Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
232 user(s) are online (153 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Sting Ray
1963 through 1967 Corvette.

Not to be confused with the Stingray, 1969-1976....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

jaa1992 Replacing things on my 92
Guru
Stone Mtn, GA (near Atlanta)
187 Posts

Questions:

My Flywheel has over 100k (DM).
I probably will be pulling my engine around Labor day.
Good/bad idea to change clutch and flywheel at same time?

Should I get everything from Carolina clutch?
Aluminum or steel flywheel?

Stock replacement or stage2?

I don't care about the extra noise. I use the car 20% on the street and 80% on road courses.

Engine rebuild:
Most I can go is 355 ci without rollcage, truck and trailer.

Any issues with using something like this from Summit?

THanks in advance
Posted on: 2009/7/14 16:03
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

BrianCunningham Re: Replacing things on my 92
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

Dual Mass flywheels are getting hard to find.

See if you can even locate one.
Posted on: 2009/7/14 16:42

jaa1992 Re: Replacing things on my 92
Guru
187 Posts

Thats why I was asking about steel or aluminum replacement flywheels. I'm not going to worry about finding an unobtanium DM.

Checked Carolina Clutch website and it turns out the flywheels are the same price (AL ot steel).
When it gets closer to "pull the engine" time I'll order the aluminum. Any machine shop should be able to match balance it with my current DM - right?

Looks like they don't cary things like throwout bearings, clutch forks and slaves for the ZF. Any preferences for suppliers or just order from autozone or the like?
Posted on: 2009/7/14 17:22

BrianCunningham Re: Replacing things on my 92
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

The aluminum one I got for my dual disk setup came with removable weights, in case I internally balanced the engine. Which is exactly what I did.

I don't know about the others.
Posted on: 2009/7/14 17:55

rklessdriver Re: Replacing things on my 92
Senior Guru
Woodbridge, VA
1318 Posts

I know for a fact the Fidanza Alum, SPEC Steel and the SPEC Alum all come with a removeable weight so you can internal balance.

Yes a machine shop with a balancer should be able to trim the weight or add weight to match balance a new SM FW to your old DM FW.

I have a Fidanza Alum SM FW on my personal car and an engine I built last year for a friend over on CF, we used a SPEC Steel SM FW. Both were nice FW's, fit properly and yes the tranny noise is noticeable as compared to the stock DM espc since both of these cars have pretty healthy camshafts.
Will
Posted on: 2009/7/14 18:01

1972 Corvette. LS5 454 BBC with M20 4 speed.
Best Pass - Doing good to just pass a gas station.

Stl94LT1 Re: Replacing things on my 92
Guru Newb
128 Posts

If you are rebuilding the engine, it will probably need to be rebalanced. At this point the DM balance will be out of the equation.
Posted on: 2009/7/14 18:38

Jeffvette Re: Replacing things on my 92
Elite Guru
Not on CF
1297 Posts

Rebuild the motor to zero balance, then add the flywheel and balancer.
Posted on: 2009/7/14 18:47

SpectatorRacing Re: Replacing things on my 92
Elite Guru
1721 Posts

I have used the Caronlina Clutch stage 3, with the Fidanza Aluminium flywheel for about 4 years on the race car. I had the motor out last month for a refresh and the clutch and flywheel were in great shape. Of course I bought a new friction surface for the flywheel, but that's just an insert. Be careful installing the flywheel if you go aluminum. Lots of them strip the bolt holes that hold the clutch assy to the flywheel, including mine. Although the helicoil repair has held for as many years.

What are your goals for the rebuild? Personally, I'd use individual parts instead of a rebuild kit. You can do better for similar money for bearlings, oil pump, and gaskets. I used Clevite coated bearings and Speedpro file-to-fit rings, and of course Felpro gaskets everywhere.

What about the heads, anything for the top end? Valve job and a new valvetrain is recommended at the least.

As stated above, get the motor rotating assembly balanced, then balance your flywheel and your damper independantly. An LT1 is a zero balance machine...
Posted on: 2009/7/14 20:25

Elite Guru
1721 Posts

Quote:

I don't care about the extra noise. I use the car 20% on the street and 80% on road courses.

Be absolutely sure you mean this. Mine is LOUD, even with a big motor, no cats, and bullet mufflers. It sounds like a pile of rocks in a dryer.

Quote:

Most I can go is 355 ci without rollcage, truck and trailer.

