Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
299 user(s) are online (258 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Liter
Metric unit of measure. In the case of engine displacement, it measures the total volume of all combustion chambers. Therefore in a 5.7L V8, each cha...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

jonszr1 exhaust systems .....
Senior Guru
Lone Pine, CA
453 Posts

this is something i have gone way to nuts about trying to find the most powerfull yet really quiet exhaust for my 2 zr1s . what type of exhaust do you have and how do you feel about it pros and cons . just would like to hear what ya all have and what you think about it
Posted on: 2010/10/28 18:40
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

pr0zac Re: exhaust systems .....
Elite Guru
Pittsburgh
1045 Posts

what mods do you have done to them.
Posted on: 2010/10/28 19:04

bogus Re: exhaust systems .....
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Mods are a good question... but in general, I like the tone of the Corsa system. It truly quiets down the cabin resonance.

Also, another good option, on a stock Z at least, is the Borla. I have heard that on a ZR1 and it sounds tight.
Posted on: 2010/10/28 19:08

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Mekanic Re: exhaust systems .....
Registered Vendor
Tampa Bay Florida
827 Posts

Heard a Z with an early BB... I wanted to horrible things to that car... or have it do things to me.

I have a chambered catback on my LT4. Not quiet at all with the hammer down, but doesn't drone awfully.

From what you describe it sounds like you want a Corsa.
Posted on: 2010/10/28 23:29

Yea tho I walk through the valley in the shadow of rice, I shall fear no turbo, for torque art with me.

Andrew Re: exhaust systems .....
2013 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Jefferson City, MO
447 Posts

The yellow bomb has a great flowing system that passes visual state inspection.

Melrose LT headers to Random Tech cats to PE mufflers with 3" stainless tubes. The cabin resonance isn't bad, but it is much louder than Corsa.

Pro's - very, very good flow - can twist a dial to change the baffle and sound

Con's - expensive - probably not as quiet as you would like

Hmmm, just read your thread again, you looking for the best flow or most powerful sounding??
Posted on: 2010/10/29 0:21

Sold - 1996 Competition Yellow LT4 - DRM 383, NX N2O, Line Lock, LT Headers, 3" stainless exhaust, Power Effects, and many more mods

SOLD 1996 Competition Yellow LT4
SOLD 1979 4 Speed with 383

jonszr1 Re: exhaust systems .....
Senior Guru
Lone Pine, CA
453 Posts

my 90 zr1 is ported inj housings and plenum, headers, fidanza fly wheel,henderson tune , and a custom dr gas exhaust with spin tech mufflers with xpipe .its a 21/2in system ,410 gears ,that car has gone 12.10 @119.85mph the other is a callaway 475super natural , that i added headers to,its has 3.90 gears and a fidanza flywheel, bought the car with a corsa at that time the best the car ran was 12.48@116.19 mph. installed a 23/4 desert development exhaust i bought used added 3 ininlet super turbos with 21/2 in dual outlets.and puut the stk zr1 tips from a stk exhaust and the car has gone 11.94@117.90 mph in 95 deg weather .to be honest part of the et improvement was switching over to the new nitto drag radials . but a almost 2 mph improvement in much lousier weather conditions. let me know i was on the right tract. this exhaust doent have an xpipe persaybut it has t 3 in by 2 in tall what looks like thick rulers that go from one pipe to the other where the pipe bend to go down the tunnel . i am thinking of getting one of those narrow xpipe from summit and see what it does . this system is as quiet as a stk system with headers . i dont have cats on either car as i live in the only county in california that doesnt have to smog every 2 years .
Posted on: 2010/10/29 0:27
i have a blast playing with my 4 babies 2 zr1s and 2 mustangs 68 coupe with a jon bennit 408 art car fully rollered c4 with a gearvendors over drive .88 mustang built by my kids with a ported lt5 and a bill boudreau blue printed zf 6 spd. with these 4 ...

