Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
304 user(s) are online (262 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  L98
The GM designation for the 5.7 liter, (350 cubic inch), TPI motor. This motor was used in other GM vehicles, but was used in the Corvette from 1985 t...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

brut So my wife hits a deer.....
Guru Emeritus
New Albany, IN
1308 Posts

in her new 2009 Corolla. Geez...its not even 2009 yet.

Anyway, she barely, and I mean BARELY hit the deers rear leg. Now the front bumper cover is cracked almost in half, the headlight supports broke and the front fender is dented. I would hate to see this tin can up against another car.
Posted on: 2008/11/8 14:22
'02 Harley Davidson Heritage Softail Classic
'07 Hummer H3
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

jsup Re: So my wife hits a deer.....
Elite Guru
1778 Posts

I just found out how expensive body work is:
[IMG]http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL857/2991862/20516132/340552093.jpg[/IMG]

Just got the check from the ins company for $13K and change. That's without the supplemental submissions the shop will surely do.

I saw the car at the shop with the sheet metal removed, there is no structural damage. It's the inner wheel well, hood, fender, bumper, radiator, and support.

No suspension parts, frame is straight.

When did this stuff get so expensive?

That bumper/fender could be a couple grand easy.
Posted on: 2008/11/8 14:28

Schrade Re: So my wife hits a deer.....
Elite Guru
eastern NC / e-i-e-i-o
1909 Posts

Stupid deer! Why do they stand in the middle of the cornfield like that when you're drivin' through there huh? Why can't they stand in the road like all the other deer?

Least it wasn't one of these hit n run trees:

Resized Image
Posted on: 2008/11/8 14:35

Resized Image

brut Re: So my wife hits a deer.....
Guru Emeritus
New Albany, IN
1308 Posts

We go for an estimate Monday..shame we have a $500 deductible.
Posted on: 2008/11/8 14:51
'07 Hummer H3

Elite Guru
eastern NC / e-i-e-i-o
1909 Posts

Quote:

brut wrote:

WHAT??? You DON'T have a $1k deductible???

Having a higher deductible means SUBSTANTIALLY LOWER premiums. Depending on your coverages, it will take a MAXIMUM of 4 terms to save that difference, and bank it for your deductible, in case 'breakage' happens.

Key word is BANK. Not Wal-Mart it, or Ecklers it, as Americans do. And as I did too, but just happened to have my $1k ante when it mattered...
Posted on: 2008/11/8 15:38

Resized Image

CentralCoaster Re: So my wife hits a deer.....
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

I'm considering putting my deductibles to max and reducing coverage. I don't use the insurance enough to justify low deductibles, and even if something does happen its usually settlted outside insurance to avoid the rate hike for either party. Insurance is unethical. I'll just keep extra in savings instead.
Posted on: 2008/11/8 15:44

cuisinartvette Re: So my wife hits a deer.....
Elite Guru
1782 Posts

Yikes! Jap car parts are expensive and theres a lot of em!

Bad part is the cars crumple up easy, good part is your wifes cara absorbed the impact, not her as it was designed to do.

Thing is these days they are all like that, even the trucks. I barely tapped the back of some ladys Ford Countour last year..Put a couple paint chips in her plastic bumper, bent my front bumper like a cheap toy from one end to the other. Upon closer inspection it isnt a real bumper, only a cheap tin bumper "cover". So much for a big tough truck, eh?

Years ago one of those huge Benji dogs decided to run off the sidwalk intercept my 88 Toyota P/U, the damage was unreal. Poor dog didnt make it, neighbors were going nutso as if it was my fault
Posted on: 2008/11/8 15:44

Click here if your browser does not automatically redirect you.

Elite Guru
eastern NC / e-i-e-i-o
1909 Posts

Quote:

cuisinartvette wrote:

Bad part is the cars crumple up easy,

YES THEY DO!

Any ugly piece of junk, in which you can survive a head-on square, 110 combined, gets my vote.

