Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
307 user(s) are online (268 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Callaway
A builder of special edition Corvettes.

Very valuable, some exceed 6-figures.

Most notable is the B2K, 1987-1991....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

jsup Perhaps I was wrong....40HP? For you Tony!
Elite Guru
1778 Posts

OK, so as you know one of my pet peeves was that Tony told me that I can expect 40HP gain from an as cast head to a CNC ported head. I had no reason to believe it, and no evidence to support it. Coming from a manufacturer who's job it is to take money and sell product (been on that side myself) it was hard to believe.

Well, I've been sick since Friday, just coming around today, never thought I'd say this but I'd rather have been shoveling snow this weekend I spent too much time on the computer this weekend....anyway, I digress.

Brodix offers their product line fully CNC ported. It is their claim that there is AT LEAST a 35 HP difference, so not too far from 40HP Tony gave me originally.

Now, if I hear something from ONE manufacturer that 40 HP is possible I chalk it up to hype. When a second, and perhaps a third I'll keep looking, start saying it, to me it becomes industry standard and accepted. That changes the complexion of my position on the issue.

I submit for your enjoyment the following video as evidence:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yeJA7zTnA0&NR=1

The Track1 fully CNC'd head is said by Brodix to be "at least" 35 HP better and some bigger claims are made. These heads are list at $2500 and I know can be purchased for about $2200 on the street. SO basically the same price as Comp Ports.

The good news is, now that we are aware of Brodix has this offering, I wasn't before, we should be looking for comparisons of for example Comp Ports vs. CNC'd Track1s, not some as cast model. So don't get me started on unfair comparisons... I think that's fair enough.

SO...I will admit, and apologize to Tony for that one. I will concede that a fully CNC'd head of any manufacturer has a HP gain over as cast products in numbers bigger than I expected. I will still be looking for that last shoe to drop before I accept the number as "industry accepted" but when two leading manufacturers make the claim, in such a small market, there must be something to it.
Posted on: 2008/12/21 23:31

dan0617 Re: Perhaps I was wrong....40HP? For you Tony!
Senior Guru
Tyrone, PA
1260 Posts

The AFR street port heads are CNC'd also. I wonder if the CNC'd Track 1's are similar to the comp ports or the street ports? $2500 is too high (for me anyway) but I'll bet they will come down some over time. At least I hope they do, I love to see affordable options for those of us on a fairly tight budget.
Posted on: 2008/12/22 0:20
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

jsup Re: Perhaps I was wrong....40HP? For you Tony!
Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Quote:

dan0617 wrote:
The AFR street port heads are CNC'd also. I wonder if the CNC'd Track 1's are similar to the comp ports or the street ports? $2500 is too high (for me anyway) but I'll bet they will come down some over time. At least I hope they do, I love to see affordable options for those of us on a fairly tight budget.

Watch the video. Brodix lightly CNCs their standard heads to gasket match. The Track1s that are fully ported do the bowls, runners, everything, comparable to the Comp Ports, hopefully Tony will clarify that.

The Track1s are Brodix higher end line. They start with the IKs, then go to Race Rites, then to Track 1s. I am not sure which one of those lines the Comp Ports compare to if they were fully ported. Maybe not the IKs, but maybe not the Track1s. I'm thinking a fully ported Race Rite would be the fair comparison.
Posted on: 2008/12/22 0:23

CentralCoaster Re: Perhaps I was wrong....40HP? For you Tony!
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Does this mean you'll stop posting about it then?
Posted on: 2008/12/22 8:17

88BlackZ51 Re: Perhaps I was wrong....40HP? For you Tony!
Senior Guru
481 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
I certainly hope so Kevin.
Posted on: 2008/12/22 9:07

pr0zac Re: Perhaps I was wrong....40HP? For you Tony!
Elite Guru
Pittsburgh
1045 Posts

Quote:

88BlackZ51 wrote:
is there anyway to turn this guy off. god i love how he can put his unwanted two cents in everywhere without anyone saying anything.
Posted on: 2008/12/22 12:42

Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:

Means when I learn something I'm big enough to post it for everyone's information. What this means is that all heads are even more equal. Maybe we can get some fair comparisons.

Hey CC, did you ask anyone else this question? Just wonderin' if it's a one way street is all. Seems to me there's plenty of this to go around but I'm the only one catching shit for it. Guess I'm just not the teacher's pet.
Posted on: 2008/12/22 13:18

Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Quote:

pr0zac wrote:
Quote:

88BlackZ51 wrote:
is there anyway to turn this guy off. god i love how he can put his unwanted two cents in everywhere without anyone saying anything.