Senior Guru
Lone Pine, CA
453 Posts

oh buy the way i have a used corsa that just taking up space if you know of someone interested in it . as well as a flowmaster cat back system .
Posted on: 2010/10/29 0:29
i have a blast playing with my 4 babies 2 zr1s and 2 mustangs 68 coupe with a jon bennit 408 art car fully rollered c4 with a gearvendors over drive .88 mustang built by my kids with a ported lt5 and a bill boudreau blue printed zf 6 spd. with these 4 ...

Josh Re: exhaust systems .....
Guru
Raleigh, NC
666 Posts

I'm interested in the Corsa.

My pops has the Borla on his car and it sounds great. Not too terrible during normal driving, but pretty decent at WOT. Sound is so subjective, it's hard to get a feel without actually hearing one.
Posted on: 2010/10/29 1:41

Senior Guru
Lone Pine, CA
453 Posts

i have vids of both cars at the strip . blk car is the 90 with the dr gas setup . white car is the callaway the drive by vid is of the corsa. and the vid titled jetta vs corvetteat acd is of the current set. the run wasnt the best you get the idea of the sound . the vids are on utube , just type in bradszr1 and go to my favs . if you listen to them tell me what you think .
Posted on: 2010/10/29 2:43

Jefferson City, MO
447 Posts

Are you looking for better flow? If so, the turbo mufflers don't flow that well. With your E/T and the nice range of that LT5, you should take some time off the ET with a better flowing exhaust. Below is a link that shows flow numbers for several mufflers. You might think about dumping the ladder system and get a good X pipe.

The drawback is better flow often means louder.

I'm actually trying to find mufflers that flows as well as the PE's that are not as loud, but have not had any luck.... I'm compromising noise over flow.

http://www.powereffects.com/tech2.htm
Posted on: 2010/10/29 3:13

Sold - 1996 Competition Yellow LT4 - DRM 383, NX N2O, Line Lock, LT Headers, 3" stainless exhaust, Power Effects, and many more mods

cuisinartvette Re: exhaust systems .....
Elite Guru
1782 Posts

Anything that flows a bunch of air isnt going to be real quiet especially with a modded motor.
Posted on: 2010/10/29 3:38

Senior Guru
Lone Pine, CA
453 Posts

ron i beg to differ with you just listen to the vid of the white car @fontana. its as quiet as a stk car with headers when cruizing and isnt that loud when its at wide open throttle . before you say no way listen and then tell me what you think . or go to fontana on sat and hear for yourself . i agree that the ladder system may not be the best, but am trying to decide between going from 23/4 to 21/2 in x pipe or a 3 in xpipe . i have found that a 3 in exhaust on either of my zr1s causes the car to lose about 2-3 tenths ans almost 2 mph at the strip . one thing i found with the c4 is that the drone in the cabin is greatly. reduced if you carry the exhaust tipps 3 in past the valance . and the drone gets worse the closer the tips get to the valance .plus i keep the tip 15 mm below the top of the valance which helped too. a buddy of mine wants me to try some 21/2 in super turbos to see if we can get her even quieter . his thinking is the mufflers being at the end of the system that the 21/2 opening might not slow the car down at all.he says the dyno max super turbos even in 21/2 in form flow almost 400 cfm each .
Posted on: 2010/10/29 4:09

Jefferson City, MO
447 Posts

Look at the link I posted. Yes, the Dyno Max ST flow about 400 CFM (374 to be exact), but Borla flows 27%, each muffler more and PE flows over 59% each muffler more than ST. Cruisinart is correct, more airflow means more noise. However, more airflow does not always mean more power. I would have thought with a ported LT5, it would have the top end range to maximize the extra airflow. Maybe not???

What kind of peak HP and torque are you making and at what RPM? My engine doesn't produce massive torque down low, but when it gets over 2500 +-, hang on. The power doesn't stop pulling and I usually shift before it stops pulling. The cam / heads / and valves are set up for high RPM power and I need very good flow. Motors producing very high torque numbers down low, don't need the extremely high flow numbers and actually perform better with a little back pressure. You posting your ET dropped with 3" pipe leads me to believe that you lost a enough torque to make a difference. Was the change in ET in the first 60 - 1/8 mile?

