Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
270 user(s) are online (217 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Stingray
1969 through 1976 Corvette.

Not to be confused with the Sting Ray, 1963 - 1967....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

BeachBum My Corvette Project is slowly progressing....
Master Guru
751 Posts

Haven't done much with my vette over the last month or two due to a heatwave on a level I personally have never experienced down here in my new home in Houston..... just too hot in the garage to get much done. But, its cooled down a little bit, so slowly making progress..... new engine, new converter, new transmission, new interior, with new paint to come soon.

mocking stuff up right now and getting ready to check pushrod length and then P-V clearance after I get those. But, its starting to look like a vehicle that can move again, albeit deceptive. But will be very soon.

[IMG]http://i526.photobucket.com/albums/cc342/tldrane/IMG_0380.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i526.photobucket.com/albums/cc342/tldrane/IMG_0384.jpg[/IMG]
Posted on: 2009/7/18 18:43
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

pianoguy Re: My Corvette Project is slowly progressing....
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Excellent - she'll be like new, only better!
Posted on: 2009/7/18 19:33

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

flyboy Re: My Corvette Project is slowly progressing....
Elite Guru
Westmont, Il.
2632 Posts

excellent!
Posted on: 2009/7/18 21:24

Matatk Re: My Corvette Project is slowly progressing....
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Someone stole your exhaust! JK. Looks like it's time to replace that lower rad hose. It's not shiny like the rest of the motor

Can't wait to see the final pics.

Matthew
Posted on: 2009/7/18 21:38

dan0617 Re: My Corvette Project is slowly progressing....
Senior Guru
Tyrone, PA
1260 Posts

Great to see the new build coming along! Did you ever buy the trans you were looking at from the guy I bought mine from? If so, it is pretty stout. I just posted another thread with my new track times. The trans never wavered. I even have the converter locking up in 3rd gear at WOT and I'm only running 3.07's. So far so good! Looking forward to numbers from your setup!
Posted on: 2009/7/18 22:20

BeachBum Re: My Corvette Project is slowly progressing....
Master Guru
751 Posts

Yes the radiator hose will be replaced, in fact, the whole radiator will be, just have to do it. I'll grab a paint bottle and clean-up a few things too.

Yes Dan, I have the exact same transmission as you, I bought mine a week or two after you did.... If that transmission can last just 1 or 2 full seasons of my type of racing, I'll be very happy.... once I get back running, I'll make an easy 200-300 passes per year. In theory, they all will be deep 10 second passes..... which is going to be a real test for that 700R4 !

My next project after this thing is back running is getting one of Jesse's solid rears..... I need an air conditioned garage though. No fun wrenching in a 100+ heat/high humidity garage.....
Posted on: 2009/7/18 22:52

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3933547 ... chevrolet-corvette/page-1

Senior Guru
Tyrone, PA
1260 Posts

I don't even have a garage!! I used my brother's unheated garage and pointed a kerosene jet heater at my ass while I swapped engines...twice..., and a trans this winter. All other work is done in my stone driveway. I have an old tonneau cover for laying on that my wife calls my garage! My avatar pic is at my in-laws, I used their garage the year before for a heads/cam/intake swap while they were away.

But I know how it would kill ambition to have a 100+ degree garage to work in. Glad to see you are making progress though, and hopefully the heat wave will end soon. Here in central PA, this has been the coldest summer ever. It only gets up to about 80 or so by day, and drops into the 50's and even once in a while high 40's at night. Swimming pool is ice cold, have to run the heater when driving with top down. Screwy weather extremes here and there by the sounds of it.
Posted on: 2009/7/19 1:39

Master Guru
751 Posts

When I lived in Ohio, I did all of my vette work in a cold garage.... it didn't really bother me though, it was okay. I did have a kerosene heater in it, it stunk and would only heat up the garage to around 30-40 degrees depending on how cold it was outside, but made it liveable.

Here in Houston, in June, I'm told they set every heat record they have ever had multiple times over. I believe it, we've hit 100 degrees just about every single day for the last 2 months..... high humidity comes with it.... and my garage is even hotter, this is an attached garage with no thru-air windows, air just hangs stagnent, you're dripping wet in 10 minutes. Stinks. :sad10: .... I just say screw it and let the vette sit and go inside.
Posted on: 2009/7/19 2:23

BrianCunningham Re: My Corvette Project is slowly progressing....
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

Nice seeing another project coming together.
Posted on: 2009/7/19 17:59

BillH Re: My Corvette Project is slowly progressing....
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

dan0617 wrote:
Here in central PA, this has been the coldest summer ever. It only gets up to about 80 or so by day, and drops into the 50's and even once in a while high 40's at night.

