Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
282 user(s) are online (233 user(s) are browsing Forums)

TommyT-Bone, more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Seats
Both could be power, neither could be.

However, if they are, they should move fore/aft and up down with little more than an electric motor whine....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

Josh Started the car with the AFR heads last night
Guru
Raleigh, NC
666 Posts

Cranked the car up last night for the first time with the AFR heads. No drama, hit on the first lick, no problems. I set the timing and let the engine run for a few minutes before shutting it down.

I have no driving impressions or anything as the car is still on jack stands, and unfortunately I'm heading out of town for the weekend (work sucks) so I won't be able to get back to the car until Tuesday evening. However, I don't have to go anywhere else for work until atleast the 8th of August, so I should have all next week and weekend to finish the car. If all goes well, I'll have dyno numbers in the next 7-10 days.

Andy, can you add Rodj to the donations list? He kicked in $60 straight to me.
Posted on: 2009/7/31 14:11

BrianCunningham Re: Started the car with the AFR heads last night
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

cool

Look forward to your #'s
Posted on: 2009/7/31 14:14
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

dan0617 Re: Started the car with the AFR heads last night
Senior Guru
Tyrone, PA
1260 Posts

Cool! Glad to see you are making progress. I'm guessing you pick up 20 hp on these heads over the TFS. No need to guess for long though as you will be able to tell us all exactly what the difference is! Great to have some real world testing.

So, your order of business is:

1. Remove jack stands
2. Dyno
3. Order and install bigger nitrous jets
4. Order a pink majic marker to sign timeslip

haha. Had to keep it going!
Posted on: 2009/7/31 16:42

anesthes Re: Started the car with the AFR heads last night
Master Guru
Boston, MA
646 Posts

Quote:

dan0617 wrote:
Cool! Glad to see you are making progress. I'm guessing you pick up 20 hp on these heads over the TFS. No need to guess for long though as you will be able to tell us all exactly what the difference is! Great to have some real world testing.

1. Remove jack stands
2. Dyno

20hp sounds reasonable. The 195 AFRs have some pretty impressive flow numbers.

Lot of new heads available now with some impressive flow numbers. Patriot 220cc, RHS 220cc.

I really wish AFR could compete better in regards to pricing. That's why I'm torn. You can buy a head for 900-1000 that flows the same, and save yourself $500-600..
Velocity and chamber shape slightly different, but is 5-10 horsepower worth $600 ??

-- Joe
Posted on: 2009/7/31 17:15

Josh Re: Started the car with the AFR heads last night
Guru
Raleigh, NC
666 Posts

Quote:

dan0617 wrote:

1. Remove jack stands
2. Dyno

Lol, not bad.
Posted on: 2009/7/31 18:15

TonyMamo Re: Started the car with the AFR heads last night
Guru
54 Posts

Quote:

20hp sounds reasonable. The 195 AFRs have some pretty impressive flow numbers.

Lot of new heads available now with some impressive flow numbers. Patriot 220cc, RHS 220cc.

I really wish AFR could compete better in regards to pricing. That's why I'm torn. You can buy a head for 900-1000 that flows the same, and save yourself $500-600..
Velocity and chamber shape slightly different, but is 5-10 horsepower worth $600 ??
-- Joe

Joe...

Do you really believe all that is true??

I wont even get into the "advertised" number comparisons....that could take up pages. Not to mention I don't think when comparing cc's (similar port volumes), even if you were to base your statement on that I feel a comparison wouldn't bring up anything similar. Also, the quality of the few heads you mention aren't even in the same playing field as the AFR's.

Then there's the lightweight 8mm valves, trick lightweight small diameter valve springs, heavy duty castings with 3/4 inch thick deck....I can go on and on but I wont bore the people that have already read most of my rants. Do a search on some of the various message boards and have lots of time set aside in front of the computer.

To NOT spend the extra few hundred on the AFR's is a far bigger mistake....that few hundred you saved cost you twice the potential gains in power in some cases and Im not exaggerating. Look at cost per pony and the AFR's will look like a Walmart blue light special....

Also, try to search out real world results of the various heads you might consider....independent results speak volumes. In Josh's test we are all following an out of the box AFR is going against a high quality aftermarket casting that additional handwork was also invested and I still think/hope the AFR's are going to shine....not to mention cost the same or less in this particular comparo.

Do your homework....the more you do the better value you will perceive our product to be worth and the easier it will be to part with the extra money. As I said, if your serious about performance and want to get the most power and the most value from the swap, the far bigger mistake is not to.

Cheers,
Tony
Posted on: 2009/7/31 21:01

Stl94LT1 Re: Started the car with the AFR heads last night
Guru Newb
128 Posts

This will be interesting. Weren't the TrickFlows ported by Lloyd Elliot?
Posted on: 2009/7/31 21:22

Senior Guru
Tyrone, PA
1260 Posts

I have to agree with Tony that the AFR 195's have the market beat for the price......the 195 streets. That's why I went with them and I'm a happy customer. But....

For the 195 comp ports I have to agree with Joe. Even comparing the AFR streets to their own AFR comp ports, the price difference is crazy. Tony, I wish you could lower the price considerably on the comp ports. I mean, the street ports are already CNC'd. I think the additional CNCing and work to go up to the comp ports isn't worth the extra chunk of change for the performance gains. Last I checked, which was about 8 months ago, the comp ports were roughly $600 more. I can't see it possible that you have that much more money in making the comp ports than you do in making the street ports.
Posted on: 2009/7/31 22:56

Guru
54 Posts

Quote:

dan0617 wrote:
I have to agree with Tony that the AFR 195's have the market beat for the price......the 195 streets. That's why I went with them and I'm a happy customer. But....

For the 195 comp ports I have to agree with Joe. Even comparing the AFR streets to their own AFR comp ports, the price difference is crazy. Tony, I wish you could lower the price considerably on the comp ports. I mean, the street ports are already CNC'd. I think the additional CNCing and work to go up to the comp ports isn't worth the extra chunk of change for the performance gains. Last I checked, which was about 8 months ago, the comp ports were roughly $600 more. I can't see it possible that you have that much more money in making the comp ports than you do in making the street ports.

Dan,

The street heads are 100% fully CNC ported, with premium components, and for the money simply cant be touched (obviously we agree there)....its the "value play" of AFR for sure and I share that sentiment with all our customers every chance I get (its the head I recommend to most customers I speak with). However, if your the type of guy that will lose sleep knowing you left that extra 10-15 HP under the table then the Comp package is for you and paying for it unfortunately is something the end user has to justify and deal with....LOL.

A comp ported head spends twice as much time in the CNC machine because it gets an extra rough pass and a finer finish pass (among other other small details that help it flow and perform better), and when your business is largely dictated by how many heads you can produce in a given day, CNC machine time is paramount and we have to charge accordingly. Thank God you don't own a BBC Chevy which cost 50% more than a comp ported SBC (a fully ported pair of BBC heads burns 12 hours of CNC porting time...not including any other machine ops to the casting).

Instead of being upset we don't give away all the extra CNC porting and other perks with the Comp package, be happy we found a way to cut the costs dramatically with our street package and still provide a cylinder head for you guys that far and away beats anything reasonably close in price, and performs within striking distance of its comp ported more expensive brother.