Anyway, you sound like you already have the mufflers you like, which is great! Keep them and just add a better flowing X pipe. I would not recommend the 2 1/2 with that LT5. Let it breath!!
Posted on: 2010/10/29 4:25

Elite Guru
1782 Posts

Mandrel bent 2.5 should be enough, kind of on the borderline. After having dual 3s on a Z Id recommend against it unless you stroked it. Larger case muffler or a turbo type will quiet it some rather than the straight through or chambered type. The non welded ones can swell a bit too where as welded ones dont. Name your poison.
Resonator will help...

Ill stand firm on air/noise. The exhaust I have on my car now was faor;y quiet with my old motor which made roughly 430 chp. The new one is more than likely 120 over that and is unbeliveably loud at anything over idle with the same exhaust.
Posted on: 2010/10/29 7:20

BillH Re: exhaust systems .....
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

Mekanic wrote:
I have a chambered catback on my LT4. Not quiet at all with the hammer down, but doesn't drone awfully.

+ 1 on the chambered cat back (LT1). Mine has zero drone at cruise (70).
Pretty loud everywhere else though. Does sound a bit like mt C2's sidepipes.
Posted on: 2010/10/29 13:15

Senior Guru
Lone Pine, CA
453 Posts

so did you finally get a chance to get that pretty el camino running?the 90 with the old flowmaster cat back made 409.9 rwhp and 373.66 tqmax rpms 6800 on the hp and max tq rpms5400 at 2400 rpms tq is335 on the 92with the original corsa exhaustit made 393.2rwhp @6700rpms and361.9 rwqtq@5200rpms .300 wrtq@2500 rpms . i need to go to a dyno and retest them both with the current exhaust. but i think each of their hp levels have gone up 15 aprox buy the improvement in et and mph . the 90 went 116.70 with the flow master and with the dr gas , spin tech setup went 119.85 the 92 went 116.20 and with the current set up went 117.90mile an hr. what size x pipe do you think i out to try 21/2 in or 3 in then back into the 23/4 in pipe . the narrow xpipes from summit arent very expensive maybe i will get both to see what the power and sound levels are .being an old fella (58)i kinda would like the quietest exhaust i can get without loosing too much power . the 3 in dyno max super turbos flow 411 cfm each. i think the real hot setup would be to have that vacume operated valve on one of the tips like the new vets have . may have to see if i can find someone thats figured it out . the new b and b exhaust for the zr1 has that feature.the spin tech is a little drone at 2200 rpm cruize and pretty loud when you floor it . make the car sound a little like a ferarri so others say. opps sorry dont know how to spell italian
Posted on: 2010/10/29 13:30

Senior Guru
Lone Pine, CA
453 Posts

so ron when are you going to take that beast to the strip? YOU MIGHT NEED A ROLL BAR(11.50)IF YOU CAN GET HER TO HOOK .does she have a manual or a auto trans? glad to hear she is finally running
Posted on: 2010/10/29 13:38

rklessdriver Re: exhaust systems .....
Senior Guru
Woodbridge, VA
1318 Posts

I thought CORSA was just the greatest thing in the world. Dead quite at idle and part throttle cruise, nice sound at WOT... Then I built a real motor for my car...

Now it's just real loud. Not just loud either - All the time race car loud.

I got a couple of vid's on the forum here. First time I went to the track people were looking under the car... When I asked one of them what they were looking for, guy said "He thought them big old mufflers in the back were just for show, you know - not hooked up".

Personally I still like it but the rest of my neighbours - not so much.... Good thing I just bought a new house and we are moving in a few weeks.

