Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
229 user(s) are online (165 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Vertte
Shorthand notation for Corvette Convertible. See also vert and vette...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

TommyT-Bone Home Owners Associations ..... [PR&C]
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

I avoid them like a plague. I had a taste in the early 80's. That was more than enough for me. It's a point to consider when buying a home.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Neighbo ... s-apf-2524543580.html?x=0
Posted on: 2011/7/12 18:17
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

BillH Re: Home Owners Associations ..... [PR&C]
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Big B, Nancy & harry love em. But, they also think they should get a cut of the association fees.

Kudos to the stupid F's that bought a place with a HOA.

In Nevada, the FBI is investigating corrupt elections of the boards.
Posted on: 2011/7/12 18:45

pianoguy Re: Home Owners Associations ..... [PR&C]
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

No thanks, couldn't imagine buying a place with a HOA.
Posted on: 2011/7/12 19:37

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

tjpreul Re: Home Owners Associations ..... [PR&C]
Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
1103 Posts

My first home was a condo. The HOA fees weren't too bad ($140/mo). The price per square foot was great, especially for a first time homebuyer. I added up the cost of was what covered. Water, garbage, exterior repairs, lawncare, snow removal and the difference in my insurance fees.

Then I met the neighbors that asked why I was putting up a new light with my own money. Mending my own fence, or fixing the gutter that fell off. "Just call the association". Yes they were running out of money, and having "special assessment fees". They wanted to raise the HOA fees on top of the assessment fees, but there were several that woulndn't pay if they were short that month. The board said the home values would drop if they weren't raised. I told them the values would drop if they did because a high association fee turns buyers away.

They were nice places, and we did make money on ours. However I will not be buying another.
Posted on: 2011/7/12 20:18

'92 auto, MSD, Banski, Taylor wires, SS lines, C5 rims, 3.07 gears, white gauges, seats from a '96.

Motor: Forged rotating assy, Probe pistons, CC valvetrain, AFR heads, Procharger P1SC

Matatk Re: Home Owners Associations ..... [PR&C]
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

I hate HOAs. I refused to buy a house in a neighborhood with one, and found one of the only neighborhoods in my town without one. Turns out to be the nicest neighborhood in town, too, so I think we did ok.

Matthew
Posted on: 2011/7/12 20:38

SpectatorRacing Re: Home Owners Associations ..... [PR&C]
Elite Guru
1721 Posts

Mine is around $200 a year. I'm not exactly sure what they do with that money, but we do have a pool and clubhouse area that I've never entered in 8 years. I think they do a lot of stuff for the kids, I do a lot of stuff to avoid the kids.

But at the end of the day, 54 cents a day is negligible.
Posted on: 2011/7/12 20:49

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

My beef is not the cost (well it is that, too) but them telling me what color to paint my door or what type of flowers I can plant, or if my lawn is .5 inches too long.

Matthew
Posted on: 2011/7/12 20:56

Steve40th Re: Home Owners Associations ..... [PR&C]
Elite Guru
1114 Posts

Two different homes, and both have/had HOAs. In Hawaii, I was given a 100 dollar fine for having a couch in the garage (HOA neglected to come to the door and ask why), with the garage door open. I was cleaning the house while laying flooring. Kind of hard to lay flooring with furniture in there. Did not pay fine.
Fined me another 100 bucks for having a Junior basketball hoop in our driveway. F' them, put it out in our very large backyard (4' wide by 25').
HOA in SC fined me 100 and 20 per day for not paying fine, for having a car parked in front of my house after 10pm. WTF. And they said it was my second offense. Well, it wasnt my car, and the first offense was for the previous owner, which is where the notice of the fine went, to another city which the previous owner graciously sent it to me. I didnt pay that fine.
HOA's can kiss my butt. Not a fan.
Posted on: 2011/7/12 21:33

TommyT-Bone Re: Home Owners Associations ..... [PR&C]
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

HOA's are notorious for placing liens on property for unpaid fines or fees. Hey Big Brother. Say NO to HOAs. Buy elsewhere whenever possible. IMO
Posted on: 2011/7/12 22:06

Ultraman Re: Home Owners Associations ..... [PR&C]
2015 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Huskerland
14750 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:
I hate HO's. I refused to buy a house in a neighborhood with one, and found one of the only neighborhoods in my town without one. Turns out to be the nicest neighborhood in town, too, so I think we did ok.

