Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
183 user(s) are online (153 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Shark
Any Corvette from model year 1968 to 1982 is loosely referred to as a Shark. Stemming from the Mako concepts and a general acceptance that the C3 lo...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

captmike13 Happy Halloween. Friday 31 October 2014
Elite Guru
Hillsboro Mo
2165 Posts

Good morning gang.

Happy Halloween.

It's going to be cold here today with temps dropping all day. It should start raining on and off around noon and by time the trick or treat gang show up it may be snowing. Yes you read that right snow. Well at least a rain snow mix so more like chunky rain.

Word of the Day Friday, October 31, 2014

cryptesthesia \ krip-tuhs-THEE-zhuh, -zhee-uh, -zee-uh \, noun;

1.Psychology. allegedly paranormal perception, as clairvoyance or clairaudience.

Origin:

Coined in the 1920s, cryptesthesia is a combination of crypt(o)- , meaning "hidden," and esthesia referring to "capacity for sensation or feeling."

7 spooky words for Halloween.

Today is NATIONAL CARAMEL APPLE DAY

One of the fun memories of many people’s childhood is eating caramel apples in the fall of the year. It may have been at a fair, at a carnival, at a Halloween party or just at home with family and friends, but the memory is a good one and part of the fun was making them.

Each year on October 31, we celebrate caramel apples on National Caramel Apple Day.
◦Caramel apples (sometimes called taffy apples) are made by dipping apples, on a stick, in hot caramel.
◦Caramel apples are sometimes sprinkled with nuts, chocolate or other confections.
◦For caramel apples in high production, a sheet of caramel can be wrapped around the apple and then heated to melt the caramel evenly onto it.
◦The most commonly preferred apples used in making caramel apples are tart, crisp apples such as Granny Smith or Fuji apples.
◦Caramel apples are enjoyed by millions of people, young and old, across the nation.
◦This holiday has been perfectly coordinated to coincide with Halloween as that is the post popular time that caramel apples are made and shared.

NATIONAL CARAMEL APPLE DAY HISTORY

National Caramel Apple Day, an “unofficial” national holiday is sponsored by the National Confectioners Association.

NATIONAL MAGIC DAY

The person performing such illusions is called a magician or an illusionist.As part of National Magic Week, National Magic Day is celebrated by magic lovers across America each year on October 31. Magic is described as: “Performing art that entertains audiences by staging tricks of creating illusions of seemingly impossible or supernatural feats using natural means.”

Magical performances have more than likely been performed throughout history. One of the most well known magicians was Harry Houdini. Known for his *escapology, Houdini had developed a range of stage magic tricks and made full use of the range of conjuring techniques, including fake equipment and collusion with individuals in the audience. His show business savvy was as great as his performance skills. Scranton, Pennsylvania is home to the Houdini Museum.

* Escapology is the practice of escaping from restraints or other traps.

There are many different types of magic performances which may fall into one of the falling categories:

Stage illusions – Parlor magic – Platform magic – Micromagic – Escapology – Pickpocket magic – Mentalism – Theatrical seances – Children’s magic – Online magic tricks – Mathemagic – Corporate magic or trade show magic – Gospel magic – Street magic – Bizarre magic – Shock magic – Comedy magic

HAPPY NATIONAL MAGIC DAY!

NATIONAL MAGIC DAY HISTORY

Our research found that National Magic Day, an “unofficial” national holiday is sponsored by the Society of American Magicians. In 1938, a Chicago member of the Society of American Magicians, sought official sanction for a “Houdini” day. This day was sanctioned by Mrs. Houdini and October 31 was proclaimed National Magic Day in Harry Houdini’s memory.
Harry Houdini (March 24, 1974 – October 31, 1926)

NATIONAL KNOCK KNOCK JOKE DAY

Knock Knock

Who’s There?

National

National Who?
National Knock Knock Joke Day!

National Knock Knock Joke day is observed annually on October 31. This holiday is for jokesters of all ages to share their knock knock jokes throughout the day.

-

A little history of the Knock Knock Joke:

-

1929: The game of Buff – A child with a stick thumps it on the ground using the following dialogue:
Knock Knock
Who’s There:
Buff

What says Buff:

Buff say Buff to all his men And I say Buff to you again. 1934: The standard knock knock joke format was used in a newspaper humor column:Knock Knock
Who’s There?Rufus
Rufus Who?
Rufus the most important part of your house.-
1936: Likely the beginning of popularity for knock knock jokes.

Knock knock jokes became a regular part of the Rowan & Martin’s Laugh-in Show in the late 1960′s and early 1970′s.

Children learn to tell knock knock jokes, as one of their first types of jokes, at a very young age.