My new next door neighbour has a real nice 66 427 roadster with side exhaust... I got a feeling we are gonna get along just fine.
Will
Posted on: 2010/10/29 20:46

1972 Corvette. LS5 454 BBC with M20 4 speed.
Best Pass - Doing good to just pass a gas station.

Elite Guru
1782 Posts

Quote:

jonszr1 wrote:
so ron when are you going to take that beast to the strip? YOU MIGHT NEED A ROLL BAR(11.50)IF YOU CAN GET HER TO HOOK .does she have a manual or a auto trans? glad to hear she is finally running

Stick. Im hoping I need a 4 point! Will put a driveshaft loop in it and head up once I get a few hundred miles on it.
Right now about 40, trans is out, pinion seal leaks, rear main leaks, etc. Fun chit. Be a few weeks before its back up again hopefully no issues after this for awhile. Runs good though.

Without a scattershield I wont be going too nuts but should get a ballpark of what it could run.
Posted on: 2010/10/29 21:03

Senior Guru
Lone Pine, CA
453 Posts

i could come down one day with my gtech. i use it at the strip all the time .it has a shift light and its the one you can download your runs on your computor once you get home has a ton of different graphs . can tell how much wheel spin yopu have off the line and gear changes . can even tell you if you are shifting at the right rpms.how long it takes you to shift.fun little machine it accurate to within a tenth and a 1/2 mile an hr . has helped me tons in dropping my ets at the strip . glad you at least got her up and runnin once you get the little stuff dialed in , your going to have that good old perma grin . i love firing up my old 68 mustang with that big old solid lifter cam in her . get goose bumps just thinkin about it . enjoy all your hard work pards
Posted on: 2010/10/29 23:00

Elite Guru
1782 Posts

KNow of a road outside Castaic lol.

Trans is finally out think the Dshaft is too long and moving things around fine out. hope it didnt affect the motor.

Rear main is leaky, pinion seal leaks rear seal on trans was just starting to leak. Crap.
Posted on: 2010/10/30 2:49

Registered Vendor
Tampa Bay Florida
827 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:
Quote:

Mekanic wrote:

+ 1 on the chambered cat back (LT1). Mine has zero drone at cruise (70).
Pretty loud everywhere else though. Does sound a bit like mt C2's sidepipes.

I really do love mine. I've just been trying to figure out a way to put an X pipe in it, as mine is just true duals, but with the chambered pipe I have no idea if you even could cut/weld on it

Posted on: 2010/10/30 22:06

Yea tho I walk through the valley in the shadow of rice, I shall fear no turbo, for torque art with me.

Senior Guru
Lone Pine, CA
453 Posts

sounds nice and nasty . does the exhaust sill have cats? and does the chambered setup have a balance tube .if not you could do 2of them actually 1 up front where the pipes merge close to go down the tunnel and another just before the pipes flair out to go to the mufflers. in 96 gm did this on the lt4(back tube)to help with cabin drone . ck hib halversons article on how to make 28 rwhp increase over the stk zr1 exhaust .
Posted on: 2010/10/30 23:14

Senior Guru
Lone Pine, CA
453 Posts

oh incase any one wondered . i drove 200 miles to go drag racing only to get rained out . bummer and driving on the freeway with drag radials is like you car trying to stay under control on an ice rink . i ended up in a mc donalds parking lot for 2 hrs reading waiting for the storm to pass . i figured one 360 on the free way was enough . i think i stained the seats .lol
Posted on: 2010/10/30 23:19

Elite Guru
1782 Posts

Stain pics?

Magnaflow makes a resonator that flows pretty well I think they also make an LT1 style muffler that is a straight through design yet looks stock. That oughta quiet it up a lot.
Posted on: 2010/10/31 0:26

iCorvette Re: exhaust systems .....
Senior Guru
302 Posts

Quote:

rklessdriver wrote:
I thought CORSA was just the greatest thing in the world. Dead quite at idle and part throttle cruise, nice sound at WOT... Then I built a real motor for my car...

