Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
271 user(s) are online (205 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Coil over
The term coil over means having a coil spring coaxial with the shock absorber. In terms of a Corvette, it replaces the leaf spring.

[IMG]http:/...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

corvetteronw Ramble on
Senior Guru
Lowell, MI
646 Posts

It has been butt-arsed cold here in Michigan. I got the 91 steel blue coupe home from North Carolina the weekend of Dec 12/13. That was the last good weather we had.
The only thing I have done to the car so far is to install the Champagne-color 2003 Anniversary wheels that I bought from someone on the big forum. I got new 17" front and 18" rear tires from an Ebay vendor too.
Oh yeah, bought a new trickle charger and put that on her.
I have had some frustrating problems trying to get the wheel centers painted to match the wheels. I did not receive the centers with the wheels so I bought a set of used chrome ones from Vette2Vette. I used a heat gun and Goof Off to remove the existing C5 decals and bought a set of C4 wheel center decals from another Ebay vendor to put on after paint.
I could only find a paint pen from the local GM dealers. I wanted a spray can but that was impossible to get from them.
I could not find the correct color from any of the big Corvette vendors so I went on line and bought a quart of VERY EXPENSIVE paint from a jobber in California ($80 with shipping to Michigan). The only color the jobber could find that was even close for a 2003 Corvette wheel was a light metallic gold. I bought a small aerosol kit that has a glass bottle attached to it so you can spray paint from a can. You guessed it - WRONG FREAKING COLOR! It was too dark. Looks funny. Can't have that .
I was out and about yesterday and saw a hobby shop. Went in there and tried the "eyeball" test and found a small can of light gold spray paint (under $6 thank goodness).
Took that home, turned on the electric heater and heat lamp out in the 18 degree garage and painted the center caps along with the plastic lug nut covers a beautiful shade of (wait for it)........light gold........still too damn dark. So much for the old eyeballs.
Left for work early tonight and stopped at a local Finish Master paint jobber. Showed him my print out from the 50th Anniversary Corvette Forum (yes Martha, there is such a critter out there) that showed the paint code and the Dupont name of "Warm Nickel". They mixed it up while I waited and now I have enough of the (I freakin hope) correct color. I have it in my mail box here in the clinic so it does not freeze in the truck while I am working.
TOMORROW I PAINT! Will post pics when I get it done right and after I get the decals on.
My next project is to swap the driver and passenger seat and take the driver's bolster from the former driver's seat to the local upholstery shop to see if they can match the blue leather with some sturdy vinyl or pleather.
Then it is on to buffing the paint back to its former luster. I met an 86 owner at Carlisle who is from New York state. He is FedExing me his Porter Cable DA buffer so I can use some Adams swirl remover to do that job. Hope the stuff works in the cold as the warmest I can get the pole barn on a sunny day is to about 40 degrees.
That will probably work for the major parts of the body but the nose and tail will have to be sanded down and repainted. Looks like the "down south" sun got to these areas and make them look like light blue primer.
Oh well, that's why they call it a hobby, right?
I am hoping to get the car presentable by the NCM's C4/ZR1 Gathering in mid May.
Anyone see my article in last month's issue of Corvette Enthusiast magazine? It is in the "I'm a Corvette Enthusiast" section in the back and covers a couple I met at Bloomington Gold and their sweet 81 Corvette. I will have another article in the next issue too about a beautiful black 86 (same guy who is loaning me the buffer). Then I have another article about an 85 that has been cloned to look like a Corvette Challenge car but am not sure when that will come out.
Enough rambling - gotta punch out and get home.
Posted on: 2010/1/21 3:26

BillH Re: Ramble on
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

corvetteronw wrote:

I could not find the correct color from any of the big Corvette vendors so I went on line and bought a quart of VERY EXPENSIVE paint from a jobber in California ($80 with shipping to Michigan). The only color the jobber could find that was even close for a 2003 Corvette wheel was a light metallic gold. I bought a small aerosol kit that has a glass bottle attached to it so you can spray paint from a can. You guessed it - WRONG FREAKING COLOR! It was too dark. Looks funny. Can't have that .