Name another product or service where you purchase there better model which costs significantly more money and time to produce, and you aren't charged a hefty premium to own it.....good luck with that!!

Most people will be thrilled with the performance that our street head offers, but guys really serious about their craft will always buy the Comp ported version....that's just the way it is and once again I think its bonus that we can cater to a wider group of end users that way.

Beach Bum was torn for awhile on which 227 to buy....I didn't push him either way at the time....but I knew a guy like him (a very serious enthusiast with a very mathematical approach to the hobby) had to have the extra flow as he would lose sleep knowing he could have went a little faster....LOL Turns out thats exactly what he decided to purchase and I don't think he has any regrets!

-Tony

PS....OK...truth be told I may have slightly pointed Beach towards the Comp version of our 227 but I knew I would save him self torture down the road had he bought the street version!! And thats only because I had a much better "feel" of who my end user was in that particular case....he's the type of guy we cater the Comp product towards (much like myself I might add!)
Posted on: 2009/8/1 0:15

Master Guru
Boston, MA
646 Posts

Quote:

TonyMamo wrote:

Joe...

Do you really believe all that is true??

I think that competing heads, especially Iron, with a larger runner size has similar flow numbers but at a velocity penalty. Perhaps equal is a strong word, but then again they vary by flow bench and bore size.

Quote:

TonyMamo wrote:

I wont even get into the "advertised" number comparisons....that could take up pages.

Who cares about advertised, I'm talking tests on the same flowbench.

Quote:

TonyMamo wrote:

Not to mention I don't think when comparing cc's (similar port volumes), even if you were to base your statement on that I feel a comparison wouldn't bring up anything similar.

Nope. It takes a 215-220cc head to flow the same as an AFR 195. My point was, a competing 215-220cc head that flows the same as your 195 is cheaper. So it's a tough call.

Quote:

TonyMamo wrote:

Also, the quality of the few heads you mention aren't even
in the same playing field as the AFR's.

Then there's the lightweight 8mm valves, trick lightweight small diameter valve springs, heavy duty castings with 3/4 inch thick deck....I can go on and on but I wont bore the people that have already read most of my rants.

Yes yes yes. So now we're looking at a few percentage performance difference, something like 10hp realistically. Dollar for Dollar, I'm personally having a hard time justifying it.

Quote:

TonyMamo wrote:

To NOT spend the extra few hundred on the AFR's is a far bigger mistake....that few hundred you saved cost you twice the potential gains in power in some cases and Im not
exaggerating.

Twice is a bit much tony. I mean, if my 412 is going to make 500 horsepower with a set of iron RHS heads for example, what do you think it would make with the AFR 195? Take into account the thermal losses of running an aluminum head first, and then figure back in your higher velocity and better chamber design. Is it going to make 510 hp when done? 520?

Quote:

TonyMamo wrote:

Look at cost per pony and the AFR's will look like a Walmart blue light special....

Also, try to search out real world results of the various heads you might consider....independent results speak volumes. In Josh's test we are all following an out of the box AFR is going against a high quality aftermarket casting that additional handwork was also invested and I still think/hope the AFR's are going to shine....not to mention cost the same or less in this particular comparo.

Josh is doing a great job testing. However I really wish he just slapped on stock for stock as cast trickflow and AFRs.

Quote:

TonyMamo wrote:

Do your homework....the more you do the better value you will perceive our product to be worth and the easier it will be to part with the extra money.

I'm not Jsup, I'm not going to run around talking about wet flow testing or whatever is hot this week in retard rod magazine. I'm trying to hit this from an economical point of view. While I think AFR is the best head company in the sub $2000 price range, I'm having a tough time justifying $600 more for what I see as a small benefit.

Here is my combo tony. You tell me:

412 cubic inch smallblock (4.185" bore, 3.750" stroke)

16.2cc pistons, reverse dome, .010" into hole.

Solid flat tappet camshaft, 235/242 @ .050, 270/280 advertised, .495, .507 lift with 1.5 rockers.

With a 64cc chamber, 10.4:1 static compression, 8.7:1 dynamic

RHS 220cc is what I'm looking at.

.200 126 89
.300 184 134
.400 233 168
.500 265 177
.600 278 188

With a 65cc chamber, 10.3:1 static compression, 8.6:1 dynamic.

That would be an AFR 195.

.200 132 108
.300 198 156
.400 240 178
.500 260 190
.600 262 194

Assuming both heads were the same material, and the only difference in compression was the 1cc chamber size,
let's pretend flow numbers alone were the deciding factor:

RHS combo 454 HP at 5500rpm, 500 foot lbs at 2500 RPM
AFR combo 475 HP at 6000rpm, 500 foot lbs at 4000 RPM

Not a whole lot of difference, but now I wonder - does the better velocity, and chamber of the AFR heads make up for the thermal loss of the aluminum material. And more importantly, if so, does the power increase really justify spending $600 more..

-- Joe
Posted on: 2009/8/1 0:43

88BlackZ51 Re: Started the car with the AFR heads last night
Senior Guru
481 Posts

Joe.

Both of my AFR's (street ports and comp ports) were flowed, and they flowed alot more then the #'s you are stating. Both flow #'s have been documented on the CF, and maybe even of Guru.

Even my street ports out flowed your RHS220cc head, and they measured 195cc.

I paid less then $1300 for my street ports. I have a feeling there isn't a head out there that will beat it for the price.

dan0617: You a great guy, and I love what you have done, and especially tested your combo. Remember HP/TQ cost money. The difference between the street ports and comp ports is $600. If one was to gain 20-35 hp for only $600, most would agree in the world of high performance SBC1 stuff, that is a no brainer my friend.

Buying quality stuff costs money! I have not seen anything from Patriot, Edelbrock, Dart or Brodix that competes with the street ports for the dollar.

Heck my good friend has a set of ported Dart 215cc that measured 226cc, and they still don't out flow my little 195's.
Posted on: 2009/8/1 1:16

Master Guru
Boston, MA
646 Posts

Quote:

88BlackZ51 wrote:
Joe.

Both of my AFR's (street ports and comp ports) were flowed, and they flowed alot more then the #'s you are stating. Both flow #'s have been documented on the CF, and maybe even of Guru.

Even my street ports out flowed your RHS220cc head, and they measured 195cc.

Well every flow bench is different, that is the problem. You can't compare my numbers to numbers on some other guys flowbench. The closest you can get, is flow two heads on the same day.

Quote:

88BlackZ51 wrote:

I paid less then $1300 for my street ports. I have a feeling there isn't a head out there that will beat it for the price.

They're $1500+ from summit.

Quote:

88BlackZ51 wrote:

Buying quality stuff costs money! I have not seen anything from Patriot, Edelbrock, Dart or Brodix that competes with the street ports for the dollar.

True. There is no debate on which head is best. We know AFR is. The question is, is the slight and i do mean slight difference in power worth the extra money.

-- Joe
Posted on: 2009/8/1 2:11

BeachBum Re: Started the car with the AFR heads last night
Master Guru
751 Posts

Joe,

Actually, you did make a mistake that quite a few accidently make. Your flow numbers for the AFR Cylinder heads are the old style heads that were manufactured several years ago before the Eliminators. Both the 190's and 195's flowed those numbers with their street port version for many years.... which was fairly stout for its day, but thats old news.