Now it's just real loud. Not just loud either - All the time race car loud.

I got a couple of vid's on the forum here. First time I went to the track people were looking under the car... When I asked one of them what they were looking for, guy said "He thought them big old mufflers in the back were just for show, you know - not hooked up".

Personally I still like it but the rest of my neighbours - not so much.... Good thing I just bought a new house and we are moving in a few weeks.

My new next door neighbour has a real nice 66 427 roadster with side exhaust... I got a feeling we are gonna get along just fine.
Will

Same here had to sell the Corsa . it was ear splitting loud all the time...

thinking of something other than the stock ltx muffs, they don't make my car sound like I have the horses that I paid for, how about Dynomax 2.5 in and 2.5 out superturbo's offset offset in and out, cheap and should drone like hell...
Posted on: 2010/10/31 2:22

Senior Guru
Lone Pine, CA
453 Posts

on the pic .hehe dont think a pic of my levis would go over too well with the moderator.i have hardly any drone with the 3 in super turbos. i think that the 21/2 in super turbos would solve that.talked with hib today and he said the reason gm put in the second balance pipe (h pipe)was to smooth the exhaust note in the back of the car where the resonance was comming from . i understand wanting to hear those costly horses but what i find more satisfying . is for them to think my car being so quiet its an easy beat . then they see my bumper and their mind gets blown. plus there is the added benifit of the cops not turning around when they hear my car go by . the second balance tube sounds like something worth doing . i dont have any experience with what the single opening super turbos would sound like on our cars . since the 90-1 zr1s had 4 exhaust tips thats where i went because i wanted the sysem to look totally factory stk.
Posted on: 2010/10/31 3:52

Senior Guru
302 Posts

Quote:

jonszr1 wrote:
on the pic .hehe dont think a pic of my levis would go over too well with the moderator.i have hardly any drone with the 3 in super turbos. i think that the 21/2 in super turbos would solve that.talked with hib today and he said the reason gm put in the second balance pipe (h pipe)was to smooth the exhaust note in the back of the car where the resonance was comming from . i understand wanting to hear those costly horses but what i find more satisfying . is for them to think my car being so quiet its an easy beat . then they see my bumper and their mind gets blown. plus there is the added benifit of the cops not turning around when they hear my car go by . the second balance tube sounds like something worth doing . i dont have any experience with what the single opening super turbos would sound like on our cars . since the 90-1 zr1s had 4 exhaust tips thats where i went because i wanted the sysem to look totally factory stk.

Can you do paragraphs? would be easier to read, you say they make dual outlet super turbos for the ZR1?

I rather not be too quiet The LTx muffs are choking my car for sure 25- 30 horses? who knows.... I can feel it holding the revs back,

I realize I'd rather bark a little, and I mean a little than to bite....but with freeer flowing muffs, bites are gonna hurt big time.....
Posted on: 2010/10/31 3:57

BillH Re: exhaust systems .....
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

jonszr1 wrote:
sounds nice and nasty . does the exhaust sill have cats? and does the chambered setup have a balance tube .if not you could do 2of them actually 1 up front where the pipes merge close to go down the tunnel and another just before the pipes flair out to go to the mufflers. in 96 gm did this on the lt4(back tube)to help with cabin drone . ck hib halversons article on how to make 28 rwhp increase over the stk zr1 exhaust .

Mine keeps the cats.
Rich, mine has a H crossover.

The only way I can get it to drone in the upper gears is to drop below 65mph in 6th (like under 1500) but I drop to 5th there anyway. At 65 & up, no drone. and it's quiet enough for long trips.

I don't see anything specific for youe LT5 but there;s more sound clips at www.corvettecentral.com , hit the exhaust button then performance systems.