You can get exact matched color in a spraycan from your local paint supplier but ir runs like $25 a can. I got some from a PPG Automotive paint store.
It's also available on like for like $15 IRRC.

I can't remember what search I did a while ago but, something like automotive paint in spray cans on Google. There's a bunch of suppliers.
Posted on: 2010/1/21 3:43

Livin_the_dream Re: Ramble on
Senior Guru
robesonia , pa
516 Posts

http://www.automotivetouchup.com/spray_paint.asp
I used these guys for some touch up for my 88 good match
Posted on: 2010/1/21 4:25
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

corvetteronw Re: Ramble on
Senior Guru
Lowell, MI
646 Posts

Good to know.
In my rambles I forgot to say that I have been banned for 1 week from the big guys forum.
Looks like I incited a riot or something at CFOT.
Oh well, it has happened to bigger and better than me.
Posted on: 2010/1/21 4:36

bogus Re: Ramble on
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Sounds like retirement could be profitable!!!

All in all, quite the adventure. Can't wait to see pics!!!

You got banned? What did you do, mention CG???
Posted on: 2010/1/21 6:43

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

anesthes Re: Ramble on
Master Guru
Boston, MA
646 Posts

Quote:

corvetteronw wrote:

Oh well, it has happened to bigger and better than me.

They won't make the mistake of banning a shareholder again..

-- Joe
Posted on: 2010/1/21 11:51

Senior Guru
Lowell, MI
646 Posts

There is a relatively new member there by the handle of "Olcrusty" who is a pillar of the Corvette community with a wicked sense of humor.
All I did was suggest that he go over to Off Topic and use some of his wit to spice things up. I suggested that he would either be very popular there or get eaten alive.
Well, he had never heard of that section of crazies and started posting stuff there and got into it with those who were bashing C4s.
Hell, I never even visited CFOT during that time but was told that I was banned for inciting controversy.
I'm just an innocent little fuzzball there :offtheair:
Posted on: 2010/1/21 15:26

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

so you were banned for suggesting someone go to OT. That's absurd.

It's paramount to getting arrested because you told someone that a bar existed and they go out, get drunk and have an accident. You didn't provide them the alcohol, just the fact that a place that sold it existed.

Ignorant.

If they keep that level of administration up, they won't have any members.

IB deserves it.
Posted on: 2010/1/21 15:30

Sweet90 Re: Ramble on
Elite Guru
Edmonton, Alberta
1143 Posts

Quote:

corvetteronw wrote:
There is a relatively new member there by the handle of "Olcrusty" who is a pillar of the Corvette community with a wicked sense of humor.
All I did was suggest that he go over to Off Topic and use some of his wit to spice things up. I suggested that he would either be very popular there or get eaten alive.
Well, he had never heard of that section of crazies and started posting stuff there and got into it with those who were bashing C4s.
Hell, I never even visited CFOT during that time but was told that I was banned for inciting controversy.

Hey Ron, I've asked him to sign up over here. I'm picturing him and Pappy together

Jim
Posted on: 2010/1/21 15:37

Olcrusty Re: Ramble on
Guru Newb
Virginia
14 Posts

Beware, I have decided to peruse this group and preen the feathers of joy, comfort and wisdom associated with Corvettes and the great pilots that fly them upon the flowing ribbons of asphalt accross this great USA and even into as far as Sweet90's Xanadu called Edmond Alberta Canada?

Olcrusty said that
Posted on: 2010/1/21 22:52

anesthes Re: Ramble on
Master Guru
Boston, MA
646 Posts

Quote:

corvetteronw wrote:

Got a link to the thread?

-- Joe
Posted on: 2010/1/21 23:08

Matatk Re: Ramble on
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

You'll get it all worked out with the paint, Ron. What about piecing together your intake and head pieces? How is that coming?

I've still got a set of NIB Manley racing valves that I was gonna use in my 113s before I bought the other heads. You can have first dibs on them before I put them up for sale if interested.