Of course, Divinity was involved too uh huh...
Posted on: 2008/11/8 16:02

Resized Image

pianoguy Re: So my wife hits a deer.....
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Yeah, it's expensive, but it could've been a lot worse. Many years ago, a guy at work went to pass a semi truck on the highway, and as soon as he pulled out to pass, there was a deer. He was probably doing 75 when he hit it. The deer wound up in the front seat, and the guy had a substantial hospital stay.
Posted on: 2008/11/8 16:23

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

Notorious Re: So my wife hits a deer.....
Elite Guru
Downbound train, NC
2184 Posts

Only once did I ever come close to hitting a deer. It was at night on a two lane road in W Va. As it dashed out in front of me I swerved and just glanced it with my quarter panel as I passed by it. There was not a mark on the car so I assume the deer was fine too. I'd have hated to hit it head-on, I was driving a Mitsubishi Mirage! Great little car but hardly an Abrams tank!
Posted on: 2008/11/8 16:56

vetteblondie Re: So my wife hits a deer.....
Master Guru
Jonesboro, AR
4654 Posts

Holy cow! That's a ton of damage for a deer.... And, by hitting the corner like that, takes out everything seems like. Does your state make any allowances for those type of incidents? Some states will pay the damage if a game warden is contacted I've heard, not sure if that's true.
Posted on: 2008/11/8 18:34

Yes, I'm a bitch... just not YOURS.

Resized Image

BrianCunningham Re: So my wife hits a deer.....
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

Ouch!

I remember when a member of my Corvette club hit a deer after a party, straight through the windshield!
Posted on: 2008/11/8 19:21

Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Quote:

vetteblondie wrote:
Holy cow! That's a ton of damage for a deer.... And, by hitting the corner like that, takes out everything seems like. Does your state make any allowances for those type of incidents? Some states will pay the damage if a game warden is contacted I've heard, not sure if that's true.

well, so much for dispelling the myths of blondes.... (joke)

That was my car, I just put it up to show what $15K of damage looks like and how expensive body work has become...doesn't look like $15K to me...
Posted on: 2008/11/8 19:23

vetteblondie Re: So my wife hits a deer.....
Master Guru
Jonesboro, AR
4654 Posts

Quote:

jsup wrote:
Quote:

vetteblondie wrote:

well, so much for dispelling the myths of blondes.... (joke)

That was my car, I just put it up to show what $15K of damage looks like and how expensive body work has become...doesn't look like $15K to me...

Geez, I must've obviously still been asleep and blind to boot, misread all that....
whoooo! I went back and looked twice this time LOL, the first time it looked like both posts were from the same person. I just looked at all that way wrong ...
:blush:
Ok, so do I get to use the 'blonde' excuse?
As far as the cost of your damage, who knows. Mine was way more than I'd ever have thought too, especially the first time when I needed a whole new front end.
Posted on: 2008/11/9 3:12

Yes, I'm a bitch... just not YOURS.

Resized Image

bogus Re: So my wife hits a deer.....
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quote:

Blade_1 wrote:
Quote:

brut wrote:

WHAT??? You DON'T have a $1k deductible???

Having a higher deductible means SUBSTANTIALLY LOWER premiums. Depending on your coverages, it will take a MAXIMUM of 4 terms to save that difference, and bank it for your deductible, in case 'breakage' happens.

Key word is BANK. Not Wal-Mart it, or Ecklers it, as Americans do. And as I did too, but just happened to have my $1k ante when it mattered...

Hm... I have done a lot of research on this... well, enough with my company at least... and State Farm does not charge that much different to have lower deductables.

I have full coverage with State Farm, also have the Jeep, home rental, personal property (laptops, watch, camera) and life insurance all through State Farm. ALL the coverage is about $1500 a year.

My Vette is covered to the hilt, 100/300/100, towing, 0 deductable on comp and 200 on collision. It's $480 every 6 months here in SoCal. The Jeep is chump change.