The 195 "eliminators" street version flow cylinder heads flow:

Now re-run your numbers above, and you might see some value. As a note, these cylinder heads are $ 1510 equipped as per AFR's website. As a note, the Eliminator Competition cylinder heads are another $ 569 and flow approxmiately 15-20 cfm above those.

On another note, a lot of people have purchased these and many have had them independently flow tested, as I did with my 227's..... everybodys has been flowing as advertised regardless of who's flow bench they are on..... I think there are enough to say that its safe to say the make the #

btw, for an apples to apples comparison, you should compare them to the AFR 227 street version which I think flow right around 305-310 cfm... with the competition version up and around 320 cfm.....

On comparing them in price to some 220 cc RHS Iron heads.... I dunno, not sure why you would want to do that.... there are a lot of companies that manufacture a low dollar Iron head... it cost less to manufacture.

Don't get me wrong, I've got nothing against RHS cylinder heads..... I know many have made good power with them, but thats typically after spending a bushel with their favorite head porter. But....

On iron vs aluminum, that can be debated, and I've seen tests on them.... its hard to do an apple to apples test on any thermal heat loss on the aluminum because the test heads always flow different thus skewering the test..... but, the test I have seen any power difference is maybe 5 HP.... and that is of course negated by the weight difference. But, who knows....
Posted on: 2009/8/1 2:43

Senior Guru
Tyrone, PA
1260 Posts

Yes Rick, but for me, I was looking at $600 to pick up maybe 20 hp at best with a step up to the comp ports. Then they are 1206 ports and wouldn't work with my hsr so there is more money out. I also run a flat tappet cam, for $700 or so I could go to a retro roller and pick up 25 or so hp from the less friction and faster opening/closing rates. I was already spent, but would have done the cam before the comp ports.

Most of us here either build on a fairly tight budget and run every year, or wait years and years to get the build done. You know which of the 2 I am. I know which of the 2 you are. Neither of us is wrong by any means. I just honestly think if the comp ports were around $1500 and the street ports were around $1200 that AFR would sell alot more heads than they are already selling, to us budget builders. I think many are walking away from the AFR's due to the price.
Posted on: 2009/8/1 2:54

Master Guru
751 Posts

Quote:

TonyMamo wrote:
PS....OK...truth be told I may have slightly pointed Beach towards the Comp version of our 227 but I knew I would save him self torture down the road had he bought the street version!! And thats only because I had a much better "feel" of who my end user was in that particular case....he's the type of guy we cater the Comp product towards (much like myself I might add!)

I was wobbling between the two.... but you "pushed, rammed and threatened me if I didn't buy the Comps....."

I was close to calling the FBI, Better Business Bureau, CIA, Taliban.... and anybody else I could find to help me, the poor consumer.

But, you're right, I'm not sorry I bought the competion version. :thumbright:
Posted on: 2009/8/1 2:55

Master Guru
751 Posts

Quote:

dan0617 wrote:
Yes Rick, but for me, I was looking at $600 to pick up maybe 20 hp at best with a step up to the comp ports. Then they are 1206 ports and wouldn't work with my hsr so there is more money out. I also run a flat tappet cam, for $700 or so I could go to a retro roller and pick up 25 or so hp from the less friction and faster opening/closing rates. I was already spent, but would have done the cam before the comp ports.

Most of us here either build on a fairly tight budget and run every year, or wait years and years to get the build done. You know which of the 2 I am. I know which of the 2 you are. Neither of us is wrong by any means. I just honestly think if the comp ports were around $1500 and the street ports were around $1200 that AFR would sell alot more heads than they are already selling, to us budget builders. I think many are walking away from the AFR's due to the price.

I know what you're saying about speedy and slow builders....I'm both the fast and slow builder.... when I was younger I'd get crap done all in one weekend.... now it takes me a year. I'm lazy in my old age. l... its not money with me, I've owned all of the expensive parts for 6 months if not longer.... I just haven't gotten the job done due to either business travel, family functions or the freakn heat in this furnace they call Texas.

On the cost of AFR.... I think in reality they're an excellent deal. Most of those $ 1000 aluminum heads are as cast... thus you at the very least want somebody to go over them and clean em up before you put them on..... many will have them ported by a brandname porting house, which can easily cost what they bought the heads for and then some depending on what they had done to them.... and they "might" perform on par with the AFR heads after that, and might not.

For an off the shelf aluminum ported cylinder with quality parts that really perform as well if not better than anybody's off the shelf heads, $ 1500 is a darn good deal. The Comp versions takes them into the realm of very few other cylinder head manufacturers.... All-Pro can match and maybe even exceed their perfomance, but you're going to pay "literally" over $ 3000 for them. (They quoted me $ 3500 about 2 years ago for a ported 220 set with the parts on them that I wanted) All-Pro on most castings sends them out to Professional Porting houses.

Dart and Brodix both have some nice ported cylinder heads too.... Brodix has the T1 and M2 cylinder heads which I know the M2's are ported by M2 an outside porting house.... and those heads can get the job done, but even those, are another $ 300-400 above the AFR competition ports and its debatable if they could even perform as well. But, I think all of those M2's are only available in the large runner sizes..... they really don't have much that can compete against a 195 street/strip head that is already cnc ported for $ 1500...... they leave it to you to find a porter and make it happen.

On a final note, probably because I am in the CNC Industry, I know and understand the cost of the CNC machines to do this porting.... depending on the job of the particular machine, most are 5 axes machines that do the porting, the 3 axes machines are primarily for stock removal..... for a good 5 axes machine, you can literally cost hundreds of thousands of dollars..... thats before you tool it up. Point is, its just plain expensive.... if you have 5 CNC machines for manufacturing cylinder heads, it can easily cost you a million dollars and even more.....and they break !.... and if you think its expensive to fix a car.... wait until you get the bill for the CNC machine fix !

But, I'm all for free cylinder heads !! So Tony, listen to your customers like Dan.... I'm thinking $ 600 for comp ported heads and with mandatory rebates to previous customers would be a great policy ! :tongue:
Posted on: 2009/8/1 3:45

1989GTA Re: Started the car with the AFR heads last night
Guru
61 Posts

I don't think anyone covered it but is not the AFR 195 Competition head a different casting than the AFR 195 Eliminator? Maybe a part of the price difference?

Also the flow numbers published by AFR are on the conservative side. I have witnessed two that flowed more than advertised. I also have seen numerous reports of flow numbers higher than advertised.
Posted on: 2009/8/1 4:19

Master Guru
751 Posts

Quote:

1989GTA wrote:
I don't think anyone covered it but is not the AFR 195 Competition head a different casting than the AFR 195 Eliminator? Maybe a part of the price difference?

Also the flow numbers published by AFR are on the conservative side. I have witnessed two that flowed more than advertised. I also have seen numerous reports of flow numbers higher than advertised.

Tony actually kind of covered that above.... they are the same castings, but the Eliminator Competition version receives some extra time & massaging on the cnc machine vs the street version.

