Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
316 user(s) are online (264 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Offset
The distance from the wheel mounting flange to the imaginary centerline of the wheel. Wheels with negative offset will protrude outwards more, while...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

bogus Jeep Cherokee Question
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

The serpentine belt squeaks like a banshee! Very loud. I am currently using a Gates Micro V-Groove belt.

Would going to the Goodyear gatorback belt fix this? The belt feels tight... all the accessories are good, and when I do use belt dressing, it quiets right up.

1993 Jeep Cherokee, I-6, 2wd, Air Conditioning.

Thoughts?
Posted on: 2011/10/6 1:56
Edited by bogus on 2012/2/13 7:11:04

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

1Fast04Vert Re: Jeep Cherokee Question
Elite Guru
The hills of N. Georgia
2424 Posts

Sounds like a well worn belt.
Posted on: 2011/10/6 2:23

CentralCoaster Re: Jeep Cherokee Question
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Belt slip causes heat, causes the belt to break down. Basically the rubber hardens and looses grip. Vicious cycle.

Replace it and tighten it well the first time, and don't use belt dressing.
Posted on: 2011/10/6 2:56

tjpreul Re: Jeep Cherokee Question
Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
1103 Posts

Have you cleaned the pullies. I had this issue on a previous car. The squeak was caused by the outside two ribs of the a/c compressor being dirty.
Posted on: 2011/10/6 3:51

'92 auto, MSD, Banski, Taylor wires, SS lines, C5 rims, 3.07 gears, white gauges, seats from a '96.

Motor: Forged rotating assy, Probe pistons, CC valvetrain, AFR heads, Procharger P1SC

bogus Re: Jeep Cherokee Question
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I can check the pulley's.

This is a new belt... and it's tight... that's what is bugging me.

I may try a different brand. The Microgroove has always squeaked on this thing.

And here comes the next viscous cycle - I tighten, it stretches, I tighten... at some point, this fails...
Posted on: 2011/10/6 6:29

rklessdriver Re: Jeep Cherokee Question
Senior Guru
Woodbridge, VA
1318 Posts

I'd replace the belt and clean the idler pulley (the one near the water neck) with some sand paper.

I've replaced that entire pully on ours a coupe of times and once the paint wears off the contact surface of the new pulley it squeels like crazy until everything warms up. Last time it started this crap I took some sand paper and roughed up the contact surface a little. It's been good for a while now.
Will
Posted on: 2011/10/6 15:33

1972 Corvette. LS5 454 BBC with M20 4 speed.
Best Pass - Doing good to just pass a gas station.

Andrew Re: Jeep Cherokee Question
2013 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Jefferson City, MO
447 Posts

Yep, sandpaper and cleaning the pulleys should fix it. This happened on my 99 TJ, after cleaning, sanding, and purchasing the cheapest belt I could find, no more problems.
Posted on: 2011/10/7 0:22

Sold - 1996 Competition Yellow LT4 - DRM 383, NX N2O, Line Lock, LT Headers, 3" stainless exhaust, Power Effects, and many more mods

SOLD 1996 Competition Yellow LT4
SOLD 1979 4 Speed with 383

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I will try the sandpaper trick! Good idea!
Posted on: 2011/10/7 1:25

NelsonV Re: Jeep Cherokee Question
Senior Guru
Sunny Southern CA
245 Posts

Andy-

Try squirting some very diluted soap water on each pulley. It might help you isolate the culprit pulley, and will wash off easily wish no residue.

Last year I spent hours chasing my tail in the Chevelle convinced that the PS pump was either bad or misaligned or in some other fashion was causing my horrendous squeal. I was convinced the alternator belt was "tight enough." I finally wised up and and using soapy water figured out it was the alternator belt after all. Just a little more tension fixed the squeal. In your case, you may find a pulley that's just a little too shiny.

For the record, I am using Goodyear Gatorback belts. For everyone else's info, these are wrapped around March Perf. pulleys.

PS I meant to tell you this last week, but I may have been somewhat impaired.
Posted on: 2011/10/7 4:59

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

somewhat impaired? more then likely the understatement of the week!

However, I think by accident I have narrowed it... the water pump pulley.

I will test the theory this weekend, I hope. If the poor thing ever sits still long enough!!
Posted on: 2011/10/7 16:13

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Update... I have been ignoring this problem whilst working on the Vette.

Figured it out... The lower radiator hose has been dripping minor amounts of coolant onto the belt. What I thought was belt treatment was a build up of coolant and goo.

I replaced the belt a couple of days ago, and cleaned the pulleys. I hadn't yet noticed the drip.

Last night, I noticed the drip... Perhaps I made it bigger? I donno, but this morning, the new belt felt like the old belt, and it didn't have any treatment on it. Soooo... it makes me think the coolant leak had been there for a while. This morning, I crawl under and see the tell tail sign of a coolant leak on the lower rad hose to the motor. I give it a couple of turns.

Today, bastet gets home and I had told her to park it in the back, so I am checking and there is this massive leak at the TOP of the radiator! I need a new rad... something has eaten through it.

Off to get a rad tonight... yee-ha... but I have found the problem with the belt.
Posted on: 2012/1/19 22:09

joeld Re: Jeep Cherokee Question
Guru
Lawrenceville Ga
718 Posts

I sure hope this year model is not like a 2002. The radiator comes out from the front on those! Lots of work just for a rad change.

Joel
Posted on: 2012/1/19 22:52

RickAnthony Re: Jeep Cherokee Question
ASE Master Certified
Downers Grove, IL
703 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
Update... I have been ignoring this problem whilst working on the Vette.

