Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
199 user(s) are online (145 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  TPI
Tuned Port Injection. A method of fuel injection, used on the early C4 Corvette L98 motor, (1985-1991). ...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

TommyT-Bone Collectors/Exotics Car Insurance
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33770 Posts

Got this in an email. The initial quote came in really low. What do the gurus think about this or other insurance options? I have 2 garaged and three carported cars. The carported ones make it more difficult to find coverage for them. I am currently covered by State Farm to the tune of about $350 a month for the 5 sportscars only.

http://content.mecum.com/vo/?FileID=6 ... 11-4198-aa17-43462e88a916
Posted on: 2013/5/29 20:24
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

1Fast04Vert Re: Collectors/Exotics Car Insurance
Elite Guru
The hills of N. Georgia
2424 Posts

Google NCM, and then the insurance tab. Adam Boca will get you a good quote.
Posted on: 2013/5/29 20:50

TommyT-Bone Re: Collectors/Exotics Car Insurance
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33770 Posts

I chatted with Adam a few years back. Most want the car garaged. A couple (inclding NCM) may insure a carported vehicle with underwriters approval. Guess I'll have to provide more info on the vehicle storage, like behind a fenced, locked gate and provide pics of the carport. I'm approaching this a little more seriously now since I want to scale back expences. Thanks Andy.
Posted on: 2013/5/29 21:59

BillH Re: Collectors/Exotics Car Insurance
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

You want to trust an auction company??????

Did you search on CF?

I'd also search "insurance" on www.ncrs.org .....I think you can go on there and search for a short time without joining. If not I can do it for you.

There were a bunch of discussions on this including the companies the guys weren't happy with and who they were happy with. And all those guys have collector's insurance.
Posted on: 2013/5/29 22:38

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33770 Posts

Mecum is through American Modern Insurance Group.

http://www.amig.com/
Posted on: 2013/5/30 2:00

Matatk Re: Collectors/Exotics Car Insurance
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22807 Posts

The reason I don't necessarily like collector's insurance is the rules...some upfront and some hidden. Ie - garaged like you mentioned, mileage restrictions, won't cover you if it's not a show, etc.
Posted on: 2013/5/30 3:32

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:

Same as NCM.
Posted on: 2013/5/30 14:33

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:
I chatted with Adam a few years back. Most want the car garaged. A couple (inclding NCM) may insure a carported vehicle with underwriters approval. Guess I'll have to provide more info on the vehicle storage, like behind a fenced, locked gate and provide pics of the carport. I'm approaching this a little more seriously now since I want to scale back expences. Thanks Andy.

Scroll down to "Garage"

http://www.ncminsurance.com/faq
Posted on: 2013/5/30 14:34

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Make sure that you know....

"Agreed Value versus Stated Amount

There seems to be a bit of confusion among non-insurance folk about the difference between “agreed value” policies and “stated amount” policies. Don’t worry, it’s probably done by design when the insurance underwriters (rarely) get together with the insurance marketers. Anyway, let’s clear things up.

When a piece of property is covered, whether it’s a boat or classic car, etc., insurance companies charge a rate that corresponds to the value of the piece of property. In most cases, values are well-known and can be verified by independent 3rd party sources like the National Automobile Dealer’s Association (NADA) or Kelley Blue Book. However, when you veer off the beaten path into special interest items, market values are not so clear-cut, and insurance pricing becomes more difficult. Enter Agreed Value and Stated Amount.
"Here’s the main difference between Agreed Value and Stated Amount. Stated Amount policies are priced based upon what you say the item you’re insuring is worth. If you have a loss, the stated amount is the ceiling (maximum) the insurer will pay for that item. At the time of the loss, if market data determines that your item was worth less than you say it was, you will be paid less unless you can convice your insurance company otherwise. Agreed Value, on the other hand, is an amount that you and your agent/insurer agree your item is worth ahead of time. The rate you pay is based on this amount, and if you have a total loss of said item, that is the amount you’ll get for it.

Generally speaking, Agreed Value policies are more carefully underwritten to prevent the obvious fraud potential. But, from a consumer’s point of view, I’d have to say they are a superior policy. If you’d like a quote on an Agreed Value policy for one of your special belongings, give one of our agents a call."
Posted on: 2013/5/30 14:36

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:
The reason I don't necessarily like collector's insurance is the rules...some upfront and some hidden. Ie - garaged like you mentioned, mileage restrictions, won't cover you if it's not a show, etc.

Really?
Posted on: 2013/5/30 14:37

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33770 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:

Scroll down to "Garage"

http://www.ncminsurance.com/faq

Sweet. I'll check it out.
Posted on: 2013/5/30 14:40

captmike13 Re: Collectors/Exotics Car Insurance
Elite Guru
Hillsboro Mo
2166 Posts

Tommy have you checked out Hagerty.
Posted on: 2013/5/30 15:10

captmike13@yahoo.com

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

captmike13 wrote:

Lot of NCRS guys complaining about their rates increasing every year but some seem satisfied.
Posted on: 2013/5/30 15:13

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

One note, guys who have had claims With State Farm are unbelievably pissed off.
Posted on: 2013/5/30 15:14

94BlueToy Re: Collectors/Exotics Car Insurance
Senior Guru
Beach, ND
192 Posts

I just checked into a couple of Collector Car insurance companies and found that:

1) The car must be in a locked garage at all times when not in a car show or in route to a car show. It cannot sit out overnight in your driveway or carport.

2) You can drive it up to 2500 miles a year included pleasure but you cannot leave the car unattended at any time. You may not use it to run errands, go to the mall or any place it would be left unattended. These are their words.
Posted on: 2013/5/30 15:19

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33770 Posts

Quote:

captmike13 wrote:

http://www.hagerty.com/Collector-car- ... e/Does-my-vehicle-qualify
Posted on: 2013/5/30 16:49

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33770 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:
One note, guys who have had claims With State Farm are unbelievably pissed off.

