Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
241 user(s) are online (214 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
 Register To Post

BrianCunningham $41k for the Volt
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20100727/GREEN/100729861

sheesh

I passed on the $8k Hybrid option on my truck.
Posted on: 2010/7/27 21:59
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Vetron87 Re: $41k for the Volt
Elite Guru
Granger, Indiana
1988 Posts

How can we Hot Rod the Volt? Back in the day with slot cars we increased the windings. Hum... maybe SEMA will have some ideas. Can you GE @ SEMA!

Lets see for 41K a Volt or Camero SS seems like a no brainer!
Posted on: 2010/7/27 22:04

flyboy Re: $41k for the Volt
Elite Guru
Westmont, Il.
2632 Posts

Shocking! Isn't that about the price of a bare bones 'vette?
Posted on: 2010/7/27 23:21

bogus Re: $41k for the Volt
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

A Vette is about $45k.

This is seriously advanced technology. It is truly the trailblazer into a new world... and if we want anything that resembles independant transportation, we will have to accept this phase.

It will not replace the gas car for a while... but as a city car, I am all for it.

I will be blunt. If every damned soccer mom and her giant SUV vanished off the LA Freeways, I would not be sad. I hate it... these things getting 10mpg, being driven by some 100lb rich bitch with a brat in the back. WHY???? Status is one thing, but this just annoys the hell out of me. I can't see around them, they are either dangeriously slow or insanely fast... and they don't see me in my vette half the time.

there, rant over.

I cannot fathom the effect a large fleet of these kinds of cars would have on our foreign oil dependancy.
Posted on: 2010/7/28 0:13

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Elite Guru
Granger, Indiana
1988 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
A Vette is about $45k.

This is seriously advanced technology. It is truly the trailblazer into a new world... and if we want anything that resembles independant transportation, we will have to accept this phase.

It will not replace the gas car for a while... but as a city car, I am all for it.

I will be blunt. If every damned soccer mom and her giant SUV vanished off the LA Freeways, I would not be sad. I hate it... these things getting 10mpg, being driven by some 100lb rich bitch with a brat in the back. WHY???? Status is one thing, but this just annoys the hell out of me. I can't see around them, they are either dangeriously slow or insanely fast... and they don't see me in my vette half the time.

there, rant over.

I cannot fathom the effect a large fleet of these kinds of cars would have on our foreign oil dependancy.

Isn't great to rant Andy! Your right! in 10 years from now is when the impact will be really felt! Now if the grid can handle it. We have soccer moms here but they drive Kias, Honda SUV and the CUBE. The big Utes are on used car lots.
Posted on: 2010/7/28 0:22

CentralCoaster Re: $41k for the Volt
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Well, for starters the government agencies can start buying them and putting some miles on them.

They're going to milk taxpayers with government incentives anyways, might as well get the ball rolling so we can get some economy of scale going.

With the government rebate it doesn't seem unreasonable. But those get used up after Chevy sells a certain number of models. I forget what the threshold is, but it's the same for each manufacturer. Toyota for example, no longer qualifies for federal incentives on it's hybrids.
Posted on: 2010/7/28 0:23

Elite Guru
Granger, Indiana
1988 Posts

Local city leaders were going to buy 6 Pruis Hybrids for local inspectors i.e health, plumbing, electrical. Common Council turned it down because they have to buy American pickup trucks which dates back to the 40-60's when Studebacker supplied pu trucks for endurance testing. Projected saving with the hybrids was $135k in fuel only. They purchased 6 new Ford F 150. Go figure! City will have replace 20 vehicles next year.
Posted on: 2010/7/28 0:36

TommyT-Bone Re: $41k for the Volt
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

I'm waiting for the ReVolt. Electricity is manufactured by one source of energy or another. Until they can establish a sustainable nuclear electric grid then fossil fuels will continue to be used to make energy. Wether you get it at the pump or get it out of an electric outlet it's still coming from the fossil fuel producers. I'm gonna be dead and gone by the time any of this technology is of any real use. I can understand Andys feelings about soccer Moms. Real men keep there women at home, barefoot and pregnant and out of SUVs. Don't listen to me though. I'm just another a$$hole.

Language warning:

Posted on: 2010/7/28 2:56

Matatk Re: $41k for the Volt
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

You could get a stripped corvette around here for just under 42k. But that's apples to oranges.

A new prius is what, 32-34k? So maybe it's a little high, but people will buy it just like they did with the prius. The kind of people Ron likes to hang out with - you know college professors who read poetry and have fundraisers to save the endangered bellowing yellow tailed red bellied forest squirrel.

And Tommy has a point. Let's see what happens to electricity prices. I'm not convinced we need more nuclear, but more technology dollars invested in solar and wind power. I'd put solar panels on my house, I'm not opposed to it.

Matthew
Posted on: 2010/7/28 13:11

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:
Let's see what happens to electricity prices. I'm not convinced we need more nuclear, but more technology dollars invested in solar and wind power. I'd put solar panels on my house, I'm not opposed to it.

Matthew

True dat!
Posted on: 2010/7/28 13:30

DaleD Re: $41k for the Volt
Senior Guru
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
1389 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:

I will be blunt. If every damned soccer mom and her giant SUV vanished off the LA Freeways, I would not be sad. I hate it... these things getting 10mpg, being driven by some 100lb rich bitch with a brat in the back. WHY???? Status is one thing, but this just annoys the hell out of me.

As was said in other posts, this is shifting the point of energy consumption. Electricity doesn't come from lightning bugs. In general, it comes from smelly coal burning plants. I'm not sure cars like the Volt are the answer. But, I'm not sure they're not the answer. At $41k, it's not the answer for me, however, I suspect that a progressive government will limit my options.

As for the why of soccer moms and the huge SUVs, the answer is simple, in a crash, they win, you lose. Status might be part of it, but the bottom line for most of them is, they want a huge vehicle that's a safe as possible. And if safe means they have to crush you, well, sorry about your luck. It's not pretty, but I firmly believe that's the major reason behind most SUV purchases.
Posted on: 2010/7/28 13:46

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Soon it will be time for phsychological warfare. Ewe! Your car smokes? That's disgusting. Your clothes smell like fuel. You mean you tranport your children in a car with an exhaust?
Posted on: 2010/7/28 13:55

CentralCoaster Re: $41k for the Volt
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:

And Tommy has a point. Let's see what happens to electricity prices. I'm not convinced we need more nuclear, but more technology dollars invested in solar and wind power. I'd put solar panels on my house, I'm not opposed to it.

Matthew

Electricity can be produced from natural gas, is cheaper, more domestic, and done more efficiently at a powerplant than your car does with petroleum. The overall efficiency is way better.

Wind power is a joke.
Posted on: 2010/7/28 14:41

BillH Re: $41k for the Volt
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Posted on: 2010/7/28 15:04

flyboy Re: $41k for the Volt
Elite Guru
Westmont, Il.
2632 Posts

What happens to those batteries when they wear out?
Posted on: 2010/7/28 15:11

BillH Re: $41k for the Volt
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

flyboy wrote:

The "Cash for Clunker Batteries" program.
Posted on: 2010/7/28 15:17

BrianCunningham Re: $41k for the Volt
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

Quote:

flyboy wrote:

That's what I'm worried about

Do I like the idea of storing braking energy and reusing it to propel the car? yes.

I'm I found of storing it in toxic heavy metal? NO
Posted on: 2010/7/28 15:46

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.