Attach file:

gif  c4cham.gif (0.00 KB)

Posted on: 2010/10/31 13:54

Weavsvet Re: exhaust systems .....
Senior Guru
446 Posts

I had Corsa once. On a stock car they are just great but once the mods began every mod makes them just a little louder. By the time I got to heads and cam I couldn't take the noise anymore. I ended up with the stock system and a X pipe. Sounds tame under normal driving but screams at WOT. I also installed some DMH cutouts under the pumpkin right at the bend in the exhaust pipe. If I want noise I push a button and it's there. The Corsa system flows great! I did lose a tad (Maybe 5)on rwhp by going back to the stock system. I've found by opening the cutouts about halfway gives the best performance. Good luck finding what you want.
Posted on: 2010/10/31 15:31
1996 Corvette Coupe,AFR 195 street Eliminators,Edelbrock LT4 Air Gap intake manifold,9.5" 2800 stall,TPIS LT headers,Bullet 226/230.565.565/111 lsa cam,1.7 Scorpion rr's,EWP, X Pipe, Stock Exhaust,Elec.Cutouts,Dana 44/3.45, Tune by Wester's Garage

Senior Guru
302 Posts

Quote:

Weavsvet wrote:
I had Corsa once. On a stock car they are just great but once the mods began every mod makes them just a little louder. By the time I got to heads and cam I couldn't take the noise anymore. I ended up with the stock system and a X pipe. Sounds tame under normal driving but screams at WOT. I also installed some DMH cutouts under the pumpkin right at the bend in the exhaust pipe. If I want noise I push a button and it's there. The Corsa system flows great! I did lose a tad (Maybe 5)on rwhp by going back to the stock system. I've found by opening the cutouts about halfway gives the best performance. Good luck finding what you want.

how did you know it only lost 5hp?
Posted on: 2010/10/31 17:20

Weavsvet Re: exhaust systems .....
Senior Guru
446 Posts

I have some dyno graphs floating around on CF. I should clarify though this was with cam and head and LTs. A stock motor probably would have more loss. Also, I've gone through a couple of tune adjustments since those pulls were made. It may not even be that much loss now.
Posted on: 2010/10/31 18:08
1996 Corvette Coupe,AFR 195 street Eliminators,Edelbrock LT4 Air Gap intake manifold,9.5" 2800 stall,TPIS LT headers,Bullet 226/230.565.565/111 lsa cam,1.7 Scorpion rr's,EWP, X Pipe, Stock Exhaust,Elec.Cutouts,Dana 44/3.45, Tune by Wester's Garage

Senior Guru
Lone Pine, CA
453 Posts

Quote:

iCorvette wrote:
Quote:

jonszr1 wrote:

Can you do paragraphs? would be easier to read, you say they make dual outlet super turbos for the ZR1?

I rather not be too quiet The LTx muffs are choking my car for sure 25- 30 horses? who knows.... I can feel it holding the revs back,

I realize I'd rather bark a little, and I mean a little than to bite....but with freeer flowing muffs, bites are gonna hurt big time.....
hi i am sorry its tough to read .but i am a computor rookie and i take forever to eve n type . so please bear with me .the super turbo muffler i bought were universal . i welded them on as well as the tips . you might ck your exhaust to see that it is centered in the tunnel and that you have a minimum of 10 mm of clearence between the rear end and the exhaust as well as the tips and the rear valance . if yours is bolted together you might also see if you can extend the tips out past the end of the valance a little more .one last thing that just came to mind. ck to seetheat where the exhaustis hanging on the hangers *(the 2 sets of springy things)that bolt to the exhaust on the way back if they springs dont have any tension on them that could be the sourse of reasonance in your car as then the exhaust is hanging bythe connections on the motor and the rear hangers. that can turn your exhaust into a tuning fork . reasonace is caused by vibration believe it or not . which is why gm put all that engineering into those hangers . believe me if they could have built the car without them they would have and over the course of the c4 build saved millions of dollars oh if your car is 92 or later you could get the super turbos that have a single outlet and weld the tip on to the new muffler
Posted on: 2010/10/31 19:03

Registered Vendor
Tampa Bay Florida
827 Posts

Quote:

jonszr1 wrote:

It does still have the cats, stock manifolds.