I wouldn't know. I never filed a claim. They did pay well on my 90 Custom Bronco. I had a custom paint rider though. Hurricane Andrew brutalized the paint and glass. They paid for it all except for $500. I could buy an 80's Corvette with what I pay in premiums every year.
Posted on: 2013/5/30 16:53

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33770 Posts

I'm in communication with Adam @ NCM. I'll let y'all know the outcome. I sent him some pics of the carport. I'm sure he'll do what he can.
Posted on: 2013/5/30 17:00

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33770 Posts

I recently checked out The Hartford too through AARP. Many of those companies will work out if you have them garage kept. Hell, two years ago I didn't have a garage. At least now I have two in the garage. Maybe I'll have to build another garage.
Posted on: 2013/5/30 17:04

Matatk Re: Collectors/Exotics Car Insurance
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22807 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:
Quote:

Matatk wrote:

Really?

Yes.
Posted on: 2013/5/30 23:06

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33770 Posts

No go from NCM. Living in a hurricane prone zone led to a negative response. Looks like I'll just have to continue to pay if I want to play. I guess I could insure just the two convertibles that sit in the gargage. That would at least offer some savings. PIP/Liability take up the lions share of our insurance. Comp and Collision only add a couple hunderd bucks a year per vehicle. There should be some type of bundling insurance for auto liabily and personal injury, after all, how many vehicles can you drive at one time. Then pay the comp and collision on a per vehicle basis, but that makes too much sense (and too little profit). I feel a Tourettes episode coming on.
Posted on: 2013/5/30 23:39

Ultraman Re: Collectors/Exotics Car Insurance
2015 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Huskerland
14757 Posts

.....orrrr you could thin out the fleet and replace with a newer car that you drive all the time because it's so much damn fun.....just thinking out loud......I love your cars but the upkeep has to be a lot of work..I'm thinking.....

We have 8 vehicles and 4 trailers some personal some business that we pay commercial on.....My State Farm guy never misses sending us a card at Christmas or any of our birthdays even the kids....If I told you how much per month it would shock me...so I can't.
Posted on: 2013/5/31 0:58

Vote DeSantis in 2024.... Make the IRS go away...

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33770 Posts

Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:

I just got a quote from NCM for 2 cars, underwritten by none other than American Modern. Rates are half what I pay State Farm. If I had a 3 car garage built it would damn near pay for itself.
Posted on: 2013/5/31 19:47

1Fast04Vert Re: Collectors/Exotics Car Insurance
Elite Guru
The hills of N. Georgia
2424 Posts

Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:
Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:

I just got a quote from NCM for 2 cars, underwritten by none other than American Modern. Rates are half what I pay State Farm. If I had a 3 car garage built it would damn near pay for itself.

Enclose the carport?
Posted on: 2013/5/31 20:09

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33770 Posts

Quote:

1Fast04Vert wrote:
Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:
Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:

Enclose the carport?

I would basicly have to rebuild the carport with metal panels and possibly mount rolling metal doors on the front. I thought about it but a freestanding metal structure might be better. I have room for it. It's just that the cost would be about as much as buying one of the cars. It's something to look into over the next few years. My neighbor wants to build a Garage Mahal. He even suggested we build one back to back on our properties so we could both use the tools, lift, etc. He's a pretty good wrench. You have to be pretty good neighbors to pull that off. I think we actually could. He has a 49 Ford pick up and a 67 Mustang. You could always wall it off at the property line if it came time to sell. I'm sure zoning would have an issue with it as well.
Posted on: 2013/5/31 20:56

GRIS Re: Collectors/Exotics Car Insurance
Elite Guru
OKLAHOMA
7679 Posts

Quote:

94BlueToy wrote:
I just checked into a couple of Collector Car insurance companies and found that:

1) The car must be in a locked garage at all times when not in a car show or in route to a car show. It cannot sit out overnight in your driveway or carport.

2) You can drive it up to 2500 miles a year included pleasure but you cannot leave the car unattended at any time. You may not use it to run errands, go to the mall or any place it would be left unattended. These are their words.

I CONSIDERED A CLASSIC POLICY WITH USAA BUT THEY HAD A BUNCH OF RESTRICTIONS AS IN 2) ABOVE. I JUST WENT WITH THE REGULAR POLICY AS ON MY OTHER VEHICLES. IT COST A LITTLE MORE, BUT NO RUNNING ERRANDS? GIVE ME A BREAK. THAT'S A FLYPAPER CLAUSE, DESIGNED TO DISQUALIFY.
Posted on: 2013/6/11 15:39

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33770 Posts

Like GRIS just mentioned. It costs between $15 and $25 a month, depending on which car it is and to use it however we want (outside of track events that we haven't been going to lately because the program is suspended for lack of overseers unless we want to sign up for DE) It's when you have a bunch of vehicles that all adds up. They should have a liability, comp and collision policy on the person. Whatever they drive, both they and the vehicle they drive would be covered up to their insured limits. That way if i drive a Ferrari, I'm covered. If I drive a VW, I'm covered. This makes too much sense though. It's too easy and not enough money to be made by interested parties. P.S. If any insurance companies plan to steal this policy idea, I'm claiming this idea as my own unless somebody has already claimed it. Then it's theirs. Note the date and time stamp posted.
Posted on: 2013/6/11 16:02

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:

depending on which car it is and to use it however we want (outside of track events that we haven't been going to lately because the program is suspended for lack of overseers unless we want to sign up for DE) .

Uh-huh.

http://www.homesteadmiamispeedway.com ... ne-2013/PBOC-June-15.aspx
Posted on: 2013/6/11 16:07

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.