Matthew

Fixed it for ya.......
Posted on: 2011/7/12 22:13

Vote DeSantis in 2024.... Make the IRS go away...

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Quote:

Ultraman wrote:
Quote:

Matatk wrote:
I hate HO's. I refused to buy a house in a neighborhood with one, and found one of the only neighborhoods in my town without one. Turns out to be the nicest neighborhood in town, too, so I think we did ok.

Matthew

Fixed it for ya.......

Posted on: 2011/7/12 22:18

biggrizzly Re: Home Owners Associations ..... [PR&C]
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

A few years back, before buying the home we currently live in, we were renting a home in a HOA community. I had bought a very nice outdoor shed that matched the color of our siding and was actually just smaller than the allowed 10X8 shed. I think mine is 11X7 or something like that. I was told that I had to develop a plot layout where it would be positioned on my lot, the colors and a sample of my exterior siding etc. So I neatly and completely complied with their requirements. At the next HOA meeting they turned me down because my shed was not specifically 10X8. Even though the footprint was actually smaller. So.. I became neighborhood enemy no. 1 because I snuck around and photographed everyone else's ugly, non-complying sheds and took them to the next HOA and fought City Hall. I won when one of the BOD' photo was in my selection!!

On another note, now I'm getting worried about Time Share annual condo fees. They have been rising sharply too. I have a nice Time Share in Orlando that we use regularly either staying there or trading to some other location or week. I bought a very nice two bedroom unit with a floating week. We paid it off years ago and it has been with us for a long time. However, there are condo fees like any other condo and then fees to belong to the TimeShare trading Associations like RCI or Interval International. Right now between the condo fees and the Interval International Membership fee it costs us about $800 a year I think. I don't think I could rent a similar place for that for a week but still, its almost killing the savings of owning a Time Share.
Posted on: 2011/7/12 22:46

Vetron87 Re: Home Owners Associations ..... [PR&C]
Elite Guru
Granger, Indiana
1988 Posts

Our HOA dues are $145/year. Pays for decorations at the entrance ie. 4th of July, Christmas etc., maintenence on the fountains in the lakes on the golf course. They control everything on the exterior of your home. I sat on the board for two years, its fu(*^$% amazes me what people want to do with their homes. One numb nut wanted to put wild growth and wild field grass in his yard instead of sod, another what to paint his brick house white with pink shutters (what do you expect from an attorney) yet another wanted a red roof with his last name on it. Yards must be maintained and shrubs trimed. It works.
The area we lived before I built this house also had a HOA they were good also.$75/month but it included parties for each season, ie octoberfest became drunk fest, Christmas party got out of hand when we decorated one of the wives as an elf! a Sleeeeezeee Elf, and performed sex on the outdoor Santa in his sleigh. Memorable moment worth the $75/month fee, gawd you should have seen her on the 4th shooting ....never mind.
Posted on: 2011/7/12 22:54

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

Vetron87 wrote:
One numb nut wanted to put wild growth and wild field grass in his yard instead of sod, .

Hummmm, that's my yard, but it's zero maintainence.
Posted on: 2011/7/12 23:07

Elite Guru
Granger, Indiana
1988 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:
Quote:

Vetron87 wrote:
One numb nut wanted to put wild growth and wild field grass in his yard instead of sod, .

Hummmm, that's my yard, but it's zero maintainence.

Yea see if I had your land and view I'd build a fricking compound. I love the country setting of praire grass and wild shit (Poison Ivy) growing uncontolably when I busting my ass off to keep up my property so it won't depreciate anymore... drink the Kool Aid Ron..
Posted on: 2011/7/12 23:12

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

If you are a free spirited person that doesn't like being told what to do than an HOA is not for you. If you prefer an overseer that demands compliance and uniformity than an HOA may well be right up your alley. You can find parties with women boinking and felating Santa or shooting bottle rockets from her bottle holder on the 4th of July without belonging to an HOA. Stuff like that happens everywhere.
Posted on: 2011/7/12 23:20

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:
If you are a free spirited person that doesn't like being told what to do than an HOA is not for you. If you prefer an overseer that demands compliance and uniformity than an HOA may well be right up your alley. You can find parties with women boinking and felating Santa or shooting bottle rockets from her bottle holder on the 4th of July without belonging to an HOA. Stuff like that happens everywhere.

