Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
276 user(s) are online (211 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
 Register To Post

Travis93 MSD Optispark with wrong connector, now what?
Senior Guru
Cleveland Ohio
205 Posts

OK got my new MSD optispark today and it has the wrong size 4 conductor connector. The MSD unit is almost twice the size of the OEM. Is there an adapter for this or if someone could help me out with part numbers I could make my own adapter. I have been looking for something but everything I find that looks like it does not have dimensions so I don't know if they are the big little or another size. Please help this is all driving me nuts.
Posted on: 2009/6/8 23:50
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

tjpreul Re: MSD Optispark with wrong connector, now what?
Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
1103 Posts

I ended up hard wiring mine in. Here is an answer from BillH when I installed mine.

"I need to add on the 92, unless MSD made a change recently, the opti connector will fit a Caprice harness but not the corvette.

This isn't a big deal, just 4 wires to solder and heat shrink.

Here's the wire connections:
92 LT1 MSD

black/red(stripe) to brown/yellow - low resolution

purple/white to brown/orange - hi res

yellow to red - 12 volt

black/pink to red/green - ground

The 5th wire in the LT1 harness is a ground/shielding wire. It's not needed on the MSD Opti. It doesn't connect to anything on the GM Opti either, just wraped around the other 4 wires for shielding."
Posted on: 2009/6/9 0:27

pianoguy Re: MSD Optispark with wrong connector, now what?
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

The MSD was a bit different from OEM (at least it was for my 96) - its longer cable is hard-wired onto the opti where the factory one is not. This eliminated a stretch of factory cable - the longer MSD cable just plugged in up on the passenger side of the intake manifold.
Posted on: 2009/6/9 0:32

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

Travis93 Re: MSD Optispark with wrong connector, now what?
Senior Guru
Cleveland Ohio
205 Posts

Quote:

pianoguy wrote:
The MSD was a bit different from OEM (at least it was for my 96) - its longer cable is hard-wired onto the opti where the factory one is not. This eliminated a stretch of factory cable - the longer MSD cable just plugged in up on the passenger side of the intake manifold.

Ahh the missing piece of information... What I was upset about being wrong turns out to be a poorly documented improvement. thank you very much for the help.
Posted on: 2009/6/9 1:27

Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

No problem - hope she runs like a champ!
Posted on: 2009/6/9 1:43

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

Senior Guru
Cleveland Ohio
205 Posts

Ok new opti is in and the car runs worse than ever. Now its a bad miss even at idle and now there is a backfire too. If I have time tomorrow I am going to go over everything again and make sure I did not miss anything like crossing plug wires but I was pretty careful so I do not expect to find anything.
Posted on: 2009/6/10 0:31

BrianCunningham Re: MSD Optispark with wrong connector, now what?
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

Ignition module?

When's the last time you changed the filter?
Posted on: 2009/6/10 13:27

Senior Guru
Cleveland Ohio
205 Posts

I just ordered a coil, it was cheep so I figured why not. I am going to test the ignition module when I am able to find the procedure. The air filter was changed last year but I should probably get in there and see what it looks like anyway.
Posted on: 2009/6/10 14:55

Senior Guru
Cleveland Ohio
205 Posts

It looks like I may have found my problem.

Resized Image

I don't know how I missed this while installing the new optispark. I am sure the reason I could not see the arching in a dark garage was because they were touching the header and making such a small spark with isolation covering what little there was and it was all happening under the alternator. So now I get to replace spark plug wires one the hardest side to work on. Anyone want to give me some advice about the easiest way to run these wires?
Posted on: 2009/6/11 15:56

1Fast04Vert Re: MSD Optispark with wrong connector, now what?
Elite Guru
The hills of N. Georgia
2424 Posts

Quote:

Travis93 wrote:
It looks like I may have found my problem.

Resized Image

I don't know how I missed this while installing the new optispark. I am sure the reason I could not see the arching in a dark garage was because they were touching the header and making such a small spark with isolation covering what little there was and it was all happening under the alternator. So now I get to replace spark plug wires one the hardest side to work on. Anyone want to give me some advice about the easiest way to run these wires?

There is no easy way, but loosening up the PS pump and sliding it forward a bit sure helps. Otherwise a trained monkey with long skinny arms would help. I heard there are some GM engineers available cheap, but you probably couldn't train them.
Posted on: 2009/6/11 17:26

jdtireman Re: MSD Optispark with wrong connector, now what?
Senior Guru
Winnipeg
176 Posts

I'm just finishing the same job on my 93. I tried to save some time on replacing my wires and while pulling the wires off the dist, I broke three of the nipples on the optispark dist cover. What a Homer! Anyway, I was able to find a stock optispark cap and rotor locally and have spent the last 3 nights learning how to bend my elbows backwards. What a P.I.T.A. this job is!!! The big lesson - read your service manual and don't try to skip a step or two. Once I removed the water pump and crank pulley there is almost enogh room to work. At times like this I would love to have a factory engineer to kick around the garage. Rant, Rant, Rant!! All done now.
Posted on: 2009/6/11 17:45

Senior Guru
Cleveland Ohio
205 Posts

I know pulling the water pump would make it a lot easier but I really don't want to do that again so soon. Seems like the pump should at least stay on for a week.
Posted on: 2009/6/11 18:03

Elite Guru
The hills of N. Georgia
2424 Posts

Quote:

Travis93 wrote:
I know pulling the water pump would make it a lot easier but I really don't want to do that again so soon. Seems like the pump should at least stay on for a week.

