Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
330 user(s) are online (275 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  C5
Abbreviation for the 5th generation of Corvettes built from 1997-2004....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

JDSWHITE93 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis
Senior Guru
Ohio
334 Posts

I've needed a new daily driver for quite some time now. I finally bought something. I bought a 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis. I know the demographic of who buys them is usually 50+ and I'm 33 but I LOVE THIS CAR !! I got X plan pricing on it with a little help from my brother so I got invoice plus $6500.00 in rebates ! I got it for $18K and again I love this car !!! The magazine reviews are blah but they hate the C4 too so shows ya what they know. It was $18K including tax !! If anyone else is considering one the rebate is $5500.00 without X plan and you can get one for invoice without it anyways you just can't get the extra $1000.00 in rebate cash from Ford. Anybody else have a newer Merc or Crown Vic ?
I wonder what it runs in the 1/4 stock ? I'm thinking some 3.55 rear gears
would be money well spent lol When the weather breaks I'll post a pic of our Red White and Blue car collection.

2008 Mercury Red
1993 Corvette White
2005 Jeep Blue
Posted on: 2008/1/25 5:28
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

bogus RE:2008 Mercury Grand Marquis
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

lets put it this way... the Crown Vic isn't selected for it's straight line performance.

They are 17 second cars... but they ride like a dream and will get honest mid- to upper 20s mpg on the highway.

Personally, I like them. They are nice rides and very durable.
Posted on: 2008/1/25 5:54

JDSWHITE93 RE:2008 Mercury Grand Marquis
Senior Guru
Ohio
334 Posts

Quote:
lets put it this way... the Crown Vic isn't selected for it's straight line performance.

They are 17 second cars... but they ride like a dream and will get honest mid- to upper 20s mpg on the highway.

Personally, I like them. They are nice rides and very durable.

17s ain't bad actually, all she needs is a higher stall, some gears, a cam change and a shot of nitrous lol I won't mess with it just curious what it is supposed to do. There are NO specs for it online I can find and with 40 miles and snow I have yet to floor the big bastage. I wonder if it will spin the tires lol First dry day I'm turning off the traction control and testing it for scientific purposes of course.
Posted on: 2008/1/25 6:01

movnviolation RE:2008 Mercury Grand Marquis
Guru Newb
Hesperia, Calif
188 Posts

Crown Vic's and Grand Marquis are great cars. Been driving Vics for years in my work before retiring. Bought an 06 Lincoln Town Car last year (basically same car) and could not be happier. Gets 25mpg on trips. It was between the Town Car and a newer vette. I love my 89 so it was the Lincoln.
You made a good choice in the Marquis!
Posted on: 2008/1/25 6:29

Senior Guru
Ohio
334 Posts

Quote:
Crown Vic's and Grand Marquis are great cars. Been driving Vics for years in my work before retiring. Bought an 06 Lincoln Town Car last year (basically same car) and could not be happier. Gets 25mpg on trips. It was between the Town Car and a newer vette. I love my 89 so it was the Lincoln.
You made a good choice in the Marquis!

I was looking at a Civic Si sedan of all things before I bought the big Mercury. My taste in cars is all over the place I like all sorts of stuff but for the money the Merc is a helluva deal. The magazine reviews are complete bullshit.
Posted on: 2008/1/25 10:36

toptechx6 RE:2008 Mercury Grand Marquis
Senior Guru
south Florida
362 Posts

Congratulations JD,nice ride and love the fact that you bought American. Support all those local jobs there in Cleveland.
Before anyone starts I know the argument about the ricers being built here, but face facts the bulk of the profits go overseas. There are good quality cars built here again, Americans should be buying them.
Posted on: 2008/1/25 10:50

CasetheCorvetteman RE:2008 Mercury Grand Marquis
Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

A what? Durable Ford? When it reaches 1 million miles with nothing ever rebuilt, THEN and only then, will i accept it as being durable. What youre talking about here is a "silk purse from a sow's ear".