Very strange for central Pa. One of the big reasons I moved from central Pa. was the weather.
Posted on: 2009/7/19 19:00

Senior Guru
Tyrone, PA
1260 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:
Quote:

dan0617 wrote:
Here in central PA, this has been the coldest summer ever. It only gets up to about 80 or so by day, and drops into the 50's and even once in a while high 40's at night.

Very strange for central Pa. One of the big reasons I moved from central Pa. was the weather.

Where in PA did you live??

Was it the long cold winters or the hot summers you hated? Our summers aren't long enough IMO, but they are usually alot hotter than they are this year.
Posted on: 2009/7/20 2:20

Senior Guru
Tyrone, PA
1260 Posts

Quote:

BeachBum wrote:
Yes the radiator hose will be replaced, in fact, the whole radiator will be, just have to do it.

Do you need a new radiator or why are you upgrading? I was sure I was going to have to upgrade, but it turns out my car is plenty cool on the stock radiator. I even still have an air conditioner condenser and an aftermarket tranny cooler out front of it. Was surprised that it keeps the car cool idling forever on a hot day but it does. It goes up to about 200, maybe up to 205 tops while idling, has a 180 stat and fan comes on at 192. While driving it always stays below 195.

Of course 90 degrees outside is the most it's seen. I haven't experienced any of the 100+ degree days that you are getting so maybe you will need an upgrade.
Posted on: 2009/7/20 2:26

Master Guru
751 Posts

Dan I am getting a new Dewitt radiator....

With my old 383, the stock radiator was sufficient as well, but this new motor is a 436 sbc based upon a Dart little M and its going to get run very hard in one of the hottest big cities in the country.... I bracket race, and when you get later in the rounds, you're forced to hotlap it, and its going to be hard to keep the temp steady which is very important in bracket racing..... which is in part why I also put on a Meziere electric water pump for the new set-up too. I think the stock radiator might have been adequate for tooling around town with this motor, but for what I'll be doing.... would not have made it, this I am sure of.
Posted on: 2009/7/20 2:38

Senior Guru
Tyrone, PA
1260 Posts

Quote:

BeachBum wrote:
Dan I am getting a new Dewitt radiator....

With my old 383, the stock radiator was sufficient as well, but this new motor is a 436 sbc based upon a Dart little M and its going to get run very hard in one of the hottest big cities in the country.... I bracket race, and when you get later in the rounds, you're forced to hotlap it, and its going to be hard to keep the temp steady which is very important in bracket racing..... which is in part why I also put on a Meziere electric water pump for the new set-up too. I think the stock radiator might have been adequate for tooling around town with this motor, but for what I'll be doing.... would not have made it, this I am sure of.

Well, knowing that, I couldn't agree more. Should I ever need a new radiator I believe the Dewitt's is the way I will go too.
Posted on: 2009/7/20 2:52

TonyMamo Re: My Corvette Project is slowly progressing....
Guru
54 Posts

Beach...

What are you waiting for on the A/C

This weekend's project should be installing one. Sales are all over on this type of stuff already also. Just picked up a 10K unit from HD for $250 for a different type of project....cools up to 500 Sq. feet. They had a 12k there also which would cool it even faster ($300 ish)

Its a no brainer man....you will kick yourself for not doing it sooner. Get out the sawzall and have at it!

Nice work so far.....everything looks sano!

Regards,
Tony
Posted on: 2009/7/21 3:15

89Vette Re: My Corvette Project is slowly progressing....
Senior Guru
135 Posts

Quote:

BeachBum wrote:
Here in Houston, in June, I'm told they set every heat record they have ever had multiple times over. I believe it, we've hit 100 degrees just about every single day for the last 2 months..... high humidity comes with it.... and my garage is even hotter, this is an attached garage with no thru-air windows, air just hangs stagnent, you're dripping wet in 10 minutes. Stinks. :sad10: .... I just say screw it and let the vette sit and go inside.

Tony's got a good point. I've been to Houston several times to visit a friend. Hotter than blue-blazzes every summer. Can't make it thru the 1st hole of golf w/o sweatin' our azzes off! Rediculous heat/humidity every summer.

