: 86 changing and auto trans to a manual trans
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quote:

Flashman wrote:
Quote:

bogus wrote:
A few other thoughts:

Hi Bogus,

Which rear end do I have in there now? Also, can you give me more information about the TKO 5spd? The motor I have in there now is probably pushing around 325-350 hp. I have changed rear ends, Gears, transmissions and crossmembers on my AMC cars. I had to fabricate almost everything. Jigsaw puzzle. These are different parts to me. But, I am learning and will just have to do it all again. But Chevrolet this time around. Thanks.

Joe-Flash

Dude... A fellow AMC'r! I had one many moons ago... a POS Pacer and I know what you mean. To do anything with those cars required welding.

ALL automatic Vettes came with a D36 rear end. It has a 7.5" ring gear. All 1984 Vettes came with the D36. In 1985, the manual vettes started to come with the D44.

The D44 has an 8.5" ring gear. To read more, there is a section on this in the Tech FAQ at the top of the page.

Now... The D36 isn't as strong... and a manual with power in front will toast one in no time flat.

The downside? Price. I saw a used D44 on Ebay for $1500. This one is 1700, but I like the 3.33 gear for a modded L98 and a 6spd: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/90-Cor ... 31QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

I did an ebay search for a "corvette d44 rear."

Lemme put it this way... do the manual conversion then add a D44 down the road. I suspect you can drive a while on the street on a D36... just don't abuse it.

It's also why converting via selling the auto car and trading with a manual is not a bad idea.

The TKO is a Tremec that has been modified to fit the C4 properly. It has a good rep. There was a bug with the early ones, but that seems to have been resolved.

Check http://www.keislerauto.com/ for info on the TKO line of transmissions.
Posted on: 2008/8/22 18:30

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

One problem with the ZF6 swap is it's geared too tall for a 3.07 rear. You'll end up wanting a 3.55 so you can use 6th gear.

Even with that though, it's still cheaper than the TKO swap. www.classicchevy5speed.com is another option for a bolt-in TKO kit for the C4, probably cheaper than Keisler. These are a decent option IF you already have all the 4+3 hydraulics and clutch, but you don't.

I'd love the ZF if it wasn't so damn noisy.
Posted on: 2008/8/22 20:51

Guru Newb
Texas
157 Posts

There is a 4+3 on the really big auction site right now. If you just want a manual. I prefer the 6 speed even with the noise. Like someone said keep the clutch in when stopped.
Posted on: 2008/8/22 23:04

Senior Guru
Tampa Bay, Florida
174 Posts

Hi Guys,

I appreciate all the info. I was hoping that I did not have to swap out the rear. I thought it was just AMC that was a curse with all the swapping. But I guess if you want to go fast, you have to do it right. I like to get on the vette, but I dont beat the crap out of it. Sometimes I drive nice, and other times I need to release. Ok, another question. I know it wont be equal to a manual trans, but what can I do to the 700R4 to shift it manual or give it a kick? Valve body, etc. In other words I want it to shift,hear those tires chirp and that rear to snap. Just weighing out my options. Thanks.

Joe-Flash
Posted on: 2008/8/23 1:01

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Well a high stall converter and a shift kit will let you roast em easier from a stop and feel it shift harder.

You don't have to swap out the rear for any of these. It's preferred, but it'll be fine without it. You're not going to grenade the D36 unless you're hammering it on the strip with slicks or maybe drag radials.

Just like the 4+3, the Dana 36 bad experiences scream way louder than the good experiences. I enjoyed my 4+3 and would still have it if I didn't let the clutch hydraulics go awry which then chewed up the gears.
Posted on: 2008/8/23 1:40

Master Guru
Boston, MA
646 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
I'd love the ZF if it wasn't so damn noisy.

Does the hurst shifter make it shift right? I still say this thing feels goofy. I've driven 3 cars now with ZF's and they all are weird. It's not a shift, its clank-clank between every gear. Gotta be a way to fix that. That's my only gripe.

That and I have not figured out what 6th gear is for yet

-- Joe
Posted on: 2008/8/23 3:16

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

The Hurst shifter feels great, for a vette at least. Throw is still not short enough but the effort is actually less than stock just because it's smooth. This is how the car should've felt from the factory. You can shim the small amount of slop out of the shifter also. I should have stopped by and drove yours for comparison, I was in Boston all last week. It's a pointless question though, I think only the B&M shifter is available now.

The Hurst was probably one of the best mods I did. It was a pain in the ass though, I had to grind down the side of the shifter rod to keep it from galling the shifter cradle and it's a bitch to assemble, even though I'm usually good at working with my hands or working blind.

What rear end do you have? With the stock 3.07s I was getting 20mpg at 100mph in 6th. But it was not usable under 75-80 mph, and it's hard to maintain that speed in light traffic.