Figured it out... The lower radiator hose has been dripping minor amounts of coolant onto the belt. What I thought was belt treatment was a build up of coolant and goo.

I replaced the belt a couple of days ago, and cleaned the pulleys. I hadn't yet noticed the drip.

Last night, I noticed the drip... Perhaps I made it bigger? I donno, but this morning, the new belt felt like the old belt, and it didn't have any treatment on it. Soooo... it makes me think the coolant leak had been there for a while. This morning, I crawl under and see the tell tail sign of a coolant leak on the lower rad hose to the motor. I give it a couple of turns.

Today, bastet gets home and I had told her to park it in the back, so I am checking and there is this massive leak at the TOP of the radiator! I need a new rad... something has eaten through it.

Off to get a rad tonight... yee-ha... but I have found the problem with the belt.

Took the words out of my keyboard.. was going to suggest a leak since it seems you already tried a few things.. get a few drops of coolant on a belt and they squeek.. sometimes even cleaning with water or solvents doesn't help it go away.. cleaning and replacing the belt after fixing the leak of course sometimes is what's needed..

glad you found it.. noises can drive ya nuts!
Posted on: 2012/1/19 23:29
RickAnthonyMotorsports.NET

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

it appears as tho I have 2 leaks!

These jeep rads are cheap shit, too... aluminum with plastic tanks. yuck.

It appears as tho something at the top has failed. I am getting another cheap one, for $100 they last 5 years. So who cares?
Posted on: 2012/1/20 0:43

Senior Guru
Woodbridge, VA
1318 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
it appears as tho I have 2 leaks!

These jeep rads are cheap shit, too... aluminum with plastic tanks. yuck.

It appears as tho something at the top has failed. I am getting another cheap one, for $100 they last 5 years. So who cares?

Did you think about getting one of the welded all alum imported radiators on ebay?

They are as cheap as a stock replacement, they have gotten some god press on the Jeep forums and I have one of their products in Elsie's 79 Corvette and it's doing great so far.

Those places are all out in CA near you, so you could probally pick it up.
Will

Posted on: 2012/1/21 2:16

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Too late... but I will consider it next time!

The biggest problem is that the AC condenser got bent in an accident (prior owner). So fitment gets funky, yo.

I got something from O'Rielly's for $109 and change. It will be moderately crappy. These things are woefully under cooled.

Posted on: 2012/1/21 3:21

Senior Guru
Woodbridge, VA
1318 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
I got something from O'Rielly's for $109 and change. It will be moderately crappy. These things are woefully under cooled.

LOL. You got (ALL) that right!!
Posted on: 2012/1/21 4:07

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Ok... drove it today, seems to be burped. They are a pain to burp... no vent thing.

I am running about 70/30 water/coolant. Don't need freeze protection here, so water it is. Seems to be running fine. The pressure washing has cleared a majority of the goo and the belt seems rather quiet. So time will tell on that.

I still have a gnarly oil leak at the front, but it will have to wait.

Posted on: 2012/1/21 19:39

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Ok... belt is now quiet! Yay!

There seems to be a problem, tho... these Jeeps are woefully under cooled. Seriously so.

The original owner had a small accident. That accident bent the AC condenser and this allows the rad and the condenser to touch. My logic dictates that if they are touching, it is passing AC heat to the engine cooling system directly, not allowing an air gap for proper flow, causing the engine to run hot.

I just replaced the cheap shit rad with another cheap shit rad, but also just found on ebay a more expensive unit that is all welded aluminum. Nice looker. About $170.00.

I am thinking of replacing the replacement with that aluminum, replacing the AC condenser, and upgrading to R134. I know I need rubber hoses for the R132. If I do the 134 conversion properly, I will need a compressor and rubber hoses for a R134 systems.

There is an external trans cooler, but it passes through the radiator to the external unit, in series. What about getting a manual (all aluminum) radiator and larger external ATF cooler?

Thoughts?

I am concerned because bastet44 is planning on driving to Tuscon AZ in July... and I don't want it to overheat. 115F is really hot.

Currently, I have a dual electric fan setup, vs the OEM mechanical and electric fan.
Posted on: 2012/2/13 7:03

Senior Guru
Woodbridge, VA
1318 Posts

I don't know that much about the AC stuff... however I've converted a few cars to 134 and all I had to change was the o-rings....

IF you do decide to buy an all alum radiator, I would convert to a manual tranny radiator then use a larger external tranny cooler.... IMO it's just better as you get the tranny heat out of the engine coolant. You also get a few more flues of engine coolant in the radiator (since they aren't taken up by the internal tranny cooler).

Thats gonna be expensive thou... $170 for a radiator, $60 for a tranny cooler and whatever for the misc AC stuff you'll need.

If I were in your shoes I'd probally, keep what it has and get in there and straighten out the condensor so it doesn't contact the radiator. If you can't straighten it enough then replace it.
Will

Posted on: 2012/2/13 17:53

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

That's my worry... straightening the condenser... I am not sure I can pull that off without taking it out. Then, if I do sort that out, have I hurt it?

ugh... I just want it to be safe for AZ in July.

The compressor is also making a racket, so a new one of those may not hurt.
Posted on: 2012/2/13 17:58

Matatk Re: Jeep Cherokee Question
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

I think in your climate an external trans cooler is a good idea. Up here, we need the trans fluid to go through the radiator first, in the winter it acts as a trans fluid warmer while things get up to operating temp.
Posted on: 2012/2/13 21:26

Matatk Re: Jeep Cherokee Question
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

Also, as far as the AC conversion, I've heard of just swapping the o-rings with no problems, but I can seem to find a concrete answer in writing. I was looking in to that for the vette conversion.
Posted on: 2012/2/13 21:27

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.