Matthew
Posted on: 2010/1/22 2:04

Senior Guru
Lowell, MI
646 Posts

My budget for mods is in the toilet as of now. :pottytrain3:
Posted on: 2010/1/22 5:20

Senior Guru
Lowell, MI
646 Posts

Cannot access the site as I am banned for another day or so.
Posted on: 2010/1/22 5:21

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

personally, I would leave that snake pit alone...
Posted on: 2010/1/22 5:23

Senior Guru
Lowell, MI
646 Posts

Olcrusty - good to see you here!
By the by, what exactly is your Corvette background? From bits of info I gather that you might be one of the hobby's gurus.
Posted on: 2010/1/22 5:24

BrianCunningham Re: Ramble on
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

bizarre
Posted on: 2010/1/22 15:12

MK 82 Re: Ramble on
Senior Guru
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
439 Posts

You forgot to mention your Gordon Killebrew thread that you abandoned. That created a bit of ill will.

Quote:

corvetteronw wrote:
Cannot access the site as I am banned for another day or so.
Posted on: 2010/1/23 1:26

Senior Guru
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
439 Posts

Quote:

DropTopCE wrote:
You forgot to mention your Gordon Killebrew thread that you abandoned. That created a bit of ill will.

No comment?
Posted on: 2010/1/23 18:34

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

What's up with the GK thread? I am curious!!!!
Posted on: 2010/1/24 0:12

TommyT-Bone Re: Ramble on
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33766 Posts

I have partaken of the forbidden fruit in CFOT. Even incited a few C4 rampages myself. You have to have thick skin to play in the snake pit. I find it mildly entertaining every blue moon. I honed some of my forum skills there. I guess it shows. LOL ...
Posted on: 2010/1/24 0:55

NEVRL8T Re: Ramble on
Guru
Little Rock, AR
74 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
What's up with the GK thread? I am curious!!!!

Ron has been accused of advertising for Gordon and never responded in his thread to defend himself. I am banned so I can't post anything there.
Posted on: 2010/1/24 1:38

Senior Guru
Lowell, MI
646 Posts

I bought a membership to www.corvettetroubleshooting.com and openly posted my admiration of Gordon along with Jason and Tobey of www.vette2vette.com
I have no stake in their business and have received no freebies or payment from them. I have purchased items from them twice in the last few months and paid full price.
Maybe the thread was posted when I was in Vegas the week after Christmas and I didn't see it.
I and many others think Gordon is a giant in the hobby. Hell, he was just admitted to the National Corvette Museum Hall of fame.
He has done work on my previous C4s and given me advice for free. He is a legend and will be sorely missed when he passes from this earth some day.
If someone thinks I am profiting from my friendship with them they are sorely wrong.
I have also attended classes by Chris Petris and he too has worked on one of my C4s for free. I have also praised his expertise and no one got their panties in a bunch about that.
No moderator of any of the Forums I belong to has ever said anything to me in a negative fashion other than my recent week-long ban and a warning from Mr Mojo about posting a link to a naughty web site several years ago.
Posted on: 2010/1/24 1:53

NEVRL8T Re: Ramble on
Guru
Little Rock, AR
74 Posts

Ron,
I knew better but I couldn't post to try and defend you in your absence. How much did the membership cost for the Corvette trouble shooting website and what all does it entail? I received a flyer from Jason at V2V but now I cannot find it. Thanks.
Posted on: 2010/1/24 2:35

Senior Guru
Lowell, MI
646 Posts

Well I will be damned! I posted an apology over there and they locked the thread within mere minutes. Maybe because I mentioned Corvette Guru? Sure is a sensitive bunch. Probably will be banned again.
And to think I donated money to them!
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-ge ... /2513582-i-apologize.html
Posted on: 2010/1/24 2:35

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

They still want to be an island. Unless you pay to play, you can't come aboard their island.

Screw them. This is a planet. As such, I don't restrict posting from other sites. I never will, either.

Lemme put it this way... say a vendor comes to me and says, "I want to sponsor your site, but I don't like the policy of open crossposting." I would send them packing.

I refuse to get that anal. Additionally, it is a pain to regulate.

Think of it this way: Someone started that thread on CF about me and my story being in CE. A fellow guru xposted a link to us. That thread, surprisingly, lived to see a natural death. On the flip side, Ron posts something and now the mods/admin are beating on him. It's inconsistant and unfair.

