Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
288 user(s) are online (240 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  SuperRam Intake System
Originally designed by John Lingenfelter at LPE and manufactured by Accell, the SuperRam was the 1st aftermarket intake to improve upon the stock lon...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

bam burning oil after hot cam install
Senior Guru
missouri
250 Posts

Most of you have seen my hot cam install, now about 2 weeks after the install and still working on my tune (the car runs great)it is burning serious oil. When you start it and let it idle it really smokes, white/grey smoke. Has anyone else had this problem? I put in new valve seals, could they be installed wrong? I removed the pvc line and smoke pours out of it. This is a bummer. Any thoughts? Thanks
Posted on: 2011/4/27 22:47
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

bogus Re: burning oil after hot cam install
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

wow. Short of misinstalled valve seals... I am not sure what else could cause it.
Posted on: 2011/4/27 23:30

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Vetron87 Re: burning oil after hot cam install
Elite Guru
Granger, Indiana
1988 Posts

Quote:

bam wrote:
Most of you have seen my hot cam install, now about 2 weeks after the install and still working on my tune (the car runs great)it is burning serious oil. When you start it and let it idle it really smokes, white/grey smoke. Has anyone else had this problem? I put in new valve seals, could they be installed wrong? I removed the pvc line and smoke pours out of it. This is a bummer. Any thoughts? Thanks

White smoke is not good! did you have the heads off? If so maybe the heads are not torqued in sequence, Valve guide seals?
Posted on: 2011/4/28 0:34

pianoguy Re: burning oil after hot cam install
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Agreed, white smoke usually either indicates a new pope or bad news for your engine. Does the oil look OK?
Posted on: 2011/4/28 0:41

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

smooth Re: burning oil after hot cam install
Senior Guru
Formerly "Aquavet" in Pa.
386 Posts

Head gasket failed? I agree with Brad......whats the oil look like? Muddy Milkshake is bad! Did that one on an old chevy p/u......not good.

Best of luck
alan
Posted on: 2011/4/28 1:57

bam Re: burning oil after hot cam install
Senior Guru
missouri
250 Posts

Oil on dipstick is clear. I did notice my oil pressure is about 5-10lb higher now until it warms up, about 70 when cold, used to be 60? The motor runs really nice, it's hard to believe that the head gasket could be blown. I didn't remove the heads. I will remove all the plugs tomorrow and see how they look, may be one or two will be very dirty and give me a clue about weather I messed up a valve seal or two.
Posted on: 2011/4/28 2:41

Matatk Re: burning oil after hot cam install
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

If it didn't smoke before, always go back to the most recent job. Does it smoke a little after start up then pretty much goes away? Indicative of oil traveling down the valve stem to the cylinder. Hence, valve seals.

I don't know what type you used or how you installed them, but I've heard of the umbrella style seals sliding up. Ask Joe (Flyboy) about that.

http://www.corvette-guru.com/modules/ ... id=110521#forumpost110521

Matthew
Posted on: 2011/4/28 2:49

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Posted on: 2011/4/28 2:54

Senior Guru
missouri
250 Posts

I used these;http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FEL ... odel|CORVETTE&prefilter=1
The smoke is there at start up and never goes away until you shut the motor off.
Posted on: 2011/4/28 3:35

flyboy Re: burning oil after hot cam install
Elite Guru
Westmont, Il.
2632 Posts

I hope your problem isn't serious. Yeah, I switched to positive seals on the exhaust valves then went back to umbrellas after a valve job. I was concerned that the exhaust valve might not get enough oil with the positive seal, if that makes any sense. The exhaust valve does get hotter, doesn't it? FWIW, my mechanic said that the umbrella seal riding up on the vale is not a concern.
If those are the stock valves, did they have that extra groove and O-ring on them along with the seal? I left those O-rings off when I did the Hotcam because I determined that the extra lift would cause the O-ring to hit the positive/umbrella seal. I'll see if I can find a picture.
Posted on: 2011/4/28 3:36

Steve40th Re: burning oil after hot cam install
Elite Guru
1114 Posts

I say your valve seals are installed wrong. take a valve cover off and see if any are not all the way down on the head. If they werent installed correctly, they will back off the head and ride the valve and allow oil into the chamber.
Just did a motor a couple weeks ago and forgot to push/tap them(valve stem seals) on the head during spring change.
Posted on: 2011/4/28 3:53

Elite Guru
Westmont, Il.
2632 Posts

This is all guess work here but the stock retainer is on the left in the pic. The "0-ring thingy" is next to it. The new Comp retainer is on the right, much shorter giving me that much more clearance between the seal/retainer with the greater .525" lift (hotcam/1.6 rockers).
Did you use the stock retainers? Could they have hit and damaged the seals?

