Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
314 user(s) are online (262 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Regular Production Order
Commonly known as RPO. These are the codes that GM uses to identify options.

For example, LT1 is the RPO for the engine used from 1992-1996.

Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

348Fster SYS Code 1996 LT4 Coupe
Guru Newb
2 Posts

On a normal 25 mile drive today, the mileage indicator to the left of my speedometer blanked and SYS appeared for about 5-10 seconds...I ran the various items on that space, temps, mileage, etc but every 20-30 seconds SYS would appear for 5-10. When I reached my destination, I got out the manual and searched for SYS.......not there.....went to the local dealer who said they would scan it (altho one mechanic said that was usually a body system problem???)(He said that meant like a headlight relay malfunction....)

After the scan and the service mgr and 2 mechanics disappearing for coffee....the svc mgr appeared and said it meant the display system was failing and would need to be replaced....on this next Monday he woud call and find out the cost to replace the display...I mentioned they seem to rebuild them in Florida quite reasonably and would check there also...

On the drive home, the SYS never appeared on the display....Anyone have this happen? Or know what this really means...why didn't GM put it in the manual???? (Silly me, there's so much they didn't put in the manual...)

The sooner I can find out the better, but if it means I have to drive by the tach, then so be it...... Thanks
Posted on: 2008/12/27 7:55
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Jeffvette Re: SYS Code 1996 LT4 Coupe
Elite Guru
Not on CF
1297 Posts

Battery voltage is taking a dump.
Posted on: 2008/12/27 8:01

djxib Re: SYS Code 1996 LT4 Coupe
Senior Guru
North Georgia
456 Posts

Same thing on mine - something to do with low battery voltage sensed at startup. Replaced the battery and SYS went away!
Posted on: 2008/12/27 12:54

Josh Re: SYS Code 1996 LT4 Coupe
Guru
Raleigh, NC
666 Posts

Another flashing SYS light caused by a low/dieing/dead battery here. I would start there before replacing the cluster.
Posted on: 2008/12/27 13:41

Schrade Re: SYS Code 1996 LT4 Coupe
Elite Guru
eastern NC / e-i-e-i-o
1909 Posts

Quote:

348Fster wrote:
On a normal 25 mile drive today, the mileage indicator to the left of my speedometer blanked and SYS appeared for about 5-10 seconds...I ran the various items on that space, temps, mileage, etc but every 20-30 seconds SYS would appear for 5-10. When I reached my destination, I got out the manual and searched for SYS.......not there.....went to the local dealer who said they would scan it (altho one mechanic said that was usually a body system problem???)(He said that meant like a headlight relay malfunction....)

After the scan and the service mgr and 2 mechanics disappearing for coffee....the svc mgr appeared and said it meant the display system was failing and would need to be replaced....on this next Monday he woud call and find out the cost to replace the display...I mentioned they seem to rebuild them in Florida quite reasonably and would check there also...

On the drive home, the SYS never appeared on the display....Anyone have this happen? Or know what this really means...why didn't GM put it in the manual???? (Silly me, there's so much they didn't put in the manual...)

The sooner I can find out the better, but if it means I have to drive by the tach, then so be it...... Thanks

Welcome to the boards there.

"Display system fail-ING??? Only HAL 9000 know when electricals are fail-ING. And the Psychic Hotline. But one was wrong, and the other is only for 'entertainment'.

That's a new one on me. But I never wrenced as a pro, so most stuff is new to me. I would have to have the techie SHOW me the diagnostic test that indicates fail-ING.

I don't think I'd buy a battery either, without getting IT tested.
Posted on: 2008/12/27 15:36

Resized Image

bogus Re: SYS Code 1996 LT4 Coupe
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Don't even bother replacing the cluster.

The SYS code is from the CCM. The CCM - Central Control Module - is in the dash, below and behind the radio. It's really a pain to reach.

