Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
130 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  4L60E
1994-1996, the 4L60 with Electronic Control. From what I have seen, it seems a bit more durable....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

Matatk Wednesday Chat 07.01.09
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22807 Posts

Good Morning CGs!

Welcome to July! The year is half over already. Absolutely crazy, huh?

Well, I did a brake job on my MIL's car last night. It's a 2000 Honda Civic. What a horrible experience that was. It was a nightmare. For some reason, the undercarriage of that car is so rusted and corroded it looks like it was parked at the bottom of the ocean for a year or two. So of course, the caliper bolt snapped off inside the caliper bracket when I was taking it off (using a 3/8 wrench and little force). No parts store has it. You're telling me that one of the most common cars in America and no parts store has a $1.99 bolt? Frick. I ended up finding a bolt at the hardware store that fit almost perfect, I had to grind 2 mm off the end. Total cost plus tax, $1.18. Add that to the fact that I had to drill out the bracket (and the EZ out refused to work) and retap the hole which took a long time and the extra trip to the part store to rebuy the correct pads instead of the ones my wife bought originally and all the other headaches made for a long night. Took it for a test drive and something is squeaking. Ugh. I don't know if it's the wheel bearing, cheap Chinese rotors and pads not lining up properly, caliper not retracting fully? Plus the pedal is spongy (to me, at least) but it still brakes hard when you step on 'em. I'm gonna bleed the brakes tonight and see if that helps. If I hadn't mentioned it, I hate Honda Civics.

Hope everyone has a great day!

Matthew
Posted on: 2009/7/1 11:33

TommyT-Bone Re: Wednesday Chat 07.01.09
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33777 Posts

Retirement, 6 month update.

I'm still waiting to start my retirement. I'm so damn busy I can understand how going to work is like taking a break. Went to pick up the 90 Corvette yesterday. Fuel pump was replaced. I left it there because I have an annoying idle problem and the belt tensioner is jumping a little more than I'd like. Today they'll put on a new tensioner, serp belt and clean the throttle body. See if that helps. I went to get an oil change for my Yukon when I test drove my Corvette. A return coolant nipple (can I say that) is showing some corrosion because of mismatched metals, aluminum to steel, and my radiator was cracked by the top corner of the plastic tank. The Yukon is 10 years old so stuff like that is bound to happen. I could spend all my time fixing that stuff but I have plenty to do without trying to tackle jobs like that.
SoFlo weather update. Hot and muggy followed by wet, hot and muggy. Tonight, expect hot and muggy. These conditions are expected to continue for the next several months except for the occasional tropical storm and /or hurricane conditions. Stay tuned for your next weather update.

Time for a bathroom break ............

Attach file:

jpg  Bathroom break.jpg (45.20 KB)
852_4a4b53502e1f3.jpg 480X672 px
Posted on: 2009/7/1 12:08
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Epimax Re: Wednesday Chat 07.01.09
Elite Guru
Wilmington, NC
1814 Posts

Good Morning!

Can't believe it's July already...
Good Grief, where does the time go?

Hot/Humid here too-- Just the usual chance of afternoon T-storms, otherwise hot and dry....
Looks like good weather on tap for extended weekend...
Now, if I can just make it until tomorrow afternoon...

Posted on: 2009/7/1 12:28

pianoguy Re: Wednesday Chat 07.01.09
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Greetings! My wife is taking tomorrow off to make it an extra-long weekend, so I'm mulling over that option - seeming like a better idea all the time.

We had a little tournament at golf league last night - I played pretty lousy, but managed to win the long drive hole - felt pretty good, as I figured my days of winning those were over. They grilled some burgers afterward, and I'm fairly certain that someone substituted Colon Blow for the mustard.

Anybody ever try one of those Fox Raincoat soft tops for a C4 coupe? They sell for something like $379 at Ecklers - I snagged one on ebay last night for $150, brand-new. Hope it works well - it would be nice to not have to lug around the targa all the time.
Posted on: 2009/7/1 12:42

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

BillH Re: Wednesday Chat 07.01.09
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

We had clouds yesterday (unusual) and the kind of rain that doesn't hit the ground. The humidity went way up to something like 29%. It did cool things down though.

