Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
195 user(s) are online (121 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Grand Sport
RPO Z16.

A one year special. 1000 were made to honor both the end of the C4 and the original racers, called Grand Sports, from 1963.

All were...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

rklessdriver Carbon Fiber Rocker Cover review
Senior Guru
Woodbridge, VA
1318 Posts

I've had a million people asking me about these rocker covers ever since I let the first pics of my new LTX engine slip out a few months ago.

Well here they are in the car.

[IMG]http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f303/rklessdriver/Corvette/DSC00841.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f303/rklessdriver/Corvette/DSC00842.jpg[/IMG]

On the engine stand.

[IMG]http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f303/rklessdriver/Corvette/100_0340.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f303/rklessdriver/Corvette/100_0341.jpg[/IMG]

So after a full 2 weeks of driving the car around, my opinion of them can be described in only 2 words.

THEY SUCK.

They looked nice when new but they quickly spread out and started leaking. They will not stop leaking. They have bowed in at the top and the rails have spread out so far they will no longer hold the gasket in place on the head. The carbon weave is bubbling and seperating from the clear resin. I could go on and on about how bad they suck...

Do yourselves a favor and save the $370.00 for some nice rocker covers made from some type of metal. To replace these I bougt a set of the premiter bolt (18 degree style) Moroso fabricated alum valve covers with 1/4" billet rails and am in the process of chopping the front corner of the drivers side one up for the required dreaded LTX Alt clearance.

Such a shame to cover up all this beauty...

[IMG]http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f303/rklessdriver/Corvette/DSC00849.jpg[/IMG]

I will post up some new pics when I've got them on the car.
Will
Posted on: 2008/10/22 19:01

1972 Corvette. LS5 454 BBC with M20 4 speed.
Best Pass - Doing good to just pass a gas station.
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

BrianCunningham Re: Carbon Fiber Rocker Cover review
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

WOW good to know.

I bought some chrome covers for my build, I might stick with the stockers though.
Posted on: 2008/10/22 19:22

biggrizzly Re: Carbon Fiber Rocker Cover review
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

That's why I decided finally to stick with the factory composite covers. I broke the tabs off to clear my rockers and I have had no problems with them at all.
Posted on: 2008/10/22 19:32

bogus Re: Carbon Fiber Rocker Cover review
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

damn. That's a poor product.

The quality of carbon fiber depends on the epoxy... it sounds like they used cheap junk.

How sad.
Posted on: 2008/10/22 21:34

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

CSS996 Re: Carbon Fiber Rocker Cover review
Mega Guru
Central PA
3644 Posts

How EXPENSIVE!!! Jeebus! I'd be super pissed. Thanks for the heads up!
Posted on: 2008/10/23 0:05

Matatk Re: Carbon Fiber Rocker Cover review
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22806 Posts

Quote:

rklessdriver wrote:

They looked nice when new but they quickly spread out...

Sounds like a few broads I knew....

Sorry to hear about your troubles.

Matthew
Posted on: 2008/10/23 0:11

pianoguy Re: Carbon Fiber Rocker Cover review
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:
Quote:

rklessdriver wrote:

They looked nice when new but they quickly spread out...

Sounds like a few broads I knew....

Matthew

Hahahaha!

That is a bummer that they didn't hold up.
Posted on: 2008/10/23 0:18

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

AKS_Racing Re: Carbon Fiber Rocker Cover review
Guru
62 Posts

Quote:

rklessdriver wrote:
I've had a million people asking me about these rocker covers ever since I let the first pics of my new LTX engine slip out a few months ago.

Well here they are in the car.

[IMG]http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f303/rklessdriver/Corvette/DSC00841.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f303/rklessdriver/Corvette/DSC00842.jpg[/IMG]

So after a full 2 weeks of driving the car around, my opinion of them can be described in only 2 words. THEY SUCK.

They looked nice when new but they quickly spread out and started leaking. They will not stop leaking. They have bowed in at the top and the rails have spread out so far they will no longer hold the gasket in place on the head. The carbon weave is bubbling and seperating from the clear resin. I could go on and on about how bad they suck...

Do yourselves a favor and save the $370.00 for some nice rocker covers made from some type of metal. To replace these I bougt a set of the premiter bolt (18 degree style) Moroso fabricated alum valve covers with 1/4" billet rails and am in the process of chopping the front corner of the drivers side one up for the required dreaded LTX Alt clearance.