NATIONAL KNOCK KNOCK JOKE DAY HISTORY

Within our research, we were unable to find the creator and the origin of National Knock Knock Joke Day, an “unofficial” national holiday.

NATIONAL FRANKENSTEIN DAY

The last Friday in October of each year celebrates National Frankenstein Friday. This day celebrates the birth of Frankenstein and it’s creator. Dating back to the 1800′s, Frankenstein is one of the best known horror characters of all times.
◦Created by Mary Shelly at the age of 21, Frankenstein was first published in 1818.
◦Frankenstein was made famous by Boris Karloff in the movie “Frankenstein” in 1931.

NATIONAL FRANKENSTEIN FRIDAY HISTORY

National Frankenstein Friday, an “unofficial” national holiday, was created in 1997 by Ron MacCloskey of Westfield, New Jersey. It is said that Ron choose Friday as the date of celebration because of the “FR” connection in FRiday and FRankenstein.

** August 30 is also known in some sources as Frankenstein Day. August 30 is Mary Shelly’s birthday.

GIRL SCOUT FOUNDERS DAY

Girl Scout Founders Day is celebrated each year on October 31.

Juliette Gordon Low, also known as “Daisy” who was born on October 31, 1860, was the founder of Girl Scouts of the USA, along with the help of Sir Robert Baden-Powell, the founder of the Scouting Movement. In 1912, Low formed a Girl Guide troop in Savannah Georgia and in 1915, the Girl Guides became the Girl Scouts with Low becoming the first president. She remained active with the Girl Scouts until the time of her death in 1927. Low’s birthday, October 31, is celebrated by the Girl Scouts as “Founder’s Day”.

Halloween

Halloween or Hallowe’en (/ˌhæləˈwiːn, -oʊˈiːn, ˌhɑːl-/; a contraction of “All Hallows’ Evening”), also known as Allhalloween, All Hallows’ Eve, or All Saints’ Eve, is a yearly celebration observed in a number of countries on 31 October, the eve of the Western Christian feast of All Hallows’ Day. It initiates the triduum of Allhallowtide, the time in the liturgical year dedicated to remembering the dead, including saints (hallows), martyrs, and all the faithful departed believers. Within Allhallowtide, the traditional focus of All Hallows’ Eve revolves around the theme of using “humor and ridicule to confront the power of death.”[

According to many scholars, All Hallows’ Eve is a Christianized feast initially influenced by Celtic harvest festivals, with possible pagan roots, particularly the Gaelic Samhain. Other scholars maintain that it originated independently of Samhain and has solely Christian roots.

Typical festive Halloween activities include trick-or-treating (or the related “guising”), attending costume parties, decorating, carving pumpkins into jack-o’-lanterns, lighting bonfires, apple bobbing, visiting haunted house attractions, playing pranks, telling scary stories, and watching horror films. In many parts of the world, the Christian religious observances of All Hallows’ Eve, including attending church services and lighting candles on the graves of the dead, remain popular, although in other locations, these solemn customs are less pronounced in favor of a more commercialized and secularized celebration. Because many Western Christian denominations encourage, although no longer require, abstinence from meat on All Hallows’ Eve, the tradition of eating certain vegetarian foods for this vigil day developed, including the consumption of apples, colcannon, cider, potato pancakes, and soul cakes.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halloween
Posted on: 2014/10/31 10:25

captmike13@yahoo.com
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

teebee Re: Happy Halloween. Friday 31 October 2014
2014 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Lakin, Kansas 67860
12364 Posts

Morning guys....I think we'll have quite a bit of "Knock, Knock" tonight. It has turned much cooler, and today they are predicting highs only in the mid 40's. Won't be too nice for the T or Ters. I guess if the wind doesn't blow it won't be as bad.

Short day at school, only a half day. I'll get other stuff done this afternoon.
Posted on: 2014/10/31 12:15

One of Americas' proud Deplorable

Resized Image

Matatk Re: Happy Halloween. Friday 31 October 2014
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

Quote:

teebee wrote:
It has turned much cooler, and today they are predicting highs only in the mid 40's. Won't be too nice for the T or Ters.

Or the TBers.
Posted on: 2014/10/31 12:23

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

Quote:

captmike13 wrote:
Good morning gang.

NATIONAL CARAMEL APPLE DAY HISTORY

Posted on: 2014/10/31 12:26

Ultraman Re: Happy Halloween. Friday 31 October 2014
2015 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Huskerland
14737 Posts

Long day yesterday but weather was not bad....cold front moved in and now its cold and windy...coming back last night with a tailwind cruising 65 with the cruise control on the Duramax with a Honda 4 Trax in the back was getting 25 and 26 mpg.....that's amazing for an 8,000 lb truck...

Today I will work around the place and office and take some nice naps.....