UPS guy brought me this yesterday, now I only have 6,000 staples to go.Hope I don't screw this floor up, it would be expensive.

Attach file:

jpg  IMGP0518.jpg (0.00 KB)

Posted on: 2009/7/1 13:14

teebee Re: Wednesday Chat 07.01.09
2014 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Lakin, Kansas 67860
12375 Posts

Matt, I had a brake job very similar to yours, but it was an Olds Alero. Makes you crazy, a half hour job turns into an all nighter. Tommy I don't want to hear this about retirement, I'm a year away from retiring from teaching, but I usually find that my summers are like that, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Brad, long drive? Wow, you must be an animal. Colon Blow? We have that every week, but it's by choice. We have one guy that brings his homemade salsa each week, if you are constipated, this stuff will fix you, but man does it taste good. Bill, is the flooring prefinished? That pneumatic stapler will make things much easier. I'm sure you'll do fine.

Hot here today, I think I have all my tools lined up, I just have to load them up and hit the road tomorrow. I am leaving earlier than the wife, as I am taking at least two of the grandsons with me (maybe all three), and the wife is riding up with the middle daughter as they both have to work tomorrow until 5. Today I need to get that fireplace mantle installed and a bid on some cabinet doors finished and emailed.
Posted on: 2009/7/1 13:22

One of Americas' proud Deplorable

Resized Image

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Yea, Tom the flooring's prefinished and it as on a warehouse sale price about 1/3rd retail.
I going down to the shop try out this stapler right now. It was inexpensive compared to Bostitch and cost the same amount as adhesieve would have. Plus the flooring adapter comes off easily and it's a normal crown stapler.
Posted on: 2009/7/1 13:34

teebee Re: Wednesday Chat 07.01.09
2014 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Lakin, Kansas 67860
12375 Posts

What is the range of lengths of staples the gun will handle? I assume that it is a 1/4" crown.

You want to be careful with those guns, last fall I was re-building a drawer for one of the other teachers, and long story shortened, I shot myself in the hand with a 5/8" staple. Not good, but it didn't really hurt, but I did have to have surgery to remove the dam* thing.
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v281/toms94/furniture/DSC_1761.jpg[/IMG]
Posted on: 2009/7/1 13:58

One of Americas' proud Deplorable

Resized Image

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

teebee wrote:
What is the range of lengths of staples the gun will handle? I assume that it is a 1/4" crown.

You want to be careful with those guns, last fall I was re-building a drawer for one of the other teachers, and long story shortened, I shot myself in the hand with a 5/8" staple. Not good, but it didn't really hurt, but I did have to have surgery to remove the dam* thing.

Ouch, In my first year of college, I worked in a furniture factory and, of course,ran my thimb into the blade of a tablesaw. but I bleed just as much working on cars.

The Grex has a safety, one of the checks when you first use it is to hold it in the air, pull the trigger,it shouldn't fire the put it on a piece of wood, depress the safety and it shouldn't fire.

Staple range is 3/8th to 1 1/4 in (18 gauge). I looked around before I bought it, Grex got good reviews online in Woodworking mag.
There's not that many flooring staplers available at decent prices, especially ones that will convert to a regular stapler. Some are over $450. The best prices on Bostitch and Senco are over $260. I got this for $173 shipped.
Posted on: 2009/7/1 14:36

CSS996 Re: Wednesday Chat 07.01.09
Mega Guru
Central PA
3644 Posts

Good Morning Gurus!

Nothing to report, except my flakey clients continue to re-reschedule shoots and edits. I keep feeling like I cannot remember what day it is, and where I am supposed to be.

Hopefully I don't miss a shoot! That would be horrible.

Take care folks!
Posted on: 2009/7/1 14:38

bastet44 Re: Wednesday Chat 07.01.09
Webmaster
San Pedro, CA
1389 Posts

Greetings Gurus!

Not much going on except time just keeps flyin' by!

Word of the Day for Wednesday, July 1, 2009

penury
\PEN-yuh-ree\, noun:

1. Extreme poverty; destitution.
2. Absence of resources; insufficiency.
Posted on: 2009/7/1 23:52

TommyT-Bone Re: Wednesday Chat 07.01.09
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33777 Posts

When you lie using a writing implement. Penury .....
Posted on: 2009/7/2 0:54

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.