Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
210 user(s) are online (120 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  TH400
Automatic Transmission - 3 Speed

1st Gear: 2.48
2nd Gear: 1.48
3rd Gear: 1.00

- Used in production GM models from 1964 thru 1990.
- 13 Bolt ...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

biggrizzly Suspension bushing replacement with engine out?
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

Is it easier or harder to remove and replace front suspension components with the engine and transmission out? Or does it not make any difference at all. I am considering doing an Energy Suspension Bushing overhaul while I'm waiting for motor and transmission to be done. I was just wondering if the weight of the engine has any affect when doing these changes. I didn't know if the spring tension would seem higher without the engine in place to put additional pressure on the spring. Maybe I'm brain-farting here, but just thinking out loud.
Posted on: 2010/11/15 14:03
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

tjpreul Re: Suspension bushing replacement with engine out?
Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
1103 Posts

The front spring is very stout. If you have the proper spring tool it won't make any difference. I used the weight of the engine to do mine, so I don't know they would compress without the engine in.
Posted on: 2010/11/15 14:32

'92 auto, MSD, Banski, Taylor wires, SS lines, C5 rims, 3.07 gears, white gauges, seats from a '96.

Motor: Forged rotating assy, Probe pistons, CC valvetrain, AFR heads, Procharger P1SC

BillH Re: Suspension bushing replacement with engine out?
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

I'll bet a dollar that with the engine out, you'll just jack the car off the ground.

I've done springs using a chain around the jack, but it's a bit dicey.
Posted on: 2010/11/15 14:39

biggrizzly Re: Suspension bushing replacement with engine out?
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:
I'll bet a dollar that with the engine out, you'll just jack the car off the ground.

I've done springs using a chain around the jack, but it's a bit dicey.

I was afraid of that! How do you tell if you need new bushings if they appear ok. They might be hard as rocks. Is that ok? Factory bushings in a car with 157k miles. They got to be getting bad.
Posted on: 2010/11/15 14:48

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

biggrizzly wrote:
I was afraid of that! How do you tell if you need new bushings if they appear ok. They might be hard as rocks. Is that ok? Factory bushings in a car with 157k miles. They got to be getting bad.

"They got to be getting bad", yea, pretty much especially if you're going to autox.

You can do the normal checks, jack one tire off the ground, grasp the tire at 9 & 3 to check tierods/steering, at 12 & 6 to check bushings. You'll need someone to help.

With the tire a coulpe of inches off the ground, put a crowbar/2x4 under it and lift up, look for movement in the a-arms and especially the ball joints (how old are they?).
Posted on: 2010/11/15 15:08

bogus Re: Suspension bushing replacement with engine out?
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

You know, at 157k, if you have replaced none of those parts, I would consider doing a full front end refresh.

New ball joints, new bushings, new rack, new tierod ends, new PS hoses... Just do it and it will be done. It's not an expensive fix, just time consuming.

As for the rear, I always will recommend the Banski kit. That thing has redefined the feel of my 92. Love it.
Posted on: 2010/11/15 17:11

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

iCorvette Re: Suspension bushing replacement with engine out?
Senior Guru
302 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
You know, at 157k, if you have replaced none of those parts, I would consider doing a full front end refresh.

New ball joints, new bushings, new rack, new tierod ends, new PS hoses... Just do it and it will be done. It's not an expensive fix, just time consuming.

As for the rear, I always will recommend the Banski kit. That thing has redefined the feel of my 92. Love it.

I know you endorse Banski, and they are a sponsor, however along those lines, any comparable "system" work yield the same results Da ele net?

they are not the only game in town, they just made it better, and these struts have been around since the dawn of man?
Posted on: 2010/11/16 6:04

CentralCoaster Re: Suspension bushing replacement with engine out?
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Yeah, there's other rod end kits out there. The unique part of the banskis is you don't need a huge fucking crescent wrench to mess with jam nuts for adjusting them. Those are hard to fish in there without pulling the wheel.

Honestly though I don't adjust my suspension anyways. But hey, I can with just a 1/4" box wrench.
Posted on: 2010/11/16 8:00

Senior Guru
302 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
Yeah, there's other rod end kits out there. The unique part of the banskis is you don't need a huge fucking crescent wrench to mess with jam nuts for adjusting them. Those are hard to fish in there without pulling the wheel.

Honestly though I don't adjust my suspension anyways. But hey, I can with just a 1/4" box wrench.

jumping into harbor fright, I notice alot of "innovative, looking" tools, sears tend to be cutting edge with their tool engineering, but while at the harbor fright, perhaps they have a big wrench for the job with the right angles as to not remove tire.

another thing I noticed with VBP is they have Zerk fittings, this alone can flush out water and rust and maintain the ends better than without.
Posted on: 2010/11/16 19:11

rayquayle Re: Suspension bushing replacement with engine out?
Senior Guru
139 Posts

Don, That's what I'm doing:
Resized Image
Posted on: 2010/11/16 22:38
NCM Founder #2896
NCM Lifetime #672
Graduate of Gordon's School

1Fast04Vert Re: Suspension bushing replacement with engine out?
Elite Guru
The hills of N. Georgia
2424 Posts

Don, even if you leave it alone you should pull out the lower rear A arm bolts and turn them around. From the factory the bolts are in so that you have to pull the motor mount brace to get them out. Now is the time to pull the brace, take the bolts out and then re-insert them from the front. That way if you ever have to do it later it is a whole lot easier.
Posted on: 2010/11/16 22:42

astock165 Re: Suspension bushing replacement with engine out?
Registered Vendor
Manchester NH
199 Posts

Quote:

iCorvette wrote:
another thing I noticed with VBP is they have Zerk fittings, this alone can flush out water and rust and maintain the ends better than without.