I'll just quote Ricky when I say thank you for saying what we all think.
Posted on: 2008/12/22 13:18

pr0zac Re: Perhaps I was wrong....40HP? For you Tony!
Elite Guru
Pittsburgh
1045 Posts

lol
Posted on: 2008/12/22 13:20

88BlackZ51 Re: Perhaps I was wrong....40HP? For you Tony!
Senior Guru
481 Posts

Quote:

jsup wrote:
Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:

Means when I learn something I'm big enough to post it for everyone's information. What this means is that all heads are even more equal.

Hey CC, did you ask anyone else this question? Just wonderin' if it's a one way street is all.
The question was asked 2 you. So does this mean you will stop posting about it?
Posted on: 2008/12/22 13:36

Elite Guru
1778 Posts

You're asking the wrong people.

I post this as an apology to Tony on this point and the fact I learned that Brodix has their own foundry which is unique in this space and Ron goes on a Pro AFR rampage with numerous threads with dubious information. And the Calvary arrived right behind them. You know what a Calvary is right?

I recommend you direct your questions to them. Any you can't control yourself but to inject heads and flow numbers in every conversation you can, so a little introspection is due there chief.

Now are you going to STFU about it?
Posted on: 2008/12/22 13:48

Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Tony, I had it wrong on this point if you read this PM me and we can do it publicly.

Now, pleas lock this thread.

Can't even apologize here anymore without catching shit. WTF.
Posted on: 2008/12/22 13:49

Senior Guru
Tyrone, PA
1260 Posts

Back on track, cool video. I didn't realize just how many options are out there for the high dollar, high rpm guys, like for circle track racing or all-out dragsters. Some of those less than 23* heads are cool. Amazing how far down they are getting the valve angles and what options are out there for someone who is willing to run specialty intakes, headers, cam, etc.
Posted on: 2008/12/22 14:11

Senior Guru
Tyrone, PA
1260 Posts

Quote:

jsup wrote:

Watch the video. Brodix lightly CNCs their standard heads to gasket match. The Track1s that are fully ported do the bowls, runners, everything, comparable to the Comp Ports, hopefully Tony will clarify that.

The Track1s are Brodix higher end line. They start with the IKs, then go to Race Rites, then to Track 1s. I am not sure which one of those lines the Comp Ports compare to if they were fully ported. Maybe not the IKs, but maybe not the Track1s. I'm thinking a fully ported Race Rite would be the fair comparison.

I heard on the video where he said they were lightly ported to match the 1206 gasket. I know the AFR 195 street ports are 1205 and the larger street ports are 1206 but by looking at my 195 street ports they appear to be fully CNC'd in the bowls, runners, everything. I know the comp ports (even the 195's) are 1206 gaskets and are fully ported as well. I think they are just finer cut than the street ports but I think both are considered fully CNC'd. I was thinking the CNC'd Race Rites would compare to the street ports and the CNC'd Track 1's would compare to the Comp Ports. Either way, it's good to have competition in the marketplace. Keeps the prices more reasonable and keeps manufacturers striving to give us better performing and higher quality products.

Also, no matter who the manufacturer, I too am surprised that a fully CNC'd head can add 35 to 40 horsepower over the same head without CNC work. I would assume that those gains would be had only if the head was the restriction in the engine combo, if the head is already "big" enough for the rest of the combo I wouldn't think that nearly would be gained from CNC work. But I don't know, I'm just guessing at that.
Posted on: 2008/12/22 14:53

Senior Guru
Tyrone, PA
1260 Posts

BTW, can we all stay on topic and un-biased in these discussions? There is good info to be had if we all act appropriately. If you posted one of the posts between #4 and #12 in this thread why don't you just delete it so this thread can be saved.
Posted on: 2008/12/22 14:58

bogus Re: Perhaps I was wrong....40HP? For you Tony!
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I am leaving this open so that if Tony wishes to comment, he can... but right now, combining jsup with heads = migrane and finger nails down a chalkboard.