The best thing that has ever happened to me was getting permabanned. It removed temptation to ever go back. I haven't even created a new acct. I have no desire.
Posted on: 2010/1/24 5:25

Senior Guru
Lowell, MI
646 Posts

Quote:

NEVRL8T wrote:
Ron,
I knew better but I couldn't post to try and defend you in your absence. How much did the membership cost for the Corvette trouble shooting website and what all does it entail? I received a flyer from Jason at V2V but now I cannot find it. Thanks.

I got a discount by being a charter member while at Carlisle this August. I paid just under $80.
If i understand correctly Gordon dictated the fixes to hundreds of C4 problems and Tobey had them transcribed. If you are a member then you can access the site and find answers to your problems. Jason will also take pics of how to do the fix so you can see how it is done. If a member comes up with something that is not covered then they will have Gordon relate the fix to that problem also. You can also buy used parts from Jason to do the fix or buy new from the vendors they are trying to align with the site.
Interesting story: Gordon is also an expert on other GM cars such as the 70's Impalas. He was a utility man on the assembly line and knew how to do each and every job on that line - AND can still tell you how each job was done. Amazing guy!
Posted on: 2010/1/24 5:34

89Vette Re: Ramble on
Senior Guru
135 Posts

Quote:

corvetteronw wrote:
I bought a membership to www.corvettetroubleshooting.com and openly posted my admiration of Gordon along with Jason and Tobey of www.vette2vette.com.

Dude, that's an understatement! Though I did not hound you like other members of the CF (and one in this thread), I'm the one who raised the question.

This was your post in C4Tech...
Quote:

corvetteronw wrote:The only technical problem I have with my new (to me) 91 is that the tach is reading way too high. It's showing 5,700 rpm at 79 mph
After looking at several of the forums and doing searches and advice I am totally confused.
Then it hit me.Hey dumbarse, I signed up with Gordon's new troubleshooting service when I was at Carlisle. I have a telephone appointment with him at 6PM on Friday Dec 18 to discuss the problem. Might as well go straight to the source.
Here is the website if you are interested:http://www.corvettetroubleshooting.com/

There are a couple of things that strike any reasonable reader of that CF thread entitled "Gordon Killebrew to the rescue!".

1) Killebrew hadn't rescued you.
2) You posted a link to his website.
3) Your demeanor was like "Hey, I could have had a V8!". It was "flip".
4) Here's the biggey...You never posted a solution, what Killebrew said, etc...

How does that NOT look like SPAM? To compound the issue, I'd noticed your adulation of GK in other threads. So, out of curiousity, I did a search on "Killebrew" posts by "CorvetteRonW". Imagine my surprise when I found 205 threads with that criteria. (You read that right, two hundred and five posts about Killebrew!) Even worse, most of the recent threads openly posted links to corvettetroubleshooting and SEVERAL were posted solely for that purpose -- to advertise his new site.

If you have the right to post about your idol over and over and over -- with constant links to his site, it shouldn't seem unfair to ask WTF? So, I did just that. I asked WTF!

After doing so, the vultures at the CF had a hay-day. (You could say I encited a riot.) They kept demanding a response -- though none of the trolls had the decency to PM you for a reply. (Or maybe you did and ignored them. Or maybe I should have PM'd you since I posted the original thought on the subject. Mainly, I just wanted the thread to die -- since you didn't think it important enough to post a decent solution thread vs spamming Killebrew.)

My opinion is you were getting out-of-hand for a person w/o some personal interest. Or,,,maybe you're just a fanatic about Killebrew who needs to throttle it back a notch. It doesn't matter to me.

In the CF mindset, they probably have to look at situations like that as underminding their paid sponsors. Maybe (as the two founders of this forum might say) paid sponsors can't/shouldn't have more privledges than non-paid members, but any business has a right to dictate it's rules. Keeping people from deliberately routing consumers elsewhere is something ANY business owner would try to stop. That's life.

FWIW: I even went to bat for bogus/cc after they were banned. I wrote a long email explaining why they shouldn't be banned. The paragraph above was essentially their response -- saying they repeatedly bashed and/or tried to redirect members. Since the CF's nazi-like approach is to delete offending posts, it's pretty damn hard to determine fact from friction from exaggeration (in a CF moderator's reply),,,but that's what they (CF) said.

