Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
298 user(s) are online (261 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Offset
The distance from the wheel mounting flange to the imaginary centerline of the wheel. Wheels with negative offset will protrude outwards more, while...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

bjz Who, what, when, where ecu tuning?
Guru
61 Posts

I am looking to get my 88 c4 computer chip tuned reprogrammed, flashed or whatever it is. Suggestions on who what when and where please? Only thing I have done or need done really is egr deleted from ecu so I dont get a code. Well anything else? Thanks.
Posted on: 2011/7/1 3:53
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

JrRifleCoach Re: Who, what, when, where ecu tuning?
Elite Guru
1524 Posts

PCMforLess.

You'll need to dump and save the data stream off the ECM. Then email the file/s and your current bin. They'll send you back a converted bin. Upload this into your ECM and make some more data runs.

Yes I make this sound very easy and it is once you have the cables, software, and EPROM configured.

My 86 was a f'n nightmare of experiments and discarded equipment until I got it right. Then the process was a slam dunk.
Posted on: 2011/7/1 5:24
As democracy is perfected, the POTUS represents more closely the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day, the folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be occupied by a fool and narcissistic moron.

PeteK Re: Who, what, when, where ecu tuning?
Nanticoke, Pa
1311 Posts

Make sure that the tuner you use requires you to datalog.
Without data, they will be tossing a tune up, and hoping it works.
On my 406 combo, I am using forum member mseven.
He requires I datalog a certain way, then e-mail him the file. He reviews, and makes tweaks. This is repeated as many times as nescessary to get tune as close to perfect as possible.
Posted on: 2011/7/1 12:16

JrRifleCoach Re: Who, what, when, where ecu tuning?
Elite Guru
1524 Posts

Need to lookup mseven

Thanks
Posted on: 2011/7/1 23:13
As democracy is perfected, the POTUS represents more closely the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day, the folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be occupied by a fool and narcissistic moron.

bjz Re: Who, what, when, where ecu tuning?
Guru
61 Posts

awesome thanks. How much do the cables and etc cost??
Posted on: 2011/7/2 4:43

Matatk Re: Who, what, when, where ecu tuning?
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

For basic stuff you'll need a laptop, a cable, and tuning software. The laptop is up to you. The cable and software can be purchased at moates.net. I don't recall offhand but I think the cable is around $60 and the software (depending on what you get) is around $100. But if you're only doing a few datalogs, download the TTS datamaster and use the 20 free trial uses.

Matthew
Posted on: 2011/7/2 11:25

joshwilson3 Re: Who, what, when, where ecu tuning?
Guru
56 Posts

Quote:

PeteK wrote:
Make sure that the tuner you use requires you to datalog.
Without data, they will be tossing a tune up, and hoping it works.
On my 406 combo, I am using forum member mseven.
He requires I datalog a certain way, then e-mail him the file. He reviews, and makes tweaks. This is repeated as many times as nescessary to get tune as close to perfect as possible.

I'm going to see about him tuning my 89 since it is running lean with the Bosch III injectors.

Do you have any problem when running scans with the data stop flowing? On my 89, when I run scans, the data quits flowing often. Sometimes I get 2 miles down the road, and the data stops. So, I have to restart Tunerpro RT and restart the car. Which is a pain.

The guys at Tunerpro RT said the problem was with the computer model that was in the car. As they said that particular computer is known to do that for no apparent reason.
Posted on: 2011/7/16 2:40

JeffK Re: Who, what, when, where ecu tuning?
Elite Guru
High Point, NC
1440 Posts

I use TTS datamaster and had the same problem where it would kick on and off recording. There was a disable CCM handshake option and once I turned that off it worked like a champ. Mine's a 90, not sure if your 89 has a CCM though.

Mick is great to work with. He got mine running great with the Bosch III's and they were a lot quiter.
Posted on: 2011/7/18 19:02

SpectatorRacing Re: Who, what, when, where ecu tuning?
Elite Guru
1721 Posts

Talk to Mick (mseven). In fact, he's tuning a friend's car tomorrow. We don't have the tune yet, but so far he's spent about 2 hours on the phone with me and I can't think of anyone I've met so far who has as much C4 knowledge as he does. Looking forward to meeting him in person tomorrow.