Mine looks exactly like pictured, but I believe mine is an earlier design that did not have the crossover.

I picked it up used a few years back used for $125.
Posted on: 2010/10/31 19:46

Re: exhaust systems .....
Guest_
Mods are a good question... but in general, I like the tone of the Corsa system. It truly quiets down the cabin resonance.

Also, another good option, on a stock Z at least, is the Borla. I have heard that on a ZR1 and it sounds tight.

Resized Image

(Edited by Matatk - non corvette links)
Posted on: 2010/11/2 3:47

Senior Guru
Lone Pine, CA
453 Posts

Quote:

Mekanic wrote:
Quote:

jonszr1 wrote:

It does still have the cats, stock manifolds.

Mine looks exactly like pictured, but I believe mine is an earlier design that did not have the crossover.

I picked it up used a few years back used for $125.
you could put a xpipe up at the front of the system where the pipe start to go down the tunnel .being that you have no crossover at all .its costing you about 10hp by not having one .on my system i am going to try a 21/2 xpipe and have it going into the 23/4 in pipe the rest of the way. there is a 2 day test and tune at famoso this weekend .so i will try some stuff on sat then come back home mess around with it and see what happens on sunday .
Posted on: 2010/11/2 15:12

Elite Guru
1782 Posts

Better to go larger pipe to smaller rather than the other way around. Think 3" systems are overrated on smallblocks on the street and they will be loud period. Even if it costs you 5 no more than 10 up top youll gain everywhere else where it matters. Mandel bends are a good thing. You have a short exaust system 2.5 should be fine. Sure LT5s like to breathe but bigger isnt always better , there is a cap.
Posted on: 2010/11/2 15:37

Jefferson City, MO
447 Posts

Quote:

cuisinartvette wrote:
Better to go larger pipe to smaller rather than the other way around. Think 3" systems are overrated on smallblocks on the street and they will be loud period. Even if it costs you 5 no more than 10 up top youll gain everywhere else where it matters. Mandel bends are a good thing. You have a short exaust system 2.5 should be fine. Sure LT5s like to breathe but bigger isnt always better , there is a cap.

I agree after seeing power numbers in post 16. I'd still go with 2 3/4 X though.

There definitely is a cap on size needed based on power output, however I do not agree that 3" systems are overrated on small blocks on the street. It's all a mater of air flow. Doesn't 700 hp from a small or big block "breath" about the same amount of air? It all comes down to how much power you are making and where in the RPM band. I do agree that many small blocks that have 3" do not need it, to the point of hurting performance.
Posted on: 2010/11/2 19:07

Elite Guru
1782 Posts

Agreed...wish I could find 2.75 pipe and bends to make my own system, kind of on the borderline of needing 3 but wanting 2.5 lol

Anyone have a source to buy pipe lengths and bends? Seems like an oddball size.
Posted on: 2010/11/3 0:21

Senior Guru
Lone Pine, CA
453 Posts

i read an article where the dyno max guys did an exhaust for a mustang 342 drag car. where they went from 3in collector. down to a 21/2 in expipe then out oof the xpipe went to 31/2 in for about 2 feet to the mufflers . test said they made the same power as open headers . kinda makes one one to try some stuff outside the nornmal thinkin . bbut as ron knows i have been chasing the exhaust majic box for 3 years . guess i find it fun to keep trying different things. i would like to have all the cash i have spent on exhaust systems . lets see current inventory . corsa , flowmaster , dr gas custom with spinteck mufflers (on the 90) borlas sq tips mufflers21/2in )stk 90 stk 92, and my minagery on the 92.and also have a custom randy wood 3 in stainless pipe that kinda looks like an xpipe except the opening between the pipe is about 10 in and squared. i was thinking about trying it but thought i might loose to much low end tq.whatc do you think about that center piece ron ????
Posted on: 2010/11/3 2:48

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.