To be honest, I was VERY disappointed in their action/reply. Since activity and answers are still more available over there, that's where I go to get them. Unfortunately, it's hard to play favorites when you need answers. But, I still look in (here) from time-to-time to see some of the old friends from the CF.

BTW Ron,,,the (CF) apology thread -- you said was locked shortly after creation -- is NOT locked. Are you still sure you were banned for the OT thing after reading this? I'm really not trying to rag you, but it adds one more layer to my WTF response to you/your posts. Still, I know you bring lots of good feedback/replies. For one thing, I noticed you offered to send a TPI runner to someone out of the U.S. It sounded like you were going to do that for free. And, that's something only a generous person would do.

In closing...My thoughts here and post at the CF were purely out of curiousity. In the interest of fair play, I provide you with everything on the subject I was thinking and/or did. By no means did I intentially try to get you kicked out of the CF, nor did I notify any moderators. I guess there are enough sleps to take care of that -- by just raising a thought.

Is is, afterall, the internet. You know... Al Gore's baby! LOL

gp
Posted on: 2010/1/25 6:37

Senior Guru
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
439 Posts

The thing that looks funny is the fact that you never revisited the GK thread. You posted several times after the question was raised. Are you saying that you posted in other threads but never checked on yours? Why did you never close out the thread?

The challenge was made on Jan 8. You say you didn't see it because you were on vacation but you posted virtually every day during that period. 205 posts about GK? I personally couldn't care less about your relationship with GK. Just don't piss in my ear and tell me it's raining. Your apology thread is not closed.

If it quacks like a duck?
Posted on: 2010/1/27 21:10

NC Kid Re: Ramble on
Elite Guru
North Carolina
1671 Posts

Enough has been said. /thread/
Posted on: 2010/1/28 3:04

Senior Guru
Lowell, MI
646 Posts

I only post about Gordon and he website to educate others. If they want to join his online help forum or not then it's entirely up to them. There is so much bad information out there on the many Corvette Forums that I thought his idea of being able to go to one source would be helpful.
The site is still a work in progress. I found out that he had 15,000 pages of transcription done and there are 8 different people typing them up. The site will go live after he has finished proof reading them.
I am a Corvette fanatic. I have owned 6 of them. Gordon wrote the Factory Service Manuals. He has a photographic memory. He fixes C4 owners cars at his seminars for free. He is in the National Corvette Museum hall of fame. I admit that I idolize him. I was a Corvette owner before the internet was popular and the only information out there was in the magazines. If you asked a question about a problem it took a few months to get an answer.
I played phone tag about my tach problem with him on one of the weekends when he was at the Vette2Vette office dictating. He does not give out his personal phone number. Every time he called I was unavailable and every time I called him he was out. The tach problem is not a huge concern to me and I delayed posting as I kept thinking I would be able to hook up with him but it did not happen. I will wait to talk with him at the C4 Gathering. OR - when his site goes live I will be able to access the info through my membership.
I don't want to get into a pissing contest about the whole matter. That's my explanation.
Posted on: 2010/1/28 5:14

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Ron - You are missing a big detail... CF does not want their members to be educated.

V2V has stopped advertising on CF, so they are truly persona non gratis. I suspect even a passing mention of them is enough to cause a banning.

As for Gordon personally, I met the man about 6 years ago at a club sponsored event. j3studio and Rex Ruby from CF came down and joined in the fun. Gordon is a unique person. He helped write the Helm manual and can quote the damned thing chapter and verse. He has a near photographic memory and a gift toward things mechanical. Without it sounding insulting, because it is only half true, he verges on the edge of idiot savant, but he is not an idiot. Far from it.

I remember asking him about the optispark... mainly cause GM had lost spark already... his reply "hell if I know..." and walked off with a look of absolute disgust - not at me, but at the memory of that design.

Oh, Ron, tach filter. Bet money on it.

Gregg - You have been somewhat sucked into the CF mentality. That is one of absolute suspicion of anyone promoting a good or product that isn't already a sponsor. Don't feel bad, many have fallen into that trap, cause from the Forums' perspective, it makes monetary sense to restrict conversation. I just have a different view. There will come a time when a member here can't get the answer and perhaps, just perhaps, Gordon's site will provide it. To me, a running Corvette is worth a shit load more than some desire to make another $100.00.