I have a PCMforless tune in my car now, and while I've been happy with it, after talking with Mick I'm pretty sure it'll run better after he gets his hands on it.

Plus, he's a Guru.
Posted on: 2011/7/18 22:08

Guru
56 Posts

Quote:

JeffK wrote:
I use TTS datamaster and had the same problem where it would kick on and off recording. There was a disable CCM handshake option and once I turned that off it worked like a champ. Mine's a 90, not sure if your 89 has a CCM though.

Mick is great to work with. He got mine running great with the Bosch III's and they were a lot quiter.

Mine has a different computer. The computer is 1227165 and I believe was in the 86-89 Vettes.

Is that "disable CCM handshake" option in the TTS Datamaster?

I do know in order to connect, that I have to have the 10k resistor on. Then after it connects, I turn the 10k resisitor off. As I've read having the 10k resistor there causes some changes i.e. idle speed, etc. Which I'd guess could affect some readings on the datalog.
Posted on: 2011/7/19 0:49

Guru
56 Posts

Quote:

SpectatorRacing wrote:
Talk to Mick (mseven). In fact, he's tuning a friend's car tomorrow. We don't have the tune yet, but so far he's spent about 2 hours on the phone with me and I can't think of anyone I've met so far who has as much C4 knowledge as he does. Looking forward to meeting him in person tomorrow.

I have a PCMforless tune in my car now, and while I've been happy with it, after talking with Mick I'm pretty sure it'll run better after he gets his hands on it.

Plus, he's a Guru.

I plan on having him tune my 89.

What is the best way. Mail chips back and forth. Or just buy the burner and download the new chip info through e-mail?

Oh, and are you able to save your factory chip incase you need to put it back in at a later date?
Posted on: 2011/7/19 0:52

mseven Re: Who, what, when, where ecu tuning?
Senior Guru
Motor City Madhouse
247 Posts

Thanks everyone for the kind words, it is appreciatted.
I will be out on the west side tonight working with Jon /SpectatorRacing on one of his projects. I look forward to meeting him and getting his project dialed....should be fun.
Posted on: 2011/7/19 12:52

JeffK Re: Who, what, when, where ecu tuning?
Elite Guru
High Point, NC
1440 Posts

Quote:

joshwilson3 wrote:

I plan on having him tune my 89.

What is the best way. Mail chips back and forth. Or just buy the burner and download the new chip info through e-mail?

Oh, and are you able to save your factory chip incase you need to put it back in at a later date?

That really depends on how rushed you are. If you want to wait for the postman to bring you the chip then it's ok to do it that way. I started out doing it that way but it's so much easier to just spend the $80 and get the burner.

You need to buy the eprom adater to put the tuned chips in your ECM so if you were to decide to put it back to stock you would simply remove the adapter and rock on.

Oh, the disable CCM handshake is in the TTS program. I downloaded RT pro but didn't have much luck with it. I think Datamaster is a much more user friendly.
Posted on: 2011/7/19 14:13

Guru
56 Posts

Quote:

JeffK wrote:

That really depends on how rushed you are. If you want to wait for the postman to bring you the chip then it's ok to do it that way. I started out doing it that way but it's so much easier to just spend the $80 and get the burner.

You need to buy the eprom adater to put the tuned chips in your ECM so if you were to decide to put it back to stock you would simply remove the adapter and rock on.

Oh, the disable CCM handshake is in the TTS program. I downloaded RT pro but didn't have much luck with it. I think Datamaster is a much more user friendly.

Yeah, I figured it best to get a chip burner as you'd end up spending alot on postage anyways.

I was also looking at the GP1 kit:

http://www.moates.net/gp1-package-gm- ... er-with-2-chips-p-41.html
Posted on: 2011/7/19 19:34

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.