The key? Have a damned good driving record with very limited claims.

The differences in the deductables was not much, $50 savings at $500 or so. It just wasn't worth it from where I sat.
Posted on: 2008/11/9 4:13

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quote:

brut wrote:
in her new 2009 Corolla. Geez...its not even 2009 yet.

Anyway, she barely, and I mean BARELY hit the deers rear leg. Now the front bumper cover is cracked almost in half, the headlight supports broke and the front fender is dented. I would hate to see this tin can up against another car.

I am glad your wife is ok, tho! That's what REALLY matters!

As for the Corolla in a wreck... don't judge it by the sheet metal. It still has to meet the same crash standards that every other car has to meet. Also remember, cars are built to crumple these days. That absorption of kenetic energy is so very important... if not, it gets absorbed by the driver and passengers.
Posted on: 2008/11/9 4:15

Elite Guru
eastern NC / e-i-e-i-o
1909 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:

Hm... I have done a lot of research on this... well, enough with my company at least... and State Farm does not charge that much different to have lower deductables.

I have full coverage with State Farm, also have the Jeep, home rental, personal property (laptops, watch, camera) and life insurance all through State Farm. ALL the coverage is about $1500 a year.

My Vette is covered to the hilt, 100/300/100, towing, 0 deductable on comp and 200 on collision. It's $480 every 6 months here in SoCal. The Jeep is chump change.

The differences in the deductables was not much, $50 savings at $500 or so. It just wasn't worth it from where I sat.

Check same vehicle coverage with a $1k deductible. I bet there's a bigger difference than that yup...

If you have an umbrella policy, I can't guess how long it will take to make up the difference. I don't know how premiums are affected for those policies.
Posted on: 2008/11/9 4:36

Resized Image

Elite Guru
eastern NC / e-i-e-i-o
1909 Posts

I was in fog one morning so thick, you couldn't see 15 feet nope. It was in the country, goin' 20 maybe, in a 1 ton van. I heard 'em runnin through the brush to my left, and suddenly there's one right at me - coulda' slugged him with a left.

I heard another one behind him run into the van sidewall behind my door.

When I got to Rocky Mt. an hour later, I looked at the side of the van. No dentage nope, but a long smear mark with very distinct teeth marks, and some deer grub from his choppers embedded in the streak uh huh...
Posted on: 2008/11/9 4:45

Resized Image

biggrizzly Re: So my wife hits a deer.....
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

I lived on Maryland's eastern shore for a while after college on Kent Island, which is a pretty big Island and fairly populated, but has a ton of little underfed deer. However the population of deer was out of control.

One night while driving home I was following a friend to my house and watched as a deer waited and jumped right in front of his car. It cost him a ton of money as you all have seen.
I also owned a Dodge Ramcharger SUV at the time and I had it all jacked up at the time. I had several deer actually jump over the hood of the truck as I drove through a Soybean field! It was pretty wild seeing them leap over the hood.
Posted on: 2008/11/9 5:29

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quote:

Blade_1 wrote:
Quote:

bogus wrote:

Check same vehicle coverage with a $1k deductible. I bet there's a bigger difference than that yup...

If you have an umbrella policy, I can't guess how long it will take to make up the difference. I don't know how premiums are affected for those policies.

I get discounts for breathing for all the coverage I have with State Farm.

It's insane.
Posted on: 2008/11/9 5:54

bobges Re: So my wife hits a deer.....
Senior Guru
Bushkill PA
254 Posts

A lot of deer around here, they seem smarter than most people
Posted on: 2008/11/9 12:29

brut Re: So my wife hits a deer.....
Guru Emeritus
New Albany, IN
1308 Posts

I have State Farm too...

Estimate is in...$1640. Not as bad as I would have thought.
Posted on: 2008/11/10 17:41
'07 Hummer H3

Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Sounds cheap.
Posted on: 2008/11/10 17:46

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.