I call it karma, and at some point in the future, karma will kick back... and when it does, watch out.
Posted on: 2010/2/1 0:07

Senior Guru
135 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
Ron - You are missing a big detail... CF does not want their members to be educated.

V2V has stopped advertising on CF, so they are truly persona non gratis. I suspect even a passing mention of them is enough to cause a banning.

As for Gordon personally, I met the man about 6 years ago at a club sponsored event. j3studio and Rex Ruby from CF came down and joined in the fun. Gordon is a unique person. He helped write the Helm manual and can quote the damned thing chapter and verse. He has a near photographic memory and a gift toward things mechanical. Without it sounding insulting, because it is only half true, he verges on the edge of idiot savant, but he is not an idiot. Far from it.

I remember asking him about the optispark... mainly cause GM had lost spark already... his reply "hell if I know..." and walked off with a look of absolute disgust - not at me, but at the memory of that design.

Oh, Ron, tach filter. Bet money on it.

Gregg - You have been somewhat sucked into the CF mentality. That is one of absolute suspicion of anyone promoting a good or product that isn't already a sponsor. Don't feel bad, many have fallen into that trap, cause from the Forums' perspective, it makes monetary sense to restrict conversation. I just have a different view. There will come a time when a member here can't get the answer and perhaps, just perhaps, Gordon's site will provide it. To me, a running Corvette is worth a shit load more than some desire to make another $100.00.

I call it karma, and at some point in the future, karma will kick back... and when it does, watch out.

Not wanting to be educated? Sounds a bit jaded to me, Andy. I don't see a deliberate intent to supress learning over there. Mostly, that platform (C4's that is) and those with money to throw at it are dwindling in lieu of newer models. That itself might be leading to a decline in participation for the C4 crowd. And, that forum is actually lax compared to others I've seen (like AVSforum).

Also, if you were the owner of a brick & mortar retail business where some guy kept coming in and touting another business, you might get tired of it after awhile -- especially if it seemed like the advertising was veiled and sneaky. That was my main point/gripe and I just called "WTF". Nothin' brainwashed about that either. Probably the opposite considering I recognized the pattern before others.

Still, I understand your point above -- in that a person with a running vehicle has a better potential for business than someone ultimately frustrated, then abandoning a car/project.

Lastly, I don't see anything wrong with a site using vendor (vs customer) revenue to stay afloat. IOW, GK should pay a fee to advertise at the Corvette Forums (including this one), if he hopes to gain memberships out of the deal. Otherwise, launch his own website and hope for his own hits. That's the nature of marketing. It's why I don't consider myself brainwashed. Piggy-back off others and you should pay for it. At the very least do favors -- like workshops, educational posts, or whatever.

Gregg
Posted on: 2010/2/5 5:54

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Gregg,

You missed my point, I think. The problem with the CF model is that they are all about insularity. They don't want the outside world to interfere with theirs.

I know that brick and morter has a similar concept. What I am alluding to is that the web is a different animal than conventional business.

First off, we are NOT member supported. Infact, I have even rejected offers to support the site by members. What income we get is from our sponsors or click throughs.

When it comes right down to it, social networking sites are much like bars. At bars, people talk about anything. They even talk about going to other bars. But whilst there, they buy beer.

Would you go into a bar that restricts your conversation? Says that you can only talk about beers they sell, food they offer and bands that play there? I don't think that would last very long.

This is NOT a conventional business. Sure, income is a must, but the reality is that we are not directly offering a product, only a sounding board for ppl.

Gordon is offering a service. A direct product or service. No question, but since we are an open discussion area, we are free to discuss it.

The problem with CF is that they are so protectionist, they can't see something new unless it pays them off first.

The members learn from each other and that is much of the payback for helping. It is the only thing that keeps me from going total ballistic at CF - much of what is in the C4 Tech FAQ was stuff I learned over the years there. I am sure if this site gets big enough, it too will spawn a competitor. Go for it!

I see exactly what you mean about marketing, but at the same time, this isn't a conventional business.