I am about up to here with the entire debate.
Posted on: 2008/12/22 15:34

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

cuisinartvette Re: Perhaps I was wrong....40HP? For you Tony!
Elite Guru
1782 Posts

it doesnt matter if its CNC'ed or cast. You can cast a head to have any dimension you want just like you can CNC it, may be a touch less accurate thats all. To say a head cant be as "good" because its cast isnt true.
I didnt do anything other than post a thread, keep the accusations to yourself.
Posted on: 2008/12/22 16:22

BeachBum Re: Perhaps I was wrong....40HP? For you Tony!
Master Guru
751 Posts

To tell you the truth, I had no idea this was even a debated subject..... big gains from a CNC finishing port have always been reality. David Vizard reported a 54 HP gain over cast heads on his testing of a 4" stroked 350 for a 408 motor. I think 40+ HP gains are the norm for motors not restricted somewhere else such as the intake/cam/exhaust. The reason is simple, the finishing port increases airflow substantially..... which usually equals more power. Airflow is extremely important !

I will say, on a TPI motor, the gains will typically only be in the 10-20 hp area due to the obvious limitations of those motors.

I don't think this thread needs to be locked.... potential for good lively (but civil & respectful) debate if we all have an open mind and just discuss without conclusions, labels or emotion.
Posted on: 2008/12/22 16:44

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3933547 ... chevrolet-corvette/page-1

Qack Re: Perhaps I was wrong....40HP? For you Tony!
Senior Guru
Raleigh, NC
274 Posts

One thought -- IMHO a CNC-machined head is really only as good as a really good artist doing the work manually. There's no magic in CNC and, because of the mathematical curve-fitting functions involved, it is likely may not be as good as a top-notch artist.
Posted on: 2008/12/22 17:51

Master Guru
751 Posts

Quote:

Qack wrote:
One thought -- IMHO a CNC-machined head is really only as good as a really good artist doing the work manually. There's no magic in CNC and, because of the mathematical curve-fitting functions involved, it is likely may not be as good as a top-notch artist.

Thats a good point !

What most do to create a CNC tool path in the first place is through extensive trial & error hand porting. Once they are happy with the finished port, they can then either digitize the port itself utilizing a CNC machine with a Renishaw probing system integrated to it, but this is hard, for several reasons, one is based upon the probe stylists you have, you may have to digitize a path that you do not actually want the cutter path to follow....its hard to get inside the runners for example.

Thus, many fill the port with a liquid rubber/plastic type substance, then pull it out after its solidfies and then digitize the mold you just created to get the tool path and then massage the tool path utilizing the CNC operating system or an offline cam system.

Quite honestly, the real advantage to CNC porting is to the porter themselves..... its a lot easier and faster to push the cycle start button vs hours and more hours of hand porting. However, the cost is our burden due to the fact that a 5 axes CNC Vertical Machining Center is over $ 100,000.... and thats for the entry level low-cost machining centers such as a Haas. We do get a percieved consistency from port to port.... assuming the CNC machine is set-up correctly from all aspects, which sometimes, is assuming a lot.
Posted on: 2008/12/22 18:09

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

What is the consensus on the surface finish of the intake ports?

I understand that castings are naturally going to be vary CCs and flow more between ports, vs CNC work, but...

Does the slick surface become "sticky" at some point? Can't some surface roughness be a good thing for breaking up the boundary layer at the surface?

Does it change for wet flow in the head vs. dry flow in the intake?

What sort of air velocity are we getting in the intake ports?
Posted on: 2008/12/22 18:50

Master Guru
751 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:

I understand that castings are naturally going to be vary CCs and flow more between ports, vs CNC work, but...

Does the slick surface become "sticky" at some point? Can't some surface roughness be a good thing for breaking up the boundary layer at the surface?

Good question, but I do not have a definitive answer. I have heard both, that you want a slightly roughed up intake tract to help increase swirl thus resisting fuel pooling. But, I have also heard that is just a myth and you instead want a runner as smooth as glass for optimum airflow.... I think most work is more centered in the chamber, valves, and at the pr pinch.... but is dependant on the particular cylinder head is my guess.
Posted on: 2008/12/22 22:41

Elite Guru
1782 Posts

Have also heard that on a CNC surface the air "skips" over it a little easier but who knows for sure. Im guessing that with a fuel injected car provided its tuned right it doesnt matter, its already atomized coming out of the injector unlike a carb and has a very short distance to go to the bowl.
Posted on: 2008/12/22 22:49

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

I did some browsing.

David Vizard says polishing doesn't gain you anything.

Seems that anything smooth to the touch is as good as it gets for airflow. A mirror shine is for bling and running the price up and has no performance benefit.

A slightly rough surface can help with surface turbulence and keep fuel from sticking to the sides, particularly during cold operation.

Rough surfaces also foul more easily, so a baby smooth exhaust port and valve is a good idea.

