Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
331 user(s) are online (259 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Offset
The distance from the wheel mounting flange to the imaginary centerline of the wheel. Wheels with negative offset will protrude outwards more, while...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

CorvetteBob In Memorium, My friend, Scott
Elite Guru
1409 Posts

Hi guys. Sorry to be a downer here but I gotta spill it.
One of my most longstanding friends past away in his sleep last night. Considering the level of health he's had for the past several years, it's not much of a surprise to me, but it still sucks to lose him. Scott and I became friends
30 years ago at Wright State University. Although we were in different fraternities, we became good friends because of our motorhead backgrounds. For a number of years we worked on cars of all sorts of cars and also partied and chased women together.
As life often does, it took us down different roads, but we always remained friends, contacting each other with car related prob's as needed, or just to hang out once in a while. In the past couple of years, his health has had some downturns resulting in blood clots, weight gain, and who knows what else. Yesterday, Friday morning, I was out with my wife when one of his upstairs tennants called to let me know Scott had died in his sleep.
Scott was married once, but she turned out to be unfaithful. Soon after his only brother died from complications after a tractor pulling incident. His mother died 3-4 years ago from aging related issues.
His only living family member is the father that robbed his family blind at every turn, cheated his sons and later betrayed Scott's mother.
Although his tennants are good guys Scott died lonely, and he didn't deserve to. I'm gonna miss the shit outta the big sumbitch.
Posted on: 2009/3/28 4:48

Sweet90 Re: In Memorium, My friend, Scott
Elite Guru
Edmonton, Alberta
1143 Posts

Sorry for your loss Bob. A friend for 30 years would be just like a brother.

Jim
Posted on: 2009/3/28 5:00

captmike13 Re: In Memorium, My friend, Scott
Elite Guru
Hillsboro Mo
2166 Posts

Our prayer out to ya. Friends like that don't come along very often.

Mike and Ellen
Posted on: 2009/3/28 5:04

captmike13@yahoo.com
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

CorvetteBob Re: In Memorium, My friend, Scott
Elite Guru
1409 Posts

Thanks guys, I appreciate it. And you're right, friends like Scott DON'T come along but a couple of times in any life. When we wrenched as a team, it was like there wasn't a busted down car that could beat us. we thought so much alike that we could just tear into a car and we'd each know where the other was at with it.

I have a great wife I love very much and we have two great kids to argue over. I've also been blessed in friendship as the guys from my college fraternity and I are all still close friends as well. But those guys aren't car guys.
Scott and I are car heads thru and thru, and I just hate like hell to lose any friendship for any reason.

As I write this, the impact his passing is starting to sink in and I think it might be tough to get past this one.
Thanks for your wishes and your time guys.
Posted on: 2009/3/28 5:27

Calm Re: In Memorium, My friend, Scott
Senior Guru
Vancouver, Canada
608 Posts

Hey Bob,
I really do feel for ya.
I lost a dear car guy friend when we were 19, many years ago. He was pulling a 12 bolt rear end when the jack slipped and diff crushed on his chest. He survived for about 1/2 hour until the meds decided to lift the chevelle off him, knowing it would end his life. It did.

Here we all were (50 of us car guys), at his funeral two days later, all in shock and totally dismayed at life being so damn short for Wes. At 19, we thought we could 'accept' this more if we were....like....40! But NOT at 19!

Here we are at 50+....got our suits pressed and ready.......

and it's still not fair.

Still not fair.

True friends come around sparingly in life, and life is all too short.

My heart truly goes out to you. To Scott. And to Wes.

May he have a sweet journey....and perhaps hook up with Wes.

: )
Posted on: 2009/3/28 8:26

Matatk Re: In Memorium, My friend, Scott
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Very sorry to hear about that, Bob. Best wishes and remember the good times with him.

Matthew
Posted on: 2009/3/28 11:20

CSS996 Re: In Memorium, My friend, Scott
Mega Guru
Central PA
3644 Posts

Certainly you must take some time to grieve. Do that, but spend more time later remembering what a good friend he was. Keep him in your heart. I don't think Scott would want you to be miserable. He doesn't sound like that kind of guy.
Posted on: 2009/3/28 14:04

pianoguy Re: In Memorium, My friend, Scott
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

I'm so sorry for your loss, Bob - the hardest thing in life is saying goodbye to those that are close to you. It sounds like he's in better hands now. He'll be with you every time you turn a wrench.
Posted on: 2009/3/28 15:01

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

CorvetteBob Re: In Memorium, My friend, Scott
Elite Guru
1409 Posts

You guys are right. I do have to get on with it and remember the good times.

Hey Calm... When I hoist one for Scott, I dedicate a swig or two for Wes and all our friends that are waiting for us under the hood in heaven.

Among the fun times, when Scott and I started wrenching together, we were all still fighting the "Disco Wars". Like most, we had some tunes on while working. Every once in a while, one of us would look up and discover the other workin' his dance moves with a greasy face and wrench in hand. Next thing you know, we'd both be dancing with our dream girl in the driveway! By the way, this is the 1st and only time either of us has publicly admitted to, "grease dancing".

Another time, we were putting taller front coils into the Monte Carlo and having some trouble. After fighting and fighting,
we took a break, got about a thousand jack stands, and secured the car. I did a few push ups to warm up and crawled under the a-arm and pushed like hell so Scott could engage the spring compressor. He just looked at me and started asking if I was OK and what the hell am I doing etc, etc... I just yelled, "thread the damned thing will ya!?!?" Afterward he asked me how I did that, and I only said "I dunno, I just did it." That was another laughing story we told for years.

I gotta tell you, it really helps getting some of this out,
I hope these stories have made sense and you enjoyed them too.
Posted on: 2009/3/28 15:54

Epimax Re: In Memorium, My friend, Scott
Elite Guru
Wilmington, NC
1814 Posts

Quote:

Sweet90 wrote:
Sorry for your loss Bob. A friend for 30 years would be just like a brother.

Jim

Yes it would, just like a brother ideed...
I lost my brother 3 yrs ago to cancer. He was 39 yrs old..

So Sorry Man....Prayers sent your way...

David
Posted on: 2009/3/28 17:21

bogus Re: In Memorium, My friend, Scott
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Emax said it. My brother passed 6 years ago from cancer at 52. It hurts.

My heart goes out to you for your loss and to Scott for being dealt such a crappy hand. It sounds like he overcame the hand, to a degree.

It is a sucker punch to the belly when a close friend or relative dies like this.

Gods Speed.
Posted on: 2009/3/28 17:53

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.