A Mercedes Benz is a great car, and very durable too. My mum has a 95 C-180 with 240,XXX on the odometer, not one thing ever done to it yet and it drives just as exceptional as the day she got it.

1.8L double over head cam inline 4, once it gets up and moving its very quick for a car that weighs this much, the ride is simply impecable, it handles so bloody good its not funny. Its simply one of the best cars ive ever driven, with the only others topping it also being Mercs. As with every single Merc ive ever driven, the A/C will freeze the balls off a brass monkey, ive never seen another car able to blow so cold, and dual zone A/C has been a Benz thing since way back in the 70s.

Ive never ever driven a Merc i didnt love. There is no question about it they are the best cars made. Ive seen a few people in the US bitch and whinge about them being unreliable, all i can say is i dont know why, cause that has never been as issue here in Australia. I know of some incredibly high miles Mercs getting around over here, i used to drive one that had over 1 million miles on it with nothing ever rebuilt, and the Mercedes Benz mechanic i knew (until he died) had one that he bought new in 74 and had been well over 3.4 million klms, and only work ever done was new valve stem seals, and i know that car still goes strong to this day.

If that isnt bullet proof reliability i dont know what is.
Posted on: 2008/1/25 11:06

Notorious RE:2008 Mercury Grand Marquis
Elite Guru
Downbound train, NC
2184 Posts

It sounds like a nice ride to me. It seems as if you bought it right, taking advantage of a buyers market. Although I've had smaller cars in the past, my current beater is an Altima and that's as small a car as I care to own anymore. Next time I may go larger yet. With the mileage these cars get anymore, why drive a death-trap little shit-box?
Posted on: 2008/1/25 17:13

CSS996 RE:2008 Mercury Grand Marquis
Mega Guru
Central PA
3644 Posts

Most of the Fords I have owned have been very bad to me, but I really like the idea of a big car with a big V8.

But my next car will probably have to be AWD. If they weren't complete piles of shit, I would buy a used Audi A8 AWD. But they just aren't reliable. But that's more-or-less what I want. A personal land jet that I can stretch out in and cruise in style. Maybe some kind of Lexus or something. Very used, of course... I could see myself in an STi too....

Like you, my tastes are all over the place.

I hope your new baby treats you well!

Gots to have pix!
Posted on: 2008/1/25 18:00

Senior Guru
Ohio
334 Posts

Thanks guys, I am thrilled with the Merc, my wife drives the Grand Cherokee and since I bought the 93 and modded the piss out of it I've been stuck driving a Kia Sephia with the blazing 1.8litre and an automatic.
I couldn't buy the Corvette and mod it unless I was driving cheap. I had that Kia for six years
Posted on: 2008/1/26 3:58

Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Hang on a minute, did you buy a Ford or a Mercedes Benz? I couldve sworn you said it was a Ford.
Posted on: 2008/1/26 10:17

Senior Guru
Ohio
334 Posts

I bought a Mercury Grand Marquis, same car as the Ford Crown Victoria except the Crown Vic is fleet sales only now, police cars, taxis etc. These cars run forever. I have a friend who wholesales cars and has had several 300K mile Crown Vics and add to it the thousands of hours they are left running in park and it's amazing.
Posted on: 2008/1/26 19:09

94z07 RE:2008 Mercury Grand Marquis
Guru
94 Posts

Quote:
same car as the Ford Crown Victoria

I thought the difference between the CV and the MGM was lock washers...

Do people slow down when you overtake them at night?

Sounds like you've got yourself a nice car either way
Posted on: 2008/1/26 22:32

TommyT-Bone RE:2008 Mercury Grand Marquis
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Maybe it means your a little mature for your age. I did something like that too when I was 34. It didn't last for long. When I hit 40 the toys all started coming back to roost.
Posted on: 2008/1/26 22:41

biggrizzly RE:2008 Mercury Grand Marquis
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

Most cars can be very reliable if taken care of properly and maintained on a regular basis. Most american's simply put gas in the hole in the side of the car and push the pedal that makes it go. They never look back and never do aother damn thing with the car until it is traded or sold to the next idiot.