Such a shame to cover up all this beauty...
[IMG]http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f303/rklessdriver/Corvette/DSC00849.jpg[/IMG]
I will post up some new pics when I've got them on the car.
Will

I had really considered those covers as a replacement to the factory panted covers. I too am running shaft rockers, but run spacers to get the factory covers high enough of the head to work. Thanks for the heads up.

Also, your intake looks remarkably similar to mine.
[IMG]http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g151/AKS_Racing/100_0118.jpg[/IMG]
I hope whoever built your intake used something besides 10/28 screws to hold the rails to the intake elbow. I recently wrote the horror episode on CF about the hackjob that I was sold. But mine looks nice and works very well after lots of rework.
[IMG]http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g151/AKS_Racing/100_0928.jpg[/IMG]
Aaron
Posted on: 2008/10/23 2:27

CentralCoaster Re: Carbon Fiber Rocker Cover review
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

The hot oil must be breaking down the epoxy. CF doesn't do to well with harsh chemicals.
Posted on: 2008/10/23 3:25

rklessdriver Re: Carbon Fiber Rocker Cover review
Senior Guru
Woodbridge, VA
1318 Posts

Arron,

My fuel rails are held on with 1/4" stainless allen head cap screws. I've got 42psi idling and haven't noticed any flex in the tubing pieces he welded to the intake and mounted the fuel rail to.

Who built yours? Mine needed a lot of re-work as well...
Will
Posted on: 2008/10/23 21:20

1972 Corvette. LS5 454 BBC with M20 4 speed.
Best Pass - Doing good to just pass a gas station.

AKS_Racing Re: Carbon Fiber Rocker Cover review
Guru
62 Posts

Quote:

rklessdriver wrote:
Arron,
My fuel rails are held on with 1/4" stainless allen head cap screws. I've got 42psi idling and haven't noticed any flex in the tubing pieces he welded to the intake and mounted the fuel rail to.

Who built yours? Mine needed a lot of re-work as well...
Will

Will,
With regard to who built my intake unit originally, I prefer not to publicly post that up, as he is usually lurking (actually people call him by that name) in the background. The intake is definitely either a JB "knockoff", or a knockoff of someone else's work that JB copies as well. I do not know.

My fuel rails were held in place with 10/28 tapered head screws that were ~ 1 3/4" long (through the rail and the sleeves) and screwed into the elbow baseplate (only ~ 3-4 threads worth) when I received it. There was a lot of flex in the set-up that was exacerbated by the fact that it was not "level" with the injector bungs. When the AFPR saw boost, it pushed two injectors out of the rails and sprayed fuel everywhere. Fortunately I made it home without the car catching fire (it was ~ 6 blocks, and I knew something was wrong, but did not even stop to check under the hood, just wanted to get it home).

It now has bosses that are beefed up on the elbow at the correct location to allow ~ 0.020" clearance between the rails and the injectors, with the injectors being fully bottomed in the bungs. The bungs had to be machined to a common "level" height across all four on each side. I also used 1/4" x 20 countersunk allen bolts that recess nicely into the rails. The bolts thread into the new boss and the baseplate ~ 3/4". It is much stronger, as I can pick up the complete manifold assy by the rails with no signs of flex.

After looking at pics of yours, I would say that the welds on the elbow panels of your intake look much better than mine did originally, but my base and injector bung welds looked much better than your intake. I cleaned some up and ground some out and re-welded (tig) them.

I will not even go into the MB that was included in the deal that would not close (held open ~3/8"; potential high idle issue???), that AS&M said had a bent throttle shaft (they wanted ~$300 for those repairs). Again, some guys will say anything to make a sale.

I was over talking to a bud this evening, and I may be making up a new "raised runner" intake, so maybe this one will hit the market.
Aaron
Posted on: 2008/10/24 0:16

mseven Re: Carbon Fiber Rocker Cover review
Senior Guru
Motor City Madhouse
247 Posts

Quote:

regard to who built my intake unit originally, I prefer not to publicly post that up, as he is usually lurking (actually people call him by that name) in the background. The intake is definitely either a JB "knockoff", or a knockoff of someone else's work that JB copies as well. I do not know.

Aaron
I remember whom you speak of, and the stand off between him and JB......as well as his claim to be the first and doing them for a number of years.
Glad you posted, what it was upon purchase.

that sux on the c.fiber v.covers.
Sheet metal v,covers are inexpensive nowadays. Places like speedway sell imported ones that are machine welded, 1/4" billet plate, polished out, and in various styles (including the moroso, or canton style) for 100. or less. They are straight, sit flat, look great and are actually an excellant product.
Posted on: 2008/10/24 13:53

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.