We used to do "Bottle Rocket Warfare" @ 50 paces. They do tend to make your "Launch Hand" black though.

Did you know that, on the freeway, a bottle rocket held out the window will pace your car @ 70mph for a fullsecond and a half before arching towards the car you're shooting at?
Posted on: 2011/7/12 23:25

Elite Guru
Granger, Indiana
1988 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:
Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:

We used to do "Bottle Rocket Warfare" @ 50 paces. They do tend to make your "Launch Hand" black though.

Did you know that, on the freeway, a bottle rocket held out the window will pace your car @ 70mph for a fullsecond and a half before arching towards the car you're shooting at?

Did you know that if you throw an egg from a convertible at the car ahead of you at 65mph the egg will hit the hot blond in the back seat. Gawd high physics.
Posted on: 2011/7/12 23:33

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Just to let you know, you don't have to be an HOA member to live in the land of control freaks. Coral Gables, a city in Miami-Dade County, has all kinds of rules and regulations from decibal levels of leaf blowers to parking pick up trucks behind a 6' high fenced in area that can't be seen from the street and no commercial vehicles allowed, hence magnetic signs on vans and pick ups. Realtors signs for sale or rental homes are about 1'x 9" and out by the street. The list of ordinances goes on and on.
Posted on: 2011/7/12 23:34

Elite Guru
Granger, Indiana
1988 Posts

Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:
Just to let you know, you don't have to be an HOA member to live in the land of control freaks. Coral Gables, a city in Miami-Dade County, has all kinds of rules and regulations from decibal levels of leaf blowers to parking pick up trucks behind a 6' high fenced in area that can't be seen from the street and no commercial vehicles allowed, hence magnetic signs on vans and pick ups. Realtors signs for sale or rental homes are about 1'x 9" and out by the street. The list of ordinances goes on and on.

I wouldn't handle that much control very well! I never had any compliants when I would park my Diamond T Reo tandom Axle dump truck in front of the house when I came home for lunch when building houses, they got a little anal when the rear tires would leave gouges in the asphalt in a hot summer day. I think the key the HOA success is consistancy and commonsense. Jacking up an old Studebacker on blocks in the front would go over like a turd in the punch bowl, but no problem with the same Studebacker parked in front of the house is cool. I did get some evil stares when I fired up the 55 Chevy once with open headers.
Posted on: 2011/7/12 23:44

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:

We're not allowed to shoot our 9mms off of the deck.
Posted on: 2011/7/12 23:51

Elite Guru
Granger, Indiana
1988 Posts

Can you pee off your deck at night?
Posted on: 2011/7/12 23:57

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

Vetron87 wrote:

Shussssssssssss, that's a sekret.
Posted on: 2011/7/13 0:01

Elite Guru
Granger, Indiana
1988 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:
Quote:

Vetron87 wrote:

Shussssssssssss, that's a sekret.

Or in broad day light! depends on what time the party started.
Posted on: 2011/7/13 0:07

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:
Quote:

Ultraman wrote:
Quote:

Matatk wrote:

Matthew

Fixed it for ya.......

haha!
Posted on: 2011/7/13 2:12

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Quote:

Vetron87 wrote:

Only if there's a navy guy underneath...
Posted on: 2011/7/13 2:13

Elite Guru
1114 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:
Quote:

Vetron87 wrote:

Thats just wrong...
Posted on: 2011/7/13 3:58

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:
Quote:

Vetron87 wrote:

Complaints? That would be against Matatk spelled M..A..T..A..T..K
Posted on: 2011/7/13 4:05

Elite Guru
1114 Posts

Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:
Quote:

Matatk wrote:
Quote:

Vetron87 wrote:

LOL, there are some very senior Navy guys here. Be careful,
Posted on: 2011/7/13 4:06

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Quote:

Steve40th wrote:
Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:
Quote:

Matatk wrote:
Quote:

Vetron87 wrote:

LOL, there are some very senior Navy guys here. Be careful,

It was a reference to daily chat
Posted on: 2011/7/13 11:41

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.