If you buy the street version, you can actually get it upgraded at some point in the future to the comp version if you desired, however, I think its at an added expense beyond the normal price to do so.... but not sure.
Posted on: 2009/8/1 5:30

Master Guru
Boston, MA
646 Posts

Quote:

BeachBum wrote:
Joe,

Actually, you did make a mistake that quite a few accidently make. Your flow numbers for the AFR Cylinder heads are the old style heads that were manufactured several years ago before the Eliminators.

Ok ok. you are right. We have not seen a pair of the Eliminators, just the older ones. The elims are *honestly* that much better?

Quote:

BeachBum wrote:

The 195 "eliminators" street version flow cylinder heads flow:

Now re-run your numbers above, and you might see some value.

I will in a bit. It's 5:30 AM, just feed the horses. Going back to bed. Brain is only 30% active right now.

Quote:

BeachBum wrote:

On comparing them in price to some 220 cc RHS Iron heads.... I dunno, not sure why you would want to do that.... there are a lot of companies that manufacture a low dollar Iron head... it cost less to manufacture.

Because the AFR 195 happens to be the only 195cc head with the same cross sectional area, and port flow that a 406+ cubic inch motor needs. It's not between a 195cc RHS or freedom or brodix and AFR, it's between an AFR 195 or another brands 215-220cc.

This says a lot for AFR, but again, I'm trying to save money. I'm spending thousands upon thousands to build my new garage this month.

Quote:

BeachBum wrote:

On iron vs aluminum, that can be debated, and I've seen tests on them.... its hard to do an apple to apples test on any thermal heat loss on the aluminum because the test heads always flow different thus skewering the test..... but, the test I have seen any power difference is maybe 5 HP.... and that is of course negated by the weight difference. But, who knows....

For many years I was of the opinion that you were better off with an Aluminum combo, but as of late I've been reading a lot of test data and I'm not sure. For a street/strip car, you want sane cranking pressure but max performance.

I wish there was a solid black and white answer as to whether or not the advantage of being able to run more compression ratio on an aluminum head, outways the thermal losses or just makes it even. Since we know what my short block is, by bolting on a set of afrs with 65cc chamber we know my compression ratio will be 10.3:1, vs 10.4:1 with the 64cc irons. But you know the rule of thumb is, a 10.3:1 Alum motor will perform like a 9.8:1 iron motor. So now that we've lost out thermally, will the port flow, velocity, chamber shape, and all that AFR goodness make up for what we just lost thermally and exceed?

Good night. again.

-- Joe
Posted on: 2009/8/1 9:44

Senior Guru
Tyrone, PA
1260 Posts

I did get to see my AFR 195 eliminator street ports beside a set of older trickflow G2 heads and a pair of older AFR 195 (non eliminator) heads. Both the used heads were for sale and I could have sent my AFR 195's back and bought them, but I'm glad I didn't.

I'm VERY happy with the AFR quality. Going to a bigger port was not an option for me as on a 383 cubed engine and running 3.07 gears I needed the port velocity of a great flowing 195cc head in order to maintain street manners. For a customer like Joe, though, his decision to part with the extra cabbage is harder to make as he can go to a bigger port on a competitor to afr's head and maybe give up a little power but with that extra money he could afford a nitrous kit. So if its all about budget for someone, the extra .2 seconds on motor that you sacrifice from not going with the afr's just bought you a 150 shot and picked you up 1.3 seconds. See, this is what I'm talking about. For my circle of friends, it's all about going fast and spending the least amount of money. They see the upcharge to AFR heads and immediately think of what else could be bought with that money.

So, I'm not comparing heads to heads here, Jsup already has about 10,000 posts on that and in the end we all know which heads are most desired, and why. I'm comparing dollars to speed. Most of the guys I know do exactly that. It's hard to talk them into the AFR's when their minds are telling them that they can go with Patriot or RHS heads and buy a full blown nitrous kit with the money they saved from not going with AFR's.

I just hear alot of my friends saying "I would really love a pair of your heads but I just can't afford it." I tell them to save up, but they don't want to wait that long. I had to use a charge card then skip lunches for a long time to get caught up to pay for the AFR 195 streets, but to me it was worth it.

I'm the guy lobbying my friends to buy AFR's and to choose the ones that best compliment the rest of their setup so they don't have to replace a bunch of other things. I tell everyone that the AFR's are the reason that they are running lighter cars with lower rear gears and higher stall converters and running the same 1/4 mile times as my heavier, 3.07 geared 'vert on motor. I just wish they could be had a little cheaper, I think the upcharge over other heads, albeit substandard heads to the AFR's in most cases, is too much for alot of my friends to overcome.

Todd, I didn't suggest free heads or $600 comp ports. I just suggested that a $600 upcharge for more CNCing for a head that is already CNC'd seems like alot. Was too much for me. Maybe the comp ports do alot more in the size of head you are running but to me and in the 195 size I'd need to run a .600 lift cam to really see much of a gain from the street ports to the comp ports. Just not worth it to me. Maybe I'm totally off base, but all I have to go by is advertised flow rates of the streets and comps, what guys on here and other forums say, and my "best guess" with the info I have. And Tony's input, and I must add he did not try to push me towards spending money at all, he helped me pick what was best for me. Any way, don't go hatin! I'm not bashing AFR or Tony, I would like to see more of his product on my friends' engines!

Tony, I totally understand what you explained above. I am for sure a believer that, head for head, AFR's are the way to go. Pick any size AFR head and it has most of the competition's next step up head beat. So as far as your lobbying the AFR's compared to another brand yes, you are correct with what you have stated. That is why I have purchased them and tell my friends who are rebuilding to do the same. But we aren't drag racers, we are street cars looking to run badass at the track a couple times a year. Looking to go as fast as possible on a budget. The line has to be drawn on how much to spend on each part of the build before you are sacrificing too much on another part. Unfortunately for alot of people I know the line is drawn below the AFR price. I am helping some though, I think, as I draw a crowd when looking bone stock and running in the 10's. When they ask what is the secret, I say "Nitrous, a bottom end to handle nitrous, AFR Eliminators, and making sure EVERY part of the combo compliments each other." And 70% of the time they say back..."what size AFR's are they and how much did they run you". The other 30% they say "how much you spraying". And I say "enough to euthonize a small town". Strangely enough, nobody ever asks what size the cam is, what stall the converter is, or what gears are in the car.
Posted on: 2009/8/1 13:29

Master Guru
Boston, MA
646 Posts

Quote:

dan0617 wrote: For a customer like Joe, though, his decision to part with the extra cabbage is harder to make as he can go to a bigger port on a competitor to afr's head and maybe give up a little power but with that extra money he could afford a nitrous kit. So if its all about budget for someone, the extra .2 seconds on motor that you sacrifice from not going with the afr's just bought you a 150 shot and picked you up 1.3 seconds.

You hit the nail on the head right there brother, and that's exactly my point. When we get down to dollar for horsepower, $600 difference can go along way with something else.

Or towards numerous other things.

Quote:

dan0617
So, I'm not comparing heads to heads here, Jsup already has about 10,000 posts on that and in the end we all know which heads are most desired, and why.
I'm comparing dollars to speed. Most of the guys I know do exactly that. It's hard to talk them into the AFR's when their minds are telling them that they can go with Patriot or RHS heads and buy a full blown nitrous kit with the money they saved from not going with AFR's.