Slick combustion chambers resist preignition better, due to reducing hot spots (high spots) that can't conduct heat to the coolant as quickly.
Posted on: 2008/12/22 22:50

BrianCunningham Re: Perhaps I was wrong....40HP? For you Tony!
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

That's a trick from the carb days, keeping the surface finish for proper fuel atomization.

One of the advantages of new style heads, like the LSX, is being able to point the injector straight at the back of the valve. The hot valve vaporizes the fuel.
Posted on: 2008/12/22 23:21

Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:

My understanding is that it makes no difference. Air rides on a small layer of air (if that makes any sense) and since the air going through the path to the cyl never actually touches the surface of that surface directly, it has zero effect. There's a specific technical engineering term for it which I can not remember right now. Polishing or "rough" finish is all a myth.

As far as wet flow vs. dry flow in the intake, the answer is the same as for heads. Most leading manufacturers have evolved past the hack, guess, and flow method as Beach Bum has described. They use a combination of CAD and wet flow to get to a design, then test it in a Spintron rigged with high speed cameras. What BB describes, is an antiquated method by today's standards. This is not one company's propaganda, it's pretty much industry accepted. That's not to say that what BB describes has no value at some point in the process, it's just not how development is done anymore. It's too expensive and time consuming. Better products can be developed faster and more cheaply using modern technology.
Posted on: 2008/12/23 13:14

Master Guru
751 Posts

Quote:

jsup wrote:

As far as wet flow vs. dry flow in the intake, the answer is the same as for heads. Most leading manufacturers have evolved past the hack, guess, and flow method as Beach Bum has described. They use a combination of CAD and wet flow to get to a design, then test it in a Spintron rigged with high speed cameras. What BB describes, is an antiquated method by today's standards. This is not one company's propaganda, it's pretty much industry accepted. That's not to say that what BB describes has no value at some point in the process, it's just not how development is done anymore. It's too expensive and time consuming. Better products can be developed faster and more cheaply using modern technology.

The hack & guess method ? How do you think a manufacturer got the original CAD file ? Then, after they get the CAD file, they will massage the tool path via a good cad/cam program.... Ie, the cam part being necessary unless you just want a useless cad file. (you could print it, but you can't machine it) Specifically, they are typically rounding the massive series of linear points they have to create a smooth path, this can be done in a variety of ways such as NURBS or simple G-code commands that instruct the CNC to automatically corner round each axes command transition. They can also shift it and massage the path, thus raising or lowering the roof for example or shifting the port enough to allow for a water jacket. But, I think I previously mentioned they massage the port design to get a casting.

All aftermarket cnc porting programs are created as I specified.... they have to be. The original manufacturers will take that original cad file and create different castings even for different cylinder head models in some cases, but for that performance CNC port ?

Spintron ??? Spintron is most commonly utilized for valvetrain issues.... when did they become involved in "creating" a tool path file for a cylinder head?.... thats new to me. I don't have any clue how that would work, can you elborate on how Spintron (the high speed cameras) would create a tool path ?

btw, with a wetflow tested port, what happens to it after a porter modifies with his own cnc program from a wetflow perspective?
Posted on: 2008/12/23 15:15

bogus Re: Perhaps I was wrong....40HP? For you Tony!
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quote:

jsup wrote:
Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:

My understanding is that it makes no difference. Air rides on a small layer of air (if that makes any sense) and since the air going through the path to the cyl never actually touches the surface of that surface directly, it has zero effect. There's a specific technical engineering term for it which I can not remember right now. Polishing or "rough" finish is all a myth.

Yes, that is called the boundry layer. Much like how a pickup truck bed works... it fills with air and creates a low pressure zone, allowing the air to just flow over it.
Posted on: 2008/12/23 15:43

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Quote:

BeachBum wrote:

The hack & guess method ? How do you think a manufacturer got the original CAD file ? Then, after they get the CAD file, they will massage the tool path via a good cad/cam program.... Ie, the cam part being necessary unless you just want a useless cad file. (you could print it, but you can't machine it) Specifically, they are typically rounding the massive series of linear points they have to create a smooth path, this can be done in a variety of ways such as NURBS or simple G-code commands that instruct the CNC to automatically corner round each axes command transition. They can also shift it and massage the path, thus raising or lowering the roof for example or shifting the port enough to allow for a water jacket. But, I think I previously mentioned they massage the port design to get a casting.

Sorry, perhaps I wasn't clear. That's why I said that it still has it's place.