You should have a rollcage if it's a track car, anyway. What about seats and harnesses? Do the right thing if you run that often and retire her from street duty. If you saw the C4 wreck that I saw last weekend you would agree...car rolled over 5 times. But with the right safety equpment and cage the driver walked away.
Posted on: 2009/7/14 20:31

Guru
187 Posts

Yes I know I'm on borrowed time without a cage, truck and trailer aren't in the budget yet. Not doing door-to-door racing. Think of it as HPDE 4, running about 8/10.

If I didn't have to rebuild the engine the cage would deffinately be on the winter parts list.

Thanks for the input on the parts, that should help.
When I pull the heads I'll clean them up and inspect them. Valve job and LT4 springs were done before I put them on last fall. Have less than 2000 miles on them.

I'll check with the machine shop and see what the charge is to balance the internals and add it to the list.

Thanks again!!!!
Posted on: 2009/7/14 22:24

Elite Guru
1721 Posts

Quote:

jaa1992 wrote:
Yes I know I'm on borrowed time without a cage, truck and trailer aren't in the budget yet. Not doing door-to-door racing. Think of it as HPDE 4, running about 8/10.

Just do the best you can. Make sure you at least have good harnesses (and properly installed), good helmet, etc. We all like to live in denial, but this stuff can be dangerous. I've been upside down, on fire, and into a few walls and I'm still here because of the right safety stuff.

Quote:
Thanks for the input on the parts, that should help.
When I pull the heads I'll clean them up and inspect them. Valve job and LT4 springs were done before I put them on last fall. Have less than 2000 miles on them.

I'll check with the machine shop and see what the charge is to balance the internals and add it to the list.

So your heads should be fine. Check this parts list for an idea of what other stuff will cost. This is the shop that did my heads and balanced my motor.

http://www.champion-performance.com/

click the "services" link, it's a full spreadsheet with pricing. A balance job is $200.

What did you decide on the clutch?
Posted on: 2009/7/15 14:36

bogus Re: Replacing things on my 92
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20861 Posts

Check RAM clutches. They have a C4 conversion that uses a hydraulic throw-out bearing.

Looks real interesting.
Posted on: 2009/7/15 14:42

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Guru
187 Posts

Quote:

SpectatorRacing wrote:
Just do the best you can. Make sure you at least have good harnesses (and properly installed), good helmet, etc. We all like to live in denial, but this stuff can be dangerous. I've been upside down, on fire, and into a few walls and I'm still here because of the right safety stuff.

What did you decide on the clutch?

I am still looking for someone local to get a quote for a cage, or atleast a roll bar that can be expanded to a cage.
So far everyone only wants to work on C5's. Shoot I can't even get a quote to weld in an autopower or similar roll bar. I'm avoiding just adding a harness bar, but may do it for the last few track days this year. Helmet is 9 years old SA2000, Don't know if I should pick a 2005 off clearance this December or wait for the 2010's. Its been a good open face helmet, but its time for a closed face.

Ahh - the clutch. I'm going to go with the stage 2 and aluminum flywheel. Seems like a tried and true solution, just hope at 2500 rpm on a 10 hour trip it doesn't drive me crazy. The aluminum flywheel should help me pull out of oak tree (VIR) or Turn 7 (Road Atl) and get up to speed quicker with the lower rotating mass.

Turns out my machine shop has a similar list of services so they should be able to balance everything.
Posted on: 2009/7/15 20:08

BillH Re: Replacing things on my 92
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

SpectatorRacing wrote:
[quote]
Make sure you at least have good harnesses (and properly installed).

Properly installed weither it's with a harnessbar or rollbar means: get rid of the stock seat and install one that allows the shoulderbelts to come thru the seat at the proper width.
Posted on: 2009/7/15 22:07

rklessdriver Re: Replacing things on my 92
Senior Guru
Woodbridge, VA
1318 Posts

I sent you a PM about the roll bar.

I'm orginally from around the Atlanta area and know several chassis people who can help you if you can't find anyone.
Will
Posted on: 2009/7/17 22:13

1972 Corvette. LS5 454 BBC with M20 4 speed.
Best Pass - Doing good to just pass a gas station.

Guru
187 Posts

Thanks for the info on the roll bar. I'll need it cause I've found a built 383 shortblock for a reasonable amount.

The wreck gave me pause and the found 383 make it a requirement.

Damn this track addiction is expensive!
Posted on: 2009/7/21 20:09

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.