Exactly. It's not about which heads perform the best, we know that. It's about economics.

If you could show me some way that the AFR 195s pick up 100hp over a pair of RHS heads, for $600 more I'd be all over it. But in reality, I think we're looking at 20-30hp and that's probably me being generous.

AFR's are for the guy who spends every extra dollar trying to get another HP out of the motor. I'm having a hard time justifying it, but I'm still torn on the matter.

I tell you one thing though, if I went from a 64cc iron head to a 65cc alum head, and actually lost power or made ZERO difference in power I'd be pretty darn upset, and honestly that's been in the back of my mind. I'm not going to buy a set of AFRs for xxxxx dollars, then pay another $200 or so to mill them to bring the compression up to level the playing field (thermally speaking).

-- Joe
Posted on: 2009/8/1 13:54

Senior Guru
Tyrone, PA
1260 Posts

Joe, what are you looking at for quench distance? Would it be possible to go with the AFR's 65CC chambers and run a thinner headgasket to make up the difference in compression?

I know I'm currently running 11.4 SCR and 9.2 DCR on 93 octane pump gas and it is working great with the 195 streets. I'm at .046 quench distance, and I think if I were down to .040 or even a hair less I could go with a 9.3 or 9.4 dcr and still be safe with these heads on 93 octane. When I shaved the heads down to 60cc chamber size, I actually had to take my overall timing from 34 degrees down to 28 degrees to get out of detonation but it picked up a little power over the 10.7 SCR on 34 degrees timing. I ran almost the same time and mph at the track on a hotter day and a .1 slower 60' time. I'm thinking I gained about 15 hp from upping the compression and lowering the timing 6 degrees.

For me it was worth it to buy the AFR streets but not worth it to go up to the comp ports. Maybe since you are running more cubes and more cam than I, you could go up to the next size bigger AFR and stay with a street ported head?? Not sure of the cost of that but that might be a better cost per hp for you than going with the 195 comps.

I wouldn't suggest going with iron heads, the weight is a difference too, and moreso with other heads I think that you can't push the compression on pump gas near as much without getting into detonation. I am a believer that the AFR combustion chamber CNCing and design allow you to run more compression on pump gas so they allow you more power over and above whether they flow better or not.

I had '113 reworked heads (flowed 238 at .550 lift) on my stock shortblock with a thin headgasket and running about 10.2 compression and a 224/230 roller cam. This year I went to the AFR 195 streets, a 383 shortblock, and a 230/236 flat tappet cam. All else remained the same. My 1/4 mile mph went from 105 last year to 111 this year. (heavy car here with 3.07 gears thus my mph's are lower than most but great for comparative perposes since all runs were made with the same car on the same track) I'm now rolling into the launch to save the rear where as last year I was matting it so I think I'll run a 112, and I ran on much hotter days this year (last year it was 60 degrees, this year over 80 degrees) so I think a 113 to 114 will be easily had, so I'll figure 113mph. That's not even taking into account that I've only made a couple motor passes this year on the new setup and I'm still dialing in the tune. So, that's 8mph, roughly 80 hp. I feel the step up in cam just made up for going to a non-roller so that is about a wash. Especially since I'm shifting at the same rpms as before on motor, and the larger cam would probably like a slightly higher shift point. The bump in cubes likely picked up about 20 hp. I contribute about 10 hp to the compression bump, and the other 50 to the heads. So I think 40 to 50 hp going from hogged out, ported, coated, totally reworked '113 heads to out of the box AFR 195 streets. I was expecting a 40 hp gain from the heads and I got at least that, so I'm happy. I think I could have gained another 10 to 15 from going with comp ports but not worth the extra $600 to me. I really don't think any other head out there would give better performance with my combo and still maintain great street manners.

Maybe none of that applies to your setup Joe but I know when making decisions it is nice to hear all the real world experience that you can.
Posted on: 2009/8/1 14:15

Master Guru
751 Posts

Quote:

dan0617 wrote:

Todd, I didn't suggest free heads or $600 comp ports.

Dan, I know you didn't.....

My previous comment was just a sarcastic attempt to get Tony to send me a $ 1400 rebate check. :toothy3:

As a note, I also agree with your previous comments.... but I understand it from both sides on the cost issue....
Posted on: 2009/8/1 15:58

Master Guru
751 Posts

Quote:

anesthes wrote:

Exactly. It's not about which heads perform the best, we know that. It's about economics.

If you could show me some way that the AFR 195s pick up 100hp over a pair of RHS heads, for $600 more I'd be all over it. But in reality, I think we're looking at 20-30hp and that's probably me being generous.

-- Joe

From this line of thinking..... then why even buy aftermarket cylinder heads at all ? With many applications, especially if you are just buying a $ 1000 set of iron heads, the performance gain may only be 25-40 HP over the stock heads..... They could take that $ 1000 and buy a really nice 250 HP Nitrous system. This could be done with anything in the aftermarket industry.... why new exhaust ? Why have the intake ported for $ 400 for a 15 hp gain when you could get a starter 150 HP nitrous system for that money, why take out a perfectly good 350 and build a 383 for several thousand dollars that gives you maybe 30-40 HP....

I think with the cost of performance these days, it all comes down to each individual enthusiast..... some would jump at the opportunity to gain 20-30 HP for $ 600..... others want no part of that deal. I'll only say, when you're et hunting, 20-30 hp for $ 600 is not a bad deal at all.

Also, to be fair, those $ 900-1000 RHS heads should also be compared to other cylinder heads too if we are going to compare them to $ 1500 cnc-ported aluminum AFR heads..... for example, the aluminum Dart Platinum one heads, cost $ 1450 per their website, but are not cnc-ported.... thus the performance advantage of them vs the RHS are more than likely nothing..... therefore you would be spending $ 500 for no-gain if you went in that direction....

Just saying, its all relative. My advise has always been, if you don't see the value in it.... don't buy it.
Posted on: 2009/8/1 16:31

Guru
54 Posts

Guys...

This is a long post so crack a beer and sit back. Its my last attempt to drive home the value inherent in our product.

We build/manufacture a premium part with premium lightweight components....based on tons of independent data we (arguably) clearly provide the best performance in our market segment. So I ask you....when is that not worthy of a premium in ANY manufacturing business??

We invest absurd amounts of time on the R&D side (which costs more than any of you can fathom) to stay on the cutting edge and give you ports 20+ cc's smaller than our competitors that outflow them in spite of it (and deliver a much more ferocious power curve because of it). We fully CNC these parts on million dollar equipment and cut VJ's into them with a machine that costs 200K versus 50K or less that most of our competitors use (you get perfect seat concentricity with the really expensive machine). Our valve guide tolerance is held to .0001 when we have seen new budget heads that I would consider the guides used up right out of the box. Walk a few miles in our shoes and I assure you a better appreciation of the product we are building for you.

Its not an accident our stuff always out performs the competition.....this is all we do and we hyper-focus on it like no other company in the industry. Name ONE of our competitors that doesn't have their hands in selling and producing ALOT of other products besides cylinder heads....it would be impossible for any of them to devote the time we do to just this segment of the market.

