Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
103 user(s) are online (50 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Aluminum Powerglide
Automatic Transmission - 2 Speed

1st Gear: 1.76/1.82
2nd Gear: 1.00

- Used in production GM models from 1962 thru 1972.
- 14 Bolt Pan.
- Vac...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

UK_Moe_Vet (quick question) waiting for tow truck
Guru
UK
80 Posts

Hi guys

waiting for tow truck - got a flat (45 min walk home) - rear drivers side - I have never changed the tire before - just read up where the wrench is to release spare tire - do not know where the tire lug-nut is (to fit over tire nuts for removal)

can anyone help - expect truck any minute so may not be here to read your reply

thanks
Posted on: 2008/11/10 23:19
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Notorious Re: (quick question) waiting for tow truck
Elite Guru
Downbound train, NC
2184 Posts

If it's like my '95, it'll be attached to the rear of the driver's seat bracket at the floor. I think it's held in with a couple of wing nuts. Good luck.
Posted on: 2008/11/10 23:33

UK_Moe_Vet Re: (quick question) waiting for tow truck
Guru
UK
80 Posts

many thanx - will look there for it
Posted on: 2008/11/10 23:42

UK_Moe_Vet Re: (quick question) waiting for tow truck - OUCH - this gets better !!!
Guru
UK
80 Posts

Just got home !!

I was picked up by the tow truck - went to the car and jacked it up - spare tire was flat ... what makes this even better is that there was not lug-nut ANYWHERE to take the security bolt off the tire - the tow truck guy had some keys (UK fit all lug nut set) he thought would get it off but no joy - could not budge it ... but wait .... the existing tire still on the car that went flat has a rip in the inside you can stick your hand in (so it is %^$%W"'d !!)

Good news is the tow comnpany took the car and are storing it on the back of thier flat-bed truck in their yard till morning .... So now I have to figure out how to get:

- The existing lug-nut off
- A replacement spare tire for a 92 Vette in England ASAP as ideally I need the car for Thursday (I say old boy - you are once again well and truly boned !!!)

I plan to search the net tonight for possible replacement rear tires as I imagine this would be best (input greatly apprecated here - the fronts are both Pirelli's but the backs are both BF Goodrich ZR4 (Size 275 40Z R17) - so with any luck Pirelli might have an UK option for me over here)

Also will try the shop that workes on the car - they may have both the lug-nut and a replacment tire but do not want the 2.5 hour each way to get them (may have not option)

Your thoughts are always appreciated (be kind - been a long hard night so far and it ain't over yet - now 1:50 am and expect I'll see the sun rise before I have a possible/plausible plan of attack here)

The car is a 92
Posted on: 2008/11/11 1:54

Matatk Re: (quick question) waiting for tow truck - OUCH - this gets better !!!
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22810 Posts

So is the lug stuck on there because it is seized or because it is a security lug and there is no proper key?

Matthew
Posted on: 2008/11/11 2:08

bogus Re: (quick question) waiting for tow truck
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

The key should be in the owners manual folder, which is normally stored in the console.
Posted on: 2008/11/11 2:50

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Schrade Re: (quick question) waiting for tow truck
Elite Guru
eastern NC / e-i-e-i-o
1909 Posts

Jack it up, take off the 4 standard lugs, try to get a little rocking / movement in the wheel. That should break the 'seize', and let some WD40, or THIN oil, get into it after a few hours.

Put 2 lugs back on to hold the wheel, and try with the fit-all lug key.
Posted on: 2008/11/11 3:02

Resized Image

UK_Moe_Vet Re: (quick question) waiting for tow truck - OUCH - this gets better !!!
Guru
UK
80 Posts

Seemed the lug nut the tow truck guy had was not gripping it - can't say for sure it was not seized as well though.

I have been looking for tires and may be in luck - do these sound like they will do the job

BF Goodrich g-Force Profiler
Tyre size Load Index Speed symbol
245/40 R 17 91 Y

I am in Milton Keynes in the UK and there seems to be a few BF dealers about - if these will match a 92 Vette I could be half way there. Will call when open to verify stock

Should your average mechanic be able to force off the security lug-nut without damaging the rim?

Lastly this car did not come with a manual/package which would have held the lug-nut too - hope it can be forced off - can always pick up replacement security lug-nuts on ebay etc.

Any inspired ideas on how to force off the existing lug-nut would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again for everyones time - now 3am and I think there is nothing else I can do tonight
Posted on: 2008/11/11 3:08

Guru
UK
80 Posts

Quote:

Blade_1 wrote:
Jack it up, take off the 4 standard lugs, try to get a little rocking / movement in the wheel. That should break the 'seize', and let some WD40, or THIN oil, get into it after a few hours.