I don't really understand how digitizing a port is hard. If you can't probe it, you certainly can't cut it.

If a company that does digitizing does not have the correct probes, they should hire an outside company to do the digitizing or buy the correct probe.

Further, what company is doing 5-axis port machining and does not have the CAD geometry for the casting? If they had the geometry for the casting, they could do the porting in CAD before machining. Am I wrong?

For clarity sake in the old days before CAD availability, the process was to take a head, hand port it, flow the port, see what you get.

The next step was to take the next cyl, port it slightly differently, flow it, see what you get.

Repeat six more times per set of heads. Pick the best one, repeat on a new set of heads.

Sometimes, you hit the mark either by skill or by accident. This was the "old time" process in getting port design. Time consuming and expensive.

Enter CNC, and as you spelled out, you had to re create it in the way you outline.

With current technology that process can be simulated and fed to the CNC machine, hell, I've seen it first hand where a design was fed to a machine that literally spit out a 3 dimensional representation carved from a solid block.

That design will be tested on a wet flow bench to ensure what they got, is what they expected. If it is not, that information fed back into the CAD for modification and further simulation.

As time goes on and more information is gathered, the old grind and guess method will be eliminated completely.

That is the way I understand it.
Quote:

Spintron ??? Spintron is most commonly utilized for valvetrain issues.... when did they become involved in "creating" a tool path file for a cylinder head?.... thats new to me. I don't have any clue how that would work, can you elborate on how Spintron (the high speed cameras) would create a tool path ?

Spintron is a separate issue. Remember what I said, outfitted with high speed cameras.

As a wet flow bench is used to verify design scientifically in a static situation, which is the limitation of wet flow, the Spintron allows engineers to see how this stuff works under operational environments. Cameras are actually put inside cylinders to see what happens in those conditions. It is far far more than just a valve train analyzer. It does NOT create a tool path at all. It is a tool to better understand what happens when a design is implemented in the field under the conditions it will be working. Has nothing to do with tooling.

Quote:

btw, with a wetflow tested port, what happens to it after a porter modifies with his own cnc program from a wetflow perspective?

I guess it depends on the change. The wet flow is to find out what happens after a change, hand or CNC port. That's the piont of wet flow and why it is a significant step up from dry flow. But still, because static, is still not as good as Spintron.
Posted on: 2008/12/23 18:37

Elite Guru
1782 Posts

The computer generated design is only as good as the person behind the keyboard. I know of at least one mfr that has that done and their heads are horrible. Perhaps some more talent there could change that.
Youd be surprised who still hand ports and manually changes their ports designs.
Posted on: 2008/12/23 18:46

Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Quote:

cuisinartvette wrote:
The computer generated design is only as good as the person behind the keyboard. I know of at least one mfr that has that done and their heads are horrible. Perhaps some more talent there could change that.
Youd be surprised who still hand ports and manually changes their ports designs.

Some will be better than others, and as more information is gathered through wet flow and Spintron, this should get better.

However, I believe it is better to be making mistakes and perhaps not getting perfect but have data to draw on the to hand port and not have the data. It's a question of gathering enough data to refine and define the process. At some point those who don't adopt technology will be left in the dust.

To ignore the technology and not collect the information will never result in break through designs. Hack and test in today's world is not a long term plan. I am sure there are plenty of companies that don't have sub standard designers behind a keyboard, and that their results are good. Don't throw out the technology because one company can't get it right.
Posted on: 2008/12/23 18:53

Master Guru
751 Posts

Quote:

jsup wrote:

Sorry, perhaps I wasn't clear. That's why I said that it still has it's place.

I don't really understand how digitizing a port is hard. If you can't probe it, you certainly can't cut it.

If a company that does digitizing does not have the correct probes, they should hire an outside company to do the digitizing or buy the correct probe.

Further, what company is doing 5-axis port machining and does not have the CAD geometry for the casting? If they had the geometry for the casting, they could do the porting in CAD before machining. Am I wrong?

For clarity sake in the old days before CAD availability, the process was to take a head, hand port it, flow the port, see what you get.

The next step was to take the next cyl, port it slightly differently, flow it, see what you get.

Repeat six more times per set of heads. Pick the best one, repeat on a new set of heads.

Sometimes, you hit the mark either by skill or by accident. This was the "old time" process in getting port design. Time consuming and expensive.

Enter CNC, and as you spelled out, you had to re create it in the way you outline.

With current technology that process can be simulated and fed to the CNC machine, hell, I've seen it first hand where a design was fed to a machine that literally spit out a 3 dimensional representation carved from a solid block.