Also, the way some of you guys want to casually dismiss the HP difference that the few hundred extra we charge is worth is absolutely penny wise and dollar foolish. Go find those types of gains elsewhere with the money you saved....good luck with that. I sell power for a living and once yuo already have a heads cam car with a few of the basic goodies you just dont fall into 30 and 40 horses anymore...in fact it costs a bunch of money to find those types of gains once your not dealing with an anemic stocker any longer....ask the hardcore more engine savvy amongst you and believe me they will back me on this.

All our street ported heads when the smoke clears may cost on average about $300-$400 more than our competitors budget (mainly as cast)products....with you benefiting from everything highlighted a few paragraphs above in the event you spring for the AFR's).

I know this post is long but follow along if you would....

Take a stock longblock with a cam and headers and install budget head "B" that cost $1100.....you pick up 30-35 HP

Now thru one of our dealers you pick up an AFR street head for $1400 and you pick up 70 HP or even 60 to be conservative but my first number is more in line with the reality of the swap, especially in a hyd. roller combo.

Take the same engine and now purchase a comp ported AFR head for $2000 and now you found 75-80 HP gains.

What most of you never consider with the swap (and always should) is what did the entire swap actually cost with gaskets included, labor, tuning time, and other incidentals. It makes my argument even more lopsided and applicable.

Lets just add $500 to the head cost (those paying someone to install this stuff would fair far worse than this)

Budget head....$1600 total.....$53 per pony
AFR Street.....$1900 total.....$32 per pony (and alot more of them)
AFR Comp.......$2500 total.....$33 per pony (surprise there I bet)

Note I used the more conservative 60 and 75 figures for both AFR comparos in this exercise.

Soooo.....does it make more sense to "save up" and get all the quality benefits of the AFR's, the extra power, and the added value in HP per dollar when purchasing our product??

For the guy that "doesn't want to wait" or cant justify the added expense I say Im sorry....thats really not a wise move when you consider the main reason your buying cylinder heads in the first place (and likely other parts in the future to try and find more power). It is foolish for lack of a better word to leave all that added value and extra power under the table now....even the Comp AFR product provides a ton more VALUE (and a BUNCH of power over the typical budget piece).

And btw....also coming from my seat where I live and breathe this stuff everyday and talk to easily 100 enthusiasts a month.....you guys have no clue how many guys looking to save those few bucks the first time come back to see us six months, a year, two years later when they are tired of getting beat or tired of AFR headed cars on the dyno smashing the numbers their combo managed to eek out. Then they sell their used budget head for 40 cents on the dollar.....ultimately buy the AFR's they should have bought in the first place....and spend twice on gaskets and install labor. THATS the biggest irony I see with guys that look for the shortcut to save a few bucks....in the long run it ends up costing twice as much to do it right. And if you think Im making that scenario up think again....I speak to a half dozen people a month in this situation and some are more butt hurt about it than others ultimately knowing they have themselves to blame for making the wrong moves. We have all been there, perhaps not in auto related purchase, but something we purchased in an effort to save a few bucks and it ultimately cost us more....I know I have and try to learn from the experience.

And name a cylinder head company that offers better customer service than AFR....there must be a dozen reasons to buy our heads besides that it simply makes perfect sense from a value and economics standpoint but I can only lead the horse to water as they say....the rest is up to the horse.

Im all typed out....I hope I have reached a few of this with this retarded long post....catch you guys later

-Tony

EDIT: After posting this I just read Beach Bum's post above mine and I think he got the same point across as I in two paragraphs....LOL
Posted on: 2009/8/1 17:29

Senior Guru
Tyrone, PA
1260 Posts

Whew. I'm all typed out too. But anyway....Tony....which AFR head do you suggest for Joe's combo? His combo is mostly listed here. Would he be better, keeping budget in mind, to go with a 195 comp port or the next step up (didn't look it up, is it 205 or 210??) Street ported head? And how high would you push the dynamic CR? And how tight of a quench distance? I'm sure a tight quench helps loads with suppressing detonation. I know I'm happy at 9.2 on 93 octane pump gas. What do you suggest for Joe?
Posted on: 2009/8/1 19:21

Guru
54 Posts

Quote:

dan0617 wrote:
Whew. I'm all typed out too. But anyway....Tony....which AFR head do you suggest for Joe's combo? His combo is mostly listed here. Would he be better, keeping budget in mind, to go with a 195 comp port or the next step up (didn't look it up, is it 205 or 210??) Street ported head? And how high would you push the dynamic CR? And how tight of a quench distance? I'm sure a tight quench helps loads with suppressing detonation. I know I'm happy at 9.2 on 93 octane pump gas. What do you suggest for Joe?

Need to verify a few pieces of info...

CID
Comp Ratio (about 11.0 recommended...slightly more on 93 and perhaps slightly less on 91)
Cam type (hyd. roller, solid roller, etc.) and approx duration/lift
Application
Desired RPM and shiftpoints

And yes....keep the head about .040 from the piston via block milling, gasket thickness, or both.

Thanks,
Tony

PS....Can you humor me and say you picked up something from the essay I wrote??....LOL
Posted on: 2009/8/1 19:44

Master Guru
Boston, MA
646 Posts

Quote:

TonyMamo wrote:
Need to verify a few pieces of info...

CID
Comp Ratio (about 11.0 recommended...slightly more on 93 and perhaps slightly less on 91)
Cam type (hyd. roller, solid roller, etc.) and approx duration/lift
Application
Desired RPM and shiftpoints

I posted this earlier in the thread Tony. Here is what is set in stone, sitting in a bag under the bench.

412 cubic inch smallblock (4.185" bore, 3.750" stroke)

16.2cc pistons, reverse dome, .010" into hole.

Solid flat tappet camshaft, 235/242 @ .050, 270/280 advertised, .495, .507 lift with 1.5 rockers (but will probably run 1.6 rockers)

With a 64cc chamber, 10.4:1 static compression, 8.7:1 dynamic (RHS for example)

With a 65cc chamber, 10.3:1 static compression, 8.6:1 dynamic.

Here is some 'software guesses that should not be considered':

RHS combo 454 HP at 5500rpm, 500 foot lbs at 2500 RPM
AFR combo 484 HP at 6000rpm, 503 foot lbs at 4000 RPM

I'm trying to find a 4.200" head gasket that is around .032-.034"...

I guess, you know, with the AFR elim 195 I could angle mill it to 60cc, that would put me at 10.8 static and 9.1 dynamic (which sounds dangerous on pump gas). That would bring the numbers in about 495hp, 515 foot lbs. But then I have to put out another $200+ to mill $1500 heads..

-- Joe
Posted on: 2009/8/1 20:16

tpi421vett Re: Started the car with the AFR heads last night
Registered Vendor
Salt Lake City Utah
125 Posts

Hey Joe, I think I can help you with a good price on some heads.
Posted on: 2009/8/1 20:23
450ci now with AFR 235...

Guru
54 Posts

Joe...

You could go with our 210 street heads also....the major difference being the 210 street has a larger 1206 style entrance (similar to the 195 Comp)

The 195 street has a 1205 style entrance....

How much octane do you run?