JD, nice car! Mercury had a nice display at the Auto Show in DC this weekend. They got some nice vehicles.
Posted on: 2008/1/26 22:43

Senior Guru
Ohio
334 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
same car as the Ford Crown Victoria

I thought the difference between the CV and the MGM was lock washers...

Do people slow down when you overtake them at night?

Sounds like you've got yourself a nice car either way

I've only got 70 miles on it so far but on the way home the other night on the highway when I was comming up on traffic it was a barakelight bonanza.
Posted on: 2008/1/27 1:13

Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Quote:
I bought a Mercury Grand Marquis, same car as the Ford Crown Victoria except the Crown Vic is fleet sales only now, police cars, taxis etc. These cars run forever. I have a friend who wholesales cars and has had several 300K mile Crown Vics and add to it the thousands of hours they are left running in park and it's amazing.

HA!!! 300,000 miles is nothing. I said 1,000,000 miles. When you hit the one million, THEN ill consider it durable
Posted on: 2008/1/27 3:10

Senior Guru
Ohio
334 Posts

Quote:
Quote:

HA!!! 300,000 miles is nothing. I said 1,000,000 miles. When you hit the one million, THEN ill consider it durable

Have you and Brad been drinking again ? I only drive 6000 miles a year in my daily commuter and even if I tripled my driving I would have to drive this Merc. for 50 years and it still would be 100K off the million mark.
Posted on: 2008/1/27 4:15

Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

No not since thismorning.

The 74 Mercedes Benz owned by the Benz mechanic i used to use had over 3.4 million klms on it last time i saw it, still going strong and same owner since new, and the 78 280 SEL my old man had went very strong at well over 1 million miles, the odo was in klms but it was at 634.XXX on its second way around when it stopped working, and it hadnt worked in about 10 years. THAT is durability
Posted on: 2008/1/27 4:25

JDSWHITE93 Re: 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis
Senior Guru
Ohio
334 Posts

update !! nice warm summer day and it will burn one tire like a mofo
Posted on: 2008/5/28 23:13

CentralCoaster Re: 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

I probably would've opted for an LT1 Impala. But if you want longevity, you'll need a 1966 Volvo P1800.

http://www.zercustoms.com/news/1966-V ... 6-Million-Miles-Mark.html

Resized Image
Posted on: 2008/5/28 23:23

Senior Guru
Ohio
334 Posts

A LT1 Impala is cool except around here in the rustbelt they are either garbage falling apart from rust or very nice and as much money as the new Merc. was. I thought about a Marauder except I know I would mod it and beat it senseless. The car I bought is good and boring and it makes my Corvette feel faster lol
Posted on: 2008/5/28 23:27

CentralCoaster Re: 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

That's the whole point, is that Impala is faster and cheaper than the Marauder. Although not nearly as plush.
Posted on: 2008/5/28 23:45

Senior Guru
Ohio
334 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
That's the whole point, is that Impala is faster and cheaper than the Marauder. Although not nearly as plush.

You can't buy a nice Impala around here for cheap, the cheap ones are rust buckets. I looked at 300C Chryslers and Chargers too but I know I would end up beating one of those to death lol
Posted on: 2008/5/28 23:49

pianoguy Re: 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Today I saw a fairly new Grand Marquis with 13" wheels - I had forgotten how ridiculous that look is - LMAO!
Posted on: 2008/5/29 0:20

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

Senior Guru
Ohio
334 Posts

Quote:

pianoguy wrote:
Today I saw a fairly new Grand Marquis with 13" wheels - I had forgotten how ridiculous that look is - LMAO!

My car has 16s and they look a little too small, the 18s on the Marauder look nice. 13s is just stupid, what were they spokes ?
Posted on: 2008/5/29 0:27

pianoguy Re: 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Oh yeah, they were spokes, with little bitty whitewalls. And the thing was going down the highway up in the air, too, which made it look like a big 4x4 on shopping cart wheels.
Posted on: 2008/5/29 0:39

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.