True, an un-lined rod end with a zerk fitting is better than an un-lined rod end without a zerk fitting.

However, the rod ends we use are Teflon lined and have been quite robust. Adding a rod end boot (like the ones from Seals It) will make them zero maintenance for some time.
Posted on: 2010/11/17 3:02
www.banskimotorsports.com

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

astock165 wrote:
True, an un-lined rod end with a zerk fitting is better than an un-lined rod end without a zerk fitting.

However, the rod ends we use are Teflon lined and have been quite robust. Adding a rod end boot (like the ones from Seals It) will make them zero maintenance for some time.

Yep.

That what we use on racecars (without the Seals It) and they still last a very long time.
Posted on: 2010/11/17 3:07

CentralCoaster Re: Suspension bushing replacement with engine out?
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

I must be the exception then. I'll be picking up a pair of those boots to hold some grease in there.
Posted on: 2010/11/17 6:29

Senior Guru
302 Posts

the race track is alot cleaner than the street, and why don't you throw them in your kits and label it complete or at least offer them on your site will set you apart even further from the pack, this way, a buyer not doing full due diligence NOW can be duly notified what the optimum preventive maintenance, configuration will be and not regret have not done it right in the first place.

This would be a serious mind F***, to discover seal-it after the fact, for all those anal retentive Vette owners, such as myself.
Posted on: 2010/11/17 9:36

Registered Vendor
Manchester NH
199 Posts

Quote:

iCorvette wrote:
the race track is alot cleaner than the street, and why don't you throw them in your kits and label it complete or at least offer them on your site will set you apart even further from the pack, this way, a buyer not doing full due diligence NOW can be duly notified what the optimum preventive maintenance, configuration will be and not regret have not done it right in the first place.

In the past I've never found them necessary but my car is a track only car so I can certainly see how some people might want to use them.

That's actually not a bad idea. I'm going to work on that.
Posted on: 2010/11/17 23:52

Registered Vendor
Manchester NH
199 Posts

I'm happy to announce that we are now an authorized distributor of the entire Seals-It product line!

This means that we are now offering our C4 rear suspension kits with the rod end boots you'll need for added protection and near zero maintenance.

In addition, we are offering boot only kits for those of you have already purchased our suspension kit(s) and might want to add them.

We'll be integrating the entire Seals-It product line into our online store in the coming weeks and months.

Posted on: 2010/11/28 0:53

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I will be in touch!!!!
Posted on: 2010/11/28 3:15

Senior Guru
139 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
I will be in touch!!!!

Me too! I'll be in touch, Tom.
Posted on: 2010/11/28 17:26
NCM Founder #2896
NCM Lifetime #672

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quote:

iCorvette wrote:
Quote:

bogus wrote:

I know you endorse Banski, and they are a sponsor, however along those lines, any comparable "system" work yield the same results Da ele net?

they are not the only game in town, they just made it better, and these struts have been around since the dawn of man?

I don't praise Banksi because of their status. First off, they are not a sponsor, they are a Registered Vendor. RV status simply allows a vendor to share their wares without being accused of being a spammer! And it's free.

I come to my feelings about the Banski kit by actual use. I did a story on the install in Corvette Enthusiast recently, and have been driving on the Banski kit for 14 months now. It has been absolutely reliable and durable. I have put about 3000 miles on the kit, but the roads around here really do suck.

If you have the CE article, I would read that... you will get the entire reasoning behind it and the install process.
Posted on: 2010/11/28 18:36

Senior Guru
139 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
I did a story on the install in Corvette Enthusiast recently, and have been driving on the Banski kit for 14 months now. It has been absolutely reliable and durable. I have put about 3000 miles on the kit, but the roads around here really do suck.

If you have the CE article, I would read that... you will get the entire reasoning behind it and the install process.

Great article too Andy! I get it in hard copy, but in case any of you don't it is available on line here.
Posted on: 2010/11/28 20:03
NCM Founder #2896
NCM Lifetime #672

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Oh, cool, it's still online!

Thanks Ray!
Posted on: 2010/11/28 20:14

Senior Guru
302 Posts

Quote:

astock165 wrote:

I'm happy to announce that we are now an authorized distributor of the entire Seals-It product line!

This means that we are now offering our C4 rear suspension kits with the rod end boots you'll need for added protection and near zero maintenance.

In addition, we are offering boot only kits for those of you have already purchased our suspension kit(s) and might want to add them.

We'll be integrating the entire Seals-It product line into our online store in the coming weeks and months.

wow.... you made the phone call, nothing like a symbiotic relationship, I feel you are a good company.
Posted on: 2010/12/6 6:09

Z51L9889 Re: Suspension bushing replacement with engine out?
Guru Newb
Dayton, OH
18 Posts

Quote:

tjpreul wrote:
The front spring is very stout. If you have the proper spring tool it won't make any difference. I used the weight of the engine to do mine, so I don't know they would compress without the engine in.

I read on one of the other forums some time ago about how someone figured out how to compress the front spring with the engine out of the car. He took a flat plate and drilled it to match the hole pattern for the lower shock mount. He then took a long piece of threaded rod and bent one end of it so that the bend angle matched the angle between the front shock body and the lower mount. He welded the bent piece to the flat plate, stuck the rod through the hole in the shock tower, and bolted the plate to the lower control arm. He then simply ran a nut down against the shock tower and pulled the control arm up to the right position to reconnect the knuckle.

Hope this helps ....
Posted on: 2011/1/3 21:58

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.