-Tony

PS....Also, you could flat mill either head (195 or 210) to 60 cc's which only costs $150 I believe.
Posted on: 2009/8/1 20:51

Master Guru
Boston, MA
646 Posts

Quote:

tpi421vett wrote:
Hey Joe, I think I can help you with a good price on some heads.

Hi Jim,

I got your PM. If I go with AFR I'll def get them from you.

I'd be looking for an AFR 195 with the felpro 1205 port, and springs comperable to comps '987 springs. (121 lbs seat, 344/inch)

-- Joe
Posted on: 2009/8/2 1:21

Master Guru
Boston, MA
646 Posts

Quote:

TonyMamo wrote:
Joe...

You could go with our 210 street heads also....the major difference being the 210 street has a larger 1206 style entrance (similar to the 195 Comp)

The 195 street has a 1205 style entrance....

How much octane do you run?

-Tony

PS....Also, you could flat mill either head (195 or 210) to 60 cc's which only costs $150 I believe.

Curiously, why would you flat mill rather than angle mill?

I'd be running 92-93 octane pump gas, 10% ethanol is what they sell around here.

Given the rest of my specs, whats your power estimate if I milled those suckers down to 60cc, which I think is 10.8 static / 9.1 dynamic?

My software simulators say 484 @ 6k, though I don't think the simulate how much bite cubic inches take out of a cam. I think the peak will be closer to 5500-5800 rpm.

cam is 106 lsa, 106 ica. 57 degrees of overlap.

Guys:

When you guys are calculating your DCR, are you using IVC at .050" plus 15 degrees, or are you using the advertised IVC ?

For example, .050" is (43.5 + 15) = 58.5 calcs to 9.1
While advertised is 61 which calcs to 8.9

-- Joe
Posted on: 2009/8/2 1:29

tpi421vett Re: Started the car with the AFR heads last night
Registered Vendor
Salt Lake City Utah
125 Posts

Hey guys look... take any given port volume and try to find another head that can compare flow per port volume what AFR does. Nobody else can make a head with a port volume under 200 cc's, flow over 300cfm. Most companies struggle to get a 230cc port volume head hit those numbers. More airflow thru any size port is going to give you more torque better throttle response and more power, more air speed and velocity. And the new 235's are in 18 degree territory with the numbers they are putting out. You can't get a better head for about anything operating under 7000 rpm that is driven on the street or strip than AFR. And I have seen ported heads with massive port volumes, and there is no comparison. They suck as far as street manners go. AFR is the real deal!
Posted on: 2009/8/2 2:05
450ci now with AFR 235...

Guru
54 Posts

Quote:

anesthes wrote:
Curiously, why would you flat mill rather than angle mill?

I'd be running 92-93 octane pump gas, 10% ethanol is what they sell around here.

Given the rest of my specs, whats your power estimate if I milled those suckers down to 60cc, which I think is 10.8 static / 9.1 dynamic?

My software simulators say 484 @ 6k, though I don't think the simulate how much bite cubic inches take out of a cam. I think the peak will be closer to 5500-5800 rpm.

cam is 106 lsa, 106 ica. 57 degrees of overlap.

Flatmill is less expensive but the max flatmill is 60 cc's....anything less dictates an angle mill is required.

10.8 is fine assuming you have enough duration at .050 and overlap....I seem to have missed those figures.

Also, I would have encouraged you to go alot wider on the LSA.....110 or so would have been better IMO for a street car at least. IMO, 106 would be more ideal for a roadrace application. It would have been more "friendly" on the street with a slightly wider LSA. I would have went in the mid 230's at .050 with high .500's lift with a 1.6 rocker.

A 236/242 XE cam with our 195 street heads would have made great torque and big power as well, not nosing over hard till 66-6700 or so (probably peak at 61-6200)

I would have installed it at 106-107 or so (3-4 degrees advanced).

-Tony

EDIT....Just saw your cam....our duration numbers are close BUT, your discussing a solid flat tappet which will act smaller due to the lash. I was thinking hydraulic roller which would make more power than the cam you quoted specs on. Not sure if you would consider going that route but I would think the extra power and lack of valve adjustment/maintenance would be worthy of consideration.
Posted on: 2009/8/2 4:46

Guru
54 Posts

Joe,

If you decide to stick with your current cam choice I think the 195 would work out better than the 210.....not enough lift to really tap into the larger heads sweet spot so the only thing you accomplish is slowing the airspeed and cylinder packing ability. Even with the hyd. roller I proposed, a 195 is still a solid choice if you want to enhance the curve on the bottom for that big inch grunt feel versus a little more peak power up top.

Two good choices....the decision becomes more about the personal taste of the guy sitting in the drivers seat but with the smaller flat tappet a 195 would work best all around.

-Tony
Posted on: 2009/8/2 17:13

Master Guru
Boston, MA
646 Posts

Quote:

TonyMamo wrote:

Flatmill is less expensive but the max flatmill is 60 cc's....anything less dictates an angle mill is required.

Ok.

Quote:

TonyMamo wrote:

Also, I would have encouraged you to go alot wider on the LSA.....110 or so would have been better IMO for a street car at least. IMO, 106 would be more ideal for a roadrace application.

That I don't understand. Everyone from Lingenfelter to Vizard recommends 104-106 LSA on motors over 406 cubic inches. pretendware calculators like Camquest and Desktop dyno also show torque increases with 106lsa on 413 cubic inches. ??

Quote:

TonyMamo wrote:

EDIT....Just saw your cam....our duration numbers are close BUT, your discussing a solid flat tappet which will act smaller due to the lash. I was thinking hydraulic roller which would make more power than the cam you quoted specs on.

The solid should make more power than a hydraulic with similar specs, not to mention the lash can be tuned to get the most out of it. The cam has low lift, but that is fine because with 1.6 rockers it should put the lift into the mid 500s which would be great with either heads.

My intake is set up for 1205 ports, so AFR 195 would be better than the 210s I think.

I have 99.9% of what I need to put the car together. All I really need is the heads, and a torque converter.

Speaking of converter, I want to stay around 2400-2500 which is why I selected the cam I did. (well that, and it's a known cam that puts 406s around 500hp).

Eventually, when I get a screaming good deal ok a TKO I'll ditch the TH350, but for now, it's what I have.

Anyhow. The engine is in a bag sleeping, and the car is on my trailer. I just started digging up my front yard (removing grass), once my dig safe permit comes in I'll dig and fill everything with the loader, compact it and have the slab poured. Garage should hopefully be complete by mid September. So I have until then to pick heads.

-- Joe
Posted on: 2009/8/3 12:47

Guru
54 Posts

Joe,

Speak to ten different engine builders and you will get seven different opinions at least. A 106 LSA is great for a small motor in an effort to boost its torque output....a 350 or smaller yet can only produce "X" amount of torque and a tight LSA helps to fatten it up some but it also adds a fair amount of overlap which effects low RPM part throttle, idle quality, and fuel economy....everything a street car would have concern with. Its great for a road race application where economy, part throttle, and idle quality has no concern and helps a car come off a corner much harder but there is no free lunch because it does effect the other aspects I mentioned as well as falling off alot faster than a wider LSA cam.

With your displacement, you will have more midrange torque than you can probably hook well on street tires anyway....I would cam it with a wider LSA to reduce overlap some and improve the aspects of street performance I mentioned above.