My friend says there are 4 seasons in Houston: Spring, Fall, Golf Season (Winter for everyone else), and H&LL!

You need A/C!

gp
Posted on: 2009/7/21 21:56

Master Guru
751 Posts

Quote:

89Vette wrote:
Quote:

BeachBum wrote:

Tony's got a good point. I've been to Houston several times to visit a friend. Hotter than blue-blazzes every summer. Can't make it thru the 1st hole of golf w/o sweatin' our azzes off! Rediculous heat/humidity every summer.

My friend says there are 4 seasons in Houston: Spring, Fall, Golf Season (Winter for everyone else), and H&LL!

You need A/C!

gp

You know I never appreciated what I had before.... I used to live literally on the beach in Newport Beach in socal.... That 75 degree daily weather spoiled me to the point, I didn't realize how good I had it. Houston has re-awakened my sensitivity. Winters are great here ! But, this heat is on another level of heat I have never experienced. Even in Socal, some weekends in the summer I would go out to Palmdale and race LACR in my black car in 100-105 degree heat..... but it didn't bother me, was a dry heat and I didn't even break a sweat after a 4 tire change. Here, I walk out and look at my car, and I break out into a sweat. I guess its the Humidity..... Houston has basically the same conditions as a swamp/bayou..... perhaps because that is what it is... one big swamp here.

In any regards, I'd love to have A/C in the garage.... problem is, without major surgery, I don't know how to do it.... there is no window in it, only opening leads into the house and of course the garage door. I could probably run the Central Air out their..... but my bill is already $ 500 a month.... then cool a poorly insulated garage doesn't make a lot of sense.

There is no big hurry on this project, I travel most weeks, then the weekends my wife usually has planned for me, and even if I got it in motion tomorrow, I'm not running to any track in this heat.... fall is only a couple of months away..... be a lot more comfortable to wrench. I will be racing by then hopefully.
Posted on: 2009/7/21 23:24

BrianCunningham Re: My Corvette Project is slowly progressing....
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

used to live in SoCal & Dallas

You get acclimated to it.

It managed to snow down in Dallas & SoCal when I was there

funny seeing 1in of snow shutting a state down.
Posted on: 2009/7/22 0:30

Senior Guru
Tyrone, PA
1260 Posts

You could pick up one of those rooftop heat and ac units used for a decent price, then pour a little concrete pad for it (a dozen bags of quickrete and a couple hours would do it), wire it up, knock a hole in the wall and put the duct into it. Voila, heat in the winter and cool in the summer. We have done a couple of garages this way and it works good. Those units can usually be picked up by a demo contractor used for a couple or a few hundred.
Posted on: 2009/7/22 0:39

Master Guru
751 Posts

Quote:

BrianCunningham wrote:
used to live in SoCal & Dallas

You get acclimated to it.

It managed to snow down in Dallas & SoCal when I was there

funny seeing 1in of snow shutting a state down.

It snowed here in Houston my first month here in November..... Snow didn't even really stick, no accumulation worth mentioning. But, I guess it was rare.... like once a decade rare or something to that effect.

I actually miss Ohio a little bit, I liked the weather their.... it got cold in the winter, but not bitter cold and the summers were really mild... I do not know why, but Columbus rarely had much humidity, and the average high's were in the 80's in the summer.
Posted on: 2009/7/22 0:49

Master Guru
751 Posts

Quote:

dan0617 wrote:
You could pick up one of those rooftop heat and ac units used for a decent price, then pour a little concrete pad for it (a dozen bags of quickrete and a couple hours would do it), wire it up, knock a hole in the wall and put the duct into it. Voila, heat in the winter and cool in the summer. We have done a couple of garages this way and it works good. Those units can usually be picked up by a demo contractor used for a couple or a few hundred.

That sounds like work.... I am allegeric to work. But, thanks for the tip, maybe someday I'll do it.

My other thought was to just open up the garage door to the house..... would cool it down somewhat if I left it open for a while. But, I already know my wife would have a coniption fit if I did that.
Posted on: 2009/7/22 0:51

Senior Guru
Tyrone, PA
1260 Posts

Yeah, with the door open she would be able to see how expensive that new engine looks! Then U'd be in big trouble.
Posted on: 2009/7/22 2:04

Master Guru
751 Posts

Quote:

dan0617 wrote:
Yeah, with the door open she would be able to see how expensive that new engine looks! Then U'd be in big trouble.