Now, with all that said, I am not into spamming. Spamming is a problem, mainly, because it directs people to sites that are potentially bad.
Posted on: 2010/2/7 2:23

Senior Guru
135 Posts

You're right, I didn't catch your point the first time. What you say has some merit.

From what I see in the CF model, they'll let you talk freely about most anything. You can certainly mention any product, price, or service -- regardless of vendor. Basically, they just don't want you providing clicks right out of their door. That's a pretty small requirement IMO.

Also, when something does reach the level of SPAM, they get tougher. Sounds like you would too.

The interesting thing about your bar/beer concept is it's similar to restaurants. I go to mexican restaurants where they don't have italian food. (Some beers aren't sold in every bar either.) That doesn't stop me from visiting or wanted to be at a particular establishment.

Also, when something new is advertised/paraded around, that does attract new customers. New restaurants, new cars, new shiney aftermarket parts attract people like flys. So, having sponsers present their products has it's advantages. Obviously, there is a fine-line between asking for sponsorship, asking for advertising, and running a free-speech forum. It's hard to see how one might not proclude the other.

You could take this discussion one step further -- to the root of our democracy and free speech. We're supposed to live in one but all forms of media direct/control their content. And, the ones that try their hardest to be as open and accommodating to the general public aren't really the ones that get the most attention. People seem to like being in a certain frame of mind, product, value, etc.... Isn't that the reason people hang out in Corvette Forum's? They don't want to share with Mustang people or Mopar people. It's a club. That in itself is "insulary".

Your serve....
Posted on: 2010/2/12 6:52

Matatk Re: Ramble on
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Quote:

89Vette wrote:

From what I see in the CF model, they'll let you talk freely about most anything. You can certainly mention any product, price, or service -- regardless of vendor. Basically, they just don't want you providing clicks right out of their door. That's a pretty small requirement IMO.

I disagree. I have personally seen references to other sites/vendors in technical/general that were not direct links and were removed from posts, locked, deleted, etc. And try selling an item in the FS section if you don't pay them $300 a month first. Wow.

Matthew
Posted on: 2010/2/12 12:14

Senior Guru
135 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:
I disagree. I have personally seen references to other sites/vendors in technical/general that were not direct links and were removed from posts, locked, deleted, etc.

Recently? Cause I'm not so sure they're paying much attention to C4 sections these days. After all, 205 posts about GK -- including a dozen direct links -- were posted w/o incident!

Quote:

Matatk wrote:
And try selling an item in the FS section if you don't pay them $300 a month first. Wow.

They allow personal sales w/o charge. IOW, if it's off your car, no hassle. When you're trying to sell en masse, then they assume you're a business and want a percentage. Even then, there's a grey area where they allow it.

Ask PeteK if they're trying to get him to pay for advertising and building 383's? I doubt it!
Posted on: 2010/2/13 0:13

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

And even if they are not dealing with C4 section much, they are doing it in C5 and C6, guarenteed.

Quote:

You could take this discussion one step further -- to the root of our democracy and free speech. We're supposed to live in one but all forms of media direct/control their content. And, the ones that try their hardest to be as open and accommodating to the general public aren't really the ones that get the most attention. People seem to like being in a certain frame of mind, product, value, etc.... Isn't that the reason people hang out in Corvette Forum's? They don't want to share with Mustang people or Mopar people. It's a club. That in itself is "insulary".

Touche', but not quite on track.

The reason for a "Corvette only forum" is to discuss the issues surrounding Corvettes. Do many of us even own a Mustang? What about a Mopar? If they do, they won't ask here, they will ask WHERE THE EXPERTS ARE.

It's no different than a Corvette club vs a Mustang club vs a Porsche club. Now, they may do joint events, but those are not the norm. Case in point, the Corvette Club of Pamona Valley were part of a multiple club event (Datsun/Nissan Z cars, BMW Roundel, Ferrari) at a Grand Am event several years back at the California Speedway.

The thing is there, they are all car geeks.

CF is SO insular, that if you mention a Mopar site that IB doesn't already own, you get smacked down.

Interesting site note: Troy started a couple of other sites, Hummer, a motorcycle site and Pontiac Solstice. When he sold CF, that went to IB, the others went to another, smaller company.
Posted on: 2010/2/14 5:37

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.