Take the same 400 CID combo and run a 230/236 cam on a 106 LSA....if you installed a 234/240 cam and ran it on a 110, the larger cam would actually have better idle quality and better low RPM part throttle driving manners, and it would destroy it in peak and after peak power with the added duration and the wider LSA positioning the intake closing point later in the cycle. The 106 LSA cam would make 20 ft lbs more torque in the 3500-4000 range but I would rather have better driving manners and 20 more HP (peak) with 35+ more HP past peak at your shift point. The average power in the range you would likely run WOT would be improved (say from 4000 - 6500) and it would actually be cleaner around town (less surging and those types of issues). The fact I lose a little torque in the middle of the curve (especially with a big motor that has more than enough) is a trade-off I'm willing to have for better driving manners and a stronger top end charge.

Regarding your flat tappet solid making more power than a modern fast ramp hydraulic roller I really have to beg to differ there. The ramp rates are faster and the modern hydraulic roller will lift the valve more tapping into the meat of the AFR 195's flow curve (.550 + is more ideal). At the very least spending a bunch more time in crank degrees at 280+ CFM).

The only advantage a flat tappet solid has is clean higher RPM capability but the reality is our new Eliminator stuff is so good now with all the lightweight components and lightweight hyd. roller springs, you can buzz it cleanly to 6700 or so and with the cam size you are considering thats more RPM than you will likely be able to use anyway so the fact you could spin your flat tappet mechanical to 7000 is a waste....it will have nosed over hard many RPM's before that. Once again....besides the added power a hyd. roller has zero maintenance and your not biting your nails for 25 mins hoping it breaks in properly either (I don't miss that!).

Flat tappet stuff is old school honestly....the only reasons to consider running it are cost and class rules that sometimes say a flat tappet style cam is all you can run.

Wes Migletz tested his AFR headed 392 on the engine dyno (when we compared the Dart/AFR/and ported GM heads) and with the exact same heads and just swapping to a modern hyd. roller I believe picked up something like 25 HP....it was a huge gain over his solid flat tappet grind.

In short, building extremely capable pump gas street combinations is an area I spend (and have spent) alot of time developing. Some of this related to my own projects over the last 25 years as my primary source of fun has been more the street than all out track oriented applications (although I know how to make them run hard as well).

Just ask Cusinart Vette who got a ride in my C5.....perfect driving manners around town....slight burble at an idle, and all hell breaks loose at WOT. Car traps 130 MPH with a 91 octane 383 combo....with a 114 LSA cam btw :thumbleft:

Also, one last thing with LSA....I have noticed the EFI engines with good heads dont respond the same to narrow LSA gains like carbed applications generally would...alot of people that are in the narrow LSA camp are looking at data surrounding carb'ed applications. With a good cylinder head and EFI you want to spread those lobes. Look at the latest trends from the OEM's as well.....117 and higher and these engines are producing great power for their given displacement and mild nature of the package.

-Tony
Posted on: 2009/8/3 18:38

iCorvette Re: Started the car with the AFR heads last night
Senior Guru
302 Posts

Quote:

TonyMamo wrote:
Joe,

Speak to ten different engine builders and you will get seven different opinions at least. A 106 LSA is great for a small motor in an effort to boost its torque output....a 350 or smaller yet can only produce "X" amount of torque and a tight LSA helps to fatten it up some but it also adds a fair amount of overlap which effects low RPM part throttle, idle quality, and fuel economy....everything a street car would have concern with. Its great for a road race application where economy, part throttle, and idle quality has no concern and helps a car come off a corner much harder but there is no free lunch because it does effect the other aspects I mentioned as well as falling off alot faster than a wider LSA cam.

With your displacement, you will have more midrange torque than you can probably hook well on street tires anyway....I would cam it with a wider LSA to reduce overlap some and improve the aspects of street performance I mentioned above.

Take the same 400 CID combo and run a 230/236 cam on a 106 LSA....if you installed a 234/240 cam and ran it on a 110, the larger cam would actually have better idle quality and better low RPM part throttle driving manners, and it would destroy it in peak and after peak power with the added duration and the wider LSA positioning the intake closing point later in the cycle. The 106 LSA cam would make 20 ft lbs more torque in the 3500-4000 range but I would rather have better driving manners and 20 more HP (peak) with 35+ more HP past peak at your shift point. The average power in the range you would likely run WOT would be improved (say from 4000 - 6500) and it would actually be cleaner around town (less surging and those types of issues). The fact I lose a little torque in the middle of the curve (especially with a big motor that has more than enough) is a trade-off I'm willing to have for better driving manners and a stronger top end charge.

Regarding your flat tappet solid making more power than a modern fast ramp hydraulic roller I really have to beg to differ there. The ramp rates are faster and the modern hydraulic roller will lift the valve more tapping into the meat of the AFR 195's flow curve (.550 + is more ideal). At the very least spending a bunch more time in crank degrees at 280+ CFM).

The only advantage a flat tappet solid has is clean higher RPM capability but the reality is our new Eliminator stuff is so good now with all the lightweight components and lightweight hyd. roller springs, you can buzz it cleanly to 6700 or so and with the cam size you are considering thats more RPM than you will likely be able to use anyway so the fact you could spin your flat tappet mechanical to 7000 is a waste....it will have nosed over hard many RPM's before that. Once again....besides the added power a hyd. roller has zero maintenance and your not biting your nails for 25 mins hoping it breaks in properly either (I don't miss that!).

Flat tappet stuff is old school honestly....the only reasons to consider running it are cost and class rules that sometimes say a flat tappet style cam is all you can run.

Wes Migletz tested his AFR headed 392 on the engine dyno (when we compared the Dart/AFR/and ported GM heads) and with the exact same heads and just swapping to a modern hyd. roller I believe picked up something like 25 HP....it was a huge gain over his solid flat tappet grind.

In short, building extremely capable pump gas street combinations is an area I spend (and have spent) alot of time developing. Some of this related to my own projects over the last 25 years as my primary source of fun has been more the street than all out track oriented applications (although I know how to make them run hard as well).

Just ask Cusinart Vette who got a ride in my C5.....perfect driving manners around town....slight burble at an idle, and all hell breaks loose at WOT. Car traps 130 MPH with a 91 octane 383 combo....with a 114 LSA cam btw :thumbleft:

Also, one last thing with LSA....I have noticed the EFI engines with good heads dont respond the same to narrow LSA gains like carbed applications generally would...alot of people that are in the narrow LSA camp are looking at data surrounding carb'ed applications. With a good cylinder head and EFI you want to spread those lobes. Look at the latest trends from the OEM's as well.....117 and higher and these engines are producing great power for their given displacement and mild nature of the package.

-Tony
Posted on: 2009/8/3 18:57

1989GTA Re: Started the car with the AFR heads last night
Guru
61 Posts

Back to the head castings for a moment. Do not the AFR 195 Eliminator heads share the same casting as the 180cc heads? Do not the AFR 195 Competition heads share the same casting as the 210cc and larger heads?

Tony, that is a wicked Corvette that you have. 130 in the quarter and decent street manners. About as good as it gets.
Posted on: 2009/8/3 21:49

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.