The CCM controls and manages a number of things:

1. All IP functions
2. Integration with audio system (the SVC feature)
3. Integration with climate control programmer
4. Communications between ABS/ASR computer with PCM
5. Diagnostics for any number of ancillaries (horn and other things)
6. Airbag controller

The FSM outlines a detailed testing procedure for the CCM. I do have a guide for the 1992/93, but the codes are different in 1996 (I am about 98% sure of this) and the pins in the ALDL that are jumped are different. I do not currently have access to my 1996 FSM, but I am sure someone does to give you direction.

I agree that the battery is the #1 cause of this, but, if you just installed an aftermarket stereo, I would get suspicious.
Posted on: 2008/12/27 15:43

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

1Fast04Vert Re: SYS Code 1996 LT4 Coupe
Elite Guru
The hills of N. Georgia
2424 Posts

On the 96 the CCM is in the storage compartment behind the seat. When they added airbags it was relocated to behind the seat. I agree with everyone else though, leave the dash alone, check the battery.
Posted on: 2008/12/27 16:38

Elite Guru
Not on CF
1297 Posts

Quote:

95vette wrote:
On the 96 the CCM is in the storage compartment behind the seat. When they added airbags it was relocated to behind the seat. I agree with everyone else though, leave the dash alone, check the battery.

That's the stereo tuner you are thinking about. THe CCM is still buried in the dash behind the radio.
Posted on: 2008/12/27 18:19

1Fast04Vert Re: SYS Code 1996 LT4 Coupe
Elite Guru
The hills of N. Georgia
2424 Posts

Quote:

Jeffvette wrote:
Quote:

95vette wrote:

That's the stereo tuner you are thinking about. THe CCM is still buried in the dash behind the radio.

I was thinking the stereo unit was in compt behind the pass seat and the CCM was in the compt behind the driver's seat.
Obviously I have never had to look for it and hope I never have to. Thanks for straightening me out on this one.
Posted on: 2008/12/27 20:08

Elite Guru
Not on CF
1297 Posts

Quote:

95vette wrote:

I was thinking the stereo unit was in compt behind the pass seat and the CCM was in the compt behind the driver's seat.
Obviously I have never had to look for it and hope I never have to. Thanks for straightening me out on this one.

GM, does not want them easily accessible for certain reasons. Behind the driver seat is the ABS assembly & ABS computer and the FX3 control module.
Posted on: 2008/12/27 20:37

348Fster Re: SYS Code 1996 LT4 Coupe
Guru Newb
2 Posts

I'd like to thank everyone who got back, there was a battery post that was backing out of the battery, replaced with a longer screw in post...SYS has not appeared again...also thanks for the speed with which all replied....outstanding
Posted on: 2009/1/11 2:02

VetteUSA Re: SYS Code 1996 LT4 Coupe
Guru Newb
103 Posts

The guys that are on here, as well as other experienced folks on other boards, are the ones that I trust with my car, they are the first ones I will go to if there's ever a problem i don't know how to fix. They've never steered me wrong when it comes to troubleshooting car problems or when providing opinions and feedback. I can't believe the svc mgr said the display system would have to be replaced, yet another svc mgr trying to screw ppl out of money.

Top 2 reasons for a SYS error, as were mentioned above and are almost aways the issue, are: Battery problem, or aftermarket radio issue. The next two top reasons are: ECM/CCM communication error (but "ERR" would also show on the LCD), or VATS problem (but "Security" light would also flash).

Yikes, yeah, trust the folks on here.
Posted on: 2009/1/11 7:57

BrianCunningham Re: SYS Code 1996 LT4 Coupe
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

If it happens again, you can bring the error codes up on the dash. No need for a scanner for just getting the codes.
Posted on: 2009/1/11 13:47

bogus Re: SYS Code 1996 LT4 Coupe
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Glad we could help!! Hopefully, it won't happen again!
Posted on: 2009/1/11 15:06

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

MK 82 Re: SYS Code 1996 LT4 Coupe
Senior Guru
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
439 Posts

One reason why I would never let a dealership work on my car!!
Posted on: 2009/1/11 19:40

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.