Go forth Guru's and spread the good words.....
Posted on: 2014/10/31 12:27

Vote DeSantis in 2024.... Make the IRS go away...

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

Good Morning CGs!

Well I was up around 4 am, took the kids to the bathroom and then laid back down. In and out of sleep for the next 3 hours before I finally got up. Good thing it's my day off.

Mom said the furnace is working/cycling fine as of last night. I have to go back over there today and install a towel bar, water valve, a few miscellaneous things.

Hope everyone has a great day!

Matthew
Posted on: 2014/10/31 12:30

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

Quote:

Ultraman wrote:

The word of the day is legs.
Posted on: 2014/10/31 12:30

TommyT-Bone Re: Happy Halloween. Friday 31 October 2014
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Quote:

cryptesthesia

I'd like to crawl into a crypt for the evening and have somebody knock me out. Ghouls, gremlins and adorable little kids in costumes just ain't my cup of tea. For some reason Sue always finds one reason or another to come home late on Halloween. I'll be putting in a full day today. My mood and fatigue will not make me the best greeter. Not a big fan of dressing for the occasion either. My guess is BillH will dive right in and dress up like a racecar driver.
Posted on: 2014/10/31 12:33

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:
Quote:

Ultraman wrote:

The word of the day is legs.

I have a few good words I'd like to spread.
Posted on: 2014/10/31 12:37

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:

My guess is BillH will dive right in and dress up like a racecar driver.

At least he can play one for halloween.
Posted on: 2014/10/31 12:39

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

Resized Image
Posted on: 2014/10/31 12:40

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

It's snowing. Seriously. Seriously? Seriously!
Posted on: 2014/10/31 12:48

BrianCunningham Re: Happy Halloween. Friday 31 October 2014
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

Brought in my racing suit for the Halloween contest at work today

Quote:

Matatk wrote:
It's snowing. Seriously. Seriously? Seriously!

May get some snow this weekend as well EEK!

Posted on: 2014/10/31 12:55

BrianCunningham Re: Happy Halloween. Friday 31 October 2014
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

Resized Image
Posted on: 2014/10/31 13:20

istter1 Re: Happy Halloween. Friday 31 October 2014
Elite Guru
Bakersfield Ca
2336 Posts

our first chance of rain here
Posted on: 2014/10/31 13:38

GRIS Re: Happy Halloween. Friday 31 October 2014
Elite Guru
OKLAHOMA
7641 Posts

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL ANCIENT CELTS. DON'T FORGET TO SET AN EXTRA PLACE AT THE SAMHAIN FEAST TONIGHT.

COOL AND HAZY THIS MORNING, PREDICTING A FREEZE TONIGHT. I'M ALL SET, THE DOGS ARE ALL SET, ALL THAT'S LEFT IS FOR DARLING WIFE TO MAKE UP HER MIND WHAT PLANTS SHE WANTS TO SAVE :-0
Posted on: 2014/10/31 15:23

---"yellow is for folks who think a bright red Corvette is too restrained."

pianoguy Re: Happy Halloween. Friday 31 October 2014
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Greetings! Last day of vacation, getting ready to start packing stuff up to go home tomorrow. It went by way too fast as usual.

Happy Halloween, Gurus!
Posted on: 2014/10/31 16:31

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Resized Image
Posted on: 2014/10/31 17:02

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Remember, it is important to exercise, even when you're on vacation. My son went down to the gym to work out, and I did some 12 oz. curls in the hot tub.
Posted on: 2014/10/31 18:24

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Quote:

pianoguy wrote:
Remember, it is important to exercise, even when you're on vacation. My son went down to the gym to work out, and I did some 12 oz. curls in the hot tub.

It's important to stay hydrated when working out. I've been outside for the past six hours. I drank some Gatorade earlier. When I looked at the time I realized it was beer o'clock.
Posted on: 2014/10/31 19:04

Lakin, Kansas 67860
12364 Posts

We've been having T or Ters for the last two hours. We have had almost 250 already. It's cool outside but that isn't slowing them down.
Posted on: 2014/11/1 0:37

Resized Image

Lakin, Kansas 67860
12364 Posts

Ended up with 281 trick or treaters. We have 19 tootsie rolls left out of a case of 300.
Posted on: 2014/11/1 2:53

Resized Image

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Quote:

teebee wrote:
Ended up with 281 trick or treaters. We have 19 tootsie rolls left out of a case of 300.

That means you had 273 trick or treaters. You have to account for the 8 Tootsie Rolls YOU ate. I didn't even have one ghoul. Probably because I had my porch light off and I avoided being near the front of the house. Sue went shopping. She finds some excuse not to be here for Halloween eve year after year.
Posted on: 2014/11/1 11:34

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.