Attach file:

jpg  retainers old +new.JPG (123.86 KB)
1735_4db8e73da4919.jpg 640X480 px
Posted on: 2011/4/28 4:06

Senior Guru
missouri
250 Posts

I used new LT4 stock retainers, don't remember any o-ring. I also did not "tap" the seals on just pushed firmly with a deep well socket, is that typically not enough?
Posted on: 2011/4/28 13:06

Elite Guru
1114 Posts

Quote:

bam wrote:
I used new LT4 stock retainers, don't remember any o-ring. I also did not "tap" the seals on just pushed firmly with a deep well socket, is that typically not enough?

I always have my heads done and use the aftermarket style. I am not sure, sorry about that, if the factory ones need to be tapped on or not.
Posted on: 2011/4/28 13:08

Elite Guru
Westmont, Il.
2632 Posts

Quote:

bam wrote:

That's what I did.
Is there any other way for oil to get in the combustion chamber? Through the intake gasket maybe? How's your vacuum?
Posted on: 2011/4/28 14:06

Senior Guru
missouri
250 Posts

Quote:

flyboy wrote:
Quote:

bam wrote:

That's what I did.
Is there any other way for oil to get in the combustion chamber? Through the intake gasket maybe? How's your vacuum?

Good idea, yes it can sure come in around the intake gasket. I'll check the vac. later on today. I have re torqued the intake bolts twice now, they are good.
Posted on: 2011/4/28 15:28

sliding Re: burning oil after hot cam install
Senior Guru
Zagreb, Croatia
326 Posts

But if there's also smoke from pcv hose on the valve cover, like you stated in your first post, than it's not only the seals problem!
Posted on: 2011/4/28 16:08

Senior Guru
missouri
250 Posts

Quote:

sliding wrote:
But if there's also smoke from pcv hose on the valve cover, like you stated in your first post, than it's not only the seals problem!

Tell me what you are thinking then? Rings? The car has never burned a drop of oil until now.
Posted on: 2011/4/28 18:39

Senior Guru
Zagreb, Croatia
326 Posts

How good is your tune actually. I had big problems when I
first started my new engine, with a rather big cam.
I had way too much fuel at idle and it also smoked but
more blueish. Engine was running good, throttle response was
good, but too much fuel was washing cylinder walls and
burning oil.

As soon as I sorted that out, all smoking has gone.

But that still wouldn't explain smoking from pcv.

I would also suspect leak on intake manifold gaskets.

EDIT: what's the mileage on your motor?
Did it smoke on pcv before cam job? Maybe it did but
you haven't noticed.

In that case you probably have only seals or intake gasket
problem.
Posted on: 2011/4/28 18:45

Senior Guru
missouri
250 Posts

Ok I found at least part of the problem (hopefully this is all of it) I have at least 3 destroyed valve seals that I can see. I also have 2 that I can see that are up off the valve seat. Can someone give me the proper way to seat the seal on the valve boss? I simply pressed them on with a deep well socket, apparently that is not enough.
Sliding; If my car smoked (ha ha) before I didn't see it and it wasn't much because it uses very little oil. I have no way of knowing about my tune if it runs rich or not, how would one tell, especially with all the smoke? 100,000 miles
Posted on: 2011/4/29 1:13

Elite Guru
1114 Posts

Quote:

bam wrote:
Ok I found at least part of the problem (hopefully this is all of it) I have at least 3 destroyed valve seals that I can see. I also have 2 that I can see that are up off the valve seat. Can someone give me the proper way to seat the seal on the valve boss? I simply pressed them on with a deep well socket, apparently that is not enough.
Sliding; If my car smoked (ha ha) before I didn't see it and it wasn't much because it uses very little oil. I have no way of knowing about my tune if it runs rich or not, how would one tell, especially with all the smoke? 100,000 miles