Put 2 lugs back on to hold the wheel, and try with the fit-all lug key.

thanx mate - great advise !!
Posted on: 2008/11/11 3:10

1Fast04Vert Re: (quick question) waiting for tow truck - OUCH - this gets better !!!
Elite Guru
The hills of N. Georgia
2424 Posts

Look in the storage compartment behind the pass seat. The jack is stored there, possibly the lug nut 'key' is there as well. Afraid a 245/40 is too narrow for your rims. You need a 275/40 or 285/40 for a proper fit.
Posted on: 2008/11/11 3:14

Schrade Re: (quick question) waiting for tow truck
Elite Guru
eastern NC / e-i-e-i-o
1909 Posts

Only if it works...
Posted on: 2008/11/11 3:18

Resized Image

Mekanic Re: (quick question) waiting for tow truck
Registered Vendor
Tampa Bay Florida
827 Posts

My car didn't come with one either, found out that a 21mm 12 pt socket (I think it was 21, almost positive) socket is PERFECT for removing them.

I just took the socket, used a 3lb hand sledge and hammered it onto the nut, the points cut into the threads that hold the caps on.

Getting the nut out of the socket took a 3/8th extension, a vice, and another smack with the hammer.

VERY easy
Posted on: 2008/11/11 6:55

Yea tho I walk through the valley in the shadow of rice, I shall fear no turbo, for torque art with me.

biggrizzly Re: (quick question) waiting for tow truck
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

Quote:

Mekanic wrote:
My car didn't come with one either, found out that a 21mm 12 pt socket (I think it was 21, almost positive) socket is PERFECT for removing them.

I just took the socket, used a 3lb hand sledge and hammered it onto the nut, the points cut into the threads that hold the caps on.

Getting the nut out of the socket took a 3/8th extension, a vice, and another smack with the hammer.

VERY easy

What he said and/or use an impact wrench. I had to do this before, it works. PB Blaster works to break the corrosion too.
Posted on: 2008/11/11 12:58

CSS996 Re: (quick question) waiting for tow truck
Mega Guru
Central PA
3644 Posts

I've also sacrificed a socket to get a locking nut off a vehicle before. Worked great. Just took me about an hour of cursing before I figured it out.

This was before "the web", where someone else could do my thinking for me.

Here's hoping you get it sorted!
Posted on: 2008/11/11 16:18

Guru
UK
80 Posts

SORTED

managed to find some tires (or tyres as they spell it over here) They were Cooper 2XS 285x40x17's - anyone heard of these (your feedback would be much appreciated)

Apparently made in Texas (so they can't be bad) just worried how CHEAP they were - I replaced both back tires and the cost (including fitting) was £150 per wheel (or about $300 USD) The Pirelli option was over $600 per wheel

Only reason I am worried is beacuse I know you "get what you pay for" in this world and there ain't no free lunch - hope I will live to regret them !! (versus dying pusheing them too hard on the many many round-about's in these parts)

Thanks for all your help

FYI - I was able to get replacement Chevy security lug-nuts from a Store called Halfords here in the UK for £30 (£60 USD) Had to get them ASAP as I only had 4 bolts holding on the back wheels as the shop whom changed them had none that fit
Posted on: 2008/11/12 17:04

CentralCoaster Re: (quick question) waiting for tow truck
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Honestly I think the locking lugnuts are stupid, they cause more hassle than anything else.

Now if you have $4000 racing wheels and a $3500 big brake system, and live in/near a crappy area, I'd say otherwise.
Posted on: 2008/11/12 17:08

1Fast04Vert Re: (quick question) waiting for tow truck
Elite Guru
The hills of N. Georgia
2424 Posts

Glad you are on the road again. Like CC said, the locking lug nuts are a pain. I got rid of mine a while back. Cooper is a well known, but smaller tire company. I have no experience with their performance tires, but generally they have a good product.
Posted on: 2008/11/13 3:33

Guru
UK
80 Posts

Many thanks for all your help - new tires feel fine - feel a bit of play/sway when driving in a straight line - probably take a while for them to break in and match up to the Pirelli's on the front. (seemed the Pirelli's and previous BF Goodrich's played well together - and as there was no BF UK option for me hopefully the Coopers will play nice too)

Really appreciate all your insights guys
Posted on: 2008/11/24 16:36

Woodstock Re: (quick question) waiting for tow truck
Senior Guru
Bremen/Germany
369 Posts

Tires that size are usually directional. Make sure they put them on correctly, should be some arrows on the side.

PS. did you ever make it to mainland Europe in the summer?
Posted on: 2008/11/24 16:40

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.