That design will be tested on a wet flow bench to ensure what they got, is what they expected. If it is not, that information fed back into the CAD for modification and further simulation.

As time goes on and more information is gathered, the old grind and guess method will be eliminated completely.

That is the way I understand it.
Quote:

Spintron is a separate issue. Remember what I said, outfitted with high speed cameras.

As a wet flow bench is used to verify design scientifically in a static situation, which is the limitation of wet flow, the Spintron allows engineers to see how this stuff works under operational environments. Cameras are actually put inside cylinders to see what happens in those conditions. It is far far more than just a valve train analyzer. It does NOT create a tool path at all. It is a tool to better understand what happens when a design is implemented in the field under the conditions it will be working. Has nothing to do with tooling.

Quote:

I guess it depends on the change. The wet flow is to find out what happens after a change, hand or CNC port. That's the piont of wet flow and why it is a significant step up from dry flow. But still, because static, is still not as good as Spintron.

With Digitizing, it can actually be complex if you do not have the appropriate equipment. There are machines manufactured by companies like Browne & Sharp dedicated to just Digitizing and/or Tracing which is a similar, but more advanced technology. But, perhaps the toughest is the cost..... if you're going to do integrate the probe system to your VMC, you need to purchase the Probe system, stylists & MI interface system plus purchase the software ability as an option from your CNC manufacturer, provided they can do it, and do it well enough for you to make sense of, or you have to purchase a very expensive software package from Renishaw.....

I've done the above many times without the Renishaw software, luckily because my CNC has some really nice Probing canned cycles & Digitizing canned cycles. But, its all expensive, if you're using a Fanuc CNC, plus with everything above, you can be looking at $ 30,000 or more just on hardware plus the CNC software capability.

But, at the end of the day, if you have everything together and working..... it can be very easy, you are simply entering in the parameters of the area that you digitizing, the speed you are probing, the step down depth, the increment distance back-up and the next stepover.....plus you are labeling a destination file for your coordinate data you gather. Which can then be modified right at the CNC keyboard or downloaded and modified by your favorite cad/cam program. I will say, most companies do not have the ability to Digitize and even fewer have the ability to Trace simply because they do not understand the technology. Nowadays, there is even Laser digitizing that gathers array clouds of data in which you can then manipulate anyway you want..... but its expensive software to do this.

I could ramble on all day about this subject, but I won't.

With head porting without digitizing capability.... I don't know how they can do it without the original port file to begin with. The manufacturers can and do at least to some extent.... but each will have their own methods I am sure.

On Spintron technology, I've never looked closely into it other than I know some engine builders were using it many years ago to monitor what the valve/spring is doing, thus I know it helped some stablize the valve at rpm....or at least help stablize the spring through trial and error based upon what the camera's showed them..... I wasn't aware of any other use for it, but dunno.....

Gotta run.....
Posted on: 2008/12/23 20:15

Master Guru
751 Posts

Quote:

cuisinartvette wrote:

This is very true I think.... and is for a variety of reasons, one is that the software used to teach is usually not the software on the floor of the actually manufacturing floor once the student gets a job in the real world. But, perhaps the biggest problem is the Post coding for each individual CNC control that also includes the machine configuration. Very few have this working cleanly, and even then they're not complete, they only work with the coding that has been done so far by whoever wrote the post code...... each CNC has 100 or more G-codes with different meanings and beyond a few of the basic codes, each works differently, now multiple that by how many cad/cam program producers and you can see the problem.
Posted on: 2008/12/23 20:45

Senior Guru
7763 Posts

Here's what's really going on in there
Posted on: 2008/12/23 20:51

brut Re: Perhaps I was wrong....40HP? For you Tony!
Guru Emeritus
New Albany, IN
1308 Posts

Wow..that is a great video!
Posted on: 2008/12/23 21:07
'02 Harley Davidson Heritage Softail Classic
'07 Hummer H3

Master Guru
751 Posts

cool video Brian !!

I wonder how they do that without the camera becoming part of the process ?.... my eyes aren't good enough to see exactly what is happening.
Posted on: 2008/12/23 21:11

Senior Guru
7763 Posts

Not sure on that one, but here's a system you can buy.

http://www.drivven.com/OpticalEngineController.htm

Quote:
Quartz and sapphire ports through piston crowns and cylinder walls enable researchers to analyze combustion events with high powered lasers and precision cameras.
Posted on: 2008/12/23 21:23

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.