With the 3.45s I keep it in 6th above 65mph.
Posted on: 2008/8/23 4:53

Master Guru
Boston, MA
646 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
The Hurst shifter feels great, for a vette at least. Throw is still not short enough but the effort is actually less than stock just because it's smooth. This is how the car should've felt from the factory. You can shim the small amount of slop out of the shifter also. I should have stopped by and drove yours for comparison, I was in Boston all last week. It's a pointless question though, I think only the B&M shifter is available now.

You should have dropped me a line! What were you doing out this way? Too bad the hurst is no longer available. Oh well.

I'm actually gonna be pulling the motor apart in an hour or so. Miniram is coming out in favor of a singleplane.

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:

What rear end do you have? With the stock 3.07s I was getting 20mpg at 100mph in 6th. But it was not usable under 75-80 mph, and it's hard to maintain that speed in light traffic.

With the 3.45s I keep it in 6th above 65mph.

I have 3.54 richmond gears. 224/230 cam, so it wants to cruise really no lower than about 1900rpm. With a .5 6th gear, 3.54 rear and 26" tires that's 83mph. Any slower and it will buck/surge. 83mph is a lot faster than any speed limit around here (65) so 6th gear is useless.

-- Joe
Posted on: 2008/8/23 13:06

Danspeed1 Re: 86 changing and auto trans to a manual trans
Elite Guru
Mooresville, North Carolina
1121 Posts

Quote:

Flashman wrote:
Hi Guys,

I appreciate all the info. I was hoping that I did not have to swap out the rear. I thought it was just AMC that was a curse with all the swapping. But I guess if you want to go fast, you have to do it right. I like to get on the vette, but I dont beat the crap out of it. Sometimes I drive nice, and other times I need to release. Ok, another question. I know it wont be equal to a manual trans, but what can I do to the 700R4 to shift it manual or give it a kick? Valve body, etc. In other words I want it to shift,hear those tires chirp and that rear to snap. Just weighing out my options. Thanks.

Joe-Flash
Let me take a crack at this one... I just finished up my Impala and although I may have overdone it a little it performs really nice for an auto!

If you want to wake up that auto you will want to start with a transgo shift kit. But be advised, even with the moderate shift kit it shifts hard (too hard for my tastes) BUT at WOT there is no shift lag or delay, and the shifts are nice and "crisp."

If you want to take the Manual part one step further, you can incorporate a B&M or Hurst shift and a manual valve body. That makes driving a little more interesting.

A GOOD QUALITY Converter will also really wake the car up. Emphasis on GOOD QUALITY. We bought an Edge for our 72, and its an awesome converter. Then I bought one for my Impala, I am less than pleased. Its slipping like a cheapo! I will give Yank a try next time.

Finally, as you can imagine the 3.07s are great on the highway, but 3.55 to 3.73 is a good compromise between economy and performance. I would check out Ikerd's Differentials for a new rear. His prices are good and his customer service is top notch. I unfortunately had a problem with one of his rears. Not only did he give me a new one for free.... he paid shipping both ways!

DG
Posted on: 2008/8/25 6:12
1996 Ford Explorer
2009 Cadillac CTS-v

cuisinartvette Re: 86 changing and auto trans to a manual trans
Elite Guru
1782 Posts

If my car sells Ill have a brand new Hurst shifer in the box for sale I never installed. Pressed bushings and all. Man, I forgot I had it.
Posted on: 2008/8/25 7:36

Click here if your browser does not automatically redirect you.

vetteoz Re: 86 changing and auto trans to a manual trans
Senior Guru
453 Posts

I'm with the auto upgrade if you are short of $$$.
Only swapped out my 4+3 for the consistancy at the strip.
Art Carr shift kit; full auto function in drive , manually hold any gear till the engine blows and engine braking on the down shifts.
I still shift it like a stick, great on the winding roads. Don't install the big boost valve and you won't have the hard part throttle shifts mentioned.
After market shifter so you don't hit neutral on the shifts.
Posted on: 2008/8/26 7:24

Senior Guru
Tampa Bay, Florida
174 Posts

Hey Guys,

I know there is alot of mods that I can do. I really dont want to go 3:73 gears, but maybe somewhere between 3:07 and 3:73. Maybe 3:55. I still want my highway cruising but some off the line power too. The shift kit sounds like a good idea and so does the B&m shifter. I had a B&M ratchet shifter in my AMX. Can I use the B&M shifter with my center console? How does it fit? If so I would be interested in the shifter if you want to sell it. Also, on a manual valve body, would I have to manually shift all the time or can it be switched between manual and auto? The Art Carr shift kit sounds like what I am looking for. Where do you buy it? Thanks for the info.

Joe
Posted on: 2008/8/26 13:47

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.