She thinks I am giving it a tune-up.

You might think I'm kidding....
Posted on: 2009/7/22 2:42

TonyMamo Re: My Corvette Project is slowly progressing....
Guru
54 Posts

You went from potentially close to the best weather in the country (close to the water in So Cal), to potentially close to the worst with Houston (referring mainly to their summer climate).....LOL

Seriously....Im such a puss now after leaving the east coast and the cold and the humidity. The summers in Houston are far worse than Long Island NY though.....we have (had) our share of 95 degrees and 95% humidity but you guys get it even worse with slightly elevated temps and probably close to what feels like a 100% humidity and thats what kills you. Instant sweat because nothing is evaporating....you feel suffocated by it. I went back to NY a couple of years ago to visit family etc. and left my hotel room to walk to my rent a car on a warm day in July....probably only 90 then because it was still late morning. Was drenched by the time I reached the car...LOL...I already needed another shower!

That was it for me....I knew then and there I would never move back to that type of climate...the day and experience is pretty vivid in my mind. And btw, its hot as shit in So Cal this week.....low 100's every day but of course its dry which makes all the difference in making it more manageable....you lose the suffocation/instant sweat factor....just feel HEAT. If your doing manual labor when its this hot of course you will be sweating in no time but if you just walk to your car (or even walk around the block) you wont break much of a sweat....just the obvious sense of the heat.

Anyway....Mamo the weatherman signing off.

Beech....I can seriously walk you thru an A/C install on the phone. I just put a unit in a house with concrete slab exterior which is an even bigger PITA but once youve done that once or twice its no big deal either. If you can build an engine you can certainly blow an A/C unit in the wall!! Basic handtools is all you need.

Good luck dealing with the rest of the oppresive weather and the rest of the go fast parts install as well....call and say hello one of these days

Cheers,
Tony
Posted on: 2009/7/22 5:34

BillH Re: My Corvette Project is slowly progressing....
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

TonyMamo wrote:

Seriously....Im such a puss now after leaving the east coast and the cold and the humidity.
And btw, its hot as shit in So Cal this week.....low 100's every day but of course its dry which makes all the difference in making it more manageable....Tony

Me too, I couldn't handle the east coast weather, one state below you.
It's been 99 to 102 here for a week but the humidity's 9%.
And I'm up the mountain a bit, the temp at 6 a.m. is 50.

I kept the garage doors closed yesterday (99) until late afternoon, the water temp on the C4 was 72 when I pulled it out.

I guess a swamp cooler won't work in Texas because of the humidity.
Posted on: 2009/7/22 13:24

Master Guru
751 Posts

I really believe a coastal city in socal is the best weather in the world.... how could somewhere be better ? When I lived on Balboa Peninsula in Newport Beach, none of the homes even had air conditioning.... they didn't need it. Doesn't really rain at all in the Summer, and not really a lot in the winter either. Low humidity, moderate temps.... was just so comfortable.

I am going back to California within the next few years.... Houston is a temporary stop, I am opening a sales & service branch for the company here in Texas, get it running on all eight cylinders, then I'm gone. Won't be long....
Posted on: 2009/7/22 14:59

88BlackZ51 Re: My Corvette Project is slowly progressing....
Senior Guru
481 Posts

Looks good so far Todd!

So what's the meat and potato's of this combination for the guru's?

So far I know it's a 436 sbc, and AFR 227cc?

I might have a few pics of my own this weekend.
Posted on: 2009/7/22 15:18

Master Guru
751 Posts

Quote:

88BlackZ51 wrote:
Looks good so far Todd!

Rick, its a Boiler plate 436, AFR 227, MR, hyd roller baby grind..... should be street friendly, but hold its own at the strip as well. We shall see.
Posted on: 2009/7/22 15:50

88BlackZ51 Re: My Corvette Project is slowly progressing....
Senior Guru
481 Posts

Quote:

BeachBum wrote:
Quote:

88BlackZ51 wrote:
Looks good so far Todd!

Rick, its a Boiler plate 436, AFR 227, MR, hyd roller baby grind..... should be street friendly, but hold its own at the strip as well. We shall see.

I sent you a pm.
Posted on: 2009/7/22 15:58

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.