The PS pump, not the water pump. I didn't say it would be easy.
Posted on: 2009/6/11 18:11

Senior Guru
Cleveland Ohio
205 Posts

Quote:

95vette wrote:
Quote:

Travis93 wrote:

Yea jdtireman said water pump. I just wish there was a way from underneath or something. I know its not easy.
Posted on: 2009/6/11 18:21

Elite Guru
The hills of N. Georgia
2424 Posts

Quote:

Travis93 wrote:
Quote:

95vette wrote:
Quote:

Travis93 wrote:

Yea jdtireman said water pump. I just wish there was a way from underneath or something. I know its not easy.

Someday I will learn to be more specific. Yes, you loosen the PS pump, slide it forward an inch or so. Take the inner fender panels off. Then go at the wires from underneath and on top as well. If you really want to you can pull the alternator to get a bit more room from the top, but not sure how much that would help. OR do it the lazy man's way and just get the protective boots and slide them over your existing wires and leave them on the car.
Posted on: 2009/6/11 18:43

Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Some folks remove the PS pulley - I imagine this might make things easier when you have the water pump, etc. on there.
Posted on: 2009/6/11 19:07

Senior Guru
Cleveland Ohio
205 Posts

I think loosening the PS pump sounds like a good idea I did understand what you had to say. I don't think the alternator would help much the bracket under it blocks almost everything anyway. Pulling the water pump makes for a lot of extra room but it sucks draining the radiator again so I think I will probably try and work on it with that pump in place and pull it as a last resort.
Posted on: 2009/6/11 19:09

Senior Guru
Cleveland Ohio
205 Posts

Quote:

pianoguy wrote:
Some folks remove the PS pulley - I imagine this might make things easier when you have the water pump, etc. on there.

I looked it didn't look removable, crimped on. Did I miss something?
Posted on: 2009/6/11 19:11

Elite Guru
The hills of N. Georgia
2424 Posts

Quote:

Travis93 wrote:
Quote:

pianoguy wrote:

Actually the pulley is pressed on. You can rent (borrow) a puller/installer at about any auto parts store. I don't know if there is enough room in there to pull it off though.
Posted on: 2009/6/11 20:37

BillH Re: MSD Optispark with wrong connector, now what?
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

95vette wrote:
Quote:

Travis93 wrote:
Quote:

pianoguy wrote:

Actually the pulley is pressed on. You can rent (borrow) a puller/installer at about any auto parts store. I don't know if there is enough room in there to pull it off though.

Yes, one of the tools no LT1 owner should be without. For the extremely high price of $24 for the puller/installer, you can save a hours time in the first use.
Once the belt's off, pulling the puly takes 60 seconds.

Preformance Tool p/n 87022 - $24 available at PepBoys, SummitRacing, etc.

You'd spend $24 of your time and gas just going out to borrow one.
Posted on: 2009/6/11 23:40

Senior Guru
Cleveland Ohio
205 Posts

I can see how pulling the pulley off would make things a bit better but pressing it back on in there is the problem. I like the idea of taking the hole pump loose right now but I have not started the job yet. New plug wires should be here overnight so tomorrow I will be up to my eyes in back ache.
Posted on: 2009/6/12 0:18

BillH Re: MSD Optispark with wrong connector, now what?
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

Travis93 wrote:
I can see how pulling the pulley off would make things a bit better but pressing it back on in there is the problem. I like the idea of taking the hole pump loose right now but I have not started the job yet. New plug wires should be here overnight so tomorrow I will be up to my eyes in back ache.

Travis, the $24 tool has an installer too. It takes another 60 seconds to put the pully back on. With the pully off you don't have to mess with the pump and you can see the left side of the opti easily.
Posted on: 2009/6/12 1:12

SpectatorRacing Re: MSD Optispark with wrong connector, now what?
Elite Guru
1721 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:

Travis, the $24 tool has an installer too. It takes another 60 seconds to put the pully back on. With the pully off you don't have to mess with the pump and you can see the left side of the opti easily.

What fun is that? You might walk away with your knuckles intact, nobody should do an opti job without cuts and bruises!
Posted on: 2009/6/12 17:57

Senior Guru
Cleveland Ohio
205 Posts

Well job is done and its running great, I can finally work on the tune. I took the PS pump loose and that didn't get me any ware. I don't see how removing the pulley would help much more so off with the Water pump... Again!! After I got it off I noticed the belt tensioner is right where I wanted to be working and only has 1 bolt holding it on so I took that off too. I am wandering now though if I could have got the plugs on by only removing the tensioner.
Posted on: 2009/6/12 22:17

Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Quote:

Travis93 wrote:
Well job is done and its running great, I can finally work on the tune. I took the PS pump loose and that didn't get me any ware. I don't see how removing the pulley would help much more so off with the Water pump... Again!! After I got it off I noticed the belt tensioner is right where I wanted to be working and only has 1 bolt holding it on so I took that off too. I am wandering now though if I could have got the plugs on by only removing the tensioner.

Good to hear! You never know, maybe the tensioner would be the trick - worth a shot if there is a next time ;-)
Posted on: 2009/6/12 22:35

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.