There are many guides on how to install them. But I am pretty sure you need to tap them on. Not positive. Hopefully one of the heavy engine builders will post. I am on vacation and dont have any books with me. Sorry
Posted on: 2011/4/29 2:04

76Nordic Re: burning oil after hot cam install
Dumbass
Brea, CA
239 Posts

Tapping them on works fine, but also make sure you have some oil on the valve stem, above and below, assembly lube is even better. Just my .02
Posted on: 2011/4/29 2:33

Senior Guru
Zagreb, Croatia
326 Posts

While you have everything apart, make sure that you have enough clearance between the top of the installed seal and the bottom of the retainer!
Posted on: 2011/4/29 9:00

Senior Guru
missouri
250 Posts

Does anyone know what "normal" manifold vacuum is with the hot cam? I am running 12-14 and I am thinking I have a vacuum leak at the manifold, probably where the manifold seals against the heads. I fixed the 3 bad valve seals and still am getting lots of oil smoke.
Posted on: 2011/4/30 2:54

Elite Guru
Westmont, Il.
2632 Posts

15# steady vacuum at idle, 18# at 2000rpm with the hotcam on mine.
Posted on: 2011/5/2 0:59

Senior Guru
missouri
250 Posts

Thanks FB mine is a little low, if it's not the intake manifold I'm not sure what is causing the oil consuption. It'a hard to think it's rings with only 100,000mi and not useing any before. Hopefully I can get the intake back off in the next couple of days and see what is going on.
Posted on: 2011/5/2 13:12

Elite Guru
Westmont, Il.
2632 Posts

My hotcam is installed 4* advanced which could account for a slightly higher vacuum reading at idle. You did double check all the little things? I remember once I did not tighten the brake booster coupling at the plenum all the way and was loosing vacuum.
Posted on: 2011/5/2 13:27

Senior Guru
missouri
250 Posts

I finally pulled the intake off. There is gobs of oil all around the intake ports both above the gasket and below. It must not of sealed at all. No wonder I had low vacuum, rough idle and lots of oil smoke. It appears that my intake is warped, I laid a straight edge along the intake where it meets the heads and both sides are warped, shaped like a "C" with the highest point right in the middle. My friend who owns the machine shop here in town says he never trusts an aluminum intake after it is removed (yes I followed the FSM torque sequence to the letter and re torqued 3 times after initial). Hopefully this will fix the problem. He is going to resurface the area where it contacts the head, I also think I will try different gaskets, any recommendations? I used stock LT1 felpro's.
Posted on: 2011/5/8 2:45

Elite Guru
1114 Posts

I am getting ready to pull my LT1 intake off too as one cylinder is running rich or its oil. I am having one side BLMs pull fuel, and I read where aboatguy had an intake leak and it was causing a blm split. I cant understand how the intake leaks oil into the heads so easily.
PS, you got pics of the gasket and oil
Posted on: 2011/5/8 3:14

bogus Re: burning oil after hot cam install
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I can't figure out how an intake warps that badly. I have to admit, that's a new one on me.

Put it on a mill and flatten it out. Hopefully, it isn't too far gone to be too small to fit back in the V. If it is, you might be able to RTV 2 intake gaskets together and build up the missing mass... but that's a hack job at best. Used LT1 intakes are not that hard to come by, and if you want a minor performance increase, you can always get the Edelbrock Airgap for the LT1.

It also makes me wonder what prior work may have done this... meaning, prior to you.

I am glad you found it...

Have you ported the intake to match the heads? If not, I would now! I don't remember the gasket # to use, but for some reason, I don't think it's the stock one.
Posted on: 2011/5/8 4:26

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Sucks about the intake but glad you found the issue! It should fit fine after milling it slightly. I like felpro gaskets and would use those again if I were you.

Matthew
Posted on: 2011/5/8 11:38

Senior Guru
missouri
250 Posts

Just got back from vacation - nice! Should be able to check on the intake tomorrow (Sat) to see how off it was and how the milling went. I only have a 12" straight edge but I could see light under it right in the middle of the intake on both sides. Hope this fixes the problem. There was a thread somewhere about split BLM's and intake leaks, will try to find it. Thanks for the comments.
Posted on: 2011/5/14 0:20

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.