Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
223 user(s) are online (171 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  TLS
Transverse Leaf Spring

A design first used by Chevrolet in the 1963 Corvette with independent rear suspension. When centrally mounted, it function...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

Matatk WTF is wrong with some cultures?
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22807 Posts

Now I try to be as open minded as possible and not have an ethnocentric view of the world, but this is ridiculous:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090430/a ... a/ml_saudi_child_marriage

Quote:
8-year-old Saudi girl divorces 50-year-old husband

By HADEEL AL-SHALCHI, Associated Press Writer Hadeel Al-shalchi, Associated Press Writer – 43 mins ago

CAIRO – An 8-year-old Saudi girl has divorced her middle-aged husband after her father forced her to marry him last year in exchange for about $13,000, her lawyer said Thursday.

Saudi Arabia has come under increasing criticism at home and abroad for permitting child marriages. The United States, a close ally of the conservative Muslim kingdom, has called child marriage a "clear and unacceptable" violation of human rights.

The girl was allowed to divorce the 50-year-old man who she married in August after an out-of-court settlement had been reached in the case, said her lawyer, Abdulla al-Jeteli. The exact date of the divorce was not immediately known.

A court in the central Oneiza region previously rejected a request by the girl's mother for a divorce and ruled that the girl would have to wait until she reached puberty to file a petition then.

There are no laws in Saudi Arabia defining the minimum age for marriage. Though a woman's consent is legally required, some marriage officials don't seek it.

But there has been a push by Saudi human rights groups to define the age of marriage and put an end to the phenomenon.

One Saudi human rights activist Sohaila Zain al-Abdeen was optimistic that the girl's divorce would help efforts to get a law passed enforcing a minimum marriage age of 18.

"Unfortunately, some fathers trade their daughters," she told The Associated Press. "They are weak people who are sometimes in need of money and forget their roles as parents."

It was not clear if the man received money for the divorce settlement. The man had given the girl's father 50,000 riyals, or about $13,350, as a marriage gift in return for his daughter, the lawyer said.

The 8-year-old girl's marriage was not the only one in the kingdom to receive attention in recent months. Saudi newspapers have highlighted several cases in which young girls were married off to much older men or young boys including a 15-year-old girl whose father, a death-row inmate, married her off to a cell mate.

Saudi Arabia's conservative Muslim clergy have opposed the drive to end child marriages. In January, the kingdom's most senior cleric said it was permissible for 10-year-old girls to marry and those who believe they are too young are doing the girls an injustice.

But some in the government appear to support the movement to set a minimum age for marriage. The kingdom's new justice minister was quoted in mid-April as saying the government was doing a study on underage marriage that would include regulations.

There are no statistics to show how many marriages involving children are performed in Saudi Arabia every year. Activists say the girls are given away in return for hefty marriage gifts or as a result of long-standing custom in which a father promises his infant daughters and sons to cousins out of a belief that marriage will protect them from illicit relationships.
Posted on: 2009/5/1 0:46

captmike13 Re: WTF is wrong with some cultures?
Elite Guru
Hillsboro Mo
2166 Posts

That isn't the worst of it. Because they are married they are allowed to have sex with them. Which of course in my view just sick and wrong.
Posted on: 2009/5/1 0:59

captmike13@yahoo.com
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

CentralCoaster Re: WTF is wrong with some cultures?
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Quote:

captmike13 wrote:
That isn't the worst of it. Because they are married they are allowed to have sex with them. Which of course in my view just sick and wrong.

Some people are going to do that whether or not it's legal.

But I'll take a wild guess that Habeeb didn't pay her father $13K just so he could babysit.

As for the minimum age, I'm not going to impose my beliefs on another culture, but they should at least have a standard with some sort of scientific basis. Age of consent laws in the U.S. are 16 and up, but I'm sure if you go back 20 years, it was lower.

Minimum age for marriage could be totally different, who knows.
Posted on: 2009/5/1 1:35

C4FUN Re: WTF is wrong with some cultures?
Guru Newb
Lost in San Diego
31 Posts

Wow, she's acting like a baby! Seriously though, isn't this the same country that punishes women that are the victim of rape? I would never suggest that having sex with a minor is anything less than dispicable. However, if I could buy someone that would do my laundry, do the cooking, and keep the house clean for $13,000.....
Posted on: 2009/5/1 4:28

Epimax Re: WTF is wrong with some cultures?
Elite Guru
Wilmington, NC
1814 Posts

Quote:

captmike13 wrote:

Same here...
I can't even begin to comprehend how anyone would think this is acceptable..by any stretch of the imagination..
Sick...That's the best way I can describe it...
Posted on: 2009/5/1 10:13

Matatk Re: WTF is wrong with some cultures?
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22807 Posts

Quote:

C4FUN wrote:
However, if I could buy someone that would do my laundry, do the cooking, and keep the house clean for $13,000.....

You can - they're called maids. But they aren't 8 and you don't have sex with them.
Posted on: 2009/5/1 11:37

DaleD Re: WTF is wrong with some cultures?
Senior Guru
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
1389 Posts

Not all cultures are equal.
There is such a thing as an inferior culture, contrary to popular PC teachings.
Posted on: 2009/5/1 13:01

bogus Re: WTF is wrong with some cultures?
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

CC - you are right.

Back in the early 1980s, age of consent was as low as 13 - some southern states.

As more and more sexual assaults occurred to minors and pedophiles created more headlines, they started to raise that age.

I think it is 16 in most states, but with all these caveats. For example, at 16, the teen cannot consent with someone over 21. The idea is to keep them within a certain age range. Again, to protect the teen.

These laws have also created loopholes, putting kids in jail. There are laws where girls under 16 cannot provide consent at all, and that means the 17 YO boy who dates the 15 YO girl could easily end up in jail... this happened a couple of times in GA recently.

As I remember it, GA rewrote their law that basically allows for the "high school exclusion." This means that if the kids are both enrolled in school, they are excempt from these types of laws. So, for whatever it's worth, the 19 YO senior can get nasty with the 14 YO freshman if the situation so arises.
Posted on: 2009/5/1 13:52

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

C4FUN Re: WTF is wrong with some cultures?
Guru Newb
Lost in San Diego
31 Posts

"You can - they're called maids. But they aren't 8 and you don't have sex with them."

I don't want to have sex with an child, and anyone can rent a a maid. I'm talking ownership. I'm holding out for a Stepford robot.
Posted on: 2009/5/1 19:24

CentralCoaster Re: WTF is wrong with some cultures?
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

An 8 yr old wouldn't be very good at dusting, or putting dishes away in the top cupboard.
Posted on: 2009/5/1 19:31

BrianCunningham Re: WTF is wrong with some cultures?
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

Eight!

WTF!!